Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 25 Apr 2011, 22:12 (Ref:2869780)   #101
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendy View Post
MOST SUPERKART DRIVERS TEND TO BE GERIATRIC OLD FARTS ?!?! I am highly offended by that comment actually! It is also very incorrect!
haha no offence was meant.....anyone who steps in a superkart has huge cahoonas.....the top drivers are geting younger but over the years if you look at the average age, its a fair bit older than it is now!

i agree fully though, super 1 is a waste of money for most people....always makes me laugh when some people doing super 1 say theyre doing it cos they cant afford car racing....urrr you can do ginetta jnrs for less or go race a radical super 1 is massively overpriced...well unless your the lucky 1 or 2 that will get minted about 10 years later when your in f1
Old 25 Apr 2011, 22:27 (Ref:2869784)   #102
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
adam1312 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does inspiration, desire and being competative help in getting to a high level quickly in karting and then in the rest of motorsport?
Old 25 Apr 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2869785)   #103
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
.....desire to do well and being inspired help.....but only if youve got talent in the first place.....otherwise it means diddly squat!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 22:40 (Ref:2869787)   #104
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
haha no offence was meant.....anyone who steps in a superkart has huge cahoonas.....the top drivers are geting younger but over the years if you look at the average age, its a fair bit older than it is now!

i agree fully though, super 1 is a waste of money for most people....always makes me laugh when some people doing super 1 say theyre doing it cos they cant afford car racing....urrr you can do ginetta jnrs for less or go race a radical super 1 is massively overpriced...well unless your the lucky 1 or 2 that will get minted about 10 years later when your in f1

I agree totally about S1 being a waste of money for most, although if I had a sponsor who would pay the entries, race fuel costs and travel then Id love to do it just to say Id raced at that level of karting. But you are correct, gearbox is where the respect is, where the good driving behaviour resides - I just get put off by the engines - I think its a mindset from coming from short ciruits where you have spec engines, be they Honda, WF, TKM, Rotax or whatever. If they had a gearbox on an Aixro or even something like a Biland or Ecomoto then that would be a very attractive class in my opinion.

The thing that really makes me think though is for a season of S1 I could go and race my BMW in a decent national championship, and thats just madness for what they are.

Oh and one last thought - if we didnt have the pods and nose cones I bet there would be a stack less contact - altho there would be a lot of people hobbling round with smashed ankles for a while!

Last edited by ghinzani; 25 Apr 2011 at 22:42. Reason: one final thing
Old 25 Apr 2011, 23:10 (Ref:2869798)   #105
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
.....desire to do well and being inspired help.....but only if youve got talent in the first place.....otherwise it means diddly squat!
how do you tell if you have enough talent to compete at national level because if hire karts arent a good enough representation
Old 25 Apr 2011, 23:40 (Ref:2869808)   #106
bendy
Rookie

bendy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
adam1312 - is your computer alright? Are you reading ANY of the replies? Is it generically creating these very wierd posts? Are you yourself alright?
Old 26 Apr 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2869901)   #107
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1312 View Post
how do you tell if you have enough talent to compete at national level because if hire karts arent a good enough representation
you do what ive suggested, go buy a kart and race at club level first, only then will you know how good you are!
Old 26 Apr 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2870174)   #108
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
Is driving technique for karting just...

Steer and get on the throttle like in racing cars but in the wet snap the kart into the corner
brake sharply almost lock up
use all of the track use the kerns when possible
Old 26 Apr 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2870184)   #109
ascarracinguk
Veteran

you make it sound so simple......if only it was!!! to be competative you have to be precicely on line on every corner of every lap of every race, you have to feel the kart through the corner making tiny corrections to steering and by making tiny modulations to your your brake/throttle pedal....the kart should feel like its floating underneath you, if your not on the brake, you need to be on the throttle on every corner, which takes precision and a lot of coordination. you have to be very smooth but also very aggressive at the same time!...it takes practice.

in terms of wet weather....try to do what youve just told me.....and when youve woken up in a hospital bed, tell me if it worked!!!!

wet weather driving is an art, you cant be agressive on the brake pedal or throttle but you have to almost wrench the kart into the corner to make it turn, but to do that takes practice otherwise youll end up in the weeds!

again do me a favour, go buy a kart, go practice in it and all your questions will be answered!!
Old 26 Apr 2011, 19:15 (Ref:2870192)   #110
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
WetDriving.html

Last edited by ghinzani; 26 Apr 2011 at 19:27. Reason: direct link to another forum
Old 26 Apr 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2870198)   #111
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
hah yep, good article there.....now again, do me a favour....go out and follow it to the letter on your first time in a kart...and ring me from home afterwards when youve got a broken leg!!!!

like i said in my post....it takes a lot of practice to drive in the wet....try and do that stuff without any experience and its just plain dangerous!

ive always been able to drive well in the wet, and i have NEVER jammed the brakes on in the wet, we are all different and have different driving styles, essentially youre trying to get the kart to work the tyres, i try to do this with the setup of the kart, so it requires less driving imput, the more you do to upset the balance of the kart through agressive driving, the more chance you have of putting it in the barriers!!

Last edited by ghinzani; 26 Apr 2011 at 19:36. Reason: link
Old 26 Apr 2011, 19:32 (Ref:2870202)   #112
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Something to note: If you lock the wheels on a direct-drive kart in the wet, you will have a job to get the engine fired again and end up spinning pathetically off the track.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2870210)   #113
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Something to note: If you lock the wheels on a direct-drive kart in the wet, you will have a job to get the engine fired again and end up spinning pathetically off the track.
yup, im in tkm....hense answer, although i had a clutched engine, locking them up too much can still cut the engine if the revs drop too low for too long!
Old 26 Apr 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2870256)   #114
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
do the zip young guns team pick their karting drivers or is it like a team where you pay
Old 26 Apr 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2870264)   #115
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
do the zip young guns team pick their karting drivers or is it like a team where you pay
YOUR TOO OLD FOR;

Mclearn/F1 team sponsorship
ZIP YOUNG GUNS!
Old 26 Apr 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2870266)   #116
ascarracinguk
Veteran

bit of both adam, you have to be incredibly good to be considered to be part of the team, and then incredibly loaded to pay to run in the team.....either way youve got no chance im afraid
Old 26 Apr 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2870274)   #117
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good places to start would be either Covkartsport or British Rental Kart Championships - both of which have hot topics in this forum. Feel free to ask repetitively inane questions in there too.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2871169)   #118
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
How long does it take to get a national A licence from after taking ARKS test.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 13:16 (Ref:2871171)   #119
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
How long does it take to get a national A licence from after taking ARKS test.
you need to get a national b licenece first!!!...to do that you need to take your arks test and get 5 signatures on your licence at least...so that will take a year. then to upgrade to a national a licence you need to have driven at a minimum of 3 different tracks at msa race events but you also need to get some good results ie top 3 in finals etc, so to get a national a licenece its a minimum of 18 months.....once youve done that you can go waste your money with super 1
Old 28 Apr 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2871180)   #120
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
do club races at Warden Law count because it isnt on the ARKS website?
Old 28 Apr 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2871189)   #121
ascarracinguk
Veteran

depends if they are msa sanctioned race meetings or not.....if they are you will need a national b licence to race there, if they are non msa races then you wont need an msa licence and you can have some cheep fun
Old 28 Apr 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2871191)   #122
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
It says anyone who owns a kart can race in the onset driver chmpionship without a licence so will they still count as part of the races to get to national a
Old 28 Apr 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2871193)   #123
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It says anyone who owns a kart can race in the onset driver chmpionship without a licence so will they still count as part of the races to get to national a
No, you'd need to race in MSA sanctioned races to get the signatures. My advice would be to buy a kart, enter some of these races at Warden Law and see how you get on and if you enjoy it. If you love it, and are quick, then you can look to start taking it more seriously.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2871194)   #124
ascarracinguk
Veteran

sounds like non msa racing to me so probably not, but dont let that stop you racing....like i said, go get a kart, have some fun, and see how competative you are....maybe the non msa racing will a) show you how fun karting can be, and b) how competative karting is, even at non msa racing is....maybe it will give you the kick in the backside you need to bring you back down to earth....
Old 28 Apr 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2871195)   #125
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem with the previous comment... Zip Young Guns no longer exists!

And READ PREVIOUS POSTS. You have been given the answer to all of your last 10 questions already. At least 6 finishes in club meetings from at least 3 different tracks, then apply/pay for the upgrade. 6 Months if your really on it, a year if your human.