Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Jun 2024, 18:53 (Ref:4216178)   #1101
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I’ll do the consistency lap time spread thing when I get back from holiday.
Thank you, I used a cheap, easy built in function in excel, but that makes it hard to show certain things in a single plot.
Old 20 Jun 2024, 19:01 (Ref:4216180)   #1102
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I tried to show the spread. Then you can see cars that were faster for a few laps and those that won over longer periods. It was quite nice and then when Racecar Engineering did the same I was very happy!
Old 20 Jun 2024, 19:09 (Ref:4216182)   #1103
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sector 3 (average, deficit, standard deviation), based on all S3 times below 99.0 seconds.

Unsurprisingly, S3 shows the largest standard deviation since traffic hurts laptime the most in S3.
Old 20 Jun 2024, 19:17 (Ref:4216185)   #1104
Articus
Veteran

The cutoff laptimes that I used for the dry laptimes in each sector are on the surface not obvious, but when looking at the laptime distribution in the histogram layout, it's obvious that this is where the bell curve ends for the dry laptimes and where the second "bell" begins for the wet laptimes.

As an example, for Toyota laptimes:

In theory, I could rewatch the race, mark the lap numbers where the rain was, and then filter based on lap number but this would be incredibly tedious. I prefer the easy way out...
Old 21 Jun 2024, 14:52 (Ref:4216293)   #1105
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
The #4 Penske car looks like it was running less downforce than the #5 and the #6 Penske cars, but ultimately the #4 car was the slowest Penske car in the dry conditions which highlights the compromise that Penske had to make. Trimming their car out didn't make them faster overall. To chase top speed of the Ferrari and the Toyota, they would have made their cars slower overall. As a general observation, the LMDh cars have more tire wear than the LMH cars which is why it can be useful for them to run more downforce to better protect the tires.
Thanks a lot for more accurate approach that confirmed my visual observations for LMDh drag vs downforce vs laptimes. One might wonder if it looks any different for a car designed primarly for WEC competition which is the Alpine but if this year's race was an accurate representation of what this car can do (maybe next year it's different), then low downforce approach didn't do them much good either.
Old 21 Jun 2024, 15:31 (Ref:4216299)   #1106
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
Thanks a lot for more accurate approach that confirmed my visual observations for LMDh drag vs downforce vs laptimes. One might wonder if it looks any different for a car designed primarly for WEC competition which is the Alpine but if this year's race was an accurate representation of what this car can do (maybe next year it's different), then low downforce approach didn't do them much good either.
The Alpine was an interesting approach this year. They had great top speed, as good as Ferrari and Toyota, but tended to be much slower in the final sector, relative. Also, riding onboards, they were losing a LOT of time in the dirty air of another car in the Porsche curves compared to other cars that I watched onboard. So they were low drag, but with great consequence, seemingly lacking downforce compared to Toyota and Ferrari.

This was also apparent because they were struggling on outlaps and with low front tire temperatures all weekend.

There's a lot to improve with that car for next year. In principle, this should be the best LMDh car on the grid, if you look how much the Acura has to be "slowed" in IMSA competition.
Old 21 Jun 2024, 15:37 (Ref:4216302)   #1107
tomcug
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
In principle, this should be the best LMDh car on the grid, if you look how much the Acura has to be "slowed" in IMSA competition.
Needs a reliable engine first.
Old 21 Jun 2024, 21:53 (Ref:4216343)   #1108
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Needs a reliable engine first.
Too bad they can't use the Honda!
Old 21 Jun 2024, 23:13 (Ref:4216349)   #1109
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Too bad they can't use the Honda!
There's been a rumor brewing that Alpine will race in IMSA soon so it's definitely out of the question.
Old 6 Jul 2024, 17:44 (Ref:4217997)   #1110
tomcug
Veteran

https://en.endurance-info.com/auto/a...-17-kg-ferrari
Once again they put BOP before everybody else. Judging by the title Ferrari is properly adjusted vs Le Mans.
Old 6 Jul 2024, 17:45 (Ref:4217998)   #1111
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
BoP. Brilliant or Pants.

Yeah. The bulletin hasn’t been released yet.

Have they kept the high speed power bump/drop? Could be important on the uphill straight.
Old 6 Jul 2024, 18:19 (Ref:4218001)   #1112
tomcug
Veteran

Gotta wait for someone to publish the tables
Old 6 Jul 2024, 18:39 (Ref:4218003)   #1113
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Gotta wait for someone to publish the tables
Dare!
Old 8 Jul 2024, 10:15 (Ref:4218261)   #1114
tomcug
Veteran

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...sao-paulo-bop/
That's a rather unexpected application of power gain there. Two cars that are quickest in the straight line get some rather generous adjustment (Toyota at 520 kW past 250 kph!). Surely this isn't Le Mans with lots of very long straights but makes you wonder where they get those values from
Old 8 Jul 2024, 11:28 (Ref:4218268)   #1115
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Interesting. How does it look with the other adjustments?
Old 8 Jul 2024, 17:03 (Ref:4218303)   #1116
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Interesting. How does it look with the other adjustments?
I was feeling a bit lazy, so came here hoping for your summary.

I only showed the values below 250km/h:

I know there is the power gain above 250km/h but I think majority of the circuit is below 250km/h and in theory the power gain factor above 250km/h is only meant to balance top speed on the 2 straights, so all cars would be "equally performing" above 250km/h. My intuition says they did a good job with this based on the trends from Spa. Porsche was slowed a small amount. Ferrari was slowed more. BMW, Alpine, Lamborghini all gained a bit. Cadillac is taken back to Spa values.

The curious one is Toyota. If Toyota is quick in Sao Paolo, it will prove that they sandbagged in the first part of the season for more favorable BOP at Le Mans. Otherwise, they'll be just as uncompetitive as the first 3 rounds.

The potential spanner in the works with the adjustments is the bumps and curbs in Sao Paolo. Some cars can handle them better than others. It may lead to unanticipated outcomes. My own assessment is that Alpine and Porsche struggle with bumpy tracks (Sebring, Imola) relative to their rivals. BMW, Cadillac, and Ferrari tend to be strong on bumpy tracks.

Last edited by Articus; 8 Jul 2024 at 17:14.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 17:17 (Ref:4218305)   #1117
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I don’t know how that would prove that they purposely held back their performance, but I am constantly impressed with how people can prove things.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 19:33 (Ref:4218315)   #1118
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
I don’t know how that would prove that they purposely held back their performance, but I am constantly impressed with how people can prove things.
I have not made any conclusions yet. They are just two logical deductions. Based on the parameters at the beginning of the year and how ACO had reverted Toyota to those figures for Sao Paolo, then the Toyota should not be competitive in Sao Paolo.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 19:37 (Ref:4218316)   #1119
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
BoP. Brilliant or Pants.

Is it similar? I must look more. But there are quite a few tweaks.
Are the tracks and the conditions the same? Will then have the same tyre issues as Qatar on that surface and these weights?
Have they got more of a handle on the car based on these changes and latest tyres?
Is it outside normal variations from race to race that show up so easily in this tight field.

I predict everyone else started to sandbag for next year? Or maybe Caddy have for the US race?
Old 8 Jul 2024, 21:49 (Ref:4218327)   #1120
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Are the tracks and the conditions the same? Will then have the same tyre issues as Qatar on that surface and these weights?
Have they got more of a handle on the car based on these changes and latest tyres?
Is it outside normal variations from race to race that show up so easily in this tight field.

I predict everyone else started to sandbag for next year? Or maybe Caddy have for the US race?
You are being facetious here.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 21:50 (Ref:4218328)   #1121
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
BoP. Brilliant or Pants.

Yes. Purposely obviously so. But only in the last bit.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 22:17 (Ref:4218329)   #1122
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
I should be more precise. One of my predictors is simply the difference in power-to-weight and where this value is, relative to how the cars are observed to perform on track. I use Porsche as the reference, and then I compare them with Ferrari and Toyota.

In Qatar, Porsche was 14-15 "BOP points" ahead of Ferrari and Toyota. On the track, they were marginally ahead of Ferrari, and miles ahead of Toyota.

In Imola, Porsche was 3 BOP points ahead of Ferrari and 5 BOP points ahead of Toyota. Ferrari was miles ahead of Porsche but Toyota was behind them.

In Spa, Porsche was 7 BOP points ahead of Ferrari and 5 BOP points ahead of Toyota. Ferrari was ahead in qualifying and in the race until the red flag. Toyota was behind similar to Imola (although Porsche was a bit hobbled in Imola due to weakness of the 963 over the bumps so it's more obvious in Spa)

It's an imperfect science that has uncertainty introduced by race to race self-performance variance and sandbagging, but my general conclusion was that Porsche should be between 10 and 12 BOP points ahead of Ferrari to balance the two on each circuit, and that they should only be around 3-4 BOP points ahead of Toyota to balance them.

The Ferrari target for Sao Paolo is spot on. Porsche is roughly 13 BOP points ahead (so slightly better for Ferrari than Qatar where they were already only 2nd to Porsche in performance). The Toyota value doesn't look correct. Porsche is 10 BOP points ahead of Toyota. This is too much on the evidence of the first 3 races. On a normal circuit, Toyota has never been anywhere close to Porsche unless that margin was less than 5 BOP points so they should be even further behind than Spa and Imola.

The 2 stage power gain system muddies the picture a little bit. Maybe that 520kw above 250km/h for Toyota will compensate for the 10 BOP points deficit below 250km/w, but my assumption was that it was only to balance top speed, not make them much faster. Toyota had only 513kw above 250km/h in Le Mans compared to 511 for Porsche but Toyota was already quicker on the straights at Le Mans. In Sao Poalo it will be 512kw for Porsche against 520kw for Toyota. An increasein delta from 2kw to 8kW in Toyota's favor. Toyota should have an even higher top speed difference to Porsche than they had at Le Mans.

Hopefully they have nailed it in a way that I don't comprehend. Looking forward to a good race.

Last edited by Articus; 8 Jul 2024 at 22:45.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 23:19 (Ref:4218333)   #1123
Articus
Veteran

I decided to also look at it from a different angle, comparing BOP from Le Mans and Sao Poalo which both feature the two stage system.

Specifically I wanted to compare Porsche and Toyota. The values shown are the difference between Toyota and Porsche at Le Mans and Sao Paolo. "Power 1" is below 250km/h and "Power 2" is above 250km/h.

Toyota compared to Porsche at Le Mans:
Weight: +11kg
Power 1: -3kw
Power 2: +2kw

Toyota compared to Porsche At Sao Paolo:
Weight: +9kg
Power 1: -6kw
Power 2: +8kw

The weight difference between Porsche and Toyota is smaller than Le Mans. Only 9kg where it was 11 at Le Mans. Additionally, for the cost of 3kw below 250km/h, Toyota now has 8kw more above 250km/h compared to only +2kw more at that speed for Le Mans.

On this evidence you would predict that Toyota will be ahead of Porsche again and by a larger margin than Le Mans. The weight difference is smaller and the power above 250km/h is even greater than Le Mans. This doesn't make sense to me.

It also contradicts the previous post where I suggested that the Toyota needed to be within 3-4 BOP points of the Porsche to be competitive based on the first 3 rounds. Of course it contradicts because I never believed that Toyota was as slow as they showed in Qatar, Imola, and Spa and that is what the previous post reference was based on. The year on year BOP change shouldn't have produced such an uncompetitive Toyota.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 23:32 (Ref:4218334)   #1124
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
So some variation there.

My main objection to your assertion that it is proof is that it also requires the assumption that only Toyota was sandbagging! And that the ACO haven't noticed in the data that only they do it.

Development of all these cars. The circuit and conditions. The weight and influence on tyres. P/W is not that good a comparison when you then get circuit variation. etc... etc...

It's a hypothesis, not proof. There are other hypotheses that are just as good.

Another way to look at all the variations:
Attached Thumbnails
2024 05 W v Toyota.png   2024 05 P 250- v Toyota.png   2024 05 P 250+ v Toyota.png  

2024 05 PoW 250- v Toyota.png   2024 05 PoW 250+ v Toyota.png  

Last edited by Adam43; 8 Jul 2024 at 23:46. Reason: gram
Old 8 Jul 2024, 23:40 (Ref:4218336)   #1125
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
And now just the numbers

Weight (Kg)
-- Bulletin ----- Track ---TOYOTAGLICKENHAUSORECAPEUGEOTCADILLACFERRARIPORSCHEVANWALLALPINEBMWLAMBORGHINIISOTTA FRASCHINI
8/3/2023Sebring10621030 10491038105710481030    
8/3/2023Portimao10431030 10421035104010451030    
31/5/2023Le Mans10801030 10421046106410481030    
3/7/2023Monza10801030 10461032106910491030    
3/7/2023Fuji10801030 10381039107610541030    
3/7/2023Bahrain10801030 10411037107510531030    
26/10/2023Bahrain10801030 10411030107510461030    
16/2/2024Qatar1089  1030103210751048 1070106010411085
12/4/2024Imola1060  1061103010411033 1042103510341058
4/5/2024Spa1064  1065103010531037 1045103810351060
31/5/2024Le Mans1053  1047103610431042 1038103910391048
5/7/2024Sao Paulo1060  1051103910601051 1044104410391030
  GR010 Hybrid-- 007 LMH -- ---- R13 -------- 9X8 ----- V-Series.R--- 499P -------- 963 ----Vandervell 680A424M Hybrid V8SC63Tipo6-C
Can the Lamborghini get down to that?

Max Power (kW)
-- Bulletin ----- Track ---TOYOTAGLICKENHAUSORECAPEUGEOTCADILLACFERRARIPORSCHEVANWALLALPINEBMWLAMBORGHINIISOTTA FRASCHINI
8/3/2023Sebring517520 518513515517511    
8/3/2023Portimao512520 516513509516512    
31/5/2023Le Mans512520 516513509516512    
3/7/2023Monza507520 520498497506520    
3/7/2023Fuji514520 520505505514520    
3/7/2023Bahrain514520 520504505514520    
26/10/2023Bahrain514520 520504505514520    
16/2/2024Qatar510  520499503505 510506502514
12/4/2024Imola516  510517510508 514511516520
4/5/2024Spa515  508516506507 513510514520
31/5/2024Le Mans508  508509508511 507508519515
5/7/2024Sao Paulo506  510519503512 516512519520
  GR010 Hybrid-- 007 LMH -- ---- R13 -------- 9X8 ----- V-Series.R--- 499P -------- 963 ----Vandervell 680A424M Hybrid V8SC63Tipo6-C

Max Power >250km/h (kW)
8/3/2023Sebring517520 518513515517511    
8/3/2023Portimao512520 516513509516512    
31/5/2023Le Mans512520 516513509516512    
3/7/2023Monza507520 520498497506520    
3/7/2023Fuji514520 520505505514520    
3/7/2023Bahrain514520 520504505514520    
26/10/2023Bahrain514520 520504505514520    
16/2/2024Qatar510  520499503505 510506502514
12/4/2024Imola516  510517510508 514511516520
4/5/2024Spa515  508516506507 513510514520
31/5/2024Le Mans513005045094995110512513511520
5/7/2024Sao Paulo520005105115125120509512514520

And still we don't know what power they get at exactly 250km/h! It's outrageous that there is such uncertainty in the regulations

Energy Allocation (MJ)
8/3/2023Sebring913911 909905908912900    
8/3/2023Portimao904913 908904899910901    
31/5/2023Le Mans908913 908905901910901    
3/7/2023Monza908916 914890893899913    
3/7/2023Fuji907909 908894898906903    
3/7/2023Bahrain908909 908895901909906    
26/10/2023Bahrain908909 908894901908906    
16/2/2024Qatar914  904890902900 909904895917
12/4/2024Imola916  906908904901 909905908920
4/5/2024Spa917  910909905904 913907908923
31/5/2024Le Mans906  895900889904 903904904915
5/7/2024Sao Paulo912  909907905908 910908909915

No change to Docking Time, or Front axle Power delivery speed (wet or dry).

A couple of thoughts:
  • The newer cars for 2024 continue to settle. Isotta Fraschini gets a break. More data for that, Peugeot, BMW and Alpine (and all actually, but it's more important for them).
  • There is something interesting with how these different cars get their speed. They could be seeing that the Toyota and Ferrari need less acceleration (higher weight / lower power), but that needs offsetting at higher speeds (although not completely with others). Hmmm?????????????????????
Attached Thumbnails
2024 05 W.png   2024 05 P 250-.png   2024 05 P 250+.png  

2024 05 PoW 250-.png   2024 05 PoW 250+.png  

Last edited by Adam43; 8 Jul 2024 at 23:52.