Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jan 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3194671)   #151
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The journo is the real offender here. If he was expecting Piquet to 'be honest', then he's either a moron or doesn't even know who Nelson Piquet is!

I'm not offended by this simply coz its the Piquet we all know...a clown.

Old 27 Jan 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3194789)   #152
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've done a bit of hunting, but haven't found an article or youtube video were Piquet is saying that. I'm very interested to know what the general brazilian public think of what he said, if he said it?
Old 27 Jan 2013, 07:57 (Ref:3194791)   #153
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
He answered : "I'm alive."
Jackie Stewart says it frequently.Its a turn of phrase used by racing drivers.
Harden up people.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 10:11 (Ref:3194815)   #154
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah but Jackie means it in a completely different sense - most of his peers didn't make it. Piquet was merely exercising his typically poor wit.....

Anyhow, discussion of Piquet obviously has no place in a fastest F1 drivers thread, so perhaps we move on.......
Old 27 Jan 2013, 14:50 (Ref:3194888)   #155
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
I've done a bit of hunting, but haven't found an article or youtube video were Piquet is saying that. I'm very interested to know what the general brazilian public think of what he said, if he said it?
Uhn... I advise you to use Google, and the right words...

http://translate.google.com.br/trans...D.html&act=url

http://translate.google.com.br/trans...3Fquestion%3D0

http://translate.google.com.br/trans...u-vivo&act=url

http://translate.google.com.br/trans...2Bvivo&act=url

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dskIs2wouus

There about more 200 links if you want some more...

Oh, because of this : http://www.youtube.com/user/fordbrasil?v=dqcjxvH1AjE
Old 27 Jan 2013, 14:56 (Ref:3194891)   #156
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Anyhow, discussion of Piquet obviously has no place in a fastest F1 drivers thread, so perhaps we move on....... [/QUOTE]

Oh i don't know, Piquet of 84 vintage was spectacularly fast, probably his best year in my opinion.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3194908)   #157
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Piquet's not lost his knack for unwitty and pointless words.

Who would listen to anything that came out his smug trap anyway?
Old 27 Jan 2013, 16:27 (Ref:3194910)   #158
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
'I'm alive' is just a plain dumb answer to 'who's the best'.

That would be a better answer to who's the 'most successful'.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3194981)   #159
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Oh i don't know, Piquet of 84 vintage was spectacularly fast, probably his best year in my opinion.
Yeah, but in a 'fastest ever' debate, does he seriously rate even passing comment?
Old 27 Jan 2013, 21:58 (Ref:3195034)   #160
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yeah, but in a 'fastest ever' debate, does he seriously rate even passing comment?
probably not no
Old 27 Jan 2013, 23:20 (Ref:3195064)   #161
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where would people rate Piquet amongst the triple champions 'often taken as a measure of true greatness'?

Fangio
Brabham
Stewart
Lauda
Piquet
Prost
Senna
Schumacher
Vettel

And whats would people say set these people apart from the fastest drivers (i know Senna would fit in both categories. But most guys mentioned as fastest drivers didn't necessarily win many or any championships)
Old 28 Jan 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3195283)   #162
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Well, well, Nelson Piquet (Senior) has made one of his infamous remarks this week...

When asked by a journalist : "Be honest, who was the best, you or Senna ?"

He answered : "I'm alive."
It doesn't even make sense as a response.

Also, Piquet had an equally big accident (arguably bigger) to Senna at Indy in 1992. The fact he is alive and Senna isn't is just chance, not skill.

I've bitten haven't I?
Old 28 Jan 2013, 13:40 (Ref:3195300)   #163
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok guys, it was just an off-topic remark and we should go back to topic, please.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 14:04 (Ref:3195306)   #164
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningview66 View Post
Where would people rate Piquet amongst the triple champions 'often taken as a measure of true greatness'?

Fangio
Brabham
Stewart
Lauda
Piquet
Prost
Senna
Schumacher
Vettel

And whats would people say set these people apart from the fastest drivers (i know Senna would fit in both categories. But most guys mentioned as fastest drivers didn't necessarily win many or any championships)
The thing with Piquet is he was deceptively good. He would probably be at the bottom of that triple winners list. The way he attacked Renault and Prost at the end of 1983 was brilliant though.

He seemed a lazy sod for most of his career unfortunately and Mansell really harmed his reputation when they were teamed up. And he also managed the spectacular feat of occasionally being outdriven by Satoru Nakajima at Lotus. I guess his performances were simply a question of motivation and hunger. See how he picked it up again at Benetton with the 'Flavio contract'.

Not close to being the fastest driver in F1 history by any means either, more to the point!
Old 28 Jan 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3195388)   #165
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

Not close to being the fastest driver in F1 history by any means either, more to the point!

There you go! On-topicness re-established!
Old 28 Jan 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3195459)   #166
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

He seemed a lazy sod for most of his career unfortunately and Mansell really harmed his reputation when they were teamed up.
Piquet vs. Mansell

Year_______Wins________Poles________Pstn________Qual________Fl_________Pnts

86_________4/5_________2/2_________7/8_________8/8_________9/7_______69/70
87_________3/6_________4/8_________8/6_________5/10________9/6_______73/61

Piquet was World Champion in 1987 ahead of Mansell, who I believe was being advantaged by Williams.

Last edited by wnut; 28 Jan 2013 at 22:04.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 22:06 (Ref:3195460)   #167
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah on topic. Interestingly the way the question is worded (fastest driver in F1 history) eliminates two of my favourites for the role Nuovolari and Rosemeyer (F1 not being round till 1950).

In F1, its Ascari, Moss, Clark, Villeneuve, Senna, Schumacher (not Ralf ) and Hamilton.

I'm really intrigued by the almost parallel track of the Rodriguez, Brise, Bellof, Guy Moll (pre-war shooting star) discussion. Who could have been on this list had the racing gods been kinder...
Old 28 Jan 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3195462)   #168
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6bwZ4ooTI

Enough said.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3195464)   #169
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Yup!
Old 28 Jan 2013, 22:27 (Ref:3195466)   #170
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

May as well close the thread, IMO.
Old 28 Jan 2013, 22:29 (Ref:3195467)   #171
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I never get tired to watch that video...
Old 28 Jan 2013, 23:11 (Ref:3195480)   #172
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damn how close was he to ramming that other car though, being driven by grandad. That's so bumpy you can barely focus on the walls huh. Awesome stuff.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3195503)   #173
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lighting up the rears in 1st gear 3 times in 1 lap....with only one hand on the wheel!!

Yep real race cars have a H pattern...

Old 29 Jan 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3195693)   #174
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The thing with Piquet is he was deceptively good.
That's a good way of putting it. You would need to have a very high level of integrity to achieve the success he has, despite the disadvantages he appears to have, looking as an outsider (with attitude, lifestyle etc.). Not the fastest F1 driver of all time, but as it turns out, he didn't need to be.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 12:38 (Ref:3195709)   #175
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
That's a good way of putting it. You would need to have a very high level of integrity to achieve the success he has, despite the disadvantages he appears to have, looking as an outsider (with attitude, lifestyle etc.). Not the fastest F1 driver of all time, but as it turns out, he didn't need to be.
But that's not the point of the thread. Ditto Prost, Stewart, Brabham etc..