Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Aug 2024, 21:10 (Ref:4222677)   #126
SV8Predator
Racer

SV8Predator User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahobson98 View Post
A season in F4 is ballpark 300-350k+ depending on the team
And the rest! Your figures were "about" correct 4 or 5 years ago.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 21:11 (Ref:4222679)   #127
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahobson98 View Post
A season in F4 is ballpark 300-350k+ depending on the team
Not if you want to win it isn't.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 21:12 (Ref:4222680)   #128
SV8Predator
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
think nearly everyone here could have come up with something better and cheaper

You're correct! I'm sure all the experts on here, with all their motorsport, engineering and automotive industry experience (like your good self), would definitely come up with something more suitable.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 21:16 (Ref:4222682)   #129
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't we have a junior touring car series many years ago. They were basically space frame cars which resembled two door mondeos. I think the series lasted about 3 seasons. Repairs were expensive as were the cars initially. Some of the young drivers did go on to bigger things, but for the life of me, I can't remember who.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 21:18 (Ref:4222683)   #130
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV8Predator View Post

You're correct! I'm sure all the experts on here, with all their motorsport, engineering and automotive industry experience (like your good self), would definitely come up with something more suitable.
you see what overpaid hack managers can do, see Boeing

or the British Leyland dudes who managed to destroy the worlds fifth largest car maker

heck anyone here could tell that body shell is ugly and send the designers back to the drawing board and if they continue to fail hire others , maybe italian ones

one thing what this managers lack is something called common sense
Old 13 Aug 2024, 21:47 (Ref:4222686)   #131
Petoli
Racer

United Kingdom
Petoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Didn't we have a junior touring car series many years ago. They were basically space frame cars which resembled two door mondeos. I think the series lasted about 3 seasons. Repairs were expensive as were the cars initially. Some of the young drivers did go on to bigger things, but for the life of me, I can't remember who.
You thinking of T-Cars

Run from 1999 to 2007

They were basically what you describe they were though powered by a Vauxhall engine and had what looked like the front of a 1st gen Audi A4 with the rear of a mid 90s Honda Civic Saloon

Tom Chilton, Max Chilton, Jolyn Palmer all raced at some point
Old 13 Aug 2024, 21:56 (Ref:4222687)   #132
SV8Predator
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
one thing what this managers lack is something called common sense
No "managers" involved in the new TOCA Junior car.

Not really sure what your point is?

With your scathing comments, I presume you were there this evening at Daventry, and actually saw the car?
Old 13 Aug 2024, 22:10 (Ref:4222688)   #133
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoli View Post
You thinking of T-Cars

Run from 1999 to 2007

They were basically what you describe they were though powered by a Vauxhall engine and had what looked like the front of a 1st gen Audi A4 with the rear of a mid 90s Honda Civic Saloon

Tom Chilton, Max Chilton, Jolyn Palmer all raced at some point
Thanks for that. I couldn't remember what they were called. Saw them a few times at Donington and Mallory. Driving standards were terrible, rather like the junior Ginetta series, but they were kids after all.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 22:15 (Ref:4222690)   #134
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
With a 309 back end
Attachment 81292
Not sure what went wrong there - let's try again
Name:  Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 20-51-49 TOCA Junior Championship We’re delighted to reveal the Chevr.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  152.6 KB
Old 14 Aug 2024, 08:16 (Ref:4222703)   #135
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This page may have been on the website for a while, and I hadn't observed it, but found it interesting there is now a 'Sustainability' section on the official website: https://btcc.net/sustainability/

Supposedly being updated in the coming weeks, I wonder if this will connect with 2026/27 regulations and maybe a move toward more sustainable fuel/carbon neutrality.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 08:24 (Ref:4222704)   #136
PeterY
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
PeterY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Lane Lurker View Post
£94k for a car.
£35k entry.

Oh dear.
Ginetta juniors was criticised for being too expensive. what they have done it create a series that will cost far more, cars that can only be used in one place and then don't look particularly special either. seems a bit out of touch.

I can't see it taking off in the current climate but happy to be proved wrong if the racing is as entertaining as Ginetta juniors was
Old 14 Aug 2024, 08:57 (Ref:4222706)   #137
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV8Predator View Post
No "managers" involved in the new TOCA Junior car.

Not really sure what your point is?
so who is responsable for this overpriced turd ??
Old 14 Aug 2024, 09:58 (Ref:4222716)   #138
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great concept regards to it been a junior champ

The car looks dreadful and outdated

Would like to of seen the old production car cup reignited
Or something along those lines…
Old 14 Aug 2024, 11:19 (Ref:4222722)   #139
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.excelr8motorsport.com/excelr8-open-to-collaboration-as-btcc-seeks-expansion/

Excler8 are open to supplying cars or technical support to any new teams looking to join the series.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 12:52 (Ref:4222733)   #140
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Looks like the "Homer" car.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 14:12 (Ref:4222736)   #141
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still its good the 8-12 age group were involved - I wonder if the winning designer gets a Blue Peter badge? How does a plain sheet opportunity end up like that?!
Old 14 Aug 2024, 14:21 (Ref:4222738)   #142
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cost is obviously an issue; however, as to the aesthetics of the car, does it really matter? Surely the most important factor is if the car will provide good racing for the youngsters and that parts/body panels are readily available and the cars are quick and simple to repair.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 14:42 (Ref:4222740)   #143
st-dave
Rookie

st-dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://btcc.net/covers-officially-c...-launch-event/
Old 14 Aug 2024, 14:51 (Ref:4222741)   #144
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
This page may have been on the website for a while, and I hadn't observed it, but found it interesting there is now a 'Sustainability' section on the official website: https://btcc.net/sustainability/

Supposedly being updated in the coming weeks, I wonder if this will connect with 2026/27 regulations and maybe a move toward more sustainable fuel/carbon neutrality.
It's been for a while there but also caught my attention. To stay relevant, BTCC definitely needs to join the sustainability bandwagon and implementing hybrid two years ago is certainly part of that. Wonder what more is coming but certainly it is, perhaps linked to new generation of cars.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 16:48 (Ref:4222750)   #145
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all very well and good having a new series on the bill but if it's going to have the same sort of coverage that the other supports get then there isn't much point. Hopefully, with it being a TOCA-branded championship, Gow will force ITV into actually giving a crap about it. Don't want it to be like Minis where only 2 of the last 5 races have been broadcast.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 17:18 (Ref:4222753)   #146
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusH26 View Post
https://www.excelr8motorsport.com/excelr8-open-to-collaboration-as-btcc-seeks-expansion/

Excler8 are open to supplying cars or technical support to any new teams looking to join the series.
So are nearly every team on the grid who build their own cars. Last year there was a story about Alliance (Napa) saying pretty much exactly the same thing.

Being open to supplying customer cars, and having a customer wanting cars, are two very different things
Old 14 Aug 2024, 17:30 (Ref:4222754)   #147
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
So are nearly every team on the grid who build their own cars. Last year there was a story about Alliance (Napa) saying pretty much exactly the same thing.

Being open to supplying customer cars, and having a customer wanting cars, are two very different things
Summer break, no racing, gotta keep those eyeballs feasting on the lovely company and sponsor branding!
Old 14 Aug 2024, 18:16 (Ref:4222763)   #148
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
It's all very well and good having a new series on the bill but if it's going to have the same sort of coverage that the other supports get then there isn't much point. Hopefully, with it being a TOCA-branded championship, Gow will force ITV into actually giving a crap about it. Don't want it to be like Minis where only 2 of the last 5 races have been broadcast.
I would imagine TOCA Juniors will get 2 televised races on Sundays. If its first ever race is on the Saturday of Donington Park in 2025, that individual race may get tacked onto the ITV YouTube stream for BTCC Rd1 Qualifying.

It is frustrating with the MINIs that we have probably only seen 6 live races plus maybe a further 2 in highlight form their 16 races thus far this year. Its not though a case of Gow "forc[ing] ITV into actually giving a crap about it" - blame the contracts and sponsorship. Porsche presumably put some significant money into TOCA and thus get some very nice race scheduling.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 19:52 (Ref:4222766)   #149
AJD
Rookie

AJD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just been having a thought. How many Ginetta junior drivers go on to forge a career in the BTCC? I can't remember many but that might just be me.

If this new junior series is actually been billed as a feeder series to the BTCC then maybe a few of the bigger teams may be interested in entering with some up and coming talent.

Otherwise we might as well just have a junior Mini championship that would then lead into the other Mini championships which now seem to be the closest thing to a BTCC feeder that we have after the Clio cup left.
Old 14 Aug 2024, 20:54 (Ref:4222771)   #150
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD View Post
Just been having a thought. How many Ginetta junior drivers go on to forge a career in the BTCC? I can't remember many but that might just be me.

If this new junior series is actually been billed as a feeder series to the BTCC then maybe a few of the bigger teams may be interested in entering with some up and coming talent.
Tom Ingram and Jake Hill are the most high profile examples. There's been a few more who have driven both, many just doing the occasional round. There are many more example of ex Ginetta Jr drivers who have since gone on to a GT/Sportscar career

It's not going to be a direct feeder into BTCC. You are going to need to be an exceptional talent and/or an exception budget to jump from Jrs straight into BTCC.