Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Aug 2023, 13:04 (Ref:4174379)   #101
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Food was Goodwood priced but poor quality.
Wasn't it? Whatever happened to bacon rolls and plain old burgers? Instead there were Greek, Korean and German food outlets added to the odd pizza van. Brewdog appeard to be the brewer of choice but it is frankly niche so I'm not sure how much beer they sold.

Catering was pretty limited in the Wing area.

Only Costa Coffee could provide decent coffee. I went to a coffee van, asked for a double Espresso and got 1 1/2 spoons of nescafe.

We were lamenting the passing of the Scarf and Goggles.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 14:07 (Ref:4174386)   #102
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Not entirely sure of the relevance of this comment considering that probably the only sport where gender doesn't make a difference is motorsport.

But on a lighter note: Here's Iain playing with a Sports 2000 on Saturday.
fantastic shot Pete . Had the best fun in that car . Thank you . Can you send me photo ?
Old 28 Aug 2023, 14:11 (Ref:4174387)   #103
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Agreed. Too many opinions, misidentifications and inaccuracies, although I appreciate that it is a difficult job. Alistair Douglas was OK but a bit understated and gently diplomatic in his manner of correcting, although he wasn't able to get too many words in. It needed someone like Marcus or Titch to front it.
I had a lovely long chat with Ian Titchmarsh .
Old 28 Aug 2023, 14:11 (Ref:4174388)   #104
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
I was surprised to see a Charlie Martin on the podium as I though they were a trans lady driver!
The Charlie Martin you saw was a very regular VSCC & Historic car driver who is proving very capable in fast old F1 cars but excels in the Morgan RIP special.

Also I agree with Peter, Brew Dog beers are not to my taste and we have several good local breweries who would serve better fare. Surely there is no need to go to Aberdeen for a beer to sell!
Old 28 Aug 2023, 14:26 (Ref:4174390)   #105
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
fantastic shot Pete . Had the best fun in that car . Thank you . Can you send me photo ?
Thanks, yes of course.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 14:43 (Ref:4174392)   #106
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I would not be overly harsh about the food outlets, they probably have to pay extortionate land costs to have a stand at this event. So their prices have to reflect this.

I have found this venue to be almost sinister in its treatment of its customers in recent years, you are literally like cattle, herded into areas from the moment you enter it. Quite why people continue to go back is beyond me, but the venue know people like certain events so will make as much money from them as possible as is the case here.

Museum access was a nice touch I did not know that, great idea.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 14:48 (Ref:4174394)   #107
eigger
Rookie

eigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grideigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I had a lovely long chat with Ian Titchmarsh .
Is Ian still doing commentary ? I cant remember the last time I heard him.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 14:53 (Ref:4174397)   #108
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
I would not be overly harsh about the food outlets, they probably have to pay extortionate land costs to have a stand at this event. So their prices have to reflect this.
It's always been the same but usually the quality and variety is much better.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 15:23 (Ref:4174399)   #109
eigger
Rookie

eigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grideigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Mixed bag for us this year............
My thoughts exactly. The ticketing and security arrangements were frustrating. As was the limited access to grandstands, particularly during the rain.
The limited access to garages was very annoying as this is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the event. However more teams seem to putting up their own barriers anyway.
On the other hand the grids were very healthy and there were some quality cars - maybe I'm just swayed by the presence of not one but two Ferrari 512Ms and an Alfa T33.
The selection of grids seemed a bit odd (HSCC Roadsports & 3 HGPCA races .also I could do without the GT4 race.) but it would be a bit dull if the event had the same races every year - i'd love to see the Group Cs back though. At least they dont do the celebrity modern tin top race any more
Old 28 Aug 2023, 16:05 (Ref:4174401)   #110
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I went along as a jolly with a couple of mates on Saturday and fortunately for us, we were lucky enough to have free passes.
This was my first re-visit to The Classic (sorry, I'm a traditionalist) and thanks to the company I was with, we had a most enjoyable day, but this was no thanks to Silverstone and all three of us have decided that this will more than likely be our last visit.
Despite it appearing to be much quieter spectator-wise, access to anywhere and everything appeared to be discouraged. Even negotiating our way around the infield was made extremely difficult due to metal fences and locked access gates. We ventured into the auction (again, luckily enough for us our passes gave us free access otherwise this would have also cost us for the privilege) and whilst in there decided to go upstairs for a bite to eat. The poor staff in there were run ragged plus to add insult to injury there was effectively nowhere to sit apart from the floor (not ideal for 60 & 70 year olds) apparently due to Iconic Auctions refusing to pay for these until the last minute by which time Silverstone (understandably) could not supply them.
I suppose I could be accused of hypocricy as we had fee passes, but we just felt that every opportunity was being taken to maximise profits and to hell with the spectators (who appeared to be much smaller in numbers compared to my last visit).
Having booked a hotel locally we were planning to make a weekend of this and return on the Sunday but following a discussion in the car on the way back to our hotel, one decided to return home on Sunday morning with the other two of us deciding to go up to Donington for the BTCC instead where there appeared to be a much larger crowd and we were made to feel far more welcome.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 16:35 (Ref:4174403)   #111
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching the live stream we viewers were treated to a tour of those posh containers, sorry apartments at the maggots complex. It appears we can all entertain our corporate guests and friends called Tarquin and Melissa in wonderful style. Such fun ! Do you think if my friends and i pitched up in our camp chairs and eat our own sandwiches like we did in the 70's would they mind?
Old 28 Aug 2023, 17:27 (Ref:4174412)   #112
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eigger View Post
He was always a mainstay of the Classic I believe but don't think he has done that one since 2018.

He still does plenty of commentary though usually at Oulton Park I think.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 17:35 (Ref:4174414)   #113
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The selection of grids seemed a bit odd (HSCC Roadsports & 3 HGPCA races .also I could do without the GT4 race.) but it would be a bit dull if the event had the same races every year - i'd love to see the Group Cs back though. At least they dont do the celebrity modern tin top race any more
Think the HGPCA's separate grids encourage more Pre 61 cars to enter hence a few of the Pre war and some earlier front engine cars turned up which was a sight. They did the same thing at Brands a few years ago to success.

I felt the HSCC grids were very poor this year sadly.

The 'GT4' Grid hardly had any GT4's, it was all challenge spec cars which I like, can see Masters putting all GT's into the Trophy class and the Endurance Legends being a prototype series. Some GT's did double up.

As for Group C now Peter Auto run a series for them that is highly unlikely unless we have a repeat of the 2022 Rofgo donington race.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 17:58 (Ref:4174417)   #114
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He was co-commentating with Alastair Douglas at the BRSCC TCR meeting at Silverstone the previous weekend.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 18:05 (Ref:4174419)   #115
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I suppose I could be accused of hypocricy as we had fee passes, but we just felt that every opportunity was being taken to maximise profits and to hell with the spectators (who appeared to be much smaller in numbers compared to my last visit).

Having booked a hotel locally we were planning to make a weekend of this and return on the Sunday but following a discussion in the car on the way back to our hotel, one decided to return home on Sunday morning with the other two of us deciding to go up to Donington for the BTCC instead where there appeared to be a much larger crowd and we were made to feel far more welcome.

The problem Silverstone has is that they have to take every opportunity to maximise income because they need to make up for running the loss making Grand Prix.

Unfortunately, taking the measures that they appear to have done, i.e. ramping up admission prices and compounding that with trying to limit access to important areas for aficionados plus "hiding" important displays, is very short-sighted. It means that the shrinking number of spectators, possibly already put off by the increasing admission prices, will further put financial pressure on the Silverstone management.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 18:14 (Ref:4174424)   #116
eigger
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
He was co-commentating with Alastair Douglas at the BRSCC TCR meeting at Silverstone the previous weekend.
Thanks. I don't think i've heard him since before Covid. i thought maybe he had 'retired'.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 18:19 (Ref:4174425)   #117
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Just out of curiosity, did entry fees go sky high? Strange nobody mentions cash cows. And do you think drivers/owners are ready to support an increase just because the track is an international and wordlwide famous one or attracted by the number of spectators admiring them? Or both? Because if I'm right, no cars, no meeting.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 18:45 (Ref:4174431)   #118
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
I am very sorry Mike

But if you think the F1 race makes a loss these days you are surely mistaken.

Do the basic math, they pay 25 odd million to Liberty to host, maybe 30, that is one of the cheapest fees.

Even at average prices, you are looking at 400 to 450k people. They are paying even at teh cheapest 350 a head for three days. That is way over 130 million pounds.

They dont get to sell advertising no, but they do make vast sums on ground rent for stands, food etc some of which they take a cut of.

This does also not include the corporate fees that are paid for boxes etc. The parking fees on fans, the no doubt vast sums they make from program sales and their own merch and food sales.

if they are making a loss from all that (and I can tell you they are not) then they are not very good business people.

yes they have immense outlay, security, bins, extra stands, buses, massive extra staff, printing programs, policing for road closures

All that has happened is that they have realised that they are not a sports venue, they are a brand, that brand has to make money all the time, they only really have three big events a year, F1, motoGp and the Classic, so they maximise profit from them.

The running costs of the place are immense hence why they are selling off lots of it for hotels, Porsche they made immense losses with f1 before, and MotoGP relaying track etc, so they HAVE to make it back, they have F1 falling into their lap right now with people so desperate to be there they pay over the odds for tickets.

So it is just business, but please don't think they are making a loss from f1, not anymore.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 18:54 (Ref:4174433)   #119
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spoke to a friend at Goodwood today(which was the last test day before the Revival ) who had been at Silverstone all weekend, I should mention that this is someone who has raced in numerous series throughout the years, FFord,Sports2000 , Porsche cup, and he said how disappointed he was with the Festival. Interminable safety cars, generally poor racing and numerous displays, etc in which he had no interest whatsoever. I can't repeat some of his comments about the general inhospitable nature of the both the event and the nature of the circuit with its beach like run off areas and poor viewing opportunities.
In my experience there appear to be a growing number of these glamour events with less and less real racing.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 19:09 (Ref:4174436)   #120
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
flatlandsman, they may have had 480,000 over the weekend, but they do not have anywhere near the capacity for that number every day. The last figure I heard was that they were increasing the capacity to a maximum of 120,000 for the Sunday.

Now, I haven't been since 2016, I think it was, but on the Friday there was only another one man and his dog (actually I didn't see the dog) and the Saturday wasn't much different, so the £35 per head is way over the top.

It well may not be making a loss any more, I don't know, but they are possibly just breaking even at best.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 20:13 (Ref:4174441)   #121
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I did have a look at some of it on Sunday on the box, some of it was OK but was interspersed with some people that didn't seem to have much knowledge about what they were supposed to be talking about. For such a supposedly huge meeting I didn't see anyone in the grandstands and the so called "crowds" reminded me of a normal "clubbie" meeting.
OK I wasn't there and perhaps the cameras didn't pick them up ?
As for the modern GT race I got bored with it and went and sat in the garden for ages, and blow me when I came back in it was still on !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Aug 2023, 20:23 (Ref:4174444)   #122
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
Mike

Not sure where you get 35 quid a had from, it hasnt been that porice to visit an f1 meeting there on any day for years.

Either way if you work out the maths if they are losing money with F1 I would be staggered, i would think they are making vast profits now. They open the place from Wednseday with bands and camping and it is always busy, it is like a sort of Glastonbury and all those folks are spending money there, so are the venue mind, but I would expect them to be making tens of millions that weekend if not more.

Anyway, it was a real mixed bag it seems, I am sad to not attend this meeting anymore, it is just too dear, but there are bits of it i would enjoy, I just wish it was less festival more racing, but I guess if they did that they would not get the clientele they want. I recall years back it had become very popular with families and stuff, as it was a combo of racing music and stalls etc.

As I do not go I dont know if that is the case now, shame if not as it seemed to be gathering a sort of council house Goodwood rep, no bad thing due to location and costs of going to goodwood.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 20:28 (Ref:4174447)   #123
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
£35 was a typo; obviously it should have been £350. My point is/was that they get nowhere near 480,000 each day over the three days.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 21:40 (Ref:4174455)   #124
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
I am quoting their figures chap, if its wrong fair enough, but being brutally honest you dont know the number anymore than I do, sorry.
Old 28 Aug 2023, 22:24 (Ref:4174460)   #125
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
I am quoting their figures chap, if its wrong fair enough, but being brutally honest you dont know the number anymore than I do, sorry.
don't know where you (mis)read that, but under a minute with google turns up lots of references to the official numbers being 480,000 OVER 3 DAYS (my caps) with 160,000 on the Sunday.

https://f1destinations.com/480000-at...-prix-weekend/
https://www.northants.police.uk/news...led-a-success/
https://www.goodwood.com/grr/f1/2023...alking-points/

Last edited by MGDavid; 28 Aug 2023 at 22:31.