Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Feb 2016, 20:10 (Ref:3614927)   #1126
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Joe Saward has been writing on the subject and he suspects CVC are trying to push short term profits as high as possible to sell F1. It would not surprise me in the least. The only thing is what happens a few years down the road when the audience numbers fall further?

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016...f-the-times-5/
Well, CVC have to sell it's stake within the next two years or so; their original contracts with their investors guarantee that the holding will be liquidated by 2018. So, they don't care about the long term as long as they can make a profit on the sale. Even if they broke even on the disposal, I don't think that result would be the end of the world to them. The income stream from their holding has been more than they would probably have got from any other investment.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 06:11 (Ref:3615632)   #1127
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm disgruntled to see whenever the "owner" is, the true owner is Bernie E, after posing as "honourable chairman" on all operations. It's like masking a big fraud in sport. For much less, Colin Chapman had several problems with the DeLorean affair.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 19:25 (Ref:3615797)   #1128
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
No more free to air TV coverage in Spain; only available via a subscription.
I repeat: F1 will air only on Movistar+. Customers from Vodafone, Orange and other TV providers will be left out.

In the UK, Sky F1 is available on Virgin and BT. Not so in Spain.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3615816)   #1129
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I repeat: F1 will air only on Movistar+. Customers from Vodafone, Orange and other TV providers will be left out.

As I said, Movistar is available in Spain, but only by subscription. And Sky may be available on the BT and Virgin cable services, but you still have to pay an extra subscription; I believe that is around £25 (approx. $36) per month. It is not free to air on any of the satelite/cable services, although 10 of the races will be shown live by Channel 4, with the others at a later time in the day.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 16:07 (Ref:3616046)   #1130
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
feel your pain NaBUru38.

given that Vodafone spend a lot of money in F1, its a shame (wrong even) that a deal has been signed that prevents Vodafone customers from accessing that content. business involved with F1 should be rewarded for their contributions to the sport not excluded.

personally, im not against moving behind a pay wall and see the need for telecoms to maximize the amount of content they can stream to their customers as mobile data consumption is an ever important aspect of their business models.

for me (and obviously this will be different for everyone and country by country) it essentially means i can pick and choose what i want to pay for so there are advantages for me so i like the pay wall and the benefits of 'a la carte' style purchasing.

but these exclusive deals which punish people for having signed up with the 'wrong' cable/mobile provider is anti competitive and ultimately will see less money flowing into the hands of FOM imo.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3616057)   #1131
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post

The alternative is illegal streaming.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 18:31 (Ref:3616086)   #1132
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
feel your pain NaBUru38.

given that Vodafone spend a lot of money in F1, its a shame (wrong even) that a deal has been signed that prevents Vodafone customers from accessing that content. business involved with F1 should be rewarded for their contributions to the sport not excluded.
To the very best of my knowledge, and I'm 99% sure, Vodafone do not have any cable/satellite services in Spain which provide a free to air TV platform. What has happened, in Spain, is that the previous FTA channels have not renewd their contracts with FOM, and therefore anyone who wants to watch F1 live in Spain will either have to purchase a Canal+ subscription, or as BJ says, go down the streaming route.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 19:47 (Ref:3616105)   #1133
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
To the very best of my knowledge, and I'm 99% sure, Vodafone do not have any cable/satellite services in Spain which provide a free to air TV platform. What has happened, in Spain, is that the previous FTA channels have not renewd their contracts with FOM, and therefore anyone who wants to watch F1 live in Spain will either have to purchase a Canal+ subscription, or as BJ says, go down the streaming route.
yeah i cant comment of FTA availability, but i was thinking more about the commercial viability of pushing data content over internet lines, mobile phones and streaming capable devices (Apple TV boxes, Chromecast, Amazon Firesticks, Roku, Slingbox) as that is the future of content delivery.

making these traditional deals with one national cable/content provider is rapidly becoming an antiquated business model and frankly angers people when they have to maintain several different subscriptions.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3616107)   #1134
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
yeah i cant comment of FTA availability, but i was thinking more about the commercial viability of pushing data content over internet lines, mobile phones and streaming capable devices (Apple TV boxes, Chromecast, Amazon Firesticks, Roku, Slingbox) as that is the future of content delivery.

making these traditional deals with one national cable/content provider is rapidly becoming an antiquated business model and frankly angers people when they have to maintain several different subscriptions.
Problem is Bernie loves TV stations especially when they pay him loads of $$$$$$$$, he also seems to have a great dislike of anything to do with the IT world especially as he has bunch of his minions removing any F1 bits from the various streaming and video channels.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 20:13 (Ref:3616114)   #1135
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Problem is Bernie loves TV stations especially when they pay him loads of $$$$$$$$, he also seems to have a great dislike of anything to do with the IT world especially as he has bunch of his minions removing any F1 bits from the various streaming and video channels.
certainly his dislike for IT is well known, but there is, as content providers (like Netflix) and sports leagues are proving is that there is money, often more and from sources of untapped consumers, to be made by embracing the flexibility offered via modern delivery methods.

would be curious to know how MotoGP has done financially with its online service as that could prove a better case and point...one way or the other that is.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 20:24 (Ref:3616116)   #1136
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think a major issue for Bernie if he went over to live streaming he would have to compensate TV companies as they would be losing exclusive live coverage.
However I wonder what would be wrong with having delayed coverage for providers like Netflix.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 21:31 (Ref:3616129)   #1137
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
a tape delay feature on a netflix type service would be great for me! heck i am already watching most races on delay anyways.

might be more problematic for Europe, but a deal for N.America would result in F1 attracting/reaching a whole new audience base. it could literally be the game changer f1 needs in America. the modern version of FTA even. awesome idea
Old 23 Feb 2016, 02:53 (Ref:3616921)   #1138
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
To the very best of my knowledge, and I'm 99% sure, Vodafone do not have any cable/satellite services in Spain which provide a free to air TV platform.
Spain has no receiving licence. If you buy a TV, you can watch free to air television.

Movistar+, Vodafone, Orange, etc. are cable or satellite services. There's no pay terrestrial service.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 18:27 (Ref:3621624)   #1139
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The future of the USGP has at least been guaranteed for this season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123188
Old 9 Mar 2016, 18:44 (Ref:3621626)   #1140
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes I spoke with them last week, it's going to
be a great weekend in Austin !!
Old 9 Mar 2016, 19:20 (Ref:3621636)   #1141
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
good times! glad they are confirmed.

cant say im a big fan but i imagine this will be quite the draw and a great value added for many others. good bit of promotion!

Old 9 Mar 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3621673)   #1142
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Charlie Whiting with some positive reviews for Watkins Glen...where they would find the money to pay the fee aside, the timing of the quote makes me wonder if this is an attempt to squeeze COTA into signing a longer term contract or something. cynical but wouldn't surprise me me either.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wa...hiting-678287/
Old 9 Mar 2016, 22:18 (Ref:3621706)   #1143
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Charlie Whiting with some positive reviews for Watkins Glen...where they would find the money to pay the fee aside, the timing of the quote makes me wonder if this is an attempt to squeeze COTA into signing a longer term contract or something. cynical but wouldn't surprise me me either.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wa...hiting-678287/

"He added: "It is always a pleasure to come over and see how things are done over here, to see how well things can be done without going to the silly levels of some of the modern tracks that get built by very wealthy governments – what we see here is an absolute gem of a track. It has got heritage and that is what I like."

Seriously, after the damage he and Herman have done all over the world!
Old 9 Mar 2016, 22:22 (Ref:3621708)   #1144
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
good times! glad they are confirmed.

cant say im a big fan but i imagine this will be quite the draw and a great value added for many others. good bit of promotion!

Great to see a pretty girl on a motor racing promotion!
Old 9 Mar 2016, 22:51 (Ref:3621719)   #1145
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Seriously, after the damage he and Herman have done all over the world!
i shouldn't laugh but that is so true. i wonder if he was able to say that with a straight face.

and yes, there is something very right about a pretty girl on a racing poster.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 03:02 (Ref:3621756)   #1146
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chezza's mastered forked-tongue speak....
Old 10 Mar 2016, 10:52 (Ref:3621818)   #1147
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Watkins Glen would fit the bill for an East Coast grand prix, which is one of the big areas Brad Hollinger has suggested needs to be targeted (the LA basin is the other).
Old 10 Mar 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3621829)   #1148
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Watkins Glen would fit the bill for an East Coast grand prix, which is one of the big areas Brad Hollinger has suggested needs to be targeted (the LA basin is the other).
The obvious choice is Long Beach but I don't see Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerald Forsythe, happily parting with the millions Bernie requires, for the privilege of hosting an F1 GP and that doesn't include all the modifications to the track that Bernie would want.

There's always Fontana, as it has an infield course.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 12:31 (Ref:3622119)   #1149
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Watkins glen is under the control of the France family. I cannot imagine them doing a deal with Bernie.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 14:13 (Ref:3622134)   #1150
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's refreshing to see Charlie Whiting respect of Watkins Glen, obviously safety has come a long way since the circuit was last on the calendar. I don't know if they would allow the dreaded bog back though!