Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Aug 2015, 21:43 (Ref:3567038)   #1451
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
whatever, point is that a GTE car is not as far away from a Nascar as Bullman claims. The production origin not being the dominant factor in the comparison here but more the policy, regs and rules set by the series.

Anyway, in more interesting news: http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/12042...aytona-program

Old 19 Aug 2015, 21:45 (Ref:3567040)   #1452
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
If I look at a GTE Corvette, it looks like a Corvette. The doors open. It has working lights. Sure, it's highly modified, but it still starts out as a Corvette. There is a difference between building a car to regulations and having every car designed the same way. Saying a GTE car is like a NASCAR tube-frame silouette racer is pure insanity and 100% false. How else would a front engine V10 Viper race against a mid-mounted V8 Ferrari and a rear-mounted flat-6 Porsche?

Please. It's nothing like NASCAR's cars.
It is contrived competition exactly like NASCAR, only worse, cars are power reduced so as to not embarrass the p cars.

The GT cars are dummied down to the lowest common denominator.
While I despise the fact the Trans-Am runs tube frame cars, at least under the hood they are not crippled by bop farce spec. rules.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 22:22 (Ref:3567045)   #1453
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
It is contrived competition exactly like NASCAR, only worse, cars are power reduced so as to not embarrass the p cars.

The GT cars are dummied down to the lowest common denominator.
While I despise the fact the Trans-Am runs tube frame cars, at least under the hood they are not crippled by bop farce spec. rules.
The cars aren't power reduced for that reason. They're like that so they slot in behind LMP1 and LMP2, as they should.

TA2 cars are all the same! Just choose your body and put it on the spec chassis.

http://www.howeracing.com/Adobe/HoweTA20811.pdf

Trans Am is a lightly regarded regional series that supports other support series. You can't compare that to GT racing.

GTE ran 5.5 seconds quicker at Sebring than the TA1 cars. Still, no comparison.

Last edited by BullMan; 19 Aug 2015 at 22:33.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 23:44 (Ref:3567054)   #1454
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
He is comparing the chassis between a monocoque vs tube frame in the ease in which it is repaired. It in FACT starts life on the same assy line as the production C7. After that they do some work to it but it still retains its production base.

In this one he explains the 'work' that is done to the STOCK chassis in order to add the cage etc...

L.P.
Hey Horndawg, any idea when Corvette will be introducing Hybrid technology that adopts to the world standards and can compete at this high level?
Old 20 Aug 2015, 00:36 (Ref:3567072)   #1455
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Hey Horndawg, any idea when Corvette will be introducing Hybrid technology that adopts to the world standards and can compete at this high level?
Likely when it's finanicially feasable. Don't plan on it anytime soon.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 20 Aug 2015, 00:58 (Ref:3567080)   #1456
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Not trying to go way off topic, but Vette is a dilemma in GM. Do they make the Vette the Supercar/hypercar(?) in the future or does that go to Cadillac? That might dilute the Vette image. But moving it upmarket would take away that value and affordability image. Either way its a tough future for them and the Corvette name. I wonder how this plays out in its racing future?
Old 20 Aug 2015, 01:11 (Ref:3567082)   #1457
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
The only part on that vette that's production is the frame rails, the floorpan and the roof.
So 100% of the structural components of the street car then.

The Ford has a carbon tub and inboard suspension, does that mean GTEs are F1 cars?
Old 20 Aug 2015, 01:39 (Ref:3567086)   #1458
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Not trying to go way off topic, but Vette is a dilemma in GM. Do they make the Vette the Supercar/hypercar(?) in the future or does that go to Cadillac? That might dilute the Vette image. But moving it upmarket would take away that value and affordability image. Either way its a tough future for them and the Corvette name. I wonder how this plays out in its racing future?
I think it would be interesting to see them expand the ZR1 thought process to a true supercar style. CF tub, big HP... might be the way to go. Limited edition, and it'd carry a huge price tag.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 20 Aug 2015, 01:39 (Ref:3567087)   #1459
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
So 100% of the structural components of the street car then.

The Ford has a carbon tub and inboard suspension, does that mean GTEs are F1 cars?
I'm not certain why the attitude?

I simply posted it for those who didn't know.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 03:32 (Ref:3567102)   #1460
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Why? There is no need to.

L.P.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 03:35 (Ref:3567103)   #1461
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
I'm not certain why the attitude?

I simply posted it for those who didn't know.
Pegged the meter on that one.

L.P.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 03:40 (Ref:3567104)   #1462
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:

Corvette has been in mass production for 60+ years, they will not make it into a model that is unattainable to the masses.

L.P.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 03:46 (Ref:3567105)   #1463
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
The cars aren't power reduced for that reason. They're like that so they slot in behind LMP1 and LMP2, as they should.
No you are incorrect, some have the horsepower cut because they would run away from the other gt cars and then the other would have to spend money to keep up.

It you think it is OK for the gt cars to be kept artificially slower than the p cars then you are easily satisfied but as that is the way the France family wants it that is the way it is.

Trans-Am cars do not have the artificial aero add-ons the gt cars have which is the only reason they are quicker.
Take the aero gimmicks off and you would have something that truly resembles a production car.

Trans-Am has tube frames, no kidding.
I do believe I said that.
The SCCA could easily turn, and as they are the SCCA all bets are off, TA1 into just another spec. bs series but so far so good.
The fact there is a TA2 worries me along with the fact they are trying to weed out engine now very popular.

If the IMSA wants to be even a strong shadow of what it once was, to bring back GT1 with rules at least as liberal as they were in the early 2000s, would be a first step.
As it is now, if I were a betting man, I would put my money on the series being in serious trouble by 2019, if it gets that far.
The -- just wait till 2xxx-- has been going on for ten years and the story is not getting better.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 04:31 (Ref:3567109)   #1464
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Corvette has been in mass production for 60+ years, they will not make it into a model that is unattainable to the masses.

L.P.
The new Z06 has a price tag around $100k, thats not obtainable to the masses. I know they could have a 'base' Vette like the Z51, but the future will pass them by in the higher price market. Look at the new NSX and even higher up, the Ford GT.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 05:05 (Ref:3567116)   #1465
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
The new Z06 has a price tag around $100k, thats not obtainable to the masses. I know they could have a 'base' Vette like the Z51, but the future will pass them by in the higher price market. Look at the new NSX and even higher up, the Ford GT.

I will reiterate it, Corvette is a high performance Sports Car, not a hyper car which is exactly why it races as a GTLM in TUSC. Along the lines of why they race in TUSC and not the WEC which puzzles and vexes so many amongst the forum.

L.P.

L.P.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 05:08 (Ref:3567117)   #1466
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
+1^
Old 20 Aug 2015, 14:10 (Ref:3567238)   #1467
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
No you are incorrect, some have the horsepower cut because they would run away from the other gt cars and then the other would have to spend money to keep up.

It you think it is OK for the gt cars to be kept artificially slower than the p cars then you are easily satisfied but as that is the way the France family wants it that is the way it is.

Trans-Am cars do not have the artificial aero add-ons the gt cars have which is the only reason they are quicker.
Take the aero gimmicks off and you would have something that truly resembles a production car.

Trans-Am has tube frames, no kidding.
I do believe I said that.
The SCCA could easily turn, and as they are the SCCA all bets are off, TA1 into just another spec. bs series but so far so good.
The fact there is a TA2 worries me along with the fact they are trying to weed out engine now very popular.

If the IMSA wants to be even a strong shadow of what it once was, to bring back GT1 with rules at least as liberal as they were in the early 2000s, would be a first step.
As it is now, if I were a betting man, I would put my money on the series being in serious trouble by 2019, if it gets that far.
The -- just wait till 2xxx-- has been going on for ten years and the story is not getting better.
Uh, you know that ACO sets the technical regulations for GTE and does the BoP, right? Same thing for GT3. IMSA takes their BoP as a baseline. ACO is the one that says how fast a GTE car will go.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 15:38 (Ref:3567256)   #1468
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Uh, you know that ACO sets the technical regulations for GTE and does the BoP, right? Same thing for GT3. IMSA takes their BoP as a baseline. ACO is the one that says how fast a GTE car will go.
The IMSA can set any regs it so chooses if it so chooses.

The fact Panoz and ALMS kissed the ACOs buttocks, rather than run his own series designed for the U.S. rather than France, is one reason it went belly-up.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 15:53 (Ref:3567259)   #1469
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yet the early years of 1999-200X, you know the times Panoz and IMSA were the bestest friends of ACO before splitting of hairs started to happen, are often considered the best.

Without ACO connection and ACO legal class structure you would have had glorified version of Grand-Am.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 16:41 (Ref:3567268)   #1470
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
The IMSA can set any regs it so chooses if it so chooses.

The fact Panoz and ALMS kissed the ACOs buttocks, rather than run his own series designed for the U.S. rather than France, is one reason it went belly-up.
LOL, you're describing Grand Am! The series NASCAR owned and nobody watched or cared about! You're bagging on ALMS, the one that actually got people to watch and attend races.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 16:42 (Ref:3567269)   #1471
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Yet the early years of 1999-200X, you know the times Panoz and IMSA were the bestest friends of ACO before splitting of hairs started to happen, are often considered the best.

Without ACO connection and ACO legal class structure you would have had glorified version of Grand-Am.
NO, there is no decree that make creation of the DP cars madatory.
The SCCA and IMSA class structures worked fine for years without the ACO.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 17:20 (Ref:3567277)   #1472
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like we got ourselves a good ol' boy here!
Old 20 Aug 2015, 17:21 (Ref:3567280)   #1473
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I did not mean it literally. If Don Panoz had kept just playing golf for retirement days and the old IMSA GT had continued to circulate old WSC variations and whatnot of their own without really caring of anything outside their little circle, we would we have missed the resurrection old North Americas golden age of racing. Factory teams forming and coming out to play, Sebring for period becoming worlds second biggest sportscar race again while making mockery of Daytona, the quick growth of PLM to classic territory, relevant cars and relevant racing. But perhaps more crucially, Le Mans today could be a bleak arena without ALMS. Just as we can thank Ratel for saving LM from falling to its face after 1992, we can thanks Panoz for revitalizing world sportscars for Millenia. This came in good spot since the factory teams at LM were starting to back out at that state again, and as for other teams there were really not that many places to run their machinery. Furthermore, had the IMSA series stayed as some internationally obscure national outfit, I and many others here would never had probably taken any notice of it. With the new fusion series going backwards now in this international relevance, the effect will be reverse.

Last edited by Deleted; 20 Aug 2015 at 17:27.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 17:47 (Ref:3567288)   #1474
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
LOL, you're describing Grand Am! The series NASCAR owned and nobody watched or cared about! You're bagging on ALMS, the one that actually got people to watch and attend races.
Maybe in your mind reality says ALMS went belly-up and the France family took over what was left.

Dumb and dumber giving us more of same crap from a different pile.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3567301)   #1475
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe in your mind reality says ALMS went belly-up and the France family took over what was left.

Dumb and dumber giving us more of same crap from a different pile.
The fact that ALMS was mismanaged by idiots like Scott Atherton has nothing to do with the fact that it brought eyeballs to the series since people wanted to see the same cars that ran at Le Mans.

You say that they should have gone it alone but that is EXACTLY what NASCAR did, and it failed to attract any attention. Teaming up with the ACO was a great decision and it worked for more than a decade.