Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Sep 2011, 16:17 (Ref:2962210)   #1376
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Something puzzling about that car. The write up suggests it could be 001 or 002. Yet the pics clearly show the plate stamped with 001. The pics also avoid any view of the rear floor and the anti tramp tie bar system.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 17:00 (Ref:2962221)   #1377
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Something puzzling about that car. The write up suggests it could be 001 or 002. Yet the pics clearly show the plate stamped with 001. The pics also avoid any view of the rear floor and the anti tramp tie bar system.
Ken's kindly confirmed to us that he now owns 002 and will be restoring to Hepolite livery..
Old 28 Sep 2011, 17:21 (Ref:2962226)   #1378
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I know that, but the write up doesn't seem to acknowledge the chassis plate. Which in turn suggests there may be another reason. Incidently I saw 002 the other day and of course 020 ran at Spa over the weekend.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2962264)   #1379
ken clarke
Racer

ken clarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, I know that, but the write up doesn't seem to acknowledge the chassis plate. Which in turn suggests there may be another reason. Incidently I saw 002 the other day and of course 020 ran at Spa over the weekend.
The car in the auction is 001 although it has 2 differing chassis plates on it. 001 above the o/s headlamp, this is the TWR chassis plate & 002 on an Austin Rover chassis plate inside the door.

I informed both the vendor & the auction house that the car was 001 & I owned 002, neither of them acknowled my email & the description of the car remained unchanged. Maybe the confusion over the chassis number put of some potential buyers.

Incidentally Peter Berts car is chassis 019 not 020.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2962290)   #1380
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Cool, I didn't realise the angle of your post.

How did 019 get on in its event?
Old 29 Sep 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2962452)   #1381
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Cool, I didn't realise the angle of your post.

How did 019 get on in its event?
Oops, I meant 019. It went very well.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2962483)   #1382
basmsport
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
basmsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa

We didn't do so good as in the previous races where we had 2 podiums in 4 races.
I qualified 4th for the 1st race and was lying 6th O/all and 1st in class when a wheel nut came loose.
In the 2nd race the Throttle potentiometer started playing up with the engine cutting out in the corners.
Old 7 Oct 2011, 07:59 (Ref:2966986)   #1383
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks for the note Bert, any chance you'll run it over here sometimes next season?
Old 7 Oct 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2967247)   #1385
ken clarke
Racer

Just put some pictures on Flickr of TWR 002 if anyone is interested.
Old 7 Oct 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2967285)   #1386
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Looking at French Supertourisme results earlier, which raises a question.

At the Paul Ricard round in April, Rene Metge finished 5th, but there was a second Rover, which finished 9th, driven by Jean-Pierre Gabreau
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...%20Ricard.html

Now according to this post from much earlier in the thread, Gabreau's car was the ex-Metge 1982 championship winner:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Rover Sport View Post
I guess the ebay car could also be the one raced by privateer Jean-Pierre Gabreau during the 1983 season. He acquired René Metge's 1982 French Production Car Championship winning Marlboro / Castrol sponsored car.
What's interesting is that looking at the season's results, Gabreau doesn't seem to have used it very much, or kept it for long- as far as I can see, the next time he shows up in the results is when Supertourisme takes a trip to Hockenheim in August, to support the German GP- but he's now driving a BMW 528i, as he does in the season-closer at Montlhery...

Now, we've talked about Rovers in Portugal quite a bit earlier in the thread, and IIRC two cars arrived there in 1983, both of French origin- one becoming the red 'Traffic' car of Pedro Meireles, the other being raced by Jose Peres, still basically in French Marlboro colours.
http://scgtclassic.com.sapo.pt/Cabanelas1.jpg
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5863/peres83yx5.jpg

So did Gabreau sell his car on to Portugal? Both Portuguese Rovers were apparently being raced there by July, suggesting that if one of them was Gabreau's car, he moved it on pretty quickly...
Old 7 Oct 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2967286)   #1387
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken clarke View Post
Just put some pictures on Flickr of TWR 002 if anyone is interested.
That's brilliant Ken- interesting to see some of the detail of the car, and the Hepolite colours reappearing where you've started to strip the Bastos red/white...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16445181@N08/
Old 7 Oct 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2967290)   #1388
ken clarke
Racer

I thought I had put them in order but they appear a little haphazard. I hate computers!!!
Old 7 Oct 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2967348)   #1389
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Crikey, that's amazing... seeing that yellow hue underneath the Bastos livery...

Ken it how did it feel to see that original colour appear before your very eyes?

You can't have seen that since it was last in its original spec, what, nearly 30years or so?

Have you sent the pics to Steve Soper yet?
Old 7 Oct 2011, 21:52 (Ref:2967357)   #1390
ken clarke
Racer

Quote:
Crikey, that's amazing... seeing that yellow hue underneath the Bastos livery...

Ken it how did it feel to see that original colour appear before your very eyes?

You can't have seen that since it was last in its original spec, what, nearly 30years or so?

Have you sent the pics to Steve Soper yet?
No, I have not seen it since 1984/5, 26 years.

Steve knows I have it, an ex colleague at TWR saw him at the Goodwood FOS & told him. I would like to get it rebuilt over the next couple of years & put him in it at Goodwood.

Maybe???
Old 8 Oct 2011, 13:45 (Ref:2967574)   #1391
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
No, I have not seen it since 1984/5, 26 years.

Steve knows I have it, an ex colleague at TWR saw him at the Goodwood FOS & told him. I would like to get it rebuilt over the next couple of years & put him in it at Goodwood.

Maybe???
Great stuff, or even better, get him out in the car in some classic racing??!!

I'm sure he's got enough money to fix anything if he breaks it!
Old 8 Oct 2011, 14:06 (Ref:2967578)   #1392
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ken, IIRC it ran the earlier front spolier in 1983, will you be returning it to that spec?
Old 8 Oct 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2967662)   #1393
ken clarke
Racer

Quote:
Ken, IIRC it ran the earlier front spolier in 1983, will you be returning it to that spec?
Yes Pete it will have the earlier spoiler.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 18:52 (Ref:2967664)   #1394
ken clarke
Racer

Quote:
Great stuff, or even better, get him out in the car in some classic racing??!!

I'm sure he's got enough money to fix anything if he breaks it!
I believe he cannot race any more due to a neck injury sustained during his time with the Peugeot touring car team.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2967675)   #1395
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I believe he cannot race any more due to a neck injury sustained during his time with the Peugeot touring car team.
Sadly I believe this to be true...
Old 8 Oct 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2967723)   #1396
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Sadly I believe this to be true...
I didn't realise he had been injured to that extent, that's a shame as it would be lovely to see Steve out in anger in his first Rover, a car I remember reading about a profile of Steve, where he discussed how he absolutely loved the car and revelled in it when he stepped up from the Metro.

Last edited by chunterer; 17 Jan 2012 at 14:30.
Old 9 Oct 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2968289)   #1397
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I didn't realise he had been injured to that extent, that's a shame as it would be lovely to see Steve out in anger in his first Rover, a car I remember reading an interview of profile where he discussed how he absolutely loved the car and revelled in it when he stepped up from the Metro.
When you consider Steve's background before hitting 'The Big Time' with the Rovers (and then beyond with WTCC RS500 & BMW team), it says a lot for the talent in British Club racing.
I remember him in the Radbourne Racing Fiat X1/9, plus various Mini's and Metros (didn't he win the Mini 1275GT Championship one year?) over the years, but his talent enabled him to achieve the dream of all club racers and become a very successful professional driver. Somed of his drives as Tim Harvey's team mate in the Vic Lee BMW 318 BTCC cars were incredible... (Sorry, but I've maybe veered off toipic a little here...)
Old 16 Oct 2011, 11:04 (Ref:2971861)   #1398
KA
Veteran

From Jesper's 1987 Japanese Touring Car thread, a couple of JTCC clips on YouTube, showing the car that went to Japan at the end of '86

Clearly visible around 3:40 on this one, again making a pitstop at 4:38, having a scrap with a 635 at 5:31, then finally another stop at 6:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXAVd...eature=related

...and on this one, a look around the car in the paddock, and an interview with the drivers, from 1:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL29Q...eature=related
Attached Thumbnails
Japan TCC Rnd 1 1987 Rover.jpg  

Last edited by KA; 16 Oct 2011 at 11:11.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2971897)   #1399
ken clarke
Racer

Looks very much like chassis number 007.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2971909)   #1400
KA
Veteran

Thanks Ken- 007 originally the Gitanes car IIRC?
Do you remember what colours it went to Japan in? As I remember it debuted at the Fuji race in late 86, with Jeff Allam and a Japanese driver.

I've got a vague memory of a black & white photo in Autosport showing it in what looked like Bastos livery, but with 'ARJ' logos and local sponsorship replacing 'Bastos'.

Tags
allan dippie, arg, armin hahne, btcc, eddy joosen, etcc, group 1, group a, jean-louis schlesser, jeff allam, john davenport, ken clarke, neville crichton, peter lovett, ron dickson, rover 3500, rover sd1, rover vitesse, steve soper, tom walkinshaw, tony pond, twr, win percy