Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Jan 2024, 19:24 (Ref:4192496)   #1201
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant25 View Post
I’ve been reading what people of been saying after the Dan Lloyd announcement and so many people are saying the Btcc is dying! I honestly don’t see I see it getting bigger each season! I don’t get what people are seeing that I’m not haha.
I wouldn't necessarily say it was dying, but you must be able to see that things are not that rosy.

Last year we had Dynamics quit the series having been unable to secure a sponsorship budget. There star may have been on the wane a little in recent years but for many years they were one of the powerhouse teams in the series.

Over the winter we have seen Team Hard hit major financial issues. You may recall that halfway though last year they had to ask drivers for more money as they discovered that running the team was more expensive than they had expected.

There are rumours that One Motorsport may not be back. That may or may not be down to finance as the entire BTC / Motus One merger from last year seems to have devolved into a total nightmare.

Lloyd and Butel have left the series. Although neither will openly say as much, it's pretty clear that decision has been largely down to money or lack thereof. Hard were always at the budget end of the market, and their absence is going to have a knock-on effect, especially amongst less well funded drivers. I suspect there are more of the Hard alumni that we won't see again.

The last few weeks haven't exactly been full of positive news. Just for comparison, by this time a year ago we had nearly half the grid confirmed and a good amount more strongly pencilled in. That not been the case this year.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 20:08 (Ref:4192502)   #1202
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Several drivers take home earnings from the BTCC - that's being paid.
Yes but taking earnings from bringing a budget really isn't the same thing at all as being paid a salary to drive.

Last edited by peebee2; 19 Jan 2024 at 20:19.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 20:11 (Ref:4192503)   #1203
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Yes but taking earnings from bringing a budget really isn't the same thing as being paid a salary to drive at all.
Don't tell Gavin Smith that.....
Old 19 Jan 2024, 20:11 (Ref:4192504)   #1204
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes but taking earnings from bringing a budget really isn't the same thing as being paid a salary to drive at all.
It seems to be a model Tom Ingram is doing very well with…
Old 19 Jan 2024, 20:20 (Ref:4192506)   #1205
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millvi View Post
It seems to be a model Tom Ingram is doing very well with…
I never said it's a bad thing. It's smart and resourceful. But it's still bringing a budget to drive however you look at it.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 20:24 (Ref:4192509)   #1206
Millvi
Racer

Quote:
I never said it's a bad thing. It's smart and resourceful. But it's still bringing a budget to drive however you look at it.
Dan Cam and Ash Sutton all have personal sponsors, so does Turkington that’s how it works in the BTCC (unless perhaps you are Andy Neate or Tom Chilton and just cough up a big payment).

Lots of different models for funding a season.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 20:29 (Ref:4192510)   #1207
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Dan Cam and Ash Sutton all have personal sponsors, so does Turkington that’s how it works in the BTCC
No it just isn't the same.

Cammish and Sutton both get paid a salary to drive. Then, on top and allowed under their contracts, they have personal sponsor arrangements that benefit them directly.

Turkington brings a budget and then perhaps gets a percentage back.

I'm not saying one model is bad, but it is how it is and if you think both models are the same then there's something wrong.

Arguably the second model offers more career longevity if you can guarantee the funding.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 20:34 (Ref:4192512)   #1208
Millvi
Racer

Quote:
No it just isn't the same.

Cammish and Sutton both get paid a salary to drive. Then, on top and allowed under their contracts, they have personal sponsor arrangements that benefit them directly.

Turkington brings a budget and then perhaps gets a percentage back.

I'm not saying one model is bad, but it is how it is and if you think both models are the same then there's something wrong.

Arguably the second model offers more career longevity if you can guarantee the funding.
Or you have the Tom Chilton method that has given career longevity!!!
Old 19 Jan 2024, 20:37 (Ref:4192513)   #1209
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Or you have the Tom Chilton method that has given career longevity!!!
It's the same. If you ever want to find rich Dad's masquerading as commercial sponsors to make their sons look like "professional" drivers, motor sport is the place to find them.

Chilton isn't a bad driver for the level anyway.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 21:01 (Ref:4192517)   #1210
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's the same. If you ever want to find rich Dad's masquerading as commercial sponsors to make their sons look like "professional" drivers, motor sport is the place to find them.

Chilton isn't a bad driver for the level anyway.

Will be interesting to see if Tom is back on the grid this season or not , obviously he got the new chassis for last season and won that crazy wet race at Donnington , but I doubt Excler8 will be short of interest in the 2 currently unconfirmed seats (I'm counting Ingram as basically done without a formal announcement much like Turkington)
Old 20 Jan 2024, 07:13 (Ref:4192545)   #1211
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusH26 View Post
Will be interesting to see if Tom is back on the grid this season or not , obviously he got the new chassis for last season and won that crazy wet race at Donnington , but I doubt Excler8 will be short of interest in the 2 currently unconfirmed seats (I'm counting Ingram as basically done without a formal announcement much like Turkington)
Remember Chilton owns his car I think
Old 20 Jan 2024, 07:56 (Ref:4192549)   #1212
MarcusH26
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Remember Chilton owns his car I think
Oh I was unaware of that.If he owns it then he'll definitely be there again. Just hope Excler8 can get someone up with Tingram so it's not always Tingram fighting a lone hand against Napa and WSR.
Old 20 Jan 2024, 08:16 (Ref:4192550)   #1213
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusH26 View Post
Oh I was unaware of that.If he owns it then he'll definitely be there again. Just hope Excler8 can get someone up with Tingram so it's not always Tingram fighting a lone hand against Napa and WSR.
To be fair I think Pearson will be more of a support to Tingram than Chilton will be. Tom’s too hit & miss pace wise. Never terrible but just seems to have ‘good weekends’ but never consistently.
Old 20 Jan 2024, 09:05 (Ref:4192551)   #1214
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
A few dates for your diary:

03 Apr - Brands Hatch, TOCA test
10 Apr - Croft, TOCA test
16 Apr - Donington, Season launch/test day
Old 20 Jan 2024, 11:00 (Ref:4192558)   #1215
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

Oh. Donington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Last time they did a launch at Donington, MSV charged Gow nearly £50k for the privilege, wouldn't let anyone park up in the paddock early, and plastered the track with British Superbike sponsors.

I'm sure he said "never again".
That post lasted well
Old 20 Jan 2024, 13:37 (Ref:4192569)   #1216
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Where have you seen this?
Old 20 Jan 2024, 17:18 (Ref:4192587)   #1217
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant25 View Post
Where have you seen this?
2024 sporting regulations, section 6.11.1.a iii)
Old 20 Jan 2024, 19:54 (Ref:4192597)   #1218
Daverb
Rookie

Daverb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good spot
Old 20 Jan 2024, 21:41 (Ref:4192603)   #1219
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
2024 sporting regulations, section 6.11.1.a iii)

Why does it need to be an almost secret, hiding it in a place that not many would look in; after all, if it's in the regs, then they have booked the circuits, so it could easily be announced publicly? All they need to do is advise the public if they are closed to all except competitors. Simple, surely?
Old 21 Jan 2024, 08:15 (Ref:4192673)   #1220
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Why does it need to be an almost secret, hiding it in a place that not many would look in; after all, if it's in the regs, then they have booked the circuits, so it could easily be announced publicly? All they need to do is advise the public if they are closed to all except competitors. Simple, surely?
Maybe they are closed so that’s why they are not publicised
Old 21 Jan 2024, 09:30 (Ref:4192675)   #1221
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I don't question why, that's just how TOCA does things

I don't know when the regs were uploaded, I just happened to looking for something else and noticed that the PDF link had been changed from 2023 to 2024.

Oddly there are 2 different versions of the regs linked from 2 different pages. Depending on which page you start from you'll either Issue 01 dated 15/11/23 or Issue 02 dated 15/12/23. I'm not nerdy/bored enough to read through and find the differences
Old 21 Jan 2024, 09:52 (Ref:4192676)   #1222
coffinpilot
Veteran

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Somewhere for redundant chassis to race https://www.british-endurance-champi...nDMHSCCBJO4kTI
From what I heard, they couldn't scrutineer to TCR standards anyway because the championship is a bit of a mess - plus the license fee to WSC.....

I'm sure Morgan will be at WSR. When I asked his Dad about it all last season he said it was basically the two Ciceley cars go to WSR in exchange for a two year driving deal, if Adam stays for 2025 it'll be a cash deal. One of the guys who raises the sponsorship for MB (must only be in his 20s) said last year they'd raised all the money for Hill, but not all for Watson and were aiming to achieve that for all of their drivers for 2024 - including the non-BTCC drivers they represent.
Old 21 Jan 2024, 13:18 (Ref:4192691)   #1223
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
From what I heard, they couldn't scrutineer to TCR standards anyway because the championship is a bit of a mess - plus the license fee to WSC.....

I'm sure Morgan will be at WSR. When I asked his Dad about it all last season he said it was basically the two Ciceley cars go to WSR in exchange for a two year driving deal, if Adam stays for 2025 it'll be a cash deal. One of the guys who raises the sponsorship for MB (must only be in his 20s) said last year they'd raised all the money for Hill, but not all for Watson and were aiming to achieve that for all of their drivers for 2024 - including the non-BTCC drivers they represent.
Yes, Morgan and Turkington are both confirmed.
Old 22 Jan 2024, 10:00 (Ref:4192859)   #1224
MarcusH26
Racer

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2024/01/22/wsr-aiming-to-be-back-where-we-should-be-in-2024/

Interesting piece with Dick Bennett's , new engine for the BMW for this season too.
Old 22 Jan 2024, 12:11 (Ref:4192870)   #1225
Squiggs
Rookie

Squiggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Stephen Jelley on the grid this year...