Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 22 Jul 2004, 22:07 (Ref:1043951)   #126
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macdaddy, I'm just not sure that's true. zerO has been keeping us up on all the rumors of people interested in doing something. But it seems that they're putting all this out to try to create a market and play a lot of folks off on each other. Might work in some cases. But if that's the case, why can't OWRS fill its '04 schedule and had to do a track rental at LVMS just to add a race? Why is South Africa history and Korea probably history? Why has Fittipaldi run all over South America looking for money for races and a team, unsuccessfully so far for the last six months? As the song goes, "a little less talk and a lot more action."
Old 22 Jul 2004, 22:09 (Ref:1043952)   #127
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snout, from the series standpoint on the race track, maybe. But certainly not the business standpoint.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 22:22 (Ref:1043960)   #128
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
Snout, from the series standpoint on the race track, maybe. But certainly not the business standpoint.
In a strict business sense, perhaps not. In the context of the article it was said in and that articles audience, mainly the regular citizens of Portland, all they see is those guys who have been coming here for years. They sure don't see or have even heard of if they are non-racing people the difference between OWRS and CART. All they know is that the guys who have been coming here for 19 years won't be coming anymore.

So while the politicians in Portland may not see it as 19 years, I'm sure the voters may have a different opinion on that.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 22:26 (Ref:1043965)   #129
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indycool, you're right about putting many things out there to try to create a market but the part about playing people off of each other I'm not so sure is intentional as much as it is a byproduct of working every angle to see what rises to the top.

The OWRS track rental in Vegas is a very smart move that should have been done. It is penetration into a good market, the start of fixing a wounded relationship with SMI, and a start at a new/better relationship with NASCAR which won't hurt anything.

As well as looking at what hasn't occured, it is prudent to look at how much OWRS has put in place over just 5 months. It's really pretty remarkable to have just been able to pull this off a season at all. Given that they've been able to look into what the future will bring is quite agressive under the circumstance.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1044659)   #130
indycool
Veteran

Could be Snout. But over a 19-year period, people change. They're not watching Rick Mears or Michael Andretti any more. The average fan likely wouldn't notice the difference between an OWRS car and an IRL car and might even remember some of the IRL drivers racing there.

As for the business side, people seem to forget that Gentilozzi publicly threatened the Portland date for '04 in the Oregonian back in February. Those voters had the opportunity to read that, too. OWRS has tried to muscle the Portland community from the beginning. I just don't buy the whimpering and whining now that "gee, we're so loyal and Portland doesn't want us any more." It's baloney.

Flatspot, think you're right about it not ALL being intentional. And patching up those relationships, I agree, can help. But the OWRS principals HAVE played out all their venue chances in public, even the ones they already have.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1044692)   #131
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Portland may not be an oval, but it's certainly going round in circles.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1044964)   #132
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Macdaddy, I'm just not sure that's true. zerO has been keeping us up on all the rumors of people interested in doing something. But it seems that they're putting all this out to try to create a market and play a lot of folks off on each other. Might work in some cases. But if that's the case, why can't OWRS fill its '04 schedule and had to do a track rental at LVMS just to add a race? Why is South Africa history and Korea probably history? Why has Fittipaldi run all over South America looking for money for races and a team, unsuccessfully so far for the last six months? As the song goes, "a little less talk and a lot more action."

Hey Indycool,
you're 100% right - that's what OWRS is doing (a la Bernie, btw): they claim that there are over 40 international venues interested in Champ Car and are using that so everybody will play off each other... first Forsythe claimed that they are interested in only two European races: England and Spain... then KK goes "shopping" to Germany and France... then RSA government shoots down any chances for DURBAN race in South Africa (since then Stephen Watkins has moved on to DUBAI where he's a GM of the new A1 series)... then Soeul doesn't materialize for this year... now we have a Brazilian and Argentine races promised for next year... and very likely we will get two European races and a race in either DUBAI,UAE or DOHA,Qatar... so, that's 5 new ones + Korea ?!... and don't forget Las Vegas and St.Pete ?!... insert "lightbulb" here...

Now, Eidswick said we'll have a 16-17 race schedule nex year, GF and KK claim 18 is their goal, and PG lays safe by saying "16-18" -> some races on current schedule are definitely not making it next year - take a pick: Portland, Denver, Road America, and/or even Milwaukee and Laguna Seca... we definitely not know what the Troika is thinking, but by their actions regarding Portland we surely can see that Portland is the first one (from this year's schedule) to get axed ?!... will RA be next or Denver ???...

zerO
Old 23 Jul 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1044969)   #133
zerO
Veteran

...and as far as race promotion and $$$ involved - we don't hear too much about any mother lodes getting found, do we ???... OWRS will still self-promote a few races next year... should they really have any pull (yet) then we would see the series' title sponsor on board (insert "lightbulb" here)...

zerO
Old 23 Jul 2004, 19:43 (Ref:1044974)   #134
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't that what they were telling us THIS year, zer0?

I hope that they do land a 16-18 race schedule....and I hope that the venues they do pick do in fact come through....

Especially South America....boatloads of hardcore open-wheel racing fans down there...thanks to Emmo, Nelson Piquet, and many, many others....

This also would help Emmo get some support for a team....maybe give some businesses some incentive to get him going in the Series....

Dropping Road America would be a mistake....its the best road course on this continent....

But the former Series always treated them like an unwanted step-child...I would hope that the new regime would change that...

Guess we'll see once they announce their schedule....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Jul 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1044989)   #135
indycool
Veteran

I'm not sure that there's a reasonable certainty -- let alone contracts -- for half of an 18-race schedule. I put these in the "lock" category: Mexico City and Surfers. I put these in a "reasonable certainty" category: Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Monterrey, Long Beach. I put this in a "hafta do it again" category: Cleveland. There are questions, some small, some large, about all the rest.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1045008)   #136
zerO
Veteran

...and thus a "Portland" thread has turned into another "Schedule" thread... come on, guys... let's leave this for Portland fans to vent on Portland... insert "lightbulb" here...

zerO
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1045011)   #137
zerO
Veteran

btw, will I miss Portland ?? - YES... will OWRS miss Portland ?? - NO !!! - we did figure that part by now, haven't we ?!...

zerO
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:24 (Ref:1045017)   #138
indycool
Veteran

Yes.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1048772)   #139
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt

But if Portland can't come to terms with the IRL, they may be out in the cold....

and this might be the case....Portland left out in the cold with no open-wheel race at all....

the word here in Indianapolis is that there are some "last minute negotiations" going on to finalize the IRL's schedule (with whom, I do not know...maybe Portland???), but as of now, Nazareth (which is being shut down as a facility) and the 2nd Texas race (the date is too close to a 2nd NASCAR race in early November) will be gone, and the two road courses that will be "On" will be Watkins Glen and Sears Point...

Thus the scenario I brought up earlier...where the "bid" for Portland will be gone...and without any "competition" for a race, there would be nothing in the way of OWRS and Portland going back to each other to talk about that 3-year deal....

so this is far from over.....

Don't cancel your hotel reservations just yet, zer0....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 27 Jul 2004 at 13:41.

Old 27 Jul 2004, 13:44 (Ref:1048779)   #140
indycool
Veteran

I'm hearing in Indy exactly what you are, Tim. But the Portland folks had their date threatened publicly by Gentilozzi a year ago. They're obviously going to hold on to the IRL leverage tool as long as they can.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1048782)   #141
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
I'm hearing in Indy exactly what you are, Tim. But the Portland folks had their date threatened publicly by Gentilozzi a year ago. They're obviously going to hold on to the IRL leverage tool as long as they can.
That leverage tool Portland is trying to wield has a pretty short shelf life...

We're probably talking days here....like over the weekend in Michigan...

The way I understand it, the IRL schedule was pretty much ready to be released this week, but whatever these "lats minute negotiations" involve, that is what is holding it up...

Old 27 Jul 2004, 13:57 (Ref:1048793)   #142
indycool
Veteran

Again, Tim, hearing the same thing. IRL enthusiasm for Portland has wilted quite a bit. I think, too, the IRL schedule is in pretty good shape as quietly as it's been the last couple of years. The only question marks I see that may need some "ironing" are what happens in Canada. Singleton has said all the right things for OWRS, Molson has merged with Coors and Singleton isn't going to be stampeded into a deal by OWRS OR IRL under the circumstances. Other than that, I see Infineon and The Glen and much more consistency than surprises, unless Long Beach is "in play" somehow.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 15:20 (Ref:1048860)   #143
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just to add fuel to the fire, I was down at PIR this past weekend (long story about why I wasn't at my "home" race, but anyway...).

The way this situation was explained to me by the locals on my turn is that altho an agreement had been made to keep Champs in Portland, Mr. Francesconi (Parks Commissioner) would like to run for mayor and thought that stirring the pot would improve his visibility. Thus the RFP.

Champ essentially said, "Hey, we have a contract. What's this RFP (****)?" and told him to get stuffed. The IRL said, "Oh goody, an opportunity," and sent in their boilerplate RFP.

Then the heavens opened. The fan response has been very strong for Champ. Apparently Mr. Francesconi has even had death threats should the IRL come to Portland (altho this may have been wishful thinking on the person's part who told me this).

We did have a media person approach us at our turn station and ask what would happen if the IRL came to Portland. The unanimous response from the corner workers was that they would not attend, whether Oregon Region SCCA had the contract to provide services or not. I thought that was an interesting addition to the tale, which is not over yet.

keke

Last edited by racerkeke; 27 Jul 2004 at 15:21.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 15:40 (Ref:1048890)   #144
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Racerkeke's post sums up why we need to get back to one series and get everyone working together to push single seaters in America back into success.

The infighting's killing it all.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 17:23 (Ref:1048993)   #145
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racerkeke
We did have a media person approach us at our turn station and ask what would happen if the IRL came to Portland. The unanimous response from the corner workers was that they would not attend, whether Oregon Region SCCA had the contract to provide services or not. I thought that was an interesting addition to the tale, which is not over yet.
On a sidebar, NICE to finally meet you keke!!

Anyhow, I concer. The IRL would only be met with a string of signs with a certain slogan, of which I'm not permitted to repeat here. I'd probably be right there with them. NOT working.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 27 Jul 2004, 17:25 (Ref:1048995)   #146
Kicking-back
Veteran

So you'd rather have no race at all than an IndyCar race?

Baffling!
Old 27 Jul 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1049024)   #147
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
You see Kicking-back, I love racing. I love it unconditionally - as long as it is in exactly the format I prefer, no deviations, no room for compromise.

As a fan, I am very flexible!

It continues to amaze me that who runs the series is, it seems, much higher on the priority list than the racing itself. Or in this case the choice between no race at all and a race in similar (but not the same cars) presented by Brand X.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 17:54 (Ref:1049032)   #148
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I haven't been to Michigan since 2001.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 18:25 (Ref:1049065)   #149
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
I haven't been to Michigan since 2001.

That's a shame, macdaddy....

because the racing is quite good there on the high banks....and it will be again this weekend, too...

You could be in one of those seats watching good, fast action with a lot of passing and changes of position

We all have our own opinions, and I admire and respect that....

But as for me...

Life is too short to let people, personalities and politics get in the way of my enjoyment of good, competitive open-wheel racing featuring top quality drivers and teams fighting it out on the race track....

So I'll be watching this weekend....

and if OWRS were to race there the following week, I'd watch them, too....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 27 Jul 2004 at 18:26.

Old 27 Jul 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1049079)   #150
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will say that I do draw a line in the sand when it comes to loyalty. And I won't appologise for supporting my series, and for not supporting (and therefore lining his pockets with money) the man that for 8 years has been trying to destroy it. I don't care how good the racing is. It's that simple in my eyes.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!