Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 16 Jan 2003, 08:15 (Ref:475968)   #101
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan
....looking at Ayse's times at the Glen, i think he's gonna walk away with that one,
Assume absolutely nothing! (Although, in my defence, my Ferrari pb at the Glen - 1m06.009 was set in an online race about 3 weeks ago and is my fastest race lap there. But its not really that quick. I went to a race there online last night. Did a quick 1.07 and was 18th out of 19 runners! I think the first 7-8 on the grid were in the 1.05's (and that included Hondas and BRMs!) - so 1.06 really isn't all that special.

IMO, the Glen is a very different prospect as a race than Monza. Lines are more important, for example. You can get away with different lines into, say, Curva Grande or Parabolica at Monza, whereas with the Loop at the Glen, there is only really one line in (although there are several out!).

Although I agree with Tony that I expect the pole time and fastest race lap (if we're lucky) to be in the low 1.06's or better, I think it is far more important for the sake of the race for those who participate to feel confident that they can lap consistently anywhere between that and, say, 1.10, without feeling that they're likely to fall off at the Loop or Big Bend every other lap.

You also need to remember that because T1 is so close the the start, carnage ensues even more often at the start at the Glen than at Monza. This is particularly the case in pick-up races online. Unless you make a clean getaway at the front of the grid, you normally get mixed up in someone's accident.

One other thing (for the moment - while I think of it!), the lap at the Glen is the shortest on any of the 11 Papy tracks, which means that with the intermediate short standard distance being 17 laps, you happen upon back markers (and those who have problems at the start) much more quickly and you are very reliant on the goodwill of those being lapped to move out of the way. In pick-up races (where I have become certain that many drivers have tank tape over their mirrors!), such goodwill is often hard to find......

Two other things:-

1. Spud - if you have no other volunteers for a race report*, I'll do it - although I can't promise to do it a.s.a.p., and

2. Will there be a praccy server for the Glen this Sunday or some other time?

(* ®îjñtjûh - if I do a report, what name do you want me to use? This one or the one that shows on the replay?)

Last edited by Aysedasi; 16 Jan 2003 at 08:25.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 08:20 (Ref:475970)   #102
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
why do I have ferrari helmet on when using the new lotus?
I know this is a common problem, but I'm not sure of the answer. I'm certain there is a thread on RSC dealing with it - you'll have to go there and search for it. Of course, you can always design your own helmet........
Old 16 Jan 2003, 11:01 (Ref:476066)   #103
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan

but Spuddie - i think of you as my closest rival...
Bring it on!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

1. Spud - if you have no other volunteers for a race report*, I'll do it - although I can't promise to do it a.s.a.p., and

2. Will there be a praccy server for the Glen this Sunday or some other time?
If you could do the race report that would be great! I'm a bit rubbish at writing stuff like that...

And yep, there will be a praccy server on Sunday at 2pm. This time though I intend to set it up right without people jumping in to the wrong car!
Old 16 Jan 2003, 12:24 (Ref:476137)   #104
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ayse,

How do you edit your MIPS?
Old 16 Jan 2003, 12:28 (Ref:476140)   #105
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With WinMIP.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 12:33 (Ref:476142)   #106
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.horbra.de/winmip/Winmip2.htm
Old 16 Jan 2003, 12:59 (Ref:476157)   #107
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, I use WinMip to open the MIPs. I then use either Photoshop or if I need to edit text, a cheap and cheerful ULead photo program. Can't remember what its called, but its a lot simpler than Photoshop. To be honest, I haven't done any editing for a while - the last thing I did was the helmet mips.
Old 16 Jan 2003, 19:08 (Ref:476480)   #108
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Quote:

OK. Here it is.

For the standard green and yellow version of Micha's Lotus, go to:-

http://gplpp.com

Go to:-

Cars/Complete Cars/Lotus/Micha's Lotus 49

Once you click on the "Micha's Lotus 49" it is a direct download link to the zip.

I'll now go and try and find the source for the Gold Leaf add-on.
I tried to install it, but it doesn't want to know.

I followed the instructions to the letter. When I try to go into a race it says it can't load the track. If I change it back to my old Lotus it works just fine.

Any ideas?
Old 16 Jan 2003, 19:31 (Ref:476508)   #109
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Hmmm. I don't remember having any problems myself, but I'll take a look at my Lotus folder and get back to you. (By the way Spud - can you check you e-mail inbox please?).
Old 16 Jan 2003, 20:24 (Ref:476561)   #110
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Right back at ya Ayse.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 08:10 (Ref:476943)   #111
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well I haven't found the problem yet, although I have messed with the mips a little last night in order to remove the GL Lotus from the replay for the purposes of screenies for the Monza race report. I had the original green and yellow no.4 mip, so that wasn't a problem, but I couldn't seem to get rid of my personalised f04helm.mip. I remembered something about some kind of difficulty with this arising from the installation of the latest GPLEA 36v Ferrari, so I renamed the fo4helm.mip in the Ferrari folder as well. Hey presto, I was able to change the helmet mip in the Lotus - hence Spud now has an Ayrton Senna helmet! Not that this helps much with the installation of Micha's Lotus! Spud, could you do a screenprint of the contents of your Lotus folder - after the attempted installation? I can then compare the contents with mine and see if I can see what is happening?
Old 17 Jan 2003, 08:27 (Ref:476959)   #112
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Quote:

hence Spud now has an Ayrton Senna helmet!
Senna?!?!?! Senna?!?!?! What were you thinking of??

I'll have to get editing and make myself a Noige helmet.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 11:51 (Ref:477084)   #113
ASCII Man
Veteran

I think i'll make myself a Jacky Ickx or a Thierry Boutsen helmet, can't decide which one.

The Ickx one is the easiest i think, only a black helmet with Jacky Ickx on the side.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 12:58 (Ref:477177)   #114
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
Senna?!?!?! Senna?!?!?! What were you thinking of??

I'll have to get editing and make myself a Noige helmet.

Spud - seriously, that can be arranged if you'd prefer it....... I just thought you'd like the helmet of a really good driver.......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 17 Jan 2003 at 12:58.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 13:00 (Ref:477178)   #115
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
I think i'll make myself a Jacky Ickx or a Thierry Boutsen helmet, can't decide which one.

The Ickx one is the easiest i think, only a black helmet with Jacky Ickx on the side.

They've almost certainly been done already. I don't have the link to the site (Thommo's, I think) on me now (at work), but I may well find it later this lunchtime).
Old 17 Jan 2003, 23:31 (Ref:477826)   #116
ASCII Man
Veteran

Great, thanks!
Old 18 Jan 2003, 12:12 (Ref:478120)   #117
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Take a look here - can't actually find an Ickx, but you might like one of the others....

http://benchmarksims.com/thommogpl/Helmets.htm
Old 18 Jan 2003, 12:23 (Ref:478126)   #118
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Aha! Got my Noige helmet now! Cheers Ayse..

BTW how do you install it?
Old 18 Jan 2003, 12:45 (Ref:478144)   #119
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Depends which car you want it for.

The helmet mips are as follows:-

Lotus, Ferrari and Coventry are f04helm.mip
Brabham is d04helm.mip
BRM is b04helm.mip
Murasama is h04helm.mip
Eagle is plahelm.mip

Just take a backup copy of the mip you want to replace (leave it in the car folder in case you want to change back).

Rename the mip you've downloaded to the relevant one of the above and drop it into the correct car folder - and you should be away!
Old 18 Jan 2003, 12:54 (Ref:478153)   #120
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In which folder are these files kept - I can not seem to find the files on my PC?
Old 18 Jan 2003, 13:04 (Ref:478158)   #121
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Cheers Ayse. Now doesn't this look much better?

I've only got it to work for the Ferrari so far. As rd has said, that mip wasn't in my lotus folder so I just pasted the one the f04helm.mip in there which didn't make any difference.

Oh well, I'll check it out later.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 13:14 (Ref:478163)   #122
ASCII Man
Veteran

My mip files seem to have disappeared leaving only 1 DAT-file left in each car folder. :confused:
Old 18 Jan 2003, 13:17 (Ref:478164)   #123
ASCII Man
Veteran

Oh, nevermind!

Was looking in my backup folder...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 18 Jan 2003 at 13:26.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 13:36 (Ref:478172)   #124
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think it depends on what cars (if any) you've downloaded and added to the game. If you think back to your orignal instalation of GPL, each car folder only had the one car .dat file in it. The downloads change all of this.

If, for example, you downloaded the GPLEA Ferrari, to install it, you simply remove everything from your Ferrari folder with the exception of the Ferrari.dat file (and, perhaps, the Ferrari.cam file, if you have one). You will find that the files you add in from the download will add the relevant helmet mip.
Old 18 Jan 2003, 13:38 (Ref:478174)   #125
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
What you can do (I think) is to use the DooDat programme to unpack the .dat files. Doodat can be dowloaded from GPL Addons.