Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jun 2012, 11:04 (Ref:3087446)   #101
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Always makes me wonder if a driver (Lewis in this case) is taking a bit of a gamble? Of course, i can understand the desire to see whats out there, but it can also send a message to the team "i'm waiting to see if i can find anything better!", what happen's if the current team, thinking that their driver is leaving find a replacement, (for arguements sake, lets say they take Di Resta on), then it transpires that (lets say) Ferrari decide to keep Massa which means that there is no place at Ferrari for Webber, where does that leave Lewis? Backwards to Force India?
In that situation one of the big teams would either fire someone (most likely Ferrari firing Massa) or would sign him up straight away for 2014.
Having a season at FI for example would do no harm for Hamilton whatsoever, it would only enhance his reputation.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 11:28 (Ref:3087463)   #102
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
Having a season at FI for example would do no harm for Hamilton whatsoever, it would only enhance his reputation.
But would Lewis want to race for FI for a season? Of course, Fernando did it in 2008/9 but he was racing for a team that he had a history, a successfull one at that with.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3087476)   #103
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I just don't see Hamilton leaving McLaren at the moment. They want to keep him, and they're his best option. All this financial shadow boxing will end in agreement, I'm sure.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3087480)   #104
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Wouldn't Hamilton see that as a step down, or backward?
Old 8 Jun 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3087522)   #105
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I just don't see Hamilton leaving McLaren at the moment. They want to keep him, and they're his best option. All this financial shadow boxing will end in agreement, I'm sure.
And he wants that McLaren roadcar as promised to him by Ron Dennis, he does need a few more tiltles for it to be his.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 13:20 (Ref:3087531)   #106
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I am slightly surprised by Hamilton's hint that he may not finalise his future until the end of the season, unless he knows he'll stay at McLaren and just wants to tidy up details. Ferrari will likely announce Massa's replacement at Monza, and, if it's Webber, Red Bull will want to sign up a new driver fairly quickly, I'd think (Ricciardo?). I'd have thought that Mercedes will have re-signed Schumacher by then, so Hamilton would - in theory - be in danger of being left with nowhere appropriate to go if he couldn't agree terms with McLaren.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3087532)   #107
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Ya, I'm pretty sure you're right. This is fairly standard behaviour during retainer negotiations.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3087628)   #108
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
And he wants that McLaren roadcar as promised to him by Ron Dennis, he does need a few more tiltles for it to be his.
Wasn't that for 2 consecutive titles?
Old 9 Jun 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3087887)   #109
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wasn't that for 2 consecutive titles?
No, the agreement was he had to win 3 titles for McLaren. They didn't have to be consecutive either.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3087936)   #110
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
No, the agreement was he had to win 3 titles for McLaren. They didn't have to be consecutive either.
Oh right, cheers. Seem's like that won't be happening anytime soon then.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3087944)   #111
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton not commiting to Mclaren shows all the signs he is planning a move or is still undecided. If he wanted to stay a deal would have already been done and he would be signed for the next 5 years or so. I would place bets on him being in a redbull next year at this rate as that is the only other competative team he is likley to go to.

Ferrari is a no with Alonso at the helm, that is if webber retires or gets shifted off to Ferrari to replace massa for a year to follow by Perez in 2014.

Although with Hamilton not making a decison and really being the crutial player in the drivers market this year (as vettle has already said his commitment to Red Bull) is could become very hectic towards the end of the season with a lot of drivers not knowing what they are doing at all.

And odds are all this delaying is an attempt by hamilton to boost his ego knowing that he is the trigger for where everyone else will be next year.

That said McLaren are not exactly doing badley at the moment.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3087947)   #112
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketcar View Post
Although with Hamilton not making a decison and really being the crutial player in the drivers market this year (as vettle has already said his commitment to Red Bull)
I'm not sure that Lewis is the crucial player as, if other stories are to be believed (although we all know how wide of the mark they can be) alot rides on other drivers moving.

I'm not entirely convinced about Luca's assessment of Perez and that he needs more experience. If Sergio gets slotted into Ferrari, that would stop Mark getting the seat (if he was interested that is) and he (MW) could decide to stay at Red Bull and that could effect Lewis ? Who knows.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3087972)   #113
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What we know is that Lewis is fairly meh and that the driver market is waiting for di Resta to make his move before everything falls into place.

I think he'll stay at McLaren but on a shorter contract. He doesn't owe them anything IMO, there has been plenty of success. Lewis didn't fulfil his part of the bargain for a while last season but McLaren have been a consistent letdown for looking like four seasons now. He cannot tether himself to the team forever if he wants to succeed, McLaren have hardly torn the track up for most of the last decade.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 12:52 (Ref:3087987)   #114
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Wouldn't Hamilton see that as a step down, or backward?
Of course he would (who wouldn't) but if it's FI or sit out a year if he gets caught out which do you think a core racer like Hamilton would choose?
Old 9 Jun 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3087995)   #115
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
But would Lewis want to race for FI for a season?
If it's that or sit out for a season though?

ps, anyone, is there a way I can quote different people in the same response?
Old 9 Jun 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3088055)   #116
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yeah easiest way is too open separate windows, quote and then cut and paste onto your original reply.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3088061)   #117
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Oh right, cheers. Seem's like that won't be happening anytime soon then.
It might happen within 2 years, it might not. The sport changes so quickly its possible he'll reach 3 titles before Alonso or Vettel, but who knows?
Old 9 Jun 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3088121)   #118
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
It might happen within 2 years, it might not. The sport changes so quickly its possible he'll reach 3 titles before Alonso or Vettel, but who knows?
It might happen, as you say, who knows. But i think that Lewis is likely to leave McLaren first. He may well end up a 3 time (maybe more) champion, but i don't see it with McLaren and him winning the car.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3088137)   #119
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Of course he would (who wouldn't) but if it's FI or sit out a year if he gets caught out which do you think a core racer like Hamilton would choose?
Kimi's break doesn't seem to have done him any harm, in fact it would appear to have had the opposite effect.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3088181)   #120
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Kimi's break doesn't seem to have done him any harm, in fact it would appear to have had the opposite effect.
I don't want to see Hamilton take a year out of the sport especially in his prime. The sport was a lot poorer for not having Kimi on the grid and the same would be said if Lewis did the same. Unless drivers like Vettel and Alonso are willing to have a teammate who is likely to challenge them in a serious sense and the teams accept equal status within the squad, Hamilton is unlikely to move anytime soon. Mercedes is a step backwards and so is Ferrari IMO. More money will come to the table and Lewis will re-sign his contract.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 09:18 (Ref:3088366)   #121
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:

Unless drivers like Vettel and Alonso are willing to have a teammate who is likely to challenge them in a serious sense and the teams accept equal status within the squad, Hamilton is unlikely to move anytime soon
How do you know that this isn't the case? If rumours are to be believed then Vettel/Alonso may be going up against each other at Ferrari?
Old 10 Jun 2012, 09:37 (Ref:3088373)   #122
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
How do you know that this isn't the case? If rumours are to be believed then Vettel/Alonso may be going up against each other at Ferrari?
I wasn't suggesting they are not prepared for such a placement because quite simply I do not know. I think in a situation like this it is more likey the team who are less keen on such an arrangement, but as fans we do not know what is around the corner. I wasn't stating anything as fact or relying on the rumour mill.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3088376)   #123
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
I wasn't stating anything as fact or relying on the rumour mill.
Well, as none of us are actually in F1, we don't know the facts and the rumour mill is what drives this forum and our discussions most of the time
Old 10 Jun 2012, 09:52 (Ref:3088379)   #124
henners88
Veteran

Wales
I think a round of applause is needed. I owe you an ice cream.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 10:00 (Ref:3088382)   #125
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ahem.

Ferrari is not a step backwards.

For anybody.

Ever.

Capiche?

Closed Thread