Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Apr 2012, 09:01 (Ref:3060777)   #101
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well since the race pics are well covered by fellow posters, I'll just put a few pit and paddock shots up to complete the picture. Great to meet up with Wayne, Al and Rikki, which I should have said in my first post.

Incidentally, some of these cars came out for the Swinging Sixties race which on Saturday fielded 45 cars - pretty amazing stuff. Since we don't have a separate thread (or do we, way back?) might be an idea to cover that race off on here, too:-
Attached Thumbnails
CSCCSnet14pril2012 016wb.jpg   CSCCSnet14pril2012 018wb.jpg   CSCCSnet14pril2012 114wb.jpg  

CSCCSnet14pril2012 122wb.jpg   CSCCSnet14pril2012 124wb.jpg   CSCCSnet14pril2012 128wb.jpg  

Old 17 Apr 2012, 10:00 (Ref:3060813)   #102
Tom Barley
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Tom Barley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool video james, got to see some of myself for a couple of mins (Grey and Blue camaro) until you go past. My onboard didn't work, go pros are a nightmare. Well done..
Old 17 Apr 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3060820)   #103
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
modes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Well since the race pics are well covered by fellow posters, I'll just put a few pit and paddock shots up to complete the picture. Great to meet up with Wayne, Al and Rikki, which I should have said in my first post.

Incidentally, some of these cars came out for the Swinging Sixties race which on Saturday fielded 45 cars - pretty amazing stuff. Since we don't have a separate thread (or do we, way back?) might be an idea to cover that race off on here, too:-
John, like the photos.

Its Al's Thread, but wouldn't it be a bit confusing mixing up "Threads" and the Swinging Sixties does get a lot of exposure elsewhere. Bernie's series is set up for V8s of all sorts and that is its attraction.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3060822)   #104
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
A few from the weekend from me as well...
The 'modes' MGB, James Tucker's Marcos, The orange Corvette as mentioned by John Turner, The MGB GT lifts a wheel exiting Murray's, Moosehead's donut and the TR7 V8 mentioned by Al (with evidence of tyre smoke from a yellow Camaro in the background!)
Attachment 36660 Attachment 36661Attachment 36662 Attachment 36663Attachment 36664 Attachment 36665
Good photos, I only get a blur if I take a photo of a moving car. The Orange Sting Ray is excellent, Bernie's silver Corvette was great and loved John Dickson's car. But my son reckoned this was the only Grid he'd ever seen where he would have loved to own any them! Including Al's!
Old 17 Apr 2012, 10:34 (Ref:3060829)   #105
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
A few from the weekend from me as well...(with evidence of tyre smoke from a yellow Camaro in the background!)
Old 17 Apr 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3060859)   #106
jamesjtucker
Rookie

England
Burntwood/Lichfield
jamesjtucker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barley View Post
Cool video james, got to see some of myself for a couple of mins (Grey and Blue camaro) until you go past. My onboard didn't work, go pros are a nightmare. Well done..
Yeah I put my GoPro on Bernie's car for the endurance race but pressed something wrongly and only got 10 seconds of footage. I should probably read the instructions though!
Old 17 Apr 2012, 12:24 (Ref:3060889)   #107
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Shame that would have made a good movie.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3061117)   #108
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Part 1 of Saturdays sprint race -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd7uq...ature=youtu.be
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 17 Apr 2012, 20:56 (Ref:3061161)   #109
Moosehead
Veteran

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNxt0...ature=youtu.be
Old 17 Apr 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3061163)   #110
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Both really good. You can't say you weren't trying!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 10:54 (Ref:3061407)   #111
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Awesome just awesome!

Just in case you don't look at the CSCC site (shame on you) full galleries from both days can be found HERE Did do my usual trick of taking waaaaay too many shots and I seem to have got more of the V8's than is perhaps healthy [smiles]

Fell in love big time with a truck in the parking area on Saturday,

Go on tell me this doesn't get to you right . . . . . . . . . . there [blush]

Big thumbs up to Bernie again.

.DAVID.

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3061612)   #112
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stallard View Post
Awesome just awesome!

Just in case you don't look at the CSCC site (shame on you) full galleries from both days can be found HERE Did do my usual trick of taking waaaaay too many shots and I seem to have got more of the V8's than is perhaps healthy [smiles]

Fell in love big time with a truck in the parking area on Saturday,

Go on tell me this doesn't get to you right . . . . . . . . . . there [blush]

Big thumbs up to Bernie again.

.DAVID.
Hi David,

Over a 1,000 photos! I was able to show the wife the two cars I had a close race with on Saturday as a result, being photos 572 and 573, Simon Miller's blue Mustang and Adam Simmonds yellow Mustang. Then Simon and I had a good race most of the 40 minutes on the Sunday, till I started running out of petrol about 5 laps from the end! But finished, just, we had to put some petrol in to get it on the trailer!

Agree on the black pick up!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3061651)   #113
Moosehead
Veteran

Have now put most of the 40 minute Feature race on YT in a number of parts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyT2...d0AUAAAAAAADAA
Old 18 Apr 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3061672)   #114
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Modes - your welcome, and believe me to get it 'down to a 1000' was hard work, my mission this season is to take less but it's not going so well yet lol.

Wayne - awesome vids, been playing them today at work with the sound going through a stereo, rest of the area weren't impressed but sod em

.DAVID.

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 20:40 (Ref:3061688)   #115
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
All four parts of the 40 minute race from my 2nd gen Camaro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnXCB_itm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ohZJMimcE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwvAOhV_bIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDf0X8Yg91w
Old 18 Apr 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3061721)   #116
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate

Al, Cliff

After watching these I am going to have a Valium and a big glass of whisky! You two need a bravery award. Just think how quick the Camaro would be if the handling problems were resolved! Wow!

You two have my heroes of the weekend award.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 05:53 (Ref:3061849)   #117
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Ha ha thanks Modes, she is a bit of a handful thats for sure.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 06:05 (Ref:3061851)   #118
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I took a truck like that in part ex against my old Chevy G50 panel van I used to tow with, I allowed the guy about 800 quid and was gonna just bung it in the yank mag to get money back when a friend of mine pointed out it had real value so I upped the price to nearly 2k and the phone never stopped ringing I could have sold a dozen of them and got as much as I did for the panel van!
Old 20 Apr 2012, 09:11 (Ref:3062508)   #119
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Ha ha thanks Modes, she is a bit of a handful thats for sure.
Hi Al

Strange thing, handling on cars. When the big yellow Camaro appeared to perform quite a bit better on Saturday than the same cars on the 300 circuit, with actually many more corners than on Sunday's 200 circuit. You would have thought it would have been the reverse. I'm sure you'll sort that out.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3062579)   #120
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I did lower the tyre pressures conciderably after talking to some of the other yank runners which I felt definitely helped. When I race at my usual club I find as I am the only one with a yank running its hard to get any feed back. I have been on to Kieth in the States who sold me the rear AR bar and I am sure he will come back with more advise as he seems a good guy, his first impression is the front spring rates maybe well too low which I think may be right as when I ran it with a lighter A/R bar up front and none on the rear she nearly tipped over and was aweful! Also another observation if you look at James's Marcos in car vid you will see I was a country mile infront of you and the two Notch back Mustangs on Saturday before I ran out of go gas on the very last lap.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 12:16 (Ref:3062601)   #121
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I did lower the tyre pressures conciderably after talking to some of the other yank runners which I felt definitely helped. When I race at my usual club I find as I am the only one with a yank running its hard to get any feed back. I have been on to Kieth in the States who sold me the rear AR bar and I am sure he will come back with more advise as he seems a good guy, his first impression is the front spring rates maybe well too low which I think may be right as when I ran it with a lighter A/R bar up front and none on the rear she nearly tipped over and was aweful! Also another observation if you look at James's Marcos in car vid you will see I was a country mile infront of you and the two Notch back Mustangs on Saturday before I ran out of go gas on the very last lap.
I know, in Saturday's race we couldn't catch you! Though Adam, Simon and me had a good race together and I still think you slowed down a bit to join in! I only ever saw the back of the yellow beast from a distance!

By the way, I did like the two rolling starts on Saturday. I've never heard of it happening before and it seemed a good innovation by our hosts in the Classic Sports Car Club and Bernie. The additional length of the 300 circuit probably making this practical. It seemed to cut down on first lap incidents with so many big cars on the track and I thought it worked well particularly for the slower cars such as me as we weren't dodging the "hyper cars" until well in to the race and could settle down. Good that the CSCC would consider this on the day. Does anyone know whether this is the first time this has ever been done?
Old 20 Apr 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3062637)   #122
Tom Barley
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Tom Barley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, that was the first ever double rolling start at Snetterton!
Old 20 Apr 2012, 15:18 (Ref:3062679)   #123
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barley View Post
Yes, that was the first ever double rolling start at Snetterton!

Hi Tom

Bit of history then.

You seemed to be going really well on Saturday, finished not too far behind Rikki's Aston. What happened on Sunday?
Old 20 Apr 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3062801)   #124
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by modes View Post
By the way, I did like the two rolling starts on Saturday. I've never heard of it happening before and it seemed a good innovation by our hosts in the Classic Sports Car Club and Bernie. The additional length of the 300 circuit probably making this practical. It seemed to cut down on first lap incidents with so many big cars on the track and I thought it worked well particularly for the slower cars such as me as we weren't dodging the "hyper cars" until well in to the race and could settle down. Good that the CSCC would consider this on the day. Does anyone know whether this is the first time this has ever been done?
Certainly as far as I can recall (from some 42 years experience of Snet) it is the first time this has been tried at Snetterton and thanks to the combined benefit of the 3 mile circuit and the benefit of previous experience (Oct last year) of the V8 competitors excellent driving standards it was certainly worth a try when Bernie suggested it.

The two actual race starts were indeed one minute apart as confirmed by TSL's timing, we had to have a gap such as this to ensure we had an opportunity to abort the second start should anything have gone wrong with the first grid at the first two or three corners, and likewise for the same reasons with the second grid so we could red the first before Bombhole / Coram if that makes sense. It was quite an interesting exercise for me talking round two Pace Cars at the same time and trying to balance their speeds and ensuring the race cars were forming up correctly in formation for both groups.

I did need to find a quiet darkened room afterwards to recover my composure.

From this events experience it may be feasible to reduce this time gap slightly but as I am sure you can appreciate we do need to ensure there is a safety margin for the unexpected especially with the number of cars involved.

Thanks for all your help with allowing us to try this start process.

Terry
Old 20 Apr 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3062810)   #125
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a little un-nerving to say the least Terry! We seemed to sit on the grid for ages, and then to hear the 1st grid were racing when we were still on a rolling lap was most odd!! Andy & I had visions of grid one overtaking us comng round Murrays!! Certainly concentrated the mind!!