Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 13 Jun 2008, 15:51 (Ref:2227887)   #1101
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
as far as I know the race has yet to start....
Last year.......

It doesn't matter whether it's boost or whatever, the teams can run them in differeing specifications for differing situations.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2227889)   #1102
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Is it being implied that they are not running at full boost as allowed in appendix 1, sect A.4 (table)? Or what?

L.P.
It's being implied that the they run less boost in the race than they do in qualifying to reduce stress on the engine and thus reducing the chance of engine or turbo failure.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2227891)   #1103
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r
It's being implied that the they run less boost in the race than they do in qualifying to reduce stress on the engine and thus reducing the chance of engine or turbo failure.
I had the impression that it was being implied that Peugeot was running more boost (than allowed??) to obtain a better showing in practice and during the race......
Old 13 Jun 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2227893)   #1104
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I had the impression that it was being implied that Peugeot was running more boost (than allowed??) to obtain a better showing in practice and during the race......
Or Audi may not have been running maximum boost, we will never know.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2227896)   #1105
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
....which exacerbates the difference between Peugeot going for pole (and running an engine spec that MAY only be reliable for qualifying, not the 24hr's), Audi who are more concerned with a good race set-up, and privateers who don't have the finances or desire to risk their car/engine in qualifying, hence why the ACO will monitor race pace as opposed to qualifying.

Last edited by JAG; 13 Jun 2008 at 16:02.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2227899)   #1106
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
The reason i think Pug were so much faster is the fact that Sebring and all 3 LMS races have shown that the Pug is a fair bit faster in the corners than the Audi, I put it down to chassis more than Turbo boost.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2227915)   #1107
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
The reason i think Pug were so much faster is the fact that Sebring and all 3 LMS races have shown that the Pug is a fair bit faster in the corners than the Audi, I put it down to chassis more than Turbo boost.
I'm sure it's mostly down to the chassis, but I think a second or two are down to a more aggresive engine spec in qualifying, whereas Audi know they can't compete on qualifying pace, so concentrate on race set-up.

PS, hows the LMS mod coming along?
Old 13 Jun 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2227916)   #1108
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
PS, hows the LMS mod coming along?
Work continues on the Phisics and high detail cockpits.

As for the big budget teams being able to use more boost and not have to worry about buying a new engine if they blow it in Qualifying, surely they can stop this buy forcing teams to use there race engine in Qualifying?
Old 13 Jun 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2227929)   #1109
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
....which exacerbates the difference between Peugeot going for pole (and running an engine spec that MAY only be reliable for qualifying, not the 24hr's), Audi who are more concerned with a good race set-up, and privateers who don't have the finances or desire to risk their car/engine in qualifying, hence why the ACO will monitor race pace as opposed to qualifying.
this is all speculation. Do we know at what boost the Audi engine can sustain 24 hours? Why would the engine designers not aim at a sustainable boost at the limit of what ACO prescribes? This not the period of the 1.5 F1 Turbo cars any more, where there was no limitation and we saw these 1100-1200 BHP in qualifying trim.

The Peugeot is simply the better car.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2227930)   #1110
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That seems very true, I remember watching in qualifying an Audi follow a Peugeot, it was able to stay close through the high speed sections but the Peugeot seemed to put it in the next gear when they got to the Porsche curves and it just dissappeared

The Peugeots do have a massive handling edge,

when comparing the sectors times of the #2 Audi to the #8 Peugeot,

Sector 1: Audi +0.484
Sector 2: Audi +0.958

Now sector 3, which includes the porsche curves

Sector 3: Audi +1.727

The fastest Audi is slower through the Porsche curves then the Peugeot #8 by 1.727 seconds, twice the gap in the other sectors where power is the key
Old 13 Jun 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2227931)   #1111
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I'm not up on the rules for this, but do the ACO allow different engines in qualifying and the race? If so, would one way they could control things would be to enforce the use of the race engine in qualifying?
Old 13 Jun 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2227940)   #1112
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry to chime in late for the race/quali chat
but holy BONKERS how do these cars lap at 3:18.xx??!?! wasn't last year like 3:25.xx??
and in 1999 it was just 3.29.6xx
how have these cars gotten so fast! that is incredibly fast
7 seconds up from a year ago!? what are they flying so low for?
Old 13 Jun 2008, 17:27 (Ref:2227943)   #1113
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
I'm not up on the rules for this, but do the ACO allow different engines in qualifying and the race? If so, would one way they could control things would be to enforce the use of the race engine in qualifying?
why would a manufacturer go to the trouble of providing a quali-engine for just a few seconds over a 24 Hour race? (Probably this might be one of the reasons why as far as I could find, there is no regulation regarding engine changes, but I guess during scrutineering ACO will take good notice of the engine in the car)
Old 13 Jun 2008, 17:29 (Ref:2227945)   #1114
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
but holy BONKERS how do these cars lap at 3:18.xx??!?! wasn't last year like 3:25.xx??
tyre development......fine tuning....gives a 3.4% gain over the previous year, not so bad, but not sensationel...
Old 13 Jun 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2227949)   #1115
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Quote:
why would a manufacturer go to the trouble of providing a quali-engine for just a few seconds over a 24 Hour race? (Probably this might be one of the reasons why as far as I could find, there is no regulation regarding engine changes, but I guess during scrutineering ACO will take good notice of the engine in the car)
Many Teams use different engines for Qualifying than the race, all of the factory GT2's and GT1's, i would imagine all the Diesel P1's do aswell as many of the big budget Privateers.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2227950)   #1116
nasdriv87
Veteran

Brazil
Brazil
nasdriv87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
i couldn't watch the last year qualify due to several problems here, but that qualify race wasn't done under rain conditions?!?!?!?
Old 13 Jun 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2227958)   #1117
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like we will see Kruse/Schiller back on track
Old 13 Jun 2008, 17:52 (Ref:2227962)   #1118
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Many Teams use different engines for Qualifying than the race, all of the factory GT2's and GT1's, i would imagine all the Diesel P1's do aswell as many of the big budget Privateers.
really? I have been walking in the pit lane for the last two years very regularly, and I never saw any team changing an engine....except when there was serious damage and certainly not as a routine activity after qualifying.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2227967)   #1119
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Quote:
really? I have been walking in the pit lane for the last two years very regularly, and I never saw any team changing an engine....except when there was serious damage and certainly not as a routine activity after qualifying.
Many teams were mentioned on Radio LeMans last night during Qualifying as "Installing there race engines"
Old 13 Jun 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2227969)   #1120
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Many teams were mentioned on Radio LeMans last night during Qualifying as "Installing there race engines"
during qualifying??
Old 13 Jun 2008, 18:10 (Ref:2227972)   #1121
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Quote:
during qualifying??
Warmup is hardly enough time to run in a new engine is it.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 18:16 (Ref:2227975)   #1122
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Warmup is hardly enough time to run in a new engine is it.
true, but many teams got their best times during the second session....
Old 13 Jun 2008, 18:21 (Ref:2227976)   #1123
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some GT2 teams will run their race engine hard because it's not as much of a concern. In a lot of cases, though, the best times on Thursday came from teams running race pace runs both days. A lot of those cars did not change engines, but even if they did, there is likely to be very little engine performance difference, and the setup was bound to be better on Thursday after a few hours of tweaking. Add to that the fact that the weather was more favourable yesterday.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 18:45 (Ref:2227992)   #1124
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
this is all speculation. Do we know at what boost the Audi engine can sustain 24 hours? Why would the engine designers not aim at a sustainable boost at the limit of what ACO prescribes? This not the period of the 1.5 F1 Turbo cars any more, where there was no limitation and we saw these 1100-1200 BHP in qualifying trim.

The Peugeot is simply the better car.
It's not neecessarily boost, that's just an obvious thing for a turbo car.

Peugeot will know what performance their engine gives, reliably, for 24hrs, but I'm sure they could eek out more power/torque for a 2-4 hour qualifying session.

For a new race technology like diesels, there's even more potential to see significant power/torque gains when reliabity isn't a top priority.

Qualifying/sprint/endurance engines are nothing new, even when restrictors are involved.

Engines manufactuers are making gains each year, even with older establlished engines such as the Judd. If Peugeot gain a reliable 15bhp over the winter, isn't it common sense they could , maybe, gain an unreliable 30bhp, which would be suitable for Le Mans qualifying, seeing as pole at this one race is worth the extra expense and hassle for Peugeot.

Quote:
true, but many teams got their best times during the second session....
Nielson said Team Essex were fitting their race engine ready for the last qualifying session, so they could run it in.

Last edited by JAG; 13 Jun 2008 at 18:50.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2227998)   #1125
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

For a new race technology like diesels, there's even more potential to see significant power/torque gains when reliabity isn't a top priority.
I know, but it is always related to boost changes, (i got my own HDi Fap engine chipped, and boost was increased...)