Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Drifting

Old 22 Jul 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1662067)   #126
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors
Whether you like it or not, whether you consider it a motorsport or not, it's here and here to stay.
I agree, and I, for one, think it is great that it so!
Old 23 Jul 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1663010)   #127
BigDaddy
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
BigDaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Drifting is motorsport. It involves cars, it involves racetracks, and it involves a winner. Therefore it is motorsport. What is NOT, is motor RACING.

and FWIW, I am heavily involved in the Drift scene in NSW, with ties to Initial Drift Australia (the first CAMS affiliated Drift Club in the country) as well as the Drift Australia (National) Series. I am a circuit racer at heart though (albeit not a very good one!) and that is where my allegiances lie, but Drift is an emerging sport and is continuing to grow at a rapid pace. I've seen it grow from a demo at a Procar event in 2004 through to a National Championship the following year, to this year's Championships with double the fields of 2005 (and with a wait list for entries!).

Whether you like it or not, whether you consider it a motorsport or not, it's here and here to stay.
You don't have anything to do with the running of the DA events do you? Wayne??
Old 24 Jul 2006, 10:06 (Ref:1663248)   #128
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff

That's drifting.
is it posible to have that as an avatar?
Old 24 Jul 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1663742)   #129
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I just gave it a go...but it would only show a still of the first frame in avatar form.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1664042)   #130
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
You don't have anything to do with the running of the DA events do you? Wayne??
LOL, I'm not Wayne, but you will see me at Eastern Creek this weekend shooting the DA Series
Old 25 Jul 2006, 18:30 (Ref:1664376)   #131
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a sport, but that is not mean't to say it has any less value - I wish I could drift like some of the demo's iv'e seen on TV. However IMHO a sport is the quickest/longest/highest and the words subjective and objective appear in the argument somewhere.
However half the sports in the Olympics don't fall within my Criteria of sport- so what do I know ?
It has a valid place in entertainment, and for those taking part- no reason why it shouldn't be mixed with more 'traditional' motorsport though !
Old 26 Aug 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1692724)   #132
Phil Morrison
Rookie

Phil Morrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What an interesting read!! . I haven't got an hour to sit and read every post, but from scanning through, I've got to say that I'm refreshed to see that there are finally some positive comments coming from people involved in other forms of motorsports.
It's nice to see that we are starting to get comments from people who have actually seen drifting. Instead of just the usual 'I don't know anything about it, so it must just be about kids wearing hoodies pulling the handbrake in carparks' attitude that is all to common.

I am the current number one in the D1GB which is Europes premiere drift championship, and I'd just like to offer my services here if anyone has any questions on drifting ..
I've got a few replys for some of the people have commented on this thread, who have obviously not been to a drift even.
I'm still ammused by people thinking that we don't go fast.. Just to let you know, the original layout we used at Rockingham for round one, involved an initiation on corner four at around 130mph. yes that is forcing the car to go to the lock stops at around 130mph.. We enter Silverstones Brooklands and 110mph sideways with a couple of feet between us.. Drifting is fast, and it's not for the faint hearted.

We've got drivers from all other forms of motorsports coming over to drifting, and the attitude is often that they think they will jump in a full works car, and kick our arses, as driftings easy.. isn't it?????
The latest driver to do this was Tiff Needel, who hopped into one of the most competitive cars this season for 2 rounds. This is one of the most famous people for going sideways in this country. He's a great bloke, and really seemed to enjoy himself, but didn't once qualify for the top 16 (and don't believe everything that you see on television )..In reality it's not as simple as that. Yes there is an element of car setup involved in being at the top, but it's nothing like alot of other forms of motorsport where development time, equipment, and lets face it money have a very large sway on finishing position. Driver skill prevails.

For the record, even at the top level, we don't take drifting too seriously. It is entertainment, but then so is any other motorsport, and yes drifting is a motorsport.
Build yourself a car, get yourself a license, and come and feel the atmosphere on the startline, witness the commeradery if anyone has a car problem etc. But most importantly I defy anyone to not get out of the car grinning after their first succesfull run .
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1693018)   #133
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Phil nice post.

I was at Knockhill the day after the Drift event there and was impressed by how well prepared the cars looked in the awning (and the track action!) - not sure if you stayed on for that - I think the lightning nearly killed us all that day!
Old 26 Aug 2006, 21:23 (Ref:1693092)   #134
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will see if I can get to the D1GB Next year.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1693439)   #135
Phil Morrison
Rookie

Phil Morrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Hi Phil nice post.

I was at Knockhill the day after the Drift event there and was impressed by how well prepared the cars looked in the awning (and the track action!) - not sure if you stayed on for that - I think the lightning nearly killed us all that day!
Hi I was just there the day before for the D1GB round 3, we decided to go back, as we had the whole trade stand set up, and nobody in Scotland buys anything .
It's a shame you didn't get to see the Saturday, as the Sunday only had a couple of the professionals stay on as far as I know, and the battle drift on the Sunday was some of the best we have done..
Knockhill was an absolutely awesome track, it required some serious faith initiating the drift at around 110mph with the completely blind falling right hander
Old 27 Aug 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1694140)   #136
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I sort of know what you mean. It seems daunting enough at 45mph in an Ibiza Cupra. Pointing ahead!
Old 28 Sep 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1722467)   #137
s-crutineer
Rookie

s-crutineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been involved in driftracing this year as an official.
Before my first event My only impression was from seeing a demo but TBH it really dosn't show it at its best .
I can honestly say that IMHO it's a motorport that should have a huge future! Certainly some of the closest and most exciting i've ever seen.... and as a scrut.. i see many events. Dont judge it from a demo or even worse from the idea of a "chav" handbraking a car round a carpark - the reality is very different!
what does sadden me is all the bickering like in here ..... surely we should all be united with a love of motorsport against numpties that would want to stop it rather than bickering about a definition of whats motorsport / racing etc?

Oh well .... where did I put my probans? I feel a flaming approaching and on my first post as well
Old 30 Sep 2006, 17:29 (Ref:1723753)   #138
turbodrift
Rookie

turbodrift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
drifting is a motor sport entertainment

Myself and my team have worked very hard to establish the sport of drifting in the UK. I have worked with instructors from silverstone and other venues to help them understand the ins and outs of this crazy sport. With entry of the D1 who use the race circuits it has shown that it can put back the excitment and fun of motor sport. No one can deny that motor sport has lost popularity in some sectors over the last few years.

Drifting will put back this wow factor and compliment some other types of motor sport. More race tracks are willing to work with us as we have proved we are a profesional organisation with Health & safety a priority however you can still have fun and excitment within the rules.

The €urodrift series acts as a feeder for new talent to go into D1 we tend to use more technical tracks like Teeside Autodrome and other Go-Kart circuits plus airfields around the UK.

I believe it is here to stay as a different form of motor sport entertainment.

www.eurodrift.com
www.driftuk.co.uk
www.driftskool.co.uk
Old 30 Sep 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1723755)   #139
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I was reading somewhere that drifters fully lock thier diffs, is this true and if so do they still use them on the road?
Old 30 Sep 2006, 17:51 (Ref:1723768)   #140
turbodrift
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
I was reading somewhere that drifters fully lock thier diffs, is this true and if so do they still use them on the road?

Some drifters do fully lock their diffs some do use them on the roads
Old 1 Oct 2006, 11:14 (Ref:1724304)   #141
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drifting IMO is motorsport yes, its driver and machine against other competitors therefore I think it should be counted.
Old 1 Oct 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1724328)   #142
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodrift
Some drifters do fully lock their diffs some do use them on the roads
That must be fun chirping the rears on the road at every corner Isnt a full locked diff on a road car illegal in some parts.
Old 1 Oct 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1724367)   #143
turbodrift
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
That must be fun chirping the rears on the road at every corner Isnt a full locked diff on a road car illegal in some parts.

they are not illegal however i personnally dont think they shoud use them on the road as at high speed i have seen them blow.
Old 1 Oct 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1724578)   #144
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
If you weld the spiders up thats what will happen, much safer to fit a spool, you won't break one of them!
Old 1 Oct 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1724714)   #145
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Morrison
What an interesting read!! . I haven't got an hour to sit and read every post, but from scanning through, I've got to say that I'm refreshed to see that there are finally some positive comments coming from people involved in other forms of motorsports.
It's nice to see that we are starting to get comments from people who have actually seen drifting. Instead of just the usual 'I don't know anything about it, so it must just be about kids wearing hoodies pulling the handbrake in carparks' attitude that is all to common.

I am the current number one in the D1GB which is Europes premiere drift championship, and I'd just like to offer my services here if anyone has any questions on drifting ..
I've got a few replys for some of the people have commented on this thread, who have obviously not been to a drift even.
I'm still ammused by people thinking that we don't go fast.. Just to let you know, the original layout we used at Rockingham for round one, involved an initiation on corner four at around 130mph. yes that is forcing the car to go to the lock stops at around 130mph.. We enter Silverstones Brooklands and 110mph sideways with a couple of feet between us.. Drifting is fast, and it's not for the faint hearted.

We've got drivers from all other forms of motorsports coming over to drifting, and the attitude is often that they think they will jump in a full works car, and kick our arses, as driftings easy.. isn't it?????
The latest driver to do this was Tiff Needel, who hopped into one of the most competitive cars this season for 2 rounds. This is one of the most famous people for going sideways in this country. He's a great bloke, and really seemed to enjoy himself, but didn't once qualify for the top 16 (and don't believe everything that you see on television )..In reality it's not as simple as that. Yes there is an element of car setup involved in being at the top, but it's nothing like alot of other forms of motorsport where development time, equipment, and lets face it money have a very large sway on finishing position. Driver skill prevails.

For the record, even at the top level, we don't take drifting too seriously. It is entertainment, but then so is any other motorsport, and yes drifting is a motorsport.
Build yourself a car, get yourself a license, and come and feel the atmosphere on the startline, witness the commeradery if anyone has a car problem etc. But most importantly I defy anyone to not get out of the car grinning after their first succesfull run .
Nicely put. I don't doubt that there is a great deal of speed and talent involved, for the whole issue is that it's a judged 'sport'. One judge thinks you did a great job, another thinks you didn't who's right?
Old 6 Oct 2006, 07:20 (Ref:1729663)   #146
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no "right" in a judged sport. Look at the top level judges they use for the Olympics etc, and look at the wildly varying scores they give out. It's human nature.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1733396)   #147
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There is no "right" in a judged sport.
I was asking rhetorically.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 00:39 (Ref:1733519)   #148
alfacors
Veteran

A lot of people don't think of it in a rhetorical sense though. It's weird that guys who compete in a subjectively judged competition still don't understand the nature of subjective judging.......
Old 10 Jul 2007, 14:22 (Ref:1959715)   #149
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
If drifting gets popular enough, TC might be introduced for safety reasons.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 16:49 (Ref:1959851)   #150
Captain VXR
Racer

European Union
Bath
Captain VXR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt it - the roll cages in EDC cars are very well built and thick and also race car spec safety devices are used eg emergency engine cut off so the driver has nearly as much protection as a BTCC car