Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Jul 2023, 20:25 (Ref:4170697)   #101
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I suggest that if you think that it's so easy the you should raise the finance and have a go yourself and show them all how it should be done. I look forward to the day when I can see your demonstration of the art of racing.
I don't agree at all with our grammatically-challenged friend but this is the ridiculous ad hominin fallacy arguement.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 20:26 (Ref:4170698)   #102
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
so you didn't enjoy scenes like this ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRgL9PzHYk8
No, because it's not Touring Car racing, but punting each other off.

Fortunately, a style of driving that BTCC has moved on from.

If that is the style of driving you want to see, then the BTCC is not the place...
Old 30 Jul 2023, 20:31 (Ref:4170699)   #103
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
No, because it's not Touring Car racing, but punting each other off.
that's just your opinion , BTCC even in the early 90s was nearly like this and a big reason why crowed loved it in the 90s

Quote:
Fortunately, a style of driving that BTCC has moved on from.

If that is the style of driving you want to see, then the BTCC is not the place...
would really love to know viewing figures and spectators cos you know if fans go to something else they will hardly come back and guess what, fewer audience > sponsors lose interest and > teams leave > championship goes down the toilet
Old 30 Jul 2023, 20:37 (Ref:4170700)   #104
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

No because that is just punting off (crashing) another driver to pass rather than using skill.
Also, there are two other drivers put at risk if anything had gone wrong with either incident, plus the marshals and the photographers just behind the armco where Neal was forced off at Murrays. Tell me that's completely safe and what you want to see at a race track, because it certainly isn't in my eyes.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 20:41 (Ref:4170701)   #105
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Tell me that's completely safe and what you want to see at a race track, because it certainly isn't in my eyes.
if you want ultra safe they shoiuld drop racing alltogether and just to time attacks
Old 30 Jul 2023, 20:54 (Ref:4170702)   #106
porsche962fan
Veteran

another great scene from the past, all cars involved got away with it , could bet a fortune that with NGTC it would not be possible and drivers would be showered with DQ and post race penalties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuavtUmnD0w
Old 30 Jul 2023, 20:58 (Ref:4170703)   #107
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

As much as Neal vs Plato is glorified these days (and not going to lie, I understand why), many of their maneouvres were simply horrid, poor driving standards, having nothing to do with proper, professional motorsport. It's just punting each other deliberately off the track. If you want to see drivers punting others all the time, I'd suggest watching (or participating in) bumper cars, for example. Lots of show. But racing is not about pushing others off.
Touring cars should be aggressive, have contact, and 'rubbing is racing' mentality but there are boundaries. The video you've just sent may be a classic piece of BTCC but at the same time it's just two blokes pushing off each other like amateurs.

I'd rather watch this sort of battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG7i...nnel=philip82c
Old 30 Jul 2023, 21:07 (Ref:4170706)   #108
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I'd rather watch this sort of battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG7i...nnel=philip82c
not something like this ? agressive but still fair mostly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Trr4RlHKMM
Old 30 Jul 2023, 21:56 (Ref:4170711)   #109
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
not something like this ? agressive but still fair mostly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Trr4RlHKMM
Well, I'm never against aggressive racing - that's what touring cars should be about and, let's be honest, even dramas of the Neal vs Plato sort add some excitement and emotions - something sport should be all about. But at the same time such drama cannot define a championship. If the BTCC drivers knew they could just push their rivals off the track just to make up a position, it'd make the whole championship look a bit silly. Think that some time ago BTCC had a reputation of a demolition derby and I'm not sure if it's ok. When I see some low-tier drivers pushing each other it's not exciting, it's just bad driving standards.

Part of what's been happening recently in the BTCC, and what I saw in today's Race 1 (rest I haven't watched yet) is that the driving standards are simply better, cars are very closely matched with not a lot of artificial variables (well, tyres sometimes are a bit too 'varied' but in R1 it was not that apparent) and this makes racing less 'eventful' at times. How to spice things up is another thing but I wouldn't like to go back to performance weights or drivers simply punting others to gain a position. If Sutton is so good and Motorbase have done a great job prepping the car, fair play to them. It's others task to try and catch up.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 22:07 (Ref:4170712)   #110
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I’ve long thought that the racing with NGTC is more dull than previous rulesets but I’ve often struggled to figure out why.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 22:16 (Ref:4170713)   #111
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I’ve long thought that the racing with NGTC is more dull than previous rulesets but I’ve often struggled to figure out why.
There might be something about it, these cars seem less 'all over the place' than S2000, Super Touring etc. Whatever the reason for that.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 22:53 (Ref:4170716)   #112
coffinpilot
Veteran

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I got from the paddock after speaking to some media people was that HARD asked Hamilton (and the other drivers) for more money and Hamilton baulked at the idea. )Proctor senior was around HARD quite a bit as well today.)
Also on HARD, apparently the water in the DeLeon car was a mix up with a petrol container filled with water used to weigh the awning down had been untied and was accidentally used. Not sure how you could notice the difference in smell though.
Old 31 Jul 2023, 03:46 (Ref:4170728)   #113
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understant the the sum involved was c£50,000 over the contractually agreed figure.
I also understand that Hamilton's car had no preperation work done during the break since the last meeting and would not have been in a fit, or indeed safe, state to drive on Saturday.
The other teams in the series would have done a full rebuild of the cars before setting off for Croft.
While all teams have some staff changes over a season, it's not a good sign when a team appears to have a massive staff turnover every meeting!
Old 31 Jul 2023, 04:54 (Ref:4170730)   #114
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Also on HARD, apparently the water in the DeLeon car was a mix up with a petrol container filled with water used to weigh the awning down had been untied and was accidentally used. Not sure how you could notice the difference in smell though.
Very common error! Those used as weights need to be very clearly marked.
Old 31 Jul 2023, 06:13 (Ref:4170732)   #115
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another great scene from the past, all involved got away without penalties. You could bet a fortune that with NGTC it would not be possible and drivers would be showered with DQ and post race penalties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frE9rXnaHpE
Old 31 Jul 2023, 06:31 (Ref:4170736)   #116
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDoubtfire View Post
Croft is interesting because the Finish Line speed trap times show purely how well the cars accelerate out of the slow speed chicane - one of the best indicators to date of relative power (and weight).

I must have missed that chicane somehow , despite being at Croft many days every year. Maybe they replaced the hairpin with a CGI chicane on the TV ? The real chicane is very fast and follows Clervaux and Hawthorn .
Old 31 Jul 2023, 06:49 (Ref:4170740)   #117
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
I've just been looking at the qualifying speeds at Croft between 2022 and 2023.

The FWD cars are pretty similar - maybe slightly down over Intermediate 1 but Intermediate 2 and the Start/ Finish line are within 0.1mph for the fastest. The slowest is about 5mph up on last year over intermediates 1 and 2 and 0.5mph over the start finish line.

The BMW is 3.3mph slower over Intermediate 1, 0.6mph slower over Intermediate 2 and 1.3mph slower over the start finish line, even if you allow for the tighter track limits it looks like BMW has lost something compared to last year.

Despite Tim Harvey's conviction about Croft being a good RWD track - there has only been 1 BMW win (2020) and 1 Infiniti (2021) victory at Croft over the last 10 races there.
I’m not aware of any extra RWD penalising measures beyond those already known. However their lack of Croft pace is odd. Going back years they would get a great leap out of that hairpin and could be almost alongside a car going into T1.

I still stand by that they should have reviewed those anti-RWD measures this season. All those performance degrading measures when introduced would have surely been done to bring them in line (or just behind?) the leading FWD cars. Now that the leading FWD cars are pretty far ahead, logic would suggest that this should be reviewed.
Old 31 Jul 2023, 07:04 (Ref:4170741)   #118
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I’m not aware of any extra RWD penalising measures beyond those already known. However their lack of Croft pace is odd. Going back years they would get a great leap out of that hairpin and could be almost alongside a car going into T1.

I still stand by that they should have reviewed those anti-RWD measures this season. All those performance degrading measures when introduced would have surely been done to bring them in line (or just behind?) the leading FWD cars. Now that the leading FWD cars are pretty far ahead, logic would suggest that this should be reviewed.
The problem is your belief that the FWD cars are "pretty far ahead", when there's nothing to support that fallacy.

Of the five drivers who can realistically win the championship now, two are RWD and three are FWD. That's as equal as you can get dividing 5 by 2.

And four of the last six races have been won by RWD cars.
Old 31 Jul 2023, 07:19 (Ref:4170743)   #119
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
I also understand that Hamilton's car had no preperation work done during the break since the last meeting and would not have been in a fit, or indeed safe, state to drive on Saturday.
The car had a new livery for it's appearance at Goodwood FoS, isn't that enough prep?
Old 31 Jul 2023, 07:19 (Ref:4170744)   #120
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
another great scene from the past, all cars involved got away with it , could bet a fortune that with NGTC it would not be possible and drivers would be showered with DQ and post race penalties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuavtUmnD0w
OK, so from that video all we need to do then is make the cars much narrower, shorter & taller than we have now and things will be better!
Old 31 Jul 2023, 09:17 (Ref:4170761)   #121
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
While all teams have some staff changes over a season, it's not a good sign when a team appears to have a massive staff turnover every meeting!
If true this backs up what Paffett Jr was saying at end of last season when he said he had a different engineer every race weekend

Bit of a mess Team Hard at moment
Old 31 Jul 2023, 09:24 (Ref:4170762)   #122
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcas87 View Post
If true this backs up what Paffett Jr was saying at end of last season when he said he had a different engineer every race weekend

From memory Lloyd has been through three so far from what he's said on his YouTube videos.
Old 31 Jul 2023, 09:44 (Ref:4170766)   #123
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcas87 View Post
"at the moment"? I though "bit of a mess" was pretty standard for HARD? It's clearly an operation that runs very much on a shoestring compared with some of the other teams and every component is maxed out in terms of life where possible - hence their reliability issues. I guess with inflation being as high as it is the team is burning through their budget faster than expected and they've got no contingency money.

Regarding the Croft RWD 'advantage' I'm sure I remember something about the track being resurfaced and the new tarmac negating some of the RWD advantage?
Old 31 Jul 2023, 09:49 (Ref:4170770)   #124
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
"at the moment"? I though "bit of a mess" was pretty standard for HARD? It's clearly an operation that runs very much on a shoestring compared with some of the other teams and every component is maxed out in terms of life where possible - hence their reliability issues. I guess with inflation being as high as it is the team is burning through their budget faster than expected and they've got no contingency money.
Yeah I agree, also don’t understand why they are trying to run 6 cars on a shoestring and ok probably didn’t cost much but wasting money on having a one of livery at goodwood
Old 31 Jul 2023, 09:57 (Ref:4170772)   #125
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I understant the the sum involved was c£50,000 over the contractually agreed figure.
The other teams in the series would have done a full rebuild of the cars before setting off for Croft.
So… presumably he’s not coming back?