Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Feb 2010, 01:45 (Ref:2627671)   #126
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
Local residents and business operators are far from happy about the proposed new track layout and the business owners expect to loose big $$ if the proposal goes ahead - the existing track (streets) have to be changed because of the light rail that will go through the area , the light rail project can't be stopped - moved - or slowed down for some two bit V8 race that was quickly announced to take away the heat from the debacle that was last years event and the fallout that has claimed quite a few heads and probably more to follow.
[violin-music]The poor accommodation houses that have been massively over charging for years... now they'll only be able to get away with marginally inflated prices. Here's a thought- if there was no event at all, they would have zero occupancy in what is normally a dead time. Be thankful for what you've got. As for the Pitstop Booze shop, he should still do a pretty good trade...[/violin-music]
Old 6 Feb 2010, 01:52 (Ref:2627674)   #127
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
Hold up... the event was costing $20mil last year when it was run on the full circuit. I'd imagine it would be a whole lot less on the short track.
What are they cutting out? 20% 25% - it isn;t going to save all that much money.

(Edit - if anything could cost a bit more as the new fencing will now have to go through areas that previous were unfenced...fun and games there)

BTW - what is the track length for the 'proposed' V8 Special version? Anyone know compared to the original layout?

Last edited by NewsStalker; 6 Feb 2010 at 02:10.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 01:57 (Ref:2627676)   #128
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the white shoe brigade ?

Quote:
Hold up... the event was costing $20mil last year when it was run on the full circuit. I'd imagine it would be a whole lot less on the short track.
So what if it costs less - where is the funding shortfall coming from? If not the Council?
Old 6 Feb 2010, 02:10 (Ref:2627679)   #129
cavvy
Veteran

& look who holds the V8 TV rights internationally:
IMG SPORTS MEDIA TO EXCLUSIVELY REPRESENT V8 SUPERCARS

http://www.imgworld.com/press_room/f...tegoryID=12541
Old 6 Feb 2010, 02:25 (Ref:2627684)   #130
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
What are they cutting out? 20% 25% - it isn;t going to save all that much money.

(Edit - if anything could cost a bit more as the new fencing will now have to go through areas that previous were unfenced...fun and games there)

BTW - what is the track length for the 'proposed' V8 Special version? Anyone know compared to the original layout?
The old track was 4.5km, the new is 2.9km, and the old track included a fair bit of run off road. The new section that wasn't used last year is about 75m long, which is about as long as the run off road at the Holiday Inn. So it would be a 33% track shortening.

Cost savings-
* Transporting, erecting and dismantling 1.5km of barriers and catch fence
* They don't have to erect two additional footbridge
* Much much less perimeter security fencing
* Having additional TV cameras on that part of the track and the associated cable running (which isn't cheap)
* Requires less security, and savings involved with traffic diversions during construction etc
* Requires less officials (lunches, clothing etc all adds up)
* Probably sell some more tickets because it's harder to get 'free' access to the new circuit, and they won't have to give away as many resident passes.
* The one corporate stand on that section of the track was useless for viewing- much easier to transfer that onto another layer at the turn one chicane corporate facility

+ I'm sure there are others. I suppose there is the possibility that they lose out on some potential wall signage space, but they could probably cram them elsewhere.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 02:39 (Ref:2627692)   #131
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
So what if it costs less - where is the funding shortfall coming from? If not the Council?
Obviously neither of us are privy to the financials, but I would imagine that the event would generate an income (gate sales, corporate sales, advertising sales, beer sales, concession stand/merchandise income, support category entry fees etc), and this would go some part of the way to fund the event.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 02:41 (Ref:2627693)   #132
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
...and I believe that the council used to make a contribution, mainly regarding traffic management during construction/knock down, as well as maintaining the grounds/Macintosh Island etc.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 04:42 (Ref:2627720)   #133
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Council's direct cost for Super GP is estimated at $470,000 on site, with other costs related to traffic diversions, extra cleaning etc in off site areas in addition to that acording to my scources. Say half a million all up.
The violim playing accommodation houses are ratepayers, taxpayers, employers and rather large investors with considerable influence in tourism and business. They are among the people TC has to convince that this emasculated event is worth while.
Of course the agreement between SEL and the State Government is at present "Commercial in Confidence" as was the agreement with IMG. With the on going waves from the IMG fiasco my understanding is that the Government might find itself under considerable pressure against maintaining that confidentiality.
There are considerable construction and organisational cost savings with the shortened track but I would imagine that particularly in year 1 those will to some extent be minimised by the fact that part of the savings will be used in redesign etc. I doubt if there will be much in the way of extra ticket sales because residents won't be in the track precinct, in fact probably the opposite as those units won't let as easily and being used as party base for visitors. Passes are not given out open slather you know.
The term Broadwater Park is usually used to describe the area on the Southport waterfront at the end of Nerang St although that is not it's official name. No one would be daft enough to suggest that surely?
The area mentioned by Crash Test at the end of the Spit, Doug Jennings park would be clear as that is where they store all the concrete barriers that are used to set up the race track. Could be feasible with a sound stage set up out there. I guess the shuttle bus system could work running straight up Main Beach Pde and Seaworld drive, but that possibility introduces a whole new group of influential probable objectors, as well as getting the green lobby even more offside.
TC you have a lot more selling to do.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 04:47 (Ref:2627722)   #134
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
who is he selling it to?
Old 6 Feb 2010, 04:55 (Ref:2627724)   #135
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He has to msell the Gold Coast Council and community the idea that the benefit of having just another V8 race is worth the cost and inconvenience.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 05:22 (Ref:2627726)   #136
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
who is he selling it to?
Clearly you are sold on these stunning enhancements to the Gold Coast event Pecky
Old 6 Feb 2010, 05:23 (Ref:2627727)   #137
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i just asked the question
Old 6 Feb 2010, 06:44 (Ref:2627735)   #138
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
The violim playing accommodation houses are ratepayers, taxpayers, employers and rather large investors with considerable influence in tourism and business. They are among the people TC has to convince that this emasculated event is worth while.
At the end of the day, what everyone has to realise is that the options are what will happen, or no race at all. The accommodation houses left out of the loop are crying poor because they can't charge ludicrous prices for their annual cash cow. At least with the race the way it is, they will still be able to pack the place out at more reasonable prices during a time of otherwise low occupancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
The term Broadwater Park is usually used to describe the area on the Southport waterfront at the end of Nerang St although that is not it's official name. No one would be daft enough to suggest that surely?
The area mentioned by Crash Test at the end of the Spit, Doug Jennings park would be clear as that is where they store all the concrete barriers that are used to set up the race track. Could be feasible with a sound stage set up out there. I guess the shuttle bus system could work running straight up Main Beach Pde and Seaworld drive, but that possibility introduces a whole new group of influential probable objectors, as well as getting the green lobby even more offside.
It would almost definately be at Doug Jennings Park. It's out of the way, and doesn't disrupt anyone, and they have been having big time concerts there has been tried and tested over and over again. Nobody lives on Seaworld Drive, and it is a busy main drag at the best of times, so it shouldn't put anyone out.

It's one of the facts of life living in this part of the universe, that it is a massive tourist area, and big events like the motorsport, schoolies, holidays and weekends happen. I live right in the ghetto of downtown Surfers, and I've got to tell you that the rowdiest week of the year is during the University Games. It's a bit like schoolies, except the kids are old enough to drink and generally get much more out of control... without the media scrutiny that the other events receive.

Another thing I forgot to add earlier- another major cost saving would be had by simply not having an international act. By the time you pay air fairs for a couple of plane loads of cars, sanctioning fees etc, it would be several millions worth of additional expense.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 07:19 (Ref:2627738)   #139
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The old track was 4.5km, the new is 2.9km, and the old track included a fair bit of run off road. The new section that wasn't used last year is about 75m long, which is about as long as the run off road at the Holiday Inn. So it would be a 33% track shortening.

Cost savings-
* Transporting, erecting and dismantling 1.5km of barriers and catch fence
* They don't have to erect two additional footbridge
* Much much less perimeter security fencing
* Having additional TV cameras on that part of the track and the associated cable running (which isn't cheap)
* Requires less security, and savings involved with traffic diversions during construction etc
* Requires less officials (lunches, clothing etc all adds up)
* Probably sell some more tickets because it's harder to get 'free' access to the new circuit, and they won't have to give away as many resident passes.
* The one corporate stand on that section of the track was useless for viewing- much easier to transfer that onto another layer at the turn one chicane corporate facility

+ I'm sure there are others. I suppose there is the possibility that they lose out on some potential wall signage space, but they could probably cram them elsewhere.
You forgot one important fact. That is there will have to be a serious reduction in the price of tickets if the V8s are the only act in the show.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 07:20 (Ref:2627739)   #140
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont really think having the gold coast as a eduro,there will be too many crashes,i think the best thing for the gold coast events to get try to get the indycars back.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 08:21 (Ref:2627746)   #141
Mr Intolerant
Rookie

Australia
Under your momma's bed!
Mr Intolerant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMr Intolerant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So 15 Countries they want we can probably fill from those already driven Supercars -

Marcos Ambrose - USA
Michael Patrizi - Italy
Chris Alajajian - Armenia/Lebanon
Alan Simonsen - Denmark
Alain Menu - Switzerland
Alex Yoong - Malaysia/China
Jason Plato - England
John Cleland - Scotland
Max Wilson - Columbia
Paul Radisich - New Zealand
Yvan Muller - France
Alex Tagliani - Canada

Anyone got 3 more?
Old 6 Feb 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2627750)   #142
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Craig Baird, Paul Radisich and the guy from Bahrain that drove for Team Kiwi and GRM (whose name forgets me)
Old 6 Feb 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2627753)   #143
cavvy
Veteran

I'm wrong ... I think ?

Quote:
The State Government are not fully funding the event as I understand it, who is kicking in the rest of the dollars? Council?

The State Government will contribute $6.5 million towards the $20 million cost, just half the funding it paid for Indy in the past, with the remaining allocation of $5 million to be kept on the coast for other initiatives.
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

The politics of this schmozzle makes W.A Inc look 2nd rate.
Sincere apologies for making a claim .. rash?

Supercarnivale will cost $6.5 million - $5 million less than the A1GP.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spor...0204-nek6.html

Giving credit here may require some TKRish confidence ... is it VESA or SEL running up the bills OR another Qld Govt backed qango?
Old 6 Feb 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2627954)   #144
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post

The celebrity race was just throwing another idea out there, big prize money for the winning V8 driver and international would get your 'attention'. The international exposer doesn't HAVe to be in their cars, they could still just as easily have their normal championship races in the V8s, and race along side the inters in an enduro in a single make car (thus putting more focus on the drivers, thn the series)
Well, according to you, the V8's is already a single make championship, so that portion would be easy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
No more chicanes? It doesn't look it anymore.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2627975)   #145
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still trying to think of another series that needs to employ these kind of gimmicks...

A pity for the Gold Coast event, it has gone from being a unique event on the Australian motorsport calendar (when open-wheelers were the show), to now just another round of the V8Supercar Series. A real shame in my opinion.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2628008)   #146
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sincere apologies for making a claim .. rash?

Supercarnivale will cost $6.5 million - $5 million less than the A1GP.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spor...0204-nek6.html

Giving credit here may require some TKRish confidence ... is it VESA or SEL running up the bills OR another Qld Govt backed qango?
Re-reading this - the total cost is $20m NOT $6.5m - the article claims the previous events cost $40m (the figure quoted is half the previous cost).
Old 6 Feb 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2628056)   #147
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ford View Post
i think the best thing for the gold coast events to get try to get the indycars back.

I personaly feel the event needs Indycars to survive. For 19 years the event has simply been known as 'Indy', so why not try to get the Indycars back. I'm sure a deal could be brokered in regards to cost and timing, if not I feel this Supercarnivale will just fade away.

It's like the Monaco F1 GP. Most people go for the atmosphere and parties, not so much the racing. But would the Event survive if the F1 cars were replaced by say GP2 or GT3 cars? Both great catorgories, but in a few years the event would just fade away.
As much a Monaco is a party, it needs F1 to keep the party going.

Maybe they should send the Mayor or Ipswitch over to America to broker a deal between Indycar and Gold Coast Events?

If they do go ahead with this 'Internationl Enduro' At least make the Saturday race a single driver points race for the fulltime drivers and make the Sunday race a non points 'Internationl Enduro' race.
Old 6 Feb 2010, 22:47 (Ref:2628145)   #148
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
A pity for the Gold Coast event, it has gone from being a unique event on the Australian motorsport calendar (when open-wheelers were the show), to now just another round of the V8Supercar Series. A real shame in my opinion.
So very true Racer. The only way to differentiate Surfers from Sydney or Townsville etc is now via Mark Blundell.................

That is the selling point
Old 6 Feb 2010, 22:54 (Ref:2628151)   #149
Mr Intolerant
Rookie

Australia
Under your momma's bed!
Mr Intolerant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMr Intolerant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Intolerant View Post
So 15 Countries they want we can probably fill from those already driven Supercars -

Marcos Ambrose - USA
Michael Patrizi - Italy
Chris Alajajian - Armenia/Lebanon
Alan Simonsen - Denmark
Alain Menu - Switzerland
Alex Yoong - Malaysia/China
Jason Plato - England
John Cleland - Scotland
Max Wilson - Columbia
Paul Radisich - New Zealand
Yvan Muller - France
Alex Tagliani - Canada

Anyone got 3 more?

OK so add

Fahad Al Musalam - Bahrain

only two more nations needed
Old 6 Feb 2010, 22:59 (Ref:2628156)   #150
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Well, according to you, the V8's is already a single make championship, so that portion would be easy!
I know, dont feed the trolls, but just incase your not a troll, and just a little stupid

A single make category/car that ISN'T the teams cars that they have invested millions of dollars into, thus putting added cost to the teams with no reward......