Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Are the current tyre rules acceptable or unacceptable in terms of safety?
Acceptable 63 65.63%
Unacceptable 33 34.38%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 May 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1314993)   #101
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
You can't on one hand blame the FIA for hypothetical injuires while at the same time saying they shouldn't try to slow cars down!
they have had the chance to slow the cars down in the last 50 years. why do it now. they could do different things other than make teams run only one set of tyres. by having the new regulations the FIA are puting drivers and others at risk. Imagine a driver had to brake suddenly for some reason like a marshall on the track or something. the car would skid or lose control because of tyre wear.
Old 30 May 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1314997)   #102
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Who is to have known that Bridgestone would be so far behind Michelin at the start of the season.The FIA,no,anyone else,no.No one could have foreseen this situation,indeed Ferrari welcomed it at a time when all the other teams were crying out for a control tyre.So how anyone can say that the new tyre rule is against Ferrari is beyond me.
its not only the tyre rules they have changed. what about points systems, engines etc etc. all this was done to stop MS from winning by so much. if the FIA would have waited a couple years then MS would have retired from F1 and there would have been no need to change the rules!
Old 30 May 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1314999)   #103
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1
they have had the chance to slow the cars down in the last 50 years. why do it now.
Beau if you look back at the history of F1, you will find that 'they' have tried to slow the cars on several occasions in the period you mention, starting with 1961, when the 1.5 litre cars replaced the 2.5 litre cars.
Old 30 May 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1315007)   #104
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Imagine a driver had to brake suddenly for some reason like a marshall on the track or something. the car would skid or lose control because of tyre wear.

I don't think that suggestion really warrants an answer.
Old 30 May 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1315009)   #105
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Beau if you look back at the history of F1, you will find that 'they' have tried to slow the cars on several occasions in the period you mention, starting with 1961, when the 1.5 litre cars replaced the 2.5 litre cars.
ok fair enough but the cars/ teams are always going to find back the time in a couple of years they have lost by the FIA changeing the rules.
Old 30 May 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1315010)   #106
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
In 1999 the FIA thought the same. But the drivers didn't take many risks, because the cars felt very nervous.
Perhaps if they had given the cars a sedative they would have performed better.

All racing drivers would prefer it if their car cornered as if on rails,stopped on a sixpence,and had 100 horsepower more than everyone else.If all the cars were "nervous" it would be the same for everyone.

What do you want to see,cars behaving as if they were on a Scalextric track?

At least now we can say that the drivers are actually having difficulty slowing down for corners.
Old 30 May 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1315012)   #107
20,000rpm
Rookie

20,000rpm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought the purpose of the one tyre rule was to slow cars down, which it has done. The idea behind that must be to improve safety (debateable as to whether such a marginal decrease in cornering speed would have this affect) and increase the opportunity for overtaking (as we have clearly seen this year).

The misgiving to me is that they are leaving such a decision (whether to pit) up to the driver... well, being pumped full of adrenalin and chasing a crucial result in his quest to achieve a lifetime dream, any driver is gonna take that risk.

However, it doesnt just affect him if the car hits another car, or debris hits people.
Old 30 May 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1315019)   #108
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20,000rpm
I always thought the purpose of the one tyre rule was to slow cars down, which it has done. The idea behind that must be to improve safety (debateable as to whether such a marginal decrease in cornering speed would have this affect) and increase the opportunity for overtaking (as we have clearly seen this year).

The misgiving to me is that they are leaving such a decision (whether to pit) up to the driver... well, being pumped full of adrenalin and chasing a crucial result in his quest to achieve a lifetime dream, any driver is gonna take that risk.

However, it doesnt just affect him if the car hits another car, or debris hits people.
If the regulations had been left as last years (which some of us would have liked) i dread to think how fast the cars would have been.Some say maybe up to 4 seconds a lap faster!

Surely, potentially even more dangerous than the current regs IMO.

Each race would have been a succession of sprint races run on even stickier tyres attatched to even stickier cars....Terrible.The best car/tyre would always win,nothing to do with the driver at all.
Old 30 May 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1315021)   #109
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
ok fair enough but the cars/ teams are always going to find back the time in a couple of years they have lost by the FIA changeing the rules.
True, so surely all the more reason to try and control these advances, as Martyn points out above.
Old 30 May 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1315022)   #110
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
in which way do the FIA want to slow the cars down overall speed or lap times? overall speed i hope.
Old 30 May 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1315023)   #111
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Perhaps if they had given the cars a sedative they would have performed better.

All racing drivers would prefer it if their car cornered as if on rails,stopped on a sixpence,and had 100 horsepower more than everyone else.If all the cars were "nervous" it would be the same for everyone.

What do you want to see,cars behaving as if they were on a Scalextric track?

At least now we can say that the drivers are actually having difficulty slowing down for corners.
I would like to see the return of tyre changes and soft, broad slicks. This would make the cars less dependent on the aerodynamics. I would like to see a ban on driving aids, the return of turbo charged engines and a ban refuelling during the race. This is a sensible way to make the cars more difficult to handle.
Old 30 May 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1315036)   #112
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
I would like to see the return of tyre changes and soft, broad slicks. This would make the cars less dependent on the aerodynamics. I would like to see a ban on driving aids, the return of turbo charged engines and a ban refuelling during the race. This is a sensible way to make the cars more difficult to handle.
I too would like to see a refuelling ban,as the potential for disaster in the pitlane must surely outweigh that out on track.

Only a huge reduction in aerodynamics would have the desired effect,but coupled with fat sticky tyres it would be worth watching.However,since most of the teams have spent millions on wind tunnels i can't see it happening.
Old 30 May 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1315084)   #113
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
the problem is that F1 has to be the fasted of all because it is at the top of the motorsport ladder. so it can not go much less slower.
Old 30 May 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1315089)   #114
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well for whatever it is worth I have just been watching " Wind Tunnel" on the Speed Channel with Dave Dispain and co-host this week David Hobbs. David Hobbs when asked about current tyre rules in F1 thinks that they are silly, do not save any money, and are potentially dangerous. Steve Machchet former Renault mechanic feels the same way.
Old 30 May 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1315110)   #115
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Renault boss Dennis Chevrier has said the new rules are enhancing F1.

See autosport-atlas.com
Old 30 May 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1315142)   #116
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Only a huge reduction in aerodynamics would have the desired effect,but coupled with fat sticky tyres it would be worth watching.
In case the desired affect is "to make the cars less dependent on the aerodynamics", I agree. A "hugh reduction in aerodynamics" would very probably result in cars thae are "less dependent on the aerodynamics".

However, if the desired effect would be to limit the danger, a hugh reduction in aerodynamics is a strange way to accomplish this.
A hugh reduction in aerodynamics would make it much more dangerous to drive the cars with the same speed. So the teams would probably take precautions to reduce the speed, in order to end up with a level of danger that is comparable to the current one.
As the resulting level of danger cannot be *exactly* equal, there is evidently a 50% chance that we will end up in a situation with less danger.
(Of course, there is also 50% chance that we will end up in a situation with more danger.)
Old 30 May 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1315146)   #117
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Imagine if the rules were still the same as in 1988 (the last year of the tubos). How fast and dangerous would the cars be then? Probably lapping most circuits in less than a minute. Not only that, but it would be so expensive and so many teams would've pulled out or folded that we'd probably be down to 5 four-car teams. There is a need to control speeds, and if a set of rules can prevent the cars being faster than they were last year, they've done the job.

It's ironic that Steve Matchett regards the one-tyre rules as dangerous. He was invovled in a dangeorus incident caused purely by tyre changing back in 1995.
Old 30 May 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1315157)   #118
Don K
Veteran

Quote:
the problem is that F1 has to be the fasted of all because it is at the top of the motorsport ladder.
Why?

F1 is not the fastest of all.

Never has been.
Never will be.
In fact, the average speed on a fastest lap in F1 is still much lower than the highest speed ever achieved on a bicycle (268.831 km/h).

F1 is about much more than pure speed.
It would be stupid to throw all that away, just trying to become "the fastest".
Old 30 May 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1315162)   #119
Don K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Imagine if the rules were still the same as in 1988 (the last year of the tubos). How fast and dangerous would the cars be then? Probably lapping most circuits in less than a minute. Not only that, but it would be so expensive and so many teams would've pulled out or folded that we'd probably be down to 5 four-car teams. There is a need to control speeds, and if a set of rules can prevent the cars being faster than they were last year, they've done the job.
If they want rules to control *speed*, they should simply introduce rules that will control *speed*.

As far as I know, they want rules to control *danger*.
Then they announce a set of rules "that will control the speed which means less danger".
And most of the time, they end up introducing some set of rules which changes something, hoping that it will result in lower speeds "and therefore less danger".

If they want rules that will result in less danger, they should simply introduce rules that will control *danger*.
Old 30 May 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1315185)   #120
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Life is dangerous and then you die.
Old 31 May 2005, 01:00 (Ref:1315252)   #121
zeus_m3
Rookie

China
Vanvouver, Canada
zeus_m3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K
Why?

Never has been.
Never will be.
In fact, the average speed on a fastest lap in F1 is still much lower than the highest speed ever achieved on a bicycle (268.831 km/h).

F1 is about much more than pure speed.
It would be stupid to throw all that away, just trying to become "the fastest".

Are the speeds recorded on the same track? On Suzuka's fastest lap, 2003.

Moto GP: 2'04.970, Valentino Rossi,
F1: 1'33.408, Ralf Schumacher.

I think the only track that F1 and Moto GP share this year is Shanghai, so we will wait and see how F1's lap time compare to Moto GP's 1'59.71.
Old 31 May 2005, 01:12 (Ref:1315254)   #122
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K
Why?

Never has been.
Never will be.
Do you mean motorcycle? Otherwise tell us more!!! Lance Armstrong pedalling down a 80degree incline?
Old 31 May 2005, 01:17 (Ref:1315258)   #123
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Why bother to race?

Yeah!! why not!! Let's make this the Mobil Tyre Economy Run

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 31 May 2005 at 01:18. Reason: I just wanted to make the post a little more interesting with a title
Old 31 May 2005, 01:35 (Ref:1315268)   #124
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I still don't understand how a rule can be dangerous...

Rule - 1 set of tyres per race
Implementation 0- Make tyres tat will last 1 complete race.

It is the Implementation of the rule that can become dangerous.

If they thought it was dangerous, they should have (and could have) brought him in to change it (no real change there from last year).
They didn't.
They caused the danger, not the rules, as the rules allow for a tyre change in a situation such as this (don't they ?).

DKGandBH
Old 31 May 2005, 02:13 (Ref:1315276)   #125
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKGandBH
I still don't understand how a rule can be dangerous...

Rule - 1 set of tyres per race
Implementation 0- Make tyres tat will last 1 complete race.

It is the Implementation of the rule that can become dangerous.

If they thought it was dangerous, they should have (and could have) brought him in to change it (no real change there from last year).
They didn't.
They caused the danger, not the rules, as the rules allow for a tyre change in a situation such as this (don't they ?).

DKGandBH
This leads me to ask:"At what stage did McLaren believe that the could bring Kimi in for a tyre change without penalty?"

We must realise that the tyre was not cut, nor delaminated (iitially) nor excessively worn out. I would also ask whether there are any specific guidelines when a car can be brought in for a tyre change without any penalty.