Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Mar 2005, 05:07 (Ref:1238652)   #101
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
That's good to have at least one fan of the movie... it was a huge flop in France.

And still one of my worst memory for a motion picture (just a question of taste, BTW, not a general point of view ; the footage is really impressive. But the story means nothing to me, when I'm a real Michel Vaillant comic books' fan on the other hand, especially the old ones - 60').

ss_collins' opinion should lead you to try it, after all we might find more fans around !

Last edited by Fab; 2 Mar 2005 at 10:24.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 05:09 (Ref:1238653)   #102
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Blimey, I didn't realised the thread was so old !
Old 1 Mar 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1238857)   #103
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
this may be the difference - I being english have never read michel valliante
Old 1 Mar 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1238883)   #104
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Were they never printed in the UK? I do know they've been translated to a lot of languages. I also remember a interview with the late Michaele Alboreto in wich he said that "his children didn't realize that their daddy was famous untill they saw him drawn in a Michel Vaillant comic".
Old 1 Mar 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1238908)   #105
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
The makers of this film could teach a lot of lessons to people who think speed tribe is the be all and end all of film making. Don't expect a documentary on Le Mans - that ain't what it is - its a comic book tale thats very well done.
Objection, your Honour.
This thing has nothing to do, in fact, in substance, or in spirit, NOTHING to do with the MV comic books. It introduces characters that simply don't exist in the books; it portraits the existing characters wrongly; and unlike the books, it is ludicrously inaccurate when it comes to depicting racing itself. I have no explanation as to how Graton could have sanctioned this mess of a storyboard for a movie based on his life's work; maybe he needed the money. At least that would be an excuse.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1239013)   #106
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
The makers of this film could teach a lot of lessons to people who think speed tribe is the be all and end all of film making. Don't expect a documentary on Le Mans - that ain't what it is - its a comic book tale thats very well done..
i've not seen the valliant film, but in defence of the speed tribe makers they were obviously working with a far more limited budget(no choreographed crowds for them!), in what were pretty horrendous weather conditions. as a junior photographer i appreciate what they did, because theres lots of ideas for pictures contained in it...in fact thats more what its like, a series of photo journalistic moving snapshots of le mans.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1239025)   #107
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The depictions of racing are very good. Perhaps the characters etc are wrong but to non valliant reader its very very good.

bear in mind many comic book heroes are altered when they hit the big screen a la judge dredd (one I used to read). That became a reasonable film that I hated because it wasn't true to the comics. But looking back I realise as a film it was ok. MV is a Good film though perhaps not if you have preconceptions
Old 2 Mar 2005, 09:20 (Ref:1239802)   #108
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that since I haven't read the MV books I'm tempted to get a copy of the film. My limit in French Bande Dessinees is "Kid Paddle".

FG
Old 2 Mar 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1239896)   #109
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG1
I have to say that...I haven't read the MV books
The very first issues of Michel Vaillant (late 50' and all the 60') are unmissable : just ask at your next visit !
Old 2 Mar 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1239915)   #110
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Now how about speed racer - I wanna play Racer X!!
Old 17 Mar 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1254051)   #111
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watched this film for the first time last night. I bought the same double disc set as SS_C seems to have (from amazon.fr). I've never read any of the MV books, so am unfamiliar with any of the characters.

I have to say that I enjoyed it. Of course it was all nonsense, but I'm the sort of saddo that enjoys spotting inaccuracies and things like that. The 'making of' bonus film was a bit harder to understand with my schoolboy french skills, but also interesting to watch.

As mentioned way back in this thread, does anyone know what the Valliante GT cars were based on?

The only thing I could think of is a Superformance GT.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1254067)   #112
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Humpage

As mentioned way back in this thread, does anyone know what the Valliante GT cars were based on?

The only thing I could think of is a Superformance GT.
The real Vaillante GT who already raced were based on Peugeot bases

http://www.mcarsweb.com/vaillante/granddefi.htm

The "WRC Vaillante" in the opening scenes of the movie are modified Peugeot 206s

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 17 Mar 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1254173)   #113
Jeffrey-Lee
Racer

Jeffrey-Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Golf IV headlights and Porsche mirrors
Old 17 Mar 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1254179)   #114
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jeff, you spotter.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1256908)   #115
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will get the DVD tomorrow and check it out, cannot wait to compare it with the old MV "bande desinnees"....Steve Warson and Bob Cramer in film must be something!
Old 23 Mar 2005, 06:40 (Ref:1259488)   #116
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Humpage
Jeff, you spotter.
That is indeed a bit Anorack-ish
Old 24 Mar 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1260912)   #117
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know where I can pick up a region 1 DVD with english subtitles?
Old 24 Mar 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1260929)   #118
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
I don't think you can.

There doesn't even seem to be English subtitles on the euro edition.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1260934)   #119
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a copy on EBAY that is region 2 and says it has english and thai subtitles.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1261436)   #120
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
will get the DVD tomorrow and check it out, cannot wait to compare it with the old MV "bande desinnees"....Steve Warson and Bob Cramer in film must be something!

I thought it was OK, the story was really predictable and shallow but the racing scenes were OK (except of course for that crash and bang Lola vs Panoz dream scene...). Worth the 5 Euros in eBay ...
Old 26 Mar 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1262153)   #121
FG1
Veteran

Bought a copy yesterday! Too many kids around to watch it, will try today!

FG
Old 26 Mar 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1262244)   #122
FG1
Veteran

Silly

Well, I have to say it's one of the silliest films I've every seen, but quite enjoyable nonetheless. It is done as a comic book. There are references (perhaps un-intentional?) to "Ice Age" and "The Blues Brothers" which made me laugh, and the bit where two drivers jump out of a helicopter onto the roof of an artic which has been driver into the middle of a lake.... hmm as I said comic book stuff.

It's not a serious attempt to potray Le Mans, but then that has been made clear by earlier posts. If you want a laugh with some good cinematography of sports cars it's worth a look.

FG
Old 30 Mar 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1265236)   #123
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Objection, your Honour.
This thing has nothing to do, in fact, in substance, or in spirit, NOTHING to do with the MV comic books. It introduces characters that simply don't exist in the books; it portraits the existing characters wrongly; and unlike the books, it is ludicrously inaccurate when it comes to depicting racing itself. I have no explanation as to how Graton could have sanctioned this mess of a storyboard for a movie based on his life's work; maybe he needed the money. At least that would be an excuse.
I felt that way about that dreadful "Biggles" movie -- but it did get me to read the books after I got half of Australia to rummage their attics to find them! I also made a good friend through a Biggles club that I joined after that. But that movie was really terrible and I think I have one of the two VHS copies they sold in North America.

I'm going to see the MV if I can find it at Le Mans to buy.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1265262)   #124
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FG1
Well, I have to say it's one of the silliest films I've every seen, but quite enjoyable nonetheless. It is done as a comic book.
Then why didn't they do it as a Michel Vaillant comic book? M is a comic book already, why dumb it down even further? - Oh well, can't be helped.
Old 17 May 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1303067)   #125
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
They showed the movie on telly yesterday. I recorded it.

I'm sorry to say that I found it almost more appaling than the time I saw it at the cinema...

In french, we've got a name for that kind of movie : a turnip.

And it's a real insult to the Le Mans race.

All those comments are "IMHO", of course. No offense for the movie maker, and for those who appreciated it.