Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2021, 17:46 (Ref:4073390)   #126
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I agree. I thought that was a racing incident for sure.

Absolutely. At the time I put that down to a racing incident and having watched it numerous times I still do. If the stewards feel blame needs to be apportioned, then it should be apportioned to who ever it was that thought it was a good idea install those sausage kerbs. That's what initially caused Verstappen's car to jump up from the track. 0.55 seconds in on the footage. Once that happened he no longer had control of the car.

https://youtu.be/_VSwwZYDW94
Old 12 Sep 2021, 17:48 (Ref:4073391)   #127
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a bit harsh but reasonable considering is verstappen the one who didn't lift off while he was over the kerb
Old 12 Sep 2021, 18:15 (Ref:4073393)   #128
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So Toto has described the incident as a 'tactical foul'.

Lets hope these next two weeks go very quickly and without George Russell having to replicate the incident in the simulator.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 18:24 (Ref:4073395)   #129
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
a bit harsh but reasonable considering is verstappen the one who didn't lift off while he was over the kerb

Once he was over the sausage kerb it was too late to lift off.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 18:28 (Ref:4073396)   #130
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2 View Post
Lets hope these next two weeks go very quickly and without George Russell having to replicate the incident in the simulator.
LOL

... more likely they 'd ask Vandoorde or de Vries to do that rather than Russell
Old 12 Sep 2021, 18:38 (Ref:4073398)   #131
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Once he was over the sausage kerb it was too late to lift off.

I think verstappen was punished because according to race steward decision, verstappen didn't manage to avoid the contact, it's a very big gray area... conceptually is not that different from what hamilton did during silverstone race. Main difference is that hamilton got 10s because was still in race, verstappen got 3 positions because sanction came after the race.
It's a bit harsh but however reasonable to me.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 18:39 (Ref:4073399)   #132
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
LOL

... more likely they 'd ask Vandoorde or de Vries to do that rather than Russell

russel has kinda of experience about crashing against a mercedes
Old 12 Sep 2021, 18:52 (Ref:4073405)   #133
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't agree with the decision or the reasoning. I think the flaw in the reasoning is that one is exiting pit and getting up to speed on cold tires and the other is coming at speed on warmed up tires. Yes, that will create a non-typical entry into the corner. I would have put it down to a racing incident.

IMHO, if feels a bit like "Someone must be punished".

Richard
Old 12 Sep 2021, 18:53 (Ref:4073406)   #134
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Glad to see F1 is still a ever foolish as possible. Literally change the rules mid race to penalize Red Bull any chance they get. Red Bull management SUCKS and brings it on themselves but LH is driving like a petulant child and on the radio non-stop in the same manner MV is. Pointless to watch the rest of the season as it's a waste of a good challenge when the principal shows up to penalize something as if it's NASCAR and for the show.

Utterly ridiculous anything beyond racing incident and LH on the gas with the wheel hooked behind his wing and the radio telling him to shut it down is GARBAGE. That needs penalty points for safety, the other driver is in your vision out of the car and you're trying to move yours???
Old 12 Sep 2021, 19:17 (Ref:4073413)   #135
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
As soon as I heard Horner describe it as a racing incident I was sure Verstappen was getting the blame. Horner would have seen footage and telemetry by that point and understands the rules well enough to know how the stewards were likely to see it.

I can't decide what to make of Verstappen walking off without checking on Hamilton. Emotions of the moment etc - that would have been scary for him too. Same for Hamilton's odd attempt to reverse. Overall I'm going with neither of them thinking quite straight in those first moments after the crash.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 19:21 (Ref:4073416)   #136
Beau2
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post

Utterly ridiculous anything beyond racing incident and LH on the gas with the wheel hooked behind his wing and the radio telling him to shut it down is GARBAGE. That needs penalty points for safety, the other driver is in your vision out of the car and you're trying to move yours???
Not only that but he was actually trying to move the car when Verstappen had his belts undone and was trying to balance and jump out. Hamilton was still trying to reverse when he could see Max walking behind his car. I have not seen anything like it before - it was completely boneheaded of Hamilton to try and carry on; especially after a bump on the head.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 19:38 (Ref:4073423)   #137
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I have not seen anything like it before - it was completely boneheaded of Hamilton to try and carry on; especially after a bump on the head.
Perhaps, having had that "bump on the head" you refer to in passing, he wasn't thinking entirely straight?
Old 12 Sep 2021, 19:43 (Ref:4073426)   #138
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Glad to see F1 is still a ever foolish as possible. Literally change the rules mid race to penalize Red Bull any chance they get.
That's not exactly true.

If they were really out on a mission to punish Verstappen/Red Bull they were given a chance to do that on lap 1 ... and decided not to.

... And again when Verstappen cut the chicane and may or may not have gained some time there.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 19:44 (Ref:4073427)   #139
Beau2
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Perhaps, having had that "bump on the head" you refer to in passing, he wasn't thinking entirely straight?
Possibly. Although incidents like Nurburgring 07, Germany 19 and Imola 21 suggest that Hamilton will do anything to rescue the car. It is commendable on those occasions but I'm pretty sure he would have recieved a black flag for it today.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 19:49 (Ref:4073428)   #140
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Sky have the footage on their YT for those who haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPKqGO59T0

A few thoughts:

- It's very scary. Pre-halo Hamilton would have been crushed.
- Verstappen is definitely pitched up by the kerb and his right rear then rolls up Hamiton's left rear.
- It all happens very very quickly.
- Hamilton could not have seen Verstappen getting out when he first tried to reverse
- Verstappen walks off onto the track. He glances once towards Hamilton.

They both behave oddly. I think they were both pretty shaken up.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:01 (Ref:4073433)   #141
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not only that but he was actually trying to move the car when Verstappen had his belts undone and was trying to balance and jump out. Hamilton was still trying to reverse when he could see Max walking behind his car. I have not seen anything like it before - it was completely boneheaded of Hamilton to try and carry on; especially after a bump on the head.
In the middle of the track. That seemed pretty boneheaded to me, I must say.....
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:03 (Ref:4073434)   #142
Mogster
Rookie

Mogster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Sky have the footage on their YT for those who haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPKqGO59T0

A few thoughts:

- It's very scary. Pre-halo Hamilton would have been crushed.
- Verstappen is definitely pitched up by the kerb and his right rear then rolls up Hamiton's left rear.
- It all happens very very quickly.
- Hamilton could not have seen Verstappen getting out when he first tried to reverse
- Verstappen walks off onto the track. He glances once towards Hamilton.

They both behave oddly. I think they were both pretty shaken up.
Verstappen looked quite shook up when Sky showed him in the garage. It was a scary incident. Verstappen’s tyre appeared to contact Hamilton’s helmet. I was surprised he didn’t check Hamilton wasn’t injured even a cursory, are you OK.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:05 (Ref:4073436)   #143
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Verstappen tried to driven off whilst his rear wheels were next to Hamiltons head, judging by the fact that his rear wheels started to turn whilst the car was mid air. Which one is boneheaded again?
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:07 (Ref:4073437)   #144
Beau2
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
In the middle of the track. That seemed pretty boneheaded to me, I must say.....
Agree on this too. Although perhaps Hamilton's attempt to get out forwards first of all might have spooked him from going around the front. A quick divert to the barriers and out of the way would have sufficed.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:11 (Ref:4073439)   #145
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Inevitably, we're all picking it apart, because that's what we do. For me, it was always the likely end scenario for Max and Lewis. Max gave Lewis no room at all on lap 1 but then he (and Horner) expected Lewis to say 'after you Claude' to Max at turn 1 later. It wasn't going to happen and frankly, for Lewis, it really couldn't happen, as allowing Max to muscle through there would have been another psychological 'tick' for Max to chalk up. We want a great battle for the WDC from the two contenders and that's what we're getting. To expect it all to pass off with no tears at all on one side or the other (or both) is almost certainly asking too much. I suspect it won't be the last time this season that the pair of them will find themselves in difficulty because no quarter is given.

Anyhow, brilliant to see a McLaren 1-2 and congrats to Daniel on a terrific race. That'll do him a power of good.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:14 (Ref:4073440)   #146
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I couldn't give a rats ass about Hamilton or Verstappen... McLaren back on top!!
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:14 (Ref:4073441)   #147
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogster View Post
Verstappen looked quite shook up when Sky showed him in the garage. It was a scary incident. Verstappen’s tyre appeared to contact Hamilton’s helmet. I was surprised he didn’t check Hamilton wasn’t injured even a cursory, are you OK.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:18 (Ref:4073446)   #148
Beau2
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Verstappen tried to driven off whilst his rear wheels were next to Hamiltons head, judging by the fact that his rear wheels started to turn whilst the car was mid air. Which one is boneheaded again?
Let's be honest here, Max's rear wheels were nowhere near Hamilton's head when Max tried to drive off. They were resting behind Hamilton's front wheels but nowhere near his head. It was dull by both of them to try and continue.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:22 (Ref:4073450)   #149
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Let's be honest here, Max's rear wheels were nowhere near Hamilton's head when Max tried to drive off. They were resting behind Hamilton's front wheels but nowhere near his head. It was dull by both of them to try and continue.
I agree. But I was joining in the namecalling, which is seemingly what we do on here nowadays.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:59 (Ref:4073460)   #150
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogster View Post

You can see him turn his head towards Hamilton. At that point Hamilton pumps the throttle trying to get back on the track, so Verstappen knows Hamilton is Ok. Also that it is best if he keeps moving.

Last edited by bobec; 12 Sep 2021 at 21:23.