Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 Jun 2024, 10:01 (Ref:4215659)   #1576
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Steve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The n°5 Porsche did spend 10 minutes (4 visits) less in the pitlane than any of the podium holders. Such a shame that this kind of performance is no longer rewarded those days.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 10:04 (Ref:4215660)   #1577
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooky View Post
The ACO email this morning says we had 329,000 spectators.

So is that a record if last year was from what I can see 325,000?
Apparently the 329,000 is indeed a record. Ferrari mentioned that on their website race review:
Quote:
.....The official Ferrari – AF Corse team’s 499P number 50 crossed the chequered flag first after 311 laps to the applause of the 329,000 spectators in attendance (a record for the 24 Hours of Le Mans). Nicklas Nielsen, who shared the cockpit with Miguel Molina and Antonio Fuoco, drove the car to the finish line.....
https://www.ferrari.com/en-AE/hyperc...eport?amp=true
Old 17 Jun 2024, 10:11 (Ref:4215662)   #1578
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some snaps of the weekend - Nikon D3400 and 55-200 zoom lens.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBvvnC

Taking the big camera next year !
Old 17 Jun 2024, 10:50 (Ref:4215664)   #1579
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQ View Post
The n°5 Porsche did spend 10 minutes (4 visits) less in the pitlane than any of the podium holders. Such a shame that this kind of performance is no longer rewarded those days.
Too many safety cars
Old 17 Jun 2024, 10:59 (Ref:4215668)   #1580
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
… In essence double fixed race, first with BOP that gave Porsches and Caddy absolutely zero chance of fight and no corrections despite obvious signs that Ferraris were sandbagging and later with race control being lenient for the red cars.
The race was FIXED! I presume that you think the members of the ACO should go to prison? It’s a serious accusation you make there and involves a lot of money. I know you wouldn’t do it lightly.

I’ve never seen such an open and shut case. The evidence you have must be overwhelming. Are you keeping it back because of legal proceedings? Obviously your post doesn’t have of this evidence in it.

I won’t be watching this sham anymore.

Sent from Le Mans
Old 17 Jun 2024, 11:04 (Ref:4215670)   #1581
PhilipR
Veteran

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Regarding Lotterer only doing 3h30m, I thought the minimum drive time for everyone was 6 hours?
Quite sadened to see Andre so off the pace. He was one of my favs in the Audi days and a reason why I enjoy seeing the number 6 having success but it does seem the car is carried by Estre and Vanthoor.

He was slower in Qatar as well but Laurens explained that in his podcast as an issue with the tire and not his pace, but here he was way off the pace. He did mention struggling with the LMDh which is more gt than prototype. But then again Porsche must have kept him on for a reason when they have so many other fast drivers availabe. If FE rumours are true Da Costa might be availble again from next year
Old 17 Jun 2024, 11:15 (Ref:4215674)   #1582
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The race was FIXED! I presume that you think the members of the ACO should go to prison? It’s a serious accusation you make there and involves a lot of money. I know you wouldn’t do it lightly.

I’ve never seen such an open and shut case. The evidence you have must be overwhelming. Are you keeping it back because of legal proceedings? Obviously your post doesn’t have of this evidence in it.

Anyone can think whatever they wish. For me some things weren't right, you don't have to agree.
https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne...gging/10624123
Both Ferrari and Toyota were significantly quicker in a straight line. In general they needed only few tenths per lap advantage to be able to blast past the Porsches on the straight or even no laptime advantage, just a small glitch in traffic for the car ahead. The other way around it was so much different, Vanthoor was gaining 1+ sec per lap on Buemi during night but when he caught he couldn't do anything to overtake. Same happened again in the fight for 3rd in the last stint of the race.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 11:41 (Ref:4215678)   #1583
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
They might take Andlauer back from Proton.
Andlauer would be my choice. Da Costa is a good shout but Andlauer can take the experience from Vanthoor/Estre (just as they have done from Lotterer) and pay it forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Honestly I'm not getting the Lopez hate. Yes he spun, but overall his stints were pretty damn good.
I think Lopez was arguably the ideal driver at the time, with the most experience with GT-adjacent cars in adverse conditions. Regardless, he had a great race stepping in at short notice, it's a shame he didn't quite drag #7 to the top step.

Quote:
What mattered was race control allowing the 50 to complete well over half a stint with broken door. Had they been called to the pits immediately (as it should have been), they'd have had to do a splash at the end.
Devil's advocate - how many laps was the #99 allowed to stay on-track before the door was eventually fixed? I know La Sarthe is much longer, but they may have used Spa as a precedent.

No such qualifiers about #51 though, that should have been a drive-through; Peir Guidi can consider himself rather lucky.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 11:46 (Ref:4215680)   #1584
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipR View Post
Quite sadened to see Andre so off the pace. He was one of my favs in the Audi days and a reason why I enjoy seeing the number 6 having success but it does seem the car is carried by Estre and Vanthoor.

He was slower in Qatar as well but Laurens explained that in his podcast as an issue with the tire and not his pace, but here he was way off the pace. He did mention struggling with the LMDh which is more gt than prototype. But then again Porsche must have kept him on for a reason when they have so many other fast drivers availabe. If FE rumours are true Da Costa might be availble again from next year
Da Costa would be a great pick for the #6 imo, #5 also needs a freshen up, maybe Andleur for Christensen or Mako.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 12:20 (Ref:4215685)   #1585
PhilipR
Veteran

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
Da Costa would be a great pick for the #6 imo, #5 also needs a freshen up, maybe Andleur for Christensen or Mako.
But if FE rumours are true - Nico Muller might also be available to Porsche as well

But Porsche prefer to keep their FE drivers separate from WEC and IMSA
Old 17 Jun 2024, 12:21 (Ref:4215686)   #1586
PhilipR
Veteran

Romania
London
Quote:
Anyone can think whatever they wish. For me some things weren't right, you don't have to agree.
https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne...gging/10624123
Both Ferrari and Toyota were significantly quicker in a straight line. In general they needed only few tenths per lap advantage to be able to blast past the Porsches on the straight or even no laptime advantage, just a small glitch in traffic for the car ahead. The other way around it was so much different, Vanthoor was gaining 1+ sec per lap on Buemi during night but when he caught he couldn't do anything to overtake. Same happened again in the fight for 3rd in the last stint of the race.
BOP cannot equalise everything - I could see the Porsche a lot faster than the Ferrari in the Porsche curves, it could be that Porsche went for a bit more downforce that negated top speed, or the way they employ the hybrid could mean slower top speed.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 12:23 (Ref:4215687)   #1587
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Sent from Le Mans
I'm with you, I will no longer be watching the 2024 LM24
Old 17 Jun 2024, 12:45 (Ref:4215692)   #1588
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Steve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
BOP cannot equalise everything - I could see the Porsche a lot faster than the Ferrari in the Porsche curves, it could be that Porsche went for a bit more downforce that negated top speed, or the way they employ the hybrid could mean slower top speed.
Porsche complained about 2 or 3 kph... I am pretty sure that 1mm of ground clearance more or less can produce the same effect. BoP can not be responsible for every small detail in a car performance. Teams and drivers should learn that quickly.
I am very disappointed, but not surprised by Kevin Estre's reaction after the race, slamming Ferrari and Toyota for sandbagging before LM24. Of course they were ! And if you were stupid enough to not do the same, please don't show it afterwards.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 14:28 (Ref:4215700)   #1589
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be fair, with the data-led BoP you shouldn't be able to sandbag at all. So if they think it's worked then Porsche have a legit grievance (although I don't think they do).

I thought the BOP was working well, nine cars still on the lead lap at the end of the race is extraordinary. I thought the 51's penalty was lenient, but to be honest it was obviously understeering rather than a deliberate punt so I wouldn't have expected too much more. (Fixed? )

I was asleep for most of the nigh-time safety car, but the others did feel like they dragged a little. I'm not entirely sure how they fix that. I don't think they should get rid of the merge as I think it helps the race overall. I know it's not 'pure' but it's 2024, and entertainment is important for the future.

I really enjoyed this year's race. There are still things to work on from both the teams and the ACO, but no reason at all why 2025 can't be even more incredible.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 16:01 (Ref:4215712)   #1590
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post

I thought the BOP was working well, nine cars still on the lead lap at the end of the race is extraordinary. .
This wasn't the result of the BOP. This was the result of the safety cars giving other cars the lap back multiple times during the race. Without safety cars there would not have been more than 2-3 cars on the lead lap.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 16:03 (Ref:4215714)   #1591
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQ View Post
Porsche complained about 2 or 3 kph... I am pretty sure that 1mm of ground clearance more or less can produce the same effect. BoP can not be responsible for every small detail in a car performance. Teams and drivers should learn that quickly.
"2-3km/h" doesn't really hit the point home. In fact, it trivializes it. On the surface you think it's a small factor, but the amount of "drag power" that equals 2-3km/h at 330km/h is large because drag follows a cubic law with respect to velocity. To increase your top speed by 1 km/h at 330km/h requires a lot more power. It just underlines how the Ferrari with it's aero efficiency is so far away in the performance window that it's worth more than a couple kW difference in the BOP table.

Last edited by Articus; 17 Jun 2024 at 16:13.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 16:07 (Ref:4215715)   #1592
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Of course it does, what I mean is that those 2 or 3 kph missing may not be BoP related. There are tons of factors going in, including atmospheric pressure !
Old 17 Jun 2024, 16:38 (Ref:4215718)   #1593
Matador
Veteran

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Andlauer would be my choice. Da Costa is a good shout but Andlauer can take the experience from Vanthoor/Estre (just as they have done from Lotterer) and pay it forwards.

I think Lopez was arguably the ideal driver at the time, with the most experience with GT-adjacent cars in adverse conditions. Regardless, he had a great race stepping in at short notice, it's a shame he didn't quite drag #7 to the top step.

Devil's advocate - how many laps was the #99 allowed to stay on-track before the door was eventually fixed? I know La Sarthe is much longer, but they may have used Spa as a precedent.

No such qualifiers about #51 though, that should have been a drive-through; Peir Guidi can consider himself rather lucky.

Shame indeed.

Thing is with the 99, most of that time was behind a safety car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
This wasn't the result of the BOP. This was the result of the safety cars giving other cars the lap back multiple times during the race. Without safety cars there would not have been more than 2-3 cars on the lead lap.

The night time safety car was atrociously long. That being said, I think without it, Toyota might have actually walked everyone else (except maybe the 83 Ferrari). So annoyed that I went to sleep watching Toy-Porsche-Toy to wake up to Ferrari-Toyota-Ferrari.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 16:44 (Ref:4215720)   #1594
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just curious: How many of you guys actually slept on Saturday night?
Old 17 Jun 2024, 17:02 (Ref:4215722)   #1595
Matador
Veteran

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT240Z View Post

Dozed off about an hour into the weather safety car and work up about an hour after it ended. So maybe caught about 4 hrs.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 17:09 (Ref:4215724)   #1596
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It was partly the result of BOP I would argue. Yes we had four hours of safety car overnight and a couple of other SC sessions, but before that I didn't see the top six dropping speed at such a rate as they would have lost the lead lap.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 17:12 (Ref:4215725)   #1597
Articus
Veteran

Quote:

Porsche confirmed that Lotterer was not unwell.

Quote:
***Lotterer, of note, completed only 3 hours and 47 minutes of drive time in the race, with Vanthoor nearly racking up 12 hours and Estre with eight hours. A Porsche Penske spokesperson confirmed that Lotterer was not unwell.
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...e-notebook-10/

Sadly he's just not been quick with this new type of car. It's a tough sport and Porsche doesn't wait around to replace drivers. I expect Julian Andlauer to join the #6 crew next year. I think Andlauer is very fast, but will need to be reigned in a bit (i.e taking less risk).
Old 17 Jun 2024, 17:17 (Ref:4215727)   #1598
Plex
Rookie

Plex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT240Z View Post

About 4 hrs max. This is race don’t want to miss.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 17:31 (Ref:4215731)   #1599
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think Andlauer is very fast, but will need to be reigned in a bit (i.e taking less risk).
Then the #6 is ideal for Andlauer, given that Vanthoor & Estre have both gone through that exact driver development over the past couple of years
Old 17 Jun 2024, 17:43 (Ref:4215732)   #1600
Toyotats03OUS
Veteran

United States
U.S.A
Toyotats03OUS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So has/is going to say anything regarding the number 50 running and allow to run with one light out for half of the race? I remember Porsche and Toyota at one point in the past forced to come in to fix a light that was not working, so how was Ferrari allow to run without one light?

I am obviously upset that Toyota lost, but we can’t deny that there were lots of inconsistency with the RC calling the race for Ferrari. The light, the door open for 8 laps, the useless penalty for taking a car that was leading the race with a margin the double infringement that they completely dismiss for both the 50 and 51 (btw the RC was swift with this investigation, every other penalty that they were looking into was talking them 3 business days) and definitely winning the race, the unsafe realese and what about track limits? Ferrari was using the race track as an option!