Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Dec 2011, 07:54 (Ref:2999559)   #101
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker View Post
It occurred to me while reading this interesting thread, that many of these issues are thrown up when the builder/owner of a replica wishes to race his/her car. There cant be much to stop any enterprising individual with the funds from building a replica. But if one wants to go racing, with a particular car, and that car happens to be a replica, would'nt it be advisable, for many obvious reasons, to find out if there is somewhere to race it before you start building it?
Maybe I'm being a bit dim (not unknown!) but I thought that there were places to race most replicas; SR & GT, most regional Sports/ Saloons series etc.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 07:56 (Ref:2999560)   #102
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That has been the trend since the mid to late eighties Zef. The last Healey I restored came out at 42K,the owner was not too concerned! Thing is,at todays prices,it still hasn't been a good investment. It's only the upper types,Ferrari's,GT40s and so on that MIGHT be worth the restoration cost.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2999562)   #103
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
And by God does a Mk 1 and 2 Cortina know how to rust! A mate of mines customer bought a 'restored' twin cam Mk 2 and found it to be the biggest lash up ever, it even had (and this is true, he showed me) concrete in the chassis rails the thing had to have £5k spent on the body/chassis before he even got round to the engine etc which was a mess and this guy had paid upwards of £20k for this 'minter'!!!
Old 14 Dec 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2999574)   #104
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Lowtit Tinas have always been bodged up, we walked away from several and finally decided what I really wanted was a GT, at least I found an honest car . . . well 3 actually! I guess MK2 and E type Jags fall into that category as well
Old 14 Dec 2011, 10:28 (Ref:2999614)   #105
Julian Bronson
Rookie

Julian Bronson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
Who owns what, what is under the skin, how old, race history and where do you compete with it now ???

Problems, issues, HTP papers.

Sensible ,constructive posts please.
There is lots of places to race replicas ie Dtypes ERA LIsters GT40s however there is very few places to race Shoping Mall display cars that are Cobras with Rover V8 or 917s with 911 running gear or Dtypes with independent rear suspension they give the decent cars a bad name
Old 14 Dec 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2999653)   #106
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Julian, you obviously didn't read the last line of the OP.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2999692)   #107
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
He did and that's the Bronse opinion.

Very succinct and I agree with it.A replica is an exact copy of a historic car.These will bugger up original cars with continuous histories in the long run but that seems to be a given with FIA and that stuff.

A look alike with other mechanicals is a display model only but owners are the ones who spend the money and best of luck to them .Some one should start a race series for pretend cars.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 15:22 (Ref:2999705)   #108
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post

A look alike with other mechanicals is a display model only but owners are the ones who spend the money and best of luck to them .Some one should start a race series for pretend cars.
I thought that's what a lot of the Masters series are for.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2999711)   #109
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So are we saying that exact copies that can achieve HTP status are ok 'cos there is really no difference (mechanically at least) 'tween them and an original, but the non exact ones that can not achieve HTPs are only fit to race each other?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2999715)   #110
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes
Old 14 Dec 2011, 16:57 (Ref:2999754)   #111
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
So are we saying that exact copies that can achieve HTP status are ok 'cos there is really no difference (mechanically at least) 'tween them and an original, but the non exact ones that can not achieve HTPs are only fit to race each other?
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
yes
Which kind of blows the argument about continuations doesn't it?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 17:07 (Ref:2999762)   #112
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
not really - it means a continuation/replica will get papers if it is a perfect copy (or put another way conforms to the HTP papers). If it is built to a different spec it is not a replica merely a tribute. It could not be more straightforward.
Any car which has HTP papers will be allowed into historic races but tributes would have to run with other tributes and varuious other cars that do not run to a specific set of regs.
It does not make any car better or worse just a case of it is what it is.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2999772)   #113
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

Perhaps a trawl through the threads would be timnley.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2999788)   #114
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm,

Perhaps a trawl through the threads would be timnley.
Or indeed timely.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2999797)   #115
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
Steamrollering cars or chinese Rolex watches comes to the same thing! I remember the Ferrari group destroying a Maserati 200S or similar a few years ago (which also used genuine parts).
Are you thinking of this story?:

http://www.historic-racer.com/phpBazar/main.php?mc_id=9
Old 14 Dec 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2999893)   #116
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A statement of fact for Julian Bronson to recall and think upon.

not so long my replica 917K was hired, along with me, by FloGas, a subsidary company of a major holding company who also own Gulf Oil UK, to be the focal point on their stand at a exhibition at the NEC. Mr Bronson was at that show and visited the stand and we had a very good chat about racing, Goodwood, his Lola and of course the 917. He was full of praise about its accuracy and build and the fact that i used it in anger. Even took the front nostril panel off so he could see how accurate it was and comments like "f" me is that all there is in frontal protection, etc.

Now he refers to it as a "shopping mall" car with 911 running gear. I regret now not pouring insults about his car. Whether it is jealousy that he could not fit in the car or has not the nerve to race one, i know not but if he had bothered to really look at its set up he would have seen that it bears f... all resemblence to a 911 suspension, etc. IT IS NOT AN ORIGINAL CAR, IT IS A RECREATION, but by jove it is,nt a bad one and does not deserve all the misinformed criticism. I, and fellow replica owners don,t play at racing.

Willi Kausen would not have wasted his time and setting up advice at Spa and David Piper selling me items and given his friendship and time as always for a "911 Shopping mall car". Mark Hales, Derek Bell, Brian Redman, Willy Green, etc have not been so vindictive.

Why do we have to have pointless, incorrect answers to perfectly legitimate questions raised in all seriousness. If you look at any of my posts i have always been open, honest and hopefully fluent and stated facts as they have manifest themselves to me and the original question was not about me or my cars, but about replicas in general and hopefully getting some of those out of the cobwebs and racing again.

Ohhhhhh, i despare at times.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2999912)   #117
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Julian Bronson was talking about cars in general not particularly your replica ,copy or whatever you want to call it.Does know a bit about old bangers.

You have obviously spent lots of time,energy, money on the project and are proud of it but people have opinions and they may be out of line from your standpoint.They are entitled to an opinion as you are yours.

I assume what you have is a more or less perfect copy of the cars as in period but with alternative mechanical parts as things like engines are prohibitively expensive.Remember seeing it at Chumley and Snetterton.

This does not make people correct or incorrect ,its an opinion and like arses everyone has one.

Be a good idea to chill,its Christmas.It's a hobby.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 22:30 (Ref:2999957)   #118
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Be a good idea to chill,its Christmas.It's a hobby.
wise words

we had a similar themed discussion about guitars during rehearsal this evening . . . I have a mid 60's Gibson semi acoustic bass amongst others . . . . you can buy them new as well now . . . I have a mid 80's rickenbacker which is a reissue of an early 60's model . . . which has also just been reissued again!

the nice thing about having a relatively worthless oddball car is none of this prattle is relevant, no one would rip one off in their right mind. or maybe thats the problem?

time for my medication
Old 14 Dec 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2999969)   #119
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=john ruston;2999912]"Julian Bronson was talking about cars in general not particularly your replica ,copy or whatever you want to call it.Does know a bit about old bangers".

"You have obviously spent lots of time,energy, money on the project and are proud of it but people have opinions and they may be out of line from your standpoint."

Mr Ruston,
I have not had a standpoint in any of this topic. It is not about me. I asked the question and it is you and others that have had a go. More fool me for thinking, as Tim has said, that there are not many out there looking at this site and i allowed myself to be drawn in by the unjustifiable and inaccurate comments.

Get real, of course he was having a direct jibe. There is not another in this country.

Please read this whole thread from the start and see how it has been distorted and turned by you, Bronson, etc, completely on its head.

Thanks for nowt.

PS. I,ve already wished everyone seasonal greetings. Turn that one on its head.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 01:06 (Ref:3000003)   #120
RickT
Rookie

RickT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys

Thought I would join in on this one and add my thoughts having had feet firmly in both Historic and Replica racing.

Through my fathers racing we, as a family and a family business, have been actively racing in historic motorsport since 1978. We have run various McLarens, Chevrons, Merlyns, BRMs, Jaguars, etc, etc over the years and continue to do so at as many Historic events as time and money allows. We have loved every minute of it and more recently our family business Autotune has been more and more involved with Historic race preparation too.

In the early 80s dad was becoming disheartened by the rising costs of the Historic Can-Am racing scene in the UK and Europe and decided to go right back to basics - he built a Jaguar XK120 replica using all Jag XJ6 running gear to race in the new 750MC Kit Car Racing Championship. As a family we again had great fun driving the car to the meetings, racing it, then driving it home! The car attracted a lot of attention and others asked for one too, so the fun project became part of the business ! We have since sold examples of the Aristocat worldwide for the past 28 years and continue to do so. This was followed by the Gemini - a replica of an Elva Mk2 that Dad had restored and raced years earlier, the Gemini was soon out racing in the Kit Series and continues to sell well for both the road and track.

When the Historic Replicar Series started in the early 90s we joined in and raced our Aristocat, various Geminis, an original McLaren M1B a few times and finally built up some McLaren M1C replicas. The Replicar races provided terrific fun racing in a brilliant series featuring lookalike replica GT40s, T70s, McLarens, Cobras, Listers, XK/C/D/E type Jags, etc, etc. There was all the noise and visions of the great historic era but at a much more attainable budget and it thrived for a number of years. Unfortunately the series suffered for a few years after a change of organiser, before eventually becoming the current SR&GT series. Around this time we were heavily involved in setting up the racing side of the Jag Enthusiasts Club and so we headed off there with the Aristocat and also began to be much more involved with Historic racing again.

Recent historic racing has seen the introduction of continuation cars from Lola, Chevron, Crossle, etc and other rarer ones like the Lancia D50s, Sharknose Ferraris, etc. Im all for it, i would rather have the opportunity to see (and hear - wow!!) the D50 hammering round Goodwood than never see one run like that. The same goes for watching and competing in Masters races bolstered by extra B16s and T70s, etc, the spectacle is better for it I think.

So I guess the jist of all this for me is that Replica racing and Historic racing are both tremendous fun and have co-existed for years in various forms and I hope they will continue to do so. The sad thing is that we recently sold our own M1C replica to the USA or we would probably have brought it out in a few of the new Crossle races next year ! The Crossles mixed with the lovely 917, a few GT40s, maybe the odd Lotus 23, etc, sounds great fun. Im quite tempted to buid up another M1 rep to come out and play.......will have to see how long it takes us to restore this M10B first though, I need to sleep sometime this winter !!

Cheers
Richard Taylor
Old 15 Dec 2011, 08:55 (Ref:3000091)   #121
simon drabble
Veteran

what I dont understand is the animosity - all we are saying is that perfect copies can race anywhere but tributes are rightly so not accepted into historic race meetings.
This is not a personal pop and should not be considered as such. Equally original cars are not allowed to run to a spec different to the papers.
Its very straightforward.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 08:57 (Ref:3000094)   #122
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
He did and that's the Bronse opinion.

Very succinct and I agree with it.A replica is an exact copy of a historic car.These will bugger up original cars with continuous histories in the long run but that seems to be a given with FIA and that stuff.

They have.or they did. 750 M/C.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 09:40 (Ref:3000107)   #123
Julian Bronson
Rookie

Julian Bronson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was not refering to any one car as i dont know who you are hiding behind a pseudonym i remember your car well and comlimented you on the attension to detail making the car look like a 917 if you had taken the time making it handle like a 917 you may have done more the 200 yards at cholmondley.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 12:27 (Ref:3000177)   #124
Mogger
Rookie

England
UK and Australia
Mogger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting thread….my two penneth (it’s about worth that).

I take great pleasure from attending and competing in historic motorsport all over Europe. I have no problems with replicas/recreations or however you want to describe them, but please, can they be described correctly in the race programme/paddock as to what they really are. When I see a C type, D type, GT40 etc, I used to get a buzz…..now, I’m never so sure what I’m looking at…is it real…or is it a copy? At least with the Sharknose Ferrari and Lancia D50 you know it’s a recreation as all the originals were destroyed.

Here’s a thought. How about adding a c (for Copy) or r (for recreation) after the race number to make it clear for everyone. It’s one thing being overtaken by a pukka Alfa 8c (thrill) but irritating to be blown into the weeds by a !!**??*!!!…which you find after the race to have been built last week!! So recreations/copies….they’re fine but please be open about it and print it in the programme and indicate it on your car so we know what we’re watching and competing against.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 12:37 (Ref:3000179)   #125
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That has already been tried,didn't seem to suit the owners of the non original cars,almost as if they felt it cheapened their own cars? Sorry,but I for one still do not think that continuation has a rightful place on a historic grid.Time to stand back I think.