Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jun 2008, 06:17 (Ref:2219335)   #126
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar
Croft Incident

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Was The Marshal Knocked Down At Croft On Sunday
Just To Put My Side.yes I Reacted Too Quickly But It Was A Hard Hit And...
All I can say, that style of writing confirms to me that this specific person might not have the maturity nor be organized enough to be involved in such an important and dangerous job as a marshal. Beeing c0o1 and l33T might work fine on forums, but it gets you killed trackside.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2219367)   #127
zakeriath
Racer

Wales
Swansea
zakeriath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
All I can say, that style of writing confirms to me that this specific person might not have the maturity nor be organized enough to be involved in such an important and dangerous job as a marshal. Beeing c0o1 and l33T might work fine on forums, but it gets you killed trackside.
A bit harsh I think, but you need to expand on your term "style of writing", is it down to having capital letters at the start of each word, which happens sometimes when you cut and paste or is it his honesty in admitting the then jumped a bit too early and the followed all the correct procedurs in have the car between him and the track, having a spotter and and going in on a waved yellow flag. Either way I do not understand your logic or reasoning.

The biggest issue here is should have the race started under a SC to remove some of the standing water, as per the Porsche cup at the Monaco GP, which had similar conditions. What happened during the incident that we are discussing is just one of those things, its always nervy going to an incident in the wet where the danger of another car coming straight in a big posibilty. During the first few laps I personaly would like to wait until the last car has gone past, but have seen incidents where you have had a few spinners at prior corners who are then going hell for leather to catch up and then go straight off again, which messes up waiting for the last car strategy.

An old marshal friend of mine at Kyalami always told not to react until the dust has settled (a bit bit difficult in monsoon type rain), but it does give you a little bit of time to assess the situation, plan and react.

Last edited by zakeriath; 4 Jun 2008 at 07:31. Reason: spelling
Old 4 Jun 2008, 07:43 (Ref:2219388)   #128
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakeriath
is it down to having capital letters at the start of each word, which happens sometimes when you cut and paste
Yes, and I don't think it's a cut and paste accident. You can clearly see some words starting with small letter and interpunctuation and spacing in general being sub par. And if you don't see my logic I suggest you ask a behavioral psycologist or person reading CVs and making decisions for whom to hire to responsibility requiring work if they think the person writing like that is likely to be suitable for high risk work.

Quote:
An old marshal friend of mine at Kyalami always told not to react until the dust has settled (a bit bit difficult in monsoon type rain), but it does give you a little bit of time to assess the situation, plan and react.
Very wise words.

Last edited by stedevil; 4 Jun 2008 at 07:45.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 07:47 (Ref:2219391)   #129
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, and I don't think it's a cut and paste accident. You can clearly see some words starting with small letter and interpunctuation and spacing in general being sub par. And if you don't see my logic I suggest you ask a behavioral psycologist or person reading CVs and making decisions for whom to hire to responsibility requiring work if they think the person writing like that is likely to be suitable for high risk work.

Very wise words.
Sorry - when did a degree in English become a requirement to be a competent Marshal !!
Old 4 Jun 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2219394)   #130
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
And if you don't see my logic I suggest you ask a behavioral psycologist or person reading CVs
Pot, kettle?
Old 4 Jun 2008, 07:57 (Ref:2219400)   #131
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The thread was -Croft BBQ - Think we gone of track a little.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2219409)   #132
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroller
Sorry - when did a degree in English become a requirement to be a competent Marshal !!
What do you mean with a degree in English? Surely even people in Brittain learn the basics of how to write in regular school no?
Old 4 Jun 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2219414)   #133
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Pot, kettle?
It sais more about you than me that you try to make fun of spelling errors from a person communicating in a non native langue of theirs. PM me when you can write perfect Swedish.

Last edited by stedevil; 4 Jun 2008 at 08:14.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2219416)   #134
stroller
Racer

Quote:
What do you mean with a degree in English? Surely even people in Brittain learn the basics of how to write in regular school no?
Its what is known as an "ironic comment"

Questioning someones ability at written english should in no way form a basis as to whether they can do a certain job or not !!

Its a well known fact that Sir Jackie Stewart suffers from dyslexia - Hasn't done him much harm.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 08:23 (Ref:2219427)   #135
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Large letters in almost every word and bad spacing/interpunction are not signs of dyslexia. In fact, the lack of properly doing this is the most detrimental exactly to dyslectic people.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2219433)   #136
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if Hunter Abbott, the driver whose car burst into flames at Oulton Park, asked the marshals to take a literacy examination before they extinguished his burning race suit?

I think the comment is untrue, unkind and unworthy and the conclusions of behavioural psychology taken completely out of context.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2219434)   #137
stroller
Racer

Quote:
Large letters in almost every word and bad spacing/interpunction are not signs of dyslexia. In fact, the lack of properly doing this is the most detrimental exactly to dyslectic people.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2219445)   #138
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix
I wonder if Hunter Abbott, the driver whose car burst into flames at Oulton Park, asked the marshals to take a literacy examination before they extinguished his burning race suit?
I think you are deliberately confusing the issue. We where not discussing putting out fires, but what personality properties are likely to increase the chanse of a marshal to getting himself killed.

I'm also completely baffled over that the fact that some people might not have the personailty to be suitable for the highly demanding task of being a marshal stirs such un uproar in a forum highly frequented by marshals. I hope a lot of marshals understands what Im talking about, or I'm afraid we will have a lot more accidents in the future.

PS You can read my comment of how to act in case of a fire previously in this thread.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2219456)   #139
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think you are deliberately confusing the issue. We where not discussing putting out fires, but what personality properties are likely to increase the chanse of a marshal to getting himself killed.

I'm also completely baffled over that the fact that some people might not have the personailty to be suitable for the highly demanding task of being a marshal stirs such un uproar in a forum highly frequented by marshals. I hope a lot of marshals understands what Im talking about, or I'm afraid we will have a lot more accidents in the future.

PS You can read my comment of how to act in case of a fire previously in this thread.
Its a known fact that marshalls don't cause accidents, its the drivers job to do that.

I can see that there are some people who aren't suited to the job (like any other). But what gives you the right to critcise(sp?) a marshall purely on the way that he has written something?

Mick
Old 4 Jun 2008, 08:57 (Ref:2219459)   #140
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe as it was an internet forum maybe the person did not put effort into their spelling and grammatical work

if your going to pick up on writing and drawing conclusions about people from their tying what do you draw about me from my writing

Last edited by mattt; 4 Jun 2008 at 08:59.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 08:57 (Ref:2219460)   #141
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'm also completely baffled over that the fact that some people might not have the personailty to be suitable for the highly demanding task of being a marshal stirs such un uproar in a forum highly frequented by marshals. .
because, despite what you, the King of Armchair fans and remote pschological testing and assesment think....

They are part of our team, and as such are our friends.

And we look after our own.

thanks for the input, now would you like to return to the fanboy zone??

yes, I know, thats another rap on the knuckles heading my way....
que sera..
Old 4 Jun 2008, 09:09 (Ref:2219471)   #142
marshal_man
Racer

United Kingdom
Taunton, Somerset
marshal_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Just To Put My Side.yes I Reacted Too Quickly But It Was A Hard Hit And My Main Concern Was For The Safety Of Steven."

Personally i dont feel there is any "but's" about it, you shouldnt have been out there when you were especially not in them conditions.

I cant see why 4 of you went and not one, like i have said before there is definatley a training issue.

From what i saw on the tele you could quite easily have been in eye contact with Stephen Jelley before he was hit a second time.

I hope you think before you react next time, a lot of you on Post 8 panicked and that's one the main rules never panic let the dust settle, count to 10, this obviously wasnt done.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2219472)   #143
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
mattt> maybe as it was an internet forum maybe the person did not put effort into their spelling issues

I never once complained about his spelling, Im pointing at the continuous disregard of fundamental writing conventions and making up his own rules. That same behaviour on the race track can get you killed.

Bodysnatcher> we look after our own

Surely that implies to not put people "in the line of fire" that don't have personality characteristics to remain cool under pressure? Blindly attacking and ignoring an important and plausibly valid point might actually lead to the death of that friend you are trying to protect.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2219476)   #144
stu1764
Rookie

England
Blyth,Northumberland.
stu1764 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can i just reply to the gentleman who sugests i have a lower inteligance than his that i marshal at both cars and bikes,i have done BSB,WSBK,MotoGP & F3,BTCC ,plus club car events.I was never under the impression i needed to be a rocket scientist to do all of that.I have marshalled for quite a while now and never until sunday ever been hurt,so i dont think i really deserved the insinuation about my lack of education.If it had come from a fellow orange wearer i would be more upset but seeing as it comes from an armchair marshal i will just laugh quietly and carry on as normal
Old 4 Jun 2008, 09:17 (Ref:2219478)   #145
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
stedevil
but you're attacking somebody from the safety of your armchair by interpreting his written word. You appear to be a keyboard warrior of the highest rank.
(your English seems to be good enough to figure out the other meaning of rank - the one I'd prefer to be utilised)

The man involved has received training, has plenty of experience and has made correct calls in the past.
On occasions it seems that he cannot type fluently, thus damning him in your opinion.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2219480)   #146
stroller
Racer

Quote:
mattt> maybe as it was an internet forum maybe the person did not put effort into their spelling issues

I never once complained about his spelling, Im pointing at the continuous disregard of fundamental writing conventions and making up his own rules. That same behaviour on the race track can get you killed.

Bodysnatcher> we look after our own

Surely that implies to not put people "in the line of fire" that don't have personality characteristics to remain cool under pressure? Blindly attacking and ignoring an important and plausibly valid point might actually lead to the death of that friend you are trying to protect.
This is getting too deep for me. Obviously with my spelling and grammar skills it about time I packed it in.

I seem have been a liablity to all those around me for the last 33 years
Old 4 Jun 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2219481)   #147
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
as he (stu) has just said

Bravo stu1764 - welcome in my team anyday!

now stedevil bugger off before I say something to you that will get me a 60 day ban
Old 4 Jun 2008, 09:37 (Ref:2219493)   #148
marshal_man
Racer

United Kingdom
Taunton, Somerset
marshal_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel this is getting a little petty about spelling etc.

But y stick your nose in that much if you wernt there.

All that needs to be said has been said, there is a training issue, and people panicked on the day and it went against them.

Now i feel we should finish this argument, and im a fine one to say that :-)
Old 4 Jun 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2219498)   #149
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel i have to appologise to all my orange friends as i sent Stedevil in this direction as he was blasting us on the fans forum. I felt that he actually needed to see that we do learn from our mistakes and we are our own worst critics.

I agree with bodysnatcher, if he doesnt do one and leave us be i will be earning myself a lengthy ban off this forum. And i agree with Kieron, we just need to let this go now (maybe if we ignore it it will go away?)

Now can we please start talking about the positives of the weekend please
Old 4 Jun 2008, 09:59 (Ref:2219504)   #150
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu1764
can i just reply to the gentleman who sugests i have a lower inteligance
I never once wrote that. Level of intelligens and remaining calm under pressure are two very different properties. A straigh A student is not more likely to "think first and act later" in a stressed situation than a drop out.

I do however continously refer to your disregard to fundamental writing conventions. The way people write very often is reflected in how they are/behave in real life. They way you write doesn't cause any bodily harm, but if that behaviour of ignoring rules and conventions is carried through to the race track it is dangerous.

And regarding your armchair marshaling comment, while Im not a racetrack marshal, I am educated in trauma & accident rescue techniques and have seen enough car accident victims bleed to death in front of me to feel I still might have a word or two of experience of wisdome to share. As I have written before elsewhere on this forum, I literally swore out loud when I saw the 4 of you wandering out into harms way last Sunday. Please remind each other to stop and think first every time you and your team marshal in the future. Being too eager to help is the best way to get yourself killed. Be calm!

Last edited by stedevil; 4 Jun 2008 at 10:02.
Closed Thread