Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 20 Dec 2015, 11:48 (Ref:3598943)   #101
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seriously tt, are you actually trying to tell me there is such a thing as grass roots drifting? That isn't just messing about on the public roads or in industrial estate car parks!

Lydden have capitalised on drifting and modified cars, their show there is by far their biggest event, the success of that no doubt prompted them to incorporate more of that stuff, plus they decided to let the race meetings go, how much more evidence do you need!

So they looked at drifitng and killed off club racing in the South East, thats the answer is it? Dear me.

They can run at Santa Pod and all sorts of places, the sport is nowhere near big enough to warrant track days at a venue that could make more money from proper circuit track days. If they want their own venue, then they have enough money to approach someone at an old airfield, convert a smallish area and drift there, it's out the way, cheaper in the long run and they can go when they like until some dweeb starts moaning. Lydden is a place nailed by sound isses and screeching tyres is NEVER going to work there, as has been understood by those in charge. So they want to make money from their noise days, what gives?

If you actually like drifting then you have to ask a question about why! But seeing as though rallycross is trying to cash in on it with Gittin everywhere and guys like Block, then i guess you are the perfect fan!
Old 20 Dec 2015, 15:10 (Ref:3598972)   #102
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Seriously tt, are you actually trying to tell me there is such a thing as grass roots drifting? That isn't just messing about on the public roads or in industrial estate car parks!
Do you think that drivers just wake up one morning, build themselves an 600 BHP RWD car, skid it round a car park and then head to their first round of the BDC? Of course there is a grass roots scene and, if you read any of the bigger UK drift forums (which I'm sure you don't) you'd see the seasoned drivers are always pushing new drivers to track sessions rather than the street. Sadly the list of options for doing the former is getting shorter though.

Santa Pod have run open drift sessions for years but, as good as Santa Pod is, it's not a proper track. I have seen drifting at a number of circuits in the UK and Lydden is one of the few - and the only one in the South of England - that it "works" at.

Perhaps it was a "cash in" to host drift events there... or perhaps it was playing to the strength of the circuit?

Quote:
Lydden have capitalised on drifting and modified cars, their show there is by far their biggest event, the success of that no doubt prompted them to incorporate more of that stuff, plus they decided to let the race meetings go, how much more evidence do you need!
Oh yeah, I forgot that Lydden are the only track in the UK hosting a car show that caters for modified cars, those sellouts...

Quote:
They can run at Santa Pod and all sorts of places
Santa Pod is now the most Southerly venue hosting open drift events and, as mentioned above, it's not a proper track. If you can post up a list of "all sorts of other places" (that aren't industrial estates or car parks) then I - and I'm sure a lot of drift car owners in the South - will be all ears.

Having said the above - and it's an issue that some in the drift community do seem to have identified but, sadly, others have not - but the conduct of some drivers who attend drift track days is a major factor. I personally think that the behavior of the minority on the roads around Lydden is as much of an issue as the noise and smoke from the track itself: the comments from the locals concerning the development of the circuit would certainly support this.

Quote:
If you actually like drifting then you have to ask a question about why! But seeing as though rallycross is trying to cash in on it with Gittin everywhere and guys like Block, then i guess you are the perfect fan!
I fail to see the connection between Block and drifting, but I won't disagree that drifting does seem to have become a marketing fave - and a gap-filling fave - when it comes to events these days. I have said on numerous occasions in the past that I don't think it does drifting any favours when its given a 5 minute slot during a lunch break to try and win fans over: in fact I personally think it has the opposite effect.
Old 20 Dec 2015, 17:30 (Ref:3598990)   #103
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I live near Luton and I can tell you a whole byunch of illegal drifting goes on around here. And has done in this area for years, it is part of the "scene".

It is not a motorsport, it is an Xgames activity hence why IMG love it, and obviously it fits in with their sponsor as Gitten and Saito are legends in that arena and have a big folliwing as does Block who started all this type of thing many years ago in a sort of dirt way.

Palamer would not touch drifting, he knows what side his bread is buttered and that is track days.

I can understand why Lydden went for it but really its a hiding to nothing. THey turned away the racing scene that had been built up nicely to try and capitalise on a show (there are not many as big as that fella, maybe Trax not much else) and use that show as a springboard to make them revenue.

I dont care for drifting, never have. I gvae it a chance but it has gone away from what it was which was a total God of a driver sliding around the Nurburgring in a 911 to a car shows on wheels in car parks.

Watch D1GP mate, a lof of events there are in parking lots aswell as parts of race circuits!

Lydden Hill is not Ebisu!
Old 21 Dec 2015, 09:49 (Ref:3599123)   #104
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I live near Luton and I can tell you a whole byunch of illegal drifting goes on around here. And has done in this area for years, it is part of the "scene".
So because some street drifting occurs in your local area, that is your evidence to determine that there isn't an active grass roots scene? I'm not (or rather I wasn't) a frequent attendee of the drift track days at Lydden, but I saw numerous drivers getting seat time/licenses there prior to moving on to bigger Championships. Lydden was also one of the stops of the Driftcup Championship, which I doubt will able to find a replacement venue in the bottom half of the country.

Without meaning to drift (pun not intended) too far off the topic of this thread - and revisiting a point from my previous post - street drifting and the conduct of some drivers is a massive part of the problem. If there were more accessible drift track days, then that sort of behavior might be less commonplace, but until drifting shakes off its **** poor image, I can't see tracks being interested...

Quote:
Palamer would not touch drifting, he knows what side his bread is buttered and that is track days.
...can't say I disagree with that. Having said that, even if JP did suddenly gain an interest, I've seen drifting at Brands and the circuit isn't suited for it. There are only two corners that can be easily linked.

Quote:
It is not a motorsport, it is an Xgames activity hence why IMG love it, and obviously it fits in with their sponsor as Gitten and Saito are legends in that arena and have a big folliwing...
I await correction, but since when has drifting ever been a part of X-Games? I can see it being a convenient tie in with the sponsors, but I don't personally think that's enough to proclaim that IMG "love it": drifting has just become the filler of choice at motorsport events (in much the same way that freestyle motocross demos seemed to shoehorned into every event a few years ago)...

Quote:
...as does Block who started all this type of thing many years ago in a sort of dirt way.
...not entirely sure on your history here: Block's introduction to the mainstream was with the first gymkhana video. He didn't "start" anything though, in fact the first gymkhana video only came about because he had a car built to compete in the US gymkhana series during the rally off-season, but the series collapsed shortly afterwards, so he was left with a car with no use. El Toro was hired, a film crew attended and a viral video was (accidentally) born...

...of course I won't deny that the gymkhana videos have become a huge marketing tool. But thanks to Block the US gymkhana series has (sort of) been resurrected as Gymkhana Grid. Gymkhana isn't drifting though: it's autocross by another name.

Quote:
I can understand why Lydden went for it but really its a hiding to nothing. THey turned away the racing scene that had been built up nicely to try and capitalise on a show (there are not many as big as that fella, maybe Trax not much else) and use that show as a springboard to make them revenue.
Perhaps not as big if you directly compare entry numbers, but for some tracks (Castle Combe immediately springs to mind) their modified car show got the best gate numbers of the year.

Quote:
Watch D1GP mate, a lof of events there are in parking lots aswell as parts of race circuits!

Lydden Hill is not Ebisu!
I do: it was imported D1GP videos that got me interested in competition drifting in the first place! Your point about drift tracks in car parks is a valid one: as I mentioned in my previous post there are only a handful of circuits drift works at, because most circuits are too spread out. Car park layouts can be made as tight as possible and thus perfect for close drifting. I'm sure if you've watched D1GP (especially from a few years ago) you are well aware of this though.

I daresay the geography of Japan helps, as many of the circuits are compact and twisty, so well suited to drifting. Not entirely sure the relevance of comparing Lydden Hill to Ebisu? I never claimed that the track was a legendary drift venue, just that it's one of only a handful of circuits in the UK suited for drift!
Old 22 Dec 2015, 21:44 (Ref:3599540)   #105
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
We are geting away from the point and that is that I hvae been reliably informed that drifting is the sole reason for complaints at the track.

it has to be really as hardly anything else goes on there! Track days are the money, and the vast majority o track day cars make hardly any noise, (if properly policed), they dont make tons of smoke and tyre screeching and most drivers are responsible.

What the real issue is centres around what Lydden are going to do.

My fear is that they will hike the proce drastically for WRX as they have done incrementally to pay for the hosting fees since 2012.

But without much else to bring in revenue (unless Tope Gear continue to go there twice a year) I cant see the futire looking bright for other motorsport.
Old 22 Dec 2015, 22:30 (Ref:3599549)   #106
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we get this back on topic. I have no interest in drifting or of reading bickering

Anyone heard any more rumors about 2016.........................??
Old 22 Dec 2015, 23:20 (Ref:3599562)   #107
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting interview with Mattias Ekström
http://blog.wheelsbywovka.com/interv...ly-cross-talk/

Not a rumor but Norwegian Touringcar driver Tom Daniel Tånevik has bought Rustads ex-Hunsbedt Volvo C30 and will compete in the ERX.
Old 23 Dec 2015, 09:00 (Ref:3599614)   #108
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
Can we get this back on topic. I have no interest in drifting or of reading bickering
He started it!

Quote:
Anyone heard any more rumors about 2016.........................??
Not a rumour, but a story that has been shared on Facebook the last few days...

...Jochen Coox has bought a VW Polo from Marklund Motorsport. According to RX Inside it is the Polo that Foust used in Global Rallycross (and I assume in the select World Championship rounds he appeared at?). The car is now with Ingvar Gunnarsson, be interesting to see where this is used in 2016.
Old 23 Dec 2015, 09:46 (Ref:3599621)   #109
CS1
Racer

[QUOTE=tbtstt;3599614]He started it! :laugh

He always does!!!
Old 23 Dec 2015, 11:15 (Ref:3599640)   #110
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Coox always buys VW Audi stuff and will use it in Belgium where he has done for a decade or more.

he might do the odd round in the UK to test praps, but will obviously not be doing WRX, he is not sponsored by an energy drink!

THe discussion was there on merit about Lydden. And ended with fact.

Its hardly like you guys talk about anything interesting other than rumours or new cars.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 07:03 (Ref:3599891)   #111
CS1
Racer

I'm interested to see how 2016 takes shape.
Larsson must have impressed the big teams so am wondering if he jumps from a family team to a paid drive. He can't have gone unnoticed to ekstrom

Bakkerud and nitiss appear to be quite vulnerable and would assume they have knocked on the doors of teams.
Will be interesting if they do move who they are replaced by at OMSE

thought.....?
Old 24 Dec 2015, 09:17 (Ref:3599901)   #112
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Bakkerud and nitiss appear to be quite vulnerable and would assume they have knocked on the doors of teams.
Will be interesting if they do move who they are replaced by at OMSE

thought.....?
I know Bakkerud has not secured a seat yet but is working on to have a works drive. The OMSE Fiestas actually did not match the speed of other cars during some events and Bakkerud spoke openly in a Norwegian newspaper about how he was disappointed in the performance of the car. OMSE might also lose their Ford backing (there is a possibility, especially if M-Sport joins WRX). My guess is that we won't be seeing him race their, but that is just my theory and anything can happen.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 11:17 (Ref:3599926)   #113
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
If I was young and Scandinavian I would not want to drive for Eriksson, he seems a nasty man, a very aggressive man and you know those cars will all be driven by his kids soon, and they are just as dirty on track as he was.

He is very critical of his drivers openly. Their cars are good but he seems to expect to dominate! And a guy like Timur who was dominant for a few years realy struggled in that car.

And he seems to have a bottomless pit of money somehow that worries me.

This father son thing concerns me a lot, you just know that Hansen Peugeot will be both kids, Marklund has got there over and above guys like Enerberg, Larsson fair play is doing his own thing and seems happy to and Erikssons kids are likely to be in Dads team too.

Its not healthy in my opinion.
Old 2 Jan 2016, 16:11 (Ref:3601593)   #114
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it's 2016, hope everyone had a good RXmas and happy new year.

Any "new" news for World or Euro RX?
Old 2 Jan 2016, 16:24 (Ref:3601602)   #115
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
So it's 2016, hope everyone had a good RXmas and happy new year.

Any "new" news for World or Euro RX?
Rumor of Liam Doran and Robin Larsson at JRM, though Larssons team said that this rumor is more than they know themselves so Larsson being with JRM at this point is very unlikely. Doran at JRM would not surprise me that much
Old 2 Jan 2016, 16:29 (Ref:3601603)   #116
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to admit that I´m a little bit dissapointed that there is nearly nothing confirmed yet. Ok, compared with other FIA World Championships World RX starts late into the season, but there should be more information. Which teams will take part? Which car Petter Solberg takes? Will there be a M-Sport-team? Will we see Sébastien Loeb at any round? So much to clarify...
Old 2 Jan 2016, 21:13 (Ref:3601652)   #117
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.U. View Post
I have to admit that I´m a little bit dissapointed that there is nearly nothing confirmed yet. Ok, compared with other FIA World Championships World RX starts late into the season, but there should be more information. Which teams will take part? Which car Petter Solberg takes? Will there be a M-Sport-team? Will we see Sébastien Loeb at any round? So much to clarify...
Solberg will stick with his DS3 that he used this season
Old 3 Jan 2016, 12:23 (Ref:3601766)   #118
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I would guess the lack of news is because this is NOT a massive series. Things are probably tied up very last minute, budgets for what you actually win are very distorted!
Old 3 Jan 2016, 21:30 (Ref:3601896)   #119
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Rumor of Liam Doran and Robin Larsson at JRM, though Larssons team said that this rumor is more than they know themselves so Larsson being with JRM at this point is very unlikely. Doran at JRM would not surprise me that much
Yeah, Liam at JRM doesn't seem that surprising a move, does it? Not sure if the Countryman will have the pace of the DS3, but hopefully a JRM run car will be more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Solberg will stick with his DS3 that he used this season
If that's the case (and Liam is looking elsewhere), I wonder what Petter's team plan will be? Will he run a second car again, or will he just run as a solo entrant?
Old 4 Jan 2016, 18:18 (Ref:3602032)   #120
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't post much anymore but Chunder I have to disagree with you on Andreas. He cares passionately about OMSE and its success. That means he is incredibly tough on everyone who is part of the program whether that be its engine partner, suspension or yes, the drivers. These seats aren't free and he has to give an account for the budget to Ford, the sponsors and also to Olsbergs. I give him credit for building a viable motorsport company within less than a decade.

I believe there will be some surprises in who is running what in 2016. There is so much chatter happening but - and here Chunder is right - budgets are incredibly high and coming together later and later. They have shot up around 30/40% since 2012 and that's for a Semi-final (maybe) car vs. a winning car.

WRX is great but needs a better TV deal for the budgets you need to compete. GRC has a TV deal you can sell but no entries. WRX has the entries but no meaningful TV deals. I predict 2016 will be a stronger season than 2015.

Mark
Old 4 Jan 2016, 19:16 (Ref:3602044)   #121
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I would guess the WRX tv deal is fairly cheap as Eurosport do not compete for motorsport as they once did. They are French so really only bothered abut their series like WTCC and IRC and things like Dakar (largely French).

So, I would guess the coverage is cheap in comparison to say MotoGP, WRC, WEC.

As for the actual coverage, well it started off OK, but is now basically a works teams show for an hour. The ERC guys get token coverage of all their heats and none of it is full of them. That will only get worse as they are not in the same heats anymore, meaning the tv coverage will focus completely on the works teams, everything else will be spammed to the youtube channel.

And I am not even mentioning the support classes who get the rawest deal of all from the tv, they better not be paying anything for it as if they are that is daylight robbery!

So really it's up to the drivers, the part timers, stay away and be treated like a second class citizen in the championship you helped create, or stick around and hope for scraps and a few seconds of coverage.
Old 4 Jan 2016, 21:39 (Ref:3602073)   #122
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
In Sweden the public service channel SVT acquired the rights for WRX for three years. They have shown a bigger and bigger interest in rallycross since they started broadcasting RallyX in 2014. But much like IMG there is a very big focus on WRX and very little, maybe non, on ERX from SVT
Old 4 Jan 2016, 23:54 (Ref:3602108)   #123
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I can totally understand a Scandinavian channel paying a lot for TV rights as the series is pretty much dominated by Swedes and Norwegians.

It makes a lot of sense. IMG probably don't like it to much, but let's hope that is one thing from the past that stays.

Just about everything else about our sports history is being taken away.
Old 7 Jan 2016, 12:33 (Ref:3602768)   #124
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
I see the official World Rallycross FB page is making mention of Loeb again: is a full season from him looking more likely do we think?

Timmy and Sébastien in PH 208's?
Old 9 Jan 2016, 14:59 (Ref:3603303)   #125
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I would guess the WRX tv deal is fairly cheap as Eurosport do not compete for motorsport as they once did. They are French so really only bothered abut their series like WTCC and IRC and things like Dakar (largely French).

So, I would guess the coverage is cheap in comparison to say MotoGP, WRC, WEC.
Eurosport is owned by Discovery Channel.
They show MotoGP in The Netherlands.