Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Aug 2015, 11:46 (Ref:3568888)   #1576
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Even the Rolex has fallen far from its one-time glory, once GA took over, and that was the one race they really pushed as a big thing.

Sebring (sadly) could be about to experience a similar diminution.

Even so, no way Sebring should be anything but 12 hours ... and no reason I can see the cut the Glen from six.

If Tudor really wanted to save money for the teams, the whole NAEC should go, and all races should be two to three hours, eight or nine rounds per season, with scrutineering and practice Saturday, qualifying and racing Sunday.

Hotel rooms and food for the crews are a huge expense, and cutting a day would save a ton of cash. Wear and tear would be reduced, as would tire usage. And after all, who says the Rolex 24 needs to be 24 hours, or that Sebring has to be anything special?

Well ... most of the fans, actually.

I am not saying it's an easy balance to find, but the series needs to balance fan interest with teams' operating costs. I am not saying anyone is right or wrong, but judging from everything I have read and everyone I have talked to, the vast majority of sports car fans value tradition and decidedly want certain races to run their traditional lengths.

Already some people won't go to Sebring since it is no longer international, and the Rolex has lost both fans and stature ... Diluting the schedule to save money could cost a lot of fans.

Between weak fields, lame prototypes, and BoP'd GTE fields, sports car racing (well, sports car "endurance" racing) in North America has really lost its luster in the past several years. Maybe the form no longer functions---maybe there simply isn't sufficient audience for the sport in North America.

Maybe Tudor should bite the bullet and stage a pair of sprint races at each venue a la PWC or Blancpain sprints and just forget longer races---that would cut costs tremendously. I'd hate it, but if that's the only way to keep sports car racing alive here ....

But I am not convinced that that is the case. I think Tudor has misjudged the audience, has made a bunch of cost- and business-philosophy-driven rules changes which have hurt the sport, and has been unwilling to invest enough in its own premier sports car series, and if it continues, could be forced to fold eventually.

I keep looking at IndyCar as an example---the series split, the two halves couldn't survive simultaneously, the audience fractured, the sponsors fled, and now it is taking a long time (and a lot of unrecouped investment) to even try to dig the series out of the hole it is dug into.

I'd say Tudor needs at least five years of steady promotion investment to even have a chance to be self-sustaining at a level which is worth reaching (something more than glorified club racing) and sadly it will be more than five years before the series gets decent cars ...

Hopefully even with spec racers, different engine options will provide enough competition (supposing everything isn't BoP'd to death) Tudor will be worth watching after 2017. If the management can't allow some cars to succeed and others to fail, and follows its current plan of micromanaging competition through AoP, well ... they might find that they have managed to be the next failed North American sports car series.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3568903)   #1577
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Theoretically IMSA has the possibility to open up the new, restricted prototype regs anytime they want and let more chassis constructors (I'm sure Ginetta could sell a few cars over here) plus - more importantly - multiple tire manufacturers in.

I don't see something like that happening, knowing how conservative their leaders are with regard to car development.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 14:05 (Ref:3568919)   #1578
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If they let in more cars and widened up the technology spectrum, they'd "have" to balance the chassis and aeros in the wind tunnel for 6 to 7 days instead of 5. That would mean paying extra salaries for the people working that weekend, rent increases, and keeping the catering in place. The BoP committee would also have to invest in more modern espresso maker in order to fuel them up through the weekly meetings now lasting four hours instead of 3 hours and 45 minutes, which also means that they cannot avoid rush hour in Daytona Beach traffic. I suppose you could reschedule the timing of the meetings as well as terminate the short recess from the middle of the meeting to make up time, but then you would have to ask mr Atherton or Bennet to ratify such changes in the company policy procedures, but as we know they are REALLY busy men taking great care of their 100,000 dollar leasing contract work cars on the way to business lunches at 5 star dining. So it's a definite no no.

Last edited by Deleted; 26 Aug 2015 at 14:12.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 14:25 (Ref:3568926)   #1579
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Probably a cut of LMPC and GTD to 10 races. And I betcha IMSA is at least considering reducing Watkins Glen to 4 hours due to costs management especially with the back to back with CTMP.
LOL. You have no basis for these assumptions.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 15:31 (Ref:3568934)   #1580
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
With the way BoP is managed, it is always difficult to decipher whether advantages have been gained in the boardroom, or actual hard work. I know they are all working hard to make gains, yet...

But my point, these new tire compounds... yes everybody has them, but as we've seen other times, there are times that certain compounds will favour one chassis more than another. That is certainly a possibility with what has happened here. The problem is that these are more sprint race tires, for the heat, and might not be an effective compound come PLM. Porsche might get yanked back, only to be on the regular compounds and be disadvantaged... interesting game being played out.
The sprint compound tires will not be available to teams at PLM.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 15:49 (Ref:3568938)   #1581
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The 6 hours fell into obscurity in the 90's (along with many other NA events), but maybe it would have resurfaced better had it continued with IMSA into the ALMS, and not succumbed to the sinkhole of Grand-Am. There only was one race in GA people recognized and took notice, and that wasn't Glen 6h
I won't always agree with anyone 100%.....

But this point, is about as solid as it gets.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 26 Aug 2015, 18:27 (Ref:3568971)   #1582
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Black Swan has bought a new Porsche for a return to IMSA.

Buh-bye PWC and Mercedes.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 26 Aug 2015, 18:46 (Ref:3568977)   #1583
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
report: http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...-catsburg.html

No word on the recently acquired Viper, shame if we wouldn't see it back.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 19:19 (Ref:3568990)   #1584
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first of many, and it's good to see these teams coming to their senses.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 19:26 (Ref:3568991)   #1585
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well that's interesting that a week or so after Mercedes said they wanted to run in the Rolex 24 that both of their PWC teams announced programs in which they would be running other cars next year.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 20:48 (Ref:3569010)   #1586
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim Pappas after the swap to the Viper was saying how expensive it was to get Merc parts, doubt he'll use it ever again. The Viper tho...
Old 26 Aug 2015, 21:36 (Ref:3569023)   #1587
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Well that's interesting that a week or so after Mercedes said they wanted to run in the Rolex 24 that both of their PWC teams announced programs in which they would be running other cars next year.
Not a clue who that second PWC team might be, wasn't Pappas the only one that run a Mercedes?

I believe AMG is looking for a 'factory satellite' team a la Black Falcon, Rowe or HTP (before they switched to Bentley). Klaus Graf is rumored to be involved with the project so maybe 'Rowe Team USA'???
Old 26 Aug 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3569027)   #1588
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Not a clue who that second PWC team might be, wasn't Pappas the only one that run a Mercedes?

I believe AMG is looking for a 'factory satellite' team a la Black Falcon, Rowe or HTP (before they switched to Bentley). Klaus Graf is rumored to be involved with the project so maybe 'Rowe Team USA'???
Dragonspeed, also running the Merc says they will be running P2 in ELMS next season. Whether that's in lieu of or in addition to a GT program I don't know.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 23:16 (Ref:3569040)   #1589
Coach Ep
Veteran

Of course....

Lanky, will you be in the opportunity to visit Sebring tomorrow or Friday? Ford will be testing their new GT there! The car is already spotted in the paddock.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 01:56 (Ref:3569065)   #1590
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So GTD is getting some good news now.

And GTE is getting Fords. The GT classes are coming together nicely next year.

With the P class in a lame duck year.I think it's a another good reason to have split races.

On a more serious note, what to do with PC? As you may know, about the tragedy that occurred at Indycars Pocono race there. Will this influence IMSA to abandon the PC cars and go with the cockpit covered P3s cars next year?
Old 27 Aug 2015, 02:47 (Ref:3569074)   #1591
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
I thought the Glen was getting better attendance since the "merger"
It has.

Substantially.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 02:50 (Ref:3569075)   #1592
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
So GTD is getting some good news now.

And GTE is getting Fords. The GT classes are coming together nicely next year.

With the P class in a lame duck year.I think it's a another good reason to have split races.

On a more serious note, what to do with PC? As you may know, about the tragedy that occurred at Indycars Pocono race there. Will this influence IMSA to abandon the PC cars and go with the cockpit covered P3s cars next year?
The schedule is already out, it is not changing from that. The FLM09 will be the chassis of PC next year. When they do decide on what exactly they are going to do as an upgrade/replacement it may very well have a roof. I highly doubt it will be the P3 chassis that replaces it though.

L.P.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 03:22 (Ref:3569079)   #1593
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Quote:
Of course....

Lanky, will you be in the opportunity to visit Sebring tomorrow or Friday? Ford will be testing their new GT there! The car is already spotted in the paddock.
I just found out about that. I can't get there tomorrow but hopefully Friday morning. It's a bit of a haul for me, 100 miles. Ideally they'd still be there Saturday but I don't think I can count on that.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 12:31 (Ref:3569145)   #1594
Coach Ep
Veteran

I expect it will some sort of 'open' test with journalists and spectators (if any) allowed in. Anyway, greatly appreciate the effort if you do decide to make the haul and no, I wouldn't bet on Sat. either. Thanks!
Old 27 Aug 2015, 12:55 (Ref:3569150)   #1595
Coach Ep
Veteran

With AJR and Black Swan confirming the first 3 new Porsche 991 GT3 for GTD I wonder how many new cars Porsche can produce to be ready for the Rolex 24? With BS taking up one (and there might be other, current non-Porsche runners joining the queue) it might mean we'll see one or more of the current GT America runners being forced out of a new GT3 for Daytona. Currently Magnus and Park Place are the other 2 teams running one car each (with the Wright/Snow car having dropped out after Watkins Glen).

If this scenario was to happen I hope IMSA will let that/those team(s) run their current GT America for Daytona (and possibly Sebring) only in order not to jeopardize their championship (or enduro campaign) efforts.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 13:27 (Ref:3569154)   #1596
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
With AJR and Black Swan confirming the first 3 new Porsche 991 GT3 for GTD I wonder how many new cars Porsche can produce to be ready for the Rolex 24? With BS taking up one (and there might be other, current non-Porsche runners joining the queue) it might mean we'll see one or more of the current GT America runners being forced out of a new GT3 for Daytona. Currently Magnus and Park Place are the other 2 teams running one car each (with the Wright/Snow car having dropped out after Watkins Glen).

If this scenario was to happen I hope IMSA will let that/those team(s) run their current GT America for Daytona (and possibly Sebring) only in order not to jeopardize their championship (or enduro campaign) efforts.
If IMSA is smart they'll allow the 997 GT3 car into the race if there aren't enough new ones to go around.

As for relating the IndyCar accident to LMPC, the IndyCars were averaging about 70 MPH faster on a lap than an LMPC's top speed. While debris intrusion in the cockpit is still an issue, the lower speeds on a road course means it's not as big an issue.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 14:28 (Ref:3569165)   #1597
Coach Ep
Veteran

Yes, I'm sure Oreca is working a top closed version of their possible PC update kit* (if not already included)

*earlier discussed with more info here (from mid July): http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/or...voice-support/
Old 27 Aug 2015, 16:18 (Ref:3569190)   #1598
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
The new GT3R's debut is only Daytona 2016 because Porsche decided to debut the car fully homologated at the start of a season with customers instead of running a one off factory GT3 team in any races this year. The car is ready and I'm sure they'll be running at the November Daytona test.

Nobody that is getting a car for IMSA this season will have problems getting it in time for Daytona.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 16:38 (Ref:3569194)   #1599
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It has.

Substantially.
Do you have actual figures, other than your own 'calculations'?

Also are you comparing it to the 6 hours, or the previously existed 2 hour Sprint Cup support race nobody gave crap about and went home before the race even started?

In any case, the improved numbers over past years can be explained due to it using to be Grand-Am event. It's the same thing as last year when Shank and other old GA talking heads were saying along the lines of "oh but on the positive note the attendances have improved everywhere so the series is doing good there". Even though that's just because the ALMS fan base and it's subsequent trade-off coming to watch this series was always infinitely bigger, and the Rolex people never got to witness that before 2014.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 18:04 (Ref:3569221)   #1600
Coach Ep
Veteran

That doesn't matter Chiana, improved attendance is a positive and with next year's 6H being on Independence Day weekend it has potential to build on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
The new GT3R's debut is only Daytona 2016 because Porsche decided to debut the car fully homologated at the start of a season with customers instead of running a one off factory GT3 team in any races this year. The car is ready and I'm sure they'll be running at the November Daytona test.

Nobody that is getting a car for IMSA this season will have problems getting it in time for Daytona.
Let's hope so, but if - let's say - 8 cars are being ordered by several teams I'm not sure if Porsche can deliver on time.