Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Jun 2012, 12:31 (Ref:3086843)   #151
Tom Barley
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Tom Barley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjtucker View Post
Surely you was younger than 7 Tom? I wasn't born for nearly 20 years after the Marcos was Manufactured! Haha
haha! yeah I meant the 90's when my dad was racing against Bernie, John Young, Chas Mallard, Tim Boles etc in the Camaro that I'm now racing!
Old 7 Jun 2012, 14:57 (Ref:3086917)   #152
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Tuesdays Feature race - the complete race unedited (sorry) - plenty going on in the mirrors as well as in front, lookout for the close call 2nd lap after pit stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfAc2...ature=youtu.be
Cool - very entertaining Moose - I thought this was going to be on the GP track?

Either way I'll be off to look up the full results (better to compare how the V8 lorries go against my little 6 pot). Must get that V8 finished
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:01 (Ref:3086921)   #153
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
The stuff in the 52's is going some!

http://www.tsl-timing.com/amoc/2012/122354v8c.pdf
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:10 (Ref:3086927)   #154
Tom Barley
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
The stuff in the 52's is going some!

http://www.tsl-timing.com/amoc/2012/122354v8c.pdf
Oh yes! No catching them!
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:10 (Ref:3086928)   #155
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
modes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Here is my offering from race 1 the 20 minute sprint, wow that was an exciting race. I made a few bad errors as you can see, the first doing an excursion across the grass which phased me then I let Tim Boles past as I was getting out of someones way, big mistake that of mine as I think I did the same letting the Falcon past then the flags went out at the hairpin which is where I was making ground so that overtaking spot was lost. I also had the wrong rad cap fitted and the temps just rose a tad so I backed out for a few laps till it settled down once I switched the fans on. The oil everywhere didnt help either. When the guy came out with a sign in the marshalling area showing us where the oil spots were which were everywhere I said to him 'wouldnt it be easier to tell us where there was no oil!!' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkGpMRh5_oI
Al
Another good one. Can't say it was boring on the track, so much happening. The Camaro goes really well to say it still has a lot of the production weight left in it, you really need to have a go at that.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3086935)   #156
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barley View Post
Oh yes! No catching them!
I'd hope my new Toy will be up there.

Presume the the Fast MG was one of those one with the Massive arches and rubber?
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:43 (Ref:3086954)   #157
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes it was Jelly, Sports cars are now to be reclassified I understand so another class has been added.

Modes, did you have a go at lifting the rear hatch on the 'Maro, the glass had to be made out of 9mm laminate in its day as it was the largest single piece of automotive glass ever produced at the time, there is an 85lb weight saving in the hatch alone and all the other panels less the bonnet are steel and glass side windows.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:59 (Ref:3086957)   #158
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
I'd hope my new Toy will be up there.

Presume the the Fast MG was one of those one with the Massive arches and rubber?
Jelly
What wide wheel arches?? John's running Khumos on the red beast and he wasn't far off his lap record done on slicks either. But pressured by a similar timed Camaro and Marcos and a few others not too far away..... what a Grid!

So your building up from the Triumph then? Phil (Bosscerbera) was due out with me in the two driver race at Brands, but a broken valve spring stopped us. He'll be with me at Donington though.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 16:03 (Ref:3086962)   #159
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Yes it was Jelly, Sports cars are now to be reclassified I understand so another class has been added.

Modes, did you have a go at lifting the rear hatch on the 'Maro, the glass had to be made out of 9mm laminate in its day as it was the largest single piece of automotive glass ever produced at the time, there is an 85lb weight saving in the hatch alone and all the other panels less the bonnet are steel and glass side windows.
My memory is that we lifted the hatch together! It must have had some robust dampers on to be used as a road car hatch.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3086965)   #160
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The red MGB does indeed have large flared arches, look on my video it comes past often enough lol! I use the hatch as a work out machine to save buying one from Pete Halford!
Old 7 Jun 2012, 16:10 (Ref:3086968)   #161
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice video Al

All these videos are great aren't they?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 7 Jun 2012, 16:37 (Ref:3086977)   #162
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
then a bit of a farce as on lap 2 or 3 a red light was shown on the entrance to the left kink before Clearways so I slowed right down (along with the 3 or 4 cars behind me), rounding Clearways I was expecting to find a queue of slow moving cars instead the track was deserted - no more red lights or flags. Turns out the light was only on for a couple of seconds but that was my race over really
Quote:
Suddelny my screen was full of damn Chevys and with nowhere to go I went straight on(ish) into the gravel. Luckily, momentum and lots of revs saw me claw my way out Sadly Bernie was out, not as a result of the damage (not too bad) but starter motor failure. The Camaro carried on but pitted with the fender rubbing the front wheel.
You really had an unlucky weekend - both those incidents were at posts I was on!

The Red Light at Post 9 was an odd one, as we had just been told to cover the white SC lights with whatever we had available - they had come on and stuck on. We dont have any control over the Red Light on our post, that is switched on by Race Control, but I guess in this case the gremlins got it. Luckily, or not, we questioned the light before throwing our Red Flag out, as that really would have confused things for everybody.

I think the escape through the gravel at Druids was just one of those things, you happened to hit the slightly harder patches and did not dig in. If the new run-off had not been there, then I think you may have had a problem.

Other than that, like you, I thought the racing was awesome, and can not wait to see you guys out racing again.

If Bernie is around reading this, then he should know that he is doing a great job with the series. Le Mans Starts - great idea, lets people see the cars up close and personal, as I expect not many made it down into the Paddock to have a look round.

cheers,
David
Old 7 Jun 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3087064)   #163
Moosehead
Veteran

m1fcf - next time you marshal at a HVRA attended event please let me know what post your on..........................I'll be extra vigilant there

Many thanks for marshalling
Old 7 Jun 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3087163)   #164
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here’s a link to my Bernies V8 photos from Monday and Tuesday,
including some of the cars on the start/finish straight,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletri...eshistoricv8s/

I really enjoyed the V8 races, I think it would be better if it was purely the muscle cars e.g. no Marcos/Ferrari/MGB but that’s probably just me.

Quote:
on lap 2 or 3 a red light was shown on the entrance to the left kink before Clearways so I slowed right down (along with the 3 or 4 cars behind me), rounding Clearways I was expecting to find a queue of slow moving cars instead the track was deserted - no more red lights or flags.
I did notice cars going slowly at one point during the Monday race, obviously down to the phantom red flag signal as mentioned above, makes sense now.

I thought the le mans style grid line up and pre-race start was a great idea, I’ve taken lots of photos at brands so to get the opportunity to take photos on the start finish straight / grid was great for something different, the cars looked great all lined up together, I can’t help thinking MSV should have promoted the V8 races and grid walk better, it was the main event really and I saw no real mention on any msv media, or on the tannoy even!

I used a bike to get to the pits for the pics on the grid and then to get back to paddock where I wanted to take pics for the start of the race, having shot from clearways on Monday!

Quote:
Bernie went by the Camaro in the dip but the Camaro locked up into Druids tagging Bernie.
It was a shame that the no59 got tagged at Druids; I got a pic of the Wilson/Milligan Camaro with wheels locked up just prior to the contact. The commentator seemed oblivious to it but the no59 was quickly blitzing through the field after starting at the back, was great to watch that.

Were the commentators being facetious when they said they wasn’t sure why the Le Mans marshals where white overalls? It seems obvious why to me

Does anyone else get Aston Martin V8s and Chevrolet Camaros mixed up? They look quite similar to me, I think where I’ve got my wires crossed is that the Thurtles have run both in the exact same livery!

The no 27 MGB, presumably thats modified more thans allowed in the BCV8 championship? it was signficantly quicker than the fastest lap from the BCV8s a few weeks back

Is the V8 series a replacement for the Heritage Grand Touring Car Challenge?

great racing, keep it up

Last edited by yesnomaybe; 7 Jun 2012 at 21:53.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 22:49 (Ref:3087205)   #165
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
[QUOTE=m1fcf;3086977]You really had an unlucky weekend - both those incidents were at posts I was on!

The Red Light at Post 9 was an odd one, as we had just been told to cover the white SC lights with whatever we had available - they had come on and stuck on. We dont have any control over the Red Light on our post, that is switched on by Race Control, but I guess in this case the gremlins got it. Luckily, or not, we questioned the light before throwing our Red Flag out, as that really would have confused things for everybody.

David,
Thanks for that, that answered the mystery of the phantom red light. We were all a bit confused afterwards.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 07:51 (Ref:3087337)   #166
jamesjtucker
Rookie

England
Burntwood/Lichfield
jamesjtucker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have a Mac?

As I cant edit down my race 2 onboard footage. It will open in VLC media player but nothing else. I may have left it running when we went for our tour on of the track in the Landy, so it's our an hour long!

Cheers
Old 8 Jun 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3087392)   #167
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by modes View Post
Jelly
What wide wheel arches?? John's running Khumos on the red beast and he wasn't far off his lap record done on slicks either. But pressured by a similar timed Camaro and Marcos and a few others not too far away..... what a Grid!

So your building up from the Triumph then? Phil (Bosscerbera) was due out with me in the two driver race at Brands, but a broken valve spring stopped us. He'll be with me at Donington though.
The Massive one they can run in the MG series

What sized tyres rubber can you get under there!!

10" rears? 9+" fronts? Those tyre make a huge difference over the 7" limited (but same engined McCarthy Yellow V8), grip counts for a hell of a alot at Brands.

Mine will be a Griff 200 (3rd one made). Will only come out very occasionally (as will be my sunday driver!). Will run 8 or 7J rims so only so much rubber (more power less rubber (and tiny wheelbase!) than those huge arched MG's).
Old 8 Jun 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3087429)   #168
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No its not a replacement for any previous series, its an entirely new fresh approach.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3087438)   #169
Tom Barley
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Hi Yesnomaybe. Great pictures!

No 59 storming through the field was Mark Wright in Bernies car. They were up the front of race 1 but DNF'd so had to start from the back...

I agree, i thought the le mans style start was great, and the grid walk even better.

No this hasn't replaced the Heritage GTCC, it's more a revival of the racing that Bernie and a few other guys used to organise in the 90's, previously called HARA.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3087496)   #170
jamesjtucker
Rookie

England
Burntwood/Lichfield
jamesjtucker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post

I really enjoyed the V8 races, I think it would be better if it was purely the muscle cars e.g. no Marcos/Ferrari/MGB but that’s probably just me.
Is it okay for me to steel a couple of your photos for my website?
Also whats wrong with the Marcos and MG haha
Old 8 Jun 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3087519)   #171
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
At least Bernie has introduced a sports car class for such machinery now which he must have read my mind about as I was going to suggest it to him! Great photo collection YesNoMaybe I particularly liked the long distant shot of the cars charging up the hill.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3087525)   #172
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post

The no 27 MGB, presumably thats modified more thans allowed in the BCV8 championship? it was signficantly quicker than the fastest lap from the BCV8s a few weeks back
Yesnomaybe
Photos are great. In answer to your comment. Not sure the MGs are comparable as I think the BCV8 changed its rules on modifications for this year, but I don't know what on. Both mine and the red MG haven't raced with them for a few years, we have been in the Heritage Grand Touring series and some European races till this year. The others MGs like ours are in the CSCC Special Saloons series running on slicks.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3087566)   #173
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks all re the photos glad you like them

sorry re the MGB / Marcos thing its just i see the series as a big 'n' heavy tin top series, so the fastest cars being the smaller lighter cars doesnt sit quite right with me,

jamesjtucker see pm

thanks for the answers to my (many!) queries, when im spetating i always seem to end the day with a long list of questions!

off topic then but is there a 2012 race calendar online anywhere for the HGTCC? the website doesnt seem to have been updated in a while and i would like to catch some of their races this year if possible

i see re BCV8 / MGBs i would imagine that the slicks alone could account for a largeish percentage of the difference in lap times

cheers
Old 8 Jun 2012, 15:12 (Ref:3087579)   #174
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No slicks allowed on the MG's or any of the cars in this series. I can see where you are coming from re the sports cars but as one of the rules of the series is no Whinging thats all I can say on the subject and as long as they have their own class whats the bother.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3087601)   #175
Moosehead
Veteran

I originally thought the sportscars would be a pain but to be fair I now find them an interesting addition. Was impressed by the Ferrari guy coming out to play too.

Looking forward to Donington, pity its a one day event, I like the 2 day format. Must go buy some proper sized tyres though