Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Aug 2011, 03:06 (Ref:2942775)   #126
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sera must have cut the track. The individual lap chart shows that to be a major anomoly especially when you take in P2 results.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 04:03 (Ref:2942790)   #127
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
Ben Small, basically for turning the wrong way in a challenge.
Let me know when they start doing challeneges that are actually relevant to he grand prize. I'll start watching then.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 03:38 (Ref:2943927)   #128
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is basically hyping Andrew Jordan with a couple of models thrown in for good measure.

I mean the guy's won two races in thew BTCC!!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 03:51 (Ref:2943929)   #129
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice of Denyer to tell everyone who was eliminated during the in car cross as well!

Didn't need to watch the show!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 04:18 (Ref:2943936)   #130
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Nice of Denyer to tell everyone who was eliminated during the in car cross as well!

Didn't need to watch the show!
The show was on immediately before the V8 coverage on 7Mate yesterday.. so he didnt really let out a secret..

The show was finally getting to some racing type challenges... another trip to the skidpan with some orange cones, and a run on a Simworx Bathurst simulator stepped it up a lot..

But.. it seems harsher somehow than even the people who get to go to the TopGear runs in their reasonably priced car.

You would imagine it to be difficult to get into an unfamiliar car and just blat it around a coned track... Ms Reid said in her piece that she got too much power on take off.. which in a turbo wouldnt be hard to do... every car is different, to sit in, the clutch, the brakes.. the ABS seems new to these people as almost all of them were chirping merrily under brakes...

Just for the treatment of that poor Renault's gearbox, I would have eliminated Mr Sera... like now! I get that the Holinger sequential is a pull-push setup, much easier arguably than slotting an H pattern... but it doesnt seem intuitive at all... conventional manual boxes do baulk, even in brand new cars.. the answer isnt to let the clutch out and try and bang the gearstick into place... surely worthy of a chat anyway

The Simworx setup looks good... would likely be better in a darkened room to better enhance the 3 screens.. it tells some too.. if you watch some of these guys and girls driving the simulator positively, as in throttle down and go all the time... putting firstly too much stress thru the front tyres... and secondly maintaining a dream that the car has that much grip. It doesnt.

Its interesting that the smoothest looking lap, perhaps in both challenges, was from Ms Swanson. Slower than some.. faster than others.. doesnt seem to hurt the gear.. wonder if that's an omen?

Its also funny to see the insecure boys trying to psyche out the girls. They should be confident enough in their own skills to not have to worry about their competition...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 23 Aug 2011, 02:51 (Ref:2944504)   #131
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The show was on immediately before the V8 coverage on 7Mate yesterday.. so he didnt really let out a secret..
See that is where us poor Northern plebs get it different, it was on after the coverage up here.

You would think that if gear changing is a shortcoming you would practice, practice, practice given that the renaults appear as though they will be the vehicle of choice for the majority of the challenges.
It would appear as though it hasn't been happening.

It would be good to see more of what they do for the remainder of the time, surely they have sessions on the engineering of the cars, the physics of driving, understanding the tyres etc.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2944871)   #132
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two out of the ten 'aspiring racers' eliminated due to mistakes driving around cones ???

Driving a front drive turbo Renault in a car park around a track marked with cones has absolutely zero relevance to finding a driver capable of competing at Bathurst in a V8 powered rear drive Commodore...

It was a great concept & I applauded their initiative but IMHO they have failed to find a range of task's suited to the prize & the show is rapidly turning into a failed publicity stunt.

Worse still, it is possibly destroying the reputations of some of these young drivers in the eyes of future potential sponsors...
Old 23 Aug 2011, 23:31 (Ref:2944872)   #133
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The ads for this week seem to have the drivers doing a swap after running on a race track.. maybe finally they are going to test RACING skills?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 24 Aug 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2945136)   #134
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedreader View Post
Two out of the ten 'aspiring racers' eliminated due to mistakes driving around cones ???

Driving a front drive turbo Renault in a car park around a track marked with cones has absolutely zero relevance to finding a driver capable of competing at Bathurst in a V8 powered rear drive Commodore...
I think the challenges could be better, but if certain people can't keep their focus driving around a few cones in a road car, you have to question their ability to handle 20-30 lap stints around Bathurst in a V8?

Quote:
Worse still, it is possibly destroying the reputations of some of these young drivers in the eyes of future potential sponsors...
I doubt any reputations will be destroyed unfairly. Most of the competitors will never have any chance of getting a V8 drive at Bathurst outside this show. The few who do are/will earn their way by winning in Formula Ford etc...
Old 24 Aug 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2945386)   #135
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I find it funny that a bloke who has raced one for almost 12 months now is questioning whether his experience is high enough to enter the B1000, while these rookies (and their experienced, yet rusty codriver..) reckon they can handle it.

I know who I would be listening to.. and its not the people from this show..
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 26 Aug 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2946320)   #136
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the challenges could be better, but if certain people can't keep their focus driving around a few cones in a road car, you have to question their ability to handle 20-30 lap stints around Bathurst in a V8?
I still feel slalom racing in a road car is not relevant & uses a totally different set of skills so whilst I agree they shouldnt have made the mistakes, it is still street racing against a stop watch in a parking lot...

Quote:
I doubt any reputations will be destroyed unfairly. Most of the competitors will never have any chance of getting a V8 drive at Bathurst outside this show. The few who do are/will earn their way by winning in Formula Ford etc...
I think there are at least one or two that would fair well given a proper chance but putting that to one side, unless a young driver is PHD qualified (parents have dough), how do you think they get the budget's to run a Formula Ford & prove themselves... ?

Anyway, am not trying to be smart. Like you, I feel the 'tests' set to date have been a bit lame & are not a true indication of a racers abilty - unless we are talking Gymkana's & other car club events...
Old 28 Aug 2011, 08:11 (Ref:2947064)   #137
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Onto this week's instalment... and we wonder again at some of the challenges put in front of the contestants...

There were body strength tests, some pushes on a leg weight machine, some barbell lifting... most of which showed up virtually all of them! The leg weight one was probably most concerning as at least one of the contestants didnt seem to have their back and hips in the right spot to use the power of their legs correctly... could possibly have caused an injury, or worse... Mr Sera was woeful on this task... he looked just so uncomfortable during the exercise.. not good..

Notably, Mr Denyer did not participate..

Then there were the running games.. which would likely have made sense in week 1, to separate the contestants with physical endurance, and aerobic fitness. Ms Reid stopped quite early in one of these events and was keeling over, out of breath badly... again, a simple exercise that should have just been a test of speed rather than ability to complete the task... odd...

The driving challenge was finally a cue for the squad to get a run in a car again... a codriver swap.. a trip round the cones on the flat pad again... lots and lots of wheelspin... wonder if the traction control was switched off? Poor little Renault... especially when Mr Sera did his 'clutch out, oops its not in gear, oh well lets smash it into 2nd anyway' magic trick.

No surprise at the end of the day's events to learn that Mr Sera was invited to leave the building.

This leaves Mr Waters, Mr Foster, Mr Jordan, Ms Swanson and Ms Reid in the competition....

Next week looks like they pilots get to have a broken down car, and detect what is wrong with it. Its arguable whether all the current KR pilots could pass this challenge
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 29 Aug 2011, 01:00 (Ref:2947413)   #138
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if KR meant to give everyone a look at what I guess will be the next Pepsi Max Crew Livery?

Old 29 Aug 2011, 02:44 (Ref:2947426)   #139
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
Quote:
This leaves Mr Waters, Mr Foster, Mr Jordan, Ms Swanson and Ms Reid in the competition....

Next week looks like they pilots get to have a broken down car, and detect what is wrong with it. Its arguable whether all the current KR pilots could pass this challenge
So you can eliminate the two females after that lot of challenges. They don't have the endurance or the strength. Which leaves the three guys, somehow I don't think they got Andrew Jordan all the way out here for a holiday. All they are doing is ensuring he is up to the job. That is IMO of course.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 04:52 (Ref:2947443)   #140
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Discounting the females could leave you quite suprised, sizzle. It's still 50:50 at this point.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 06:11 (Ref:2947465)   #141
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Thought it was strange to see Dave eliminated, bit more experience in cars and he'll be right.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 06:46 (Ref:2947471)   #142
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
I wonder if KR meant to give everyone a look at what I guess will be the next Pepsi Max Crew Livery?

All this was filmed a while back though wasn't it?
Old 29 Aug 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2947514)   #143
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
All this was filmed a while back though wasn't it?
Yeah after taking a second look it also has the wrong windscreen banner (It's Kelly Racing, but they're now using 'Glass Assist') and I can't see any of the normal secondary sponsor's.

Maybe a painted up Ride Car? It definitely doesn't look at all like any of the previous Pepsi Max Cars that they've run this year.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 09:13 (Ref:2947527)   #144
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
It was filmed after Winton I think
Old 29 Aug 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2947591)   #145
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Poor little Renault... especially when Mr Sera did his 'clutch out, oops its not in gear, oh well lets smash it into 2nd anyway' magic trick.

No surprise at the end of the day's events to learn that Mr Sera was invited to leave the building.
Seems like a wasted talent... 22 years old with ambitions to race sedans and he hasn't even bothered to learn how to drive a manual gearbox! Not to mention the lack of fitness.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2947614)   #146
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
........ It definitely doesn't look at all like any of the previous Pepsi Max Cars that they've run this year.
You can tell?!
Old 29 Aug 2011, 13:02 (Ref:2947642)   #147
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
On a side note i'm suprised no one has taken Hayley out yet, I know I would be!
Old 5 Sep 2011, 07:23 (Ref:2950981)   #148
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So it was on again yesterday.. and FINALLY.. the management of the process is talking about competitiveness of the prospective Bathurst pilots relative to each other!

There was an NRMA/RACV/RACQ/RACSA/RACWA challenge... where a BMW needed some attention to the battery, and the pilots needed to find the battery to do what they needed to do to it. Sounds fine in theory.. the battery is in the boot, for better weight distribution, and because there is no room under the bonnet...

What had me wondering when watching this challenge is that if the team hasnt been over the car with the driver before the race, to know where the battery is, to know where the fuses/circuit breakers live, to show them how to reset them if they blow... then the team would likely be at fault, more than the pilot.

Every race car is different, every road car is different... its just the way of the world. If they really wanted to embarrass the crew, they might have picked up a Citroen.. and completely confused, as logic is defied in almost all areas of their cars It seemed like a 'nothing' exercise...

The pilots also went thru another of the gymkhana courses, some wheel spinning, flick turns, all that kind of showboating stuff (maybe they think these guys & gals are going to win, so they need to know how to do post race burnouts )

Anyhow.. the Brothers Kelly confirmed there were only 2 times out of the 5 within 107% of the fastest time. In reality that means 1 was within 107% of the first one (who you suspect, but dont know, may have been Mr Jordan...). The rest... blah...

The Renaults have very small back windows, and wouldnt be a lot of fun to see out of the rear.. I suppose the assumption is that if you are fast enough, you dont need to see behind you as nobody is there But they werent being belted... and that impacted the times..

Would love to see what a benchmark time from one of the boys in Black with the Bathurst trophies in their games rooms may have looked like... to compare...

So the contestant going home this week is...

I wonder how Ms Swanson managed to get back to Kelly Racing in time for the show, after being at Ken Block's Melbourne madness all day?

4 left...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 5 Sep 2011, 07:38 (Ref:2950997)   #149
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Hayley's gone? Well this show just lost its credibility
Old 5 Sep 2011, 09:29 (Ref:2951043)   #150
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Well this show just lost its credibility
since when did so called reality shows have any of that??