Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Jul 2007, 08:05 (Ref:1967196)   #101
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The John Young Mustang was brand new and straight out of the box. Owned by Steve Warrior and prepared by John Freeman (who helped build my Honda Prelude). A fuel pressure problem sidelined it from Sunday's race after such a strong showing in practice. Bob Bullen did indeed have an "off" out on the long circuit (out braking himself), but drove back to a comendable fourth.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 08:08 (Ref:1967202)   #102
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
The Austin A40 was built here in West Kingsdown by John Day, who is better known for his exploits in Lancias. John has just finished putting together a very smart looking sports car which should be racing soon, either in the LMA championship or selected sports car races.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 12:12 (Ref:1967383)   #103
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rod, and others, please forgive my total ignorance, but how can these cars be "brand new" or just built? Am I missing something here...
Old 19 Jul 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1967676)   #104
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anybody a photo of the "Monaco" that ran in the F3 race? I am sure I have seen a photo somewhere but as usual I cannot find it when I need it.
Much appreciate your help!
Marcus
Old 19 Jul 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1967677)   #105
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 14 - DUO DBT (Race 2)

Another curtailed DBT race; just 8 laps again, only 4 of which were at racing speed! First time through Paddock Hill Bend, and here, in the lead is Peter Dunn (35 - March 73A), followed by Tony Trimmer (6 -Lola T330), Sean Walker (44 -March 782), Mark Dwyer (1 -March 773), Simon Diffey (52 - Chevron B28), Frank Lyons (55 - Lola T332), Neil Glover (30 - Lola T330/332), Marcus Pye (Lola T332). Hidden behind Marcus, (I think) is James Murray (27 - Brabham BT36). The first part of the race lasted just one lap, since exiting Druids for the first time, Trimmer and Walker had a controversial coming together which resulted in a safety car period:-

Through Paddock Hill Bend for the second time and Chris Alford (23 - Lyncar 001 - 8th), experienced campaigner that he is, raises his arm to indicate to those behind that he is slowing, having sighted the SC boards. Behind are Bruce Fullerton (61 - Lola T300 - 10th) and John Dunham (58 - March 71BM - 11th):-

The restart, with Dunn still in front and going on to win, with Diffey (2nd) and Dwyer (3rd). Behind are Neil Glover who was in determined mood, targeting a podium place and Marcus Pye who made Neil (not literally!) his target for the weekend. They both missed by one position finishing 4th and 5th respectively with Frank Lyons in 6th. They thus finished in the order shown and the flag was shown after only 3 further racing laps, due to time constraints:-

Tim Barry, although completing 7 laps was not classified in his Trojan T102:-
Old 19 Jul 2007, 18:15 (Ref:1967688)   #106
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Marcus, I was only there for Day 2, so it's down to someone else to respond, but I'd like to see that, too!
Old 19 Jul 2007, 18:49 (Ref:1967711)   #107
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its so great to see Tony Trimmer out in the T330. Is that the same John Jordan one he drove in Formula Libre back in the 1980s ?
Old 19 Jul 2007, 21:01 (Ref:1967827)   #108
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
I know the A40 was built from a "donor" shell, like the Mustang. So the bodyshells are from the correct time/period, but the cars are essentially new as they do not have previous racing history. It's a bit like the run of "new" Lola T70s which are being built to exactly the same spec. as the original race cars. There is nothing wrong with this in my view, so long as everything is historically correct (e.g. the correct size engine, transmission etc..)
Old 20 Jul 2007, 08:53 (Ref:1968140)   #109
rbm
Racer

rbm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa
Has anybody a photo of the "Monaco" that ran in the F3 race? I am sure I have seen a photo somewhere but as usual I cannot find it when I need it.
Much appreciate your help!
Marcus

http://www.500race.org/Competition/M...s%20300607.jpg

or

http://www.500race.org/ and look at the Iota Trophy results page.

Richard.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 10:34 (Ref:1968227)   #110
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Birley
I know the A40 was built from a "donor" shell, like the Mustang. So the bodyshells are from the correct time/period, but the cars are essentially new as they do not have previous racing history. There is nothing wrong with this in my view, so long as everything is historically correct (e.g. the correct size engine, transmission etc..)
and THerein lays the problem with historic saloon racing, everything is not historically correct

having said that I must point out that Ians car is remarkably period correct, and runs a 1098 as it did/should, ie its not a 1460 70's spridget !!!
Old 20 Jul 2007, 10:54 (Ref:1968242)   #111
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm
http://www.500race.org/Competition/M...s%20300607.jpg

or

http://www.500race.org/ and look at the Iota Trophy results page.

Richard.
Thanks Richard!
All the best
Marcus
Old 20 Jul 2007, 11:51 (Ref:1968284)   #112
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 15 - Classic Racing Cars

The final race of the meeting which ran its full distance owing to the shortening of the DBT. Just to be contentious, I know which one I would have preferred, as a spectator, to see run longer.

Matthew Watts won by 36 seconds from Ian Gray. The best dice of the race was for 3rd between Tony Keele (36 - Palliser WDB3) and Michael Lyons (95 - Merlyn Mk11A). On a couple of occasions when we thought that Keele had established himself in front, the young Lyons came back at him. However, he was able to ease away toward the end to the tune of 3.8 seconds:-

Roy MacGregor (14 - Hawke DL2B - 18th), Anthony Goddard (9 - Merlyn Mk9 - 16th) and Grant Saunders (17 - March 703 - 20th):-

Peter Williams (27 - BT15 - 24th) runs wide to allow second place man, Ian Gray (22 - BT30) to lap him:-

Ronnie Haines (45 - Cooper T43 - 10th) and John Hutchinson (89 - Crossle 14F -8th):-
Old 20 Jul 2007, 12:08 (Ref:1968293)   #113
rbm
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa
Thanks Richard!
All the best
Marcus
No Problem, should have said there is also a very good race report and a load of other pictures (including me getting a tad damp!) if anyone else is intrested.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1968302)   #114
rbm
Racer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcTPagn0v9I

a short video of the Monaco