Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Jul 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3275064)   #151
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
And Scott A refuses to say anything, and takes a good long time to do it.
Take measure in the lot of words here: USCR forum #1834
Old 7 Jul 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3275074)   #152
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry Purist, i did misunderstand. I think we both want to see less contact, and are looking for ways to make that happen ... like more strictly enforcing the rules all the time, including Chris Dyson, I mean, blocking.

The other issue, whether the penalty should be retroactive or not .... that's for later.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 23:13 (Ref:3275116)   #153
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what kind of top speeds we see at Lime Rock?
Old 7 Jul 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3275147)   #154
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Sorry Purist, i did misunderstand. I think we both want to see less contact, and are looking for ways to make that happen ... like more strictly enforcing the rules all the time, including Chris Dyson, I mean, blocking.

The other issue, whether the penalty should be retroactive or not .... that's for later.
I'm not so sure now what to think about ALMS's view on contact after yesterday's ending...Elkins seemed 'not displeased' with yesterday's 'product' when he sat down to speak with the person I had been sitting with. That's when I decided it was a good time to resume my agenda and not nose my way into that conversation...I really wasn't even interested in being the 'fly on the wall' (sorry)...but I'll let you know if it was just small-talk or something else...I had become 'disinterested' in anything related to internal combustion (except for my personal transport) by that time of the weekend. I needed air conditioning and peace & quiet. You would have too...
Old 8 Jul 2013, 00:06 (Ref:3275148)   #155
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Lime Rock race thoughts:

1. Only 2 full course yellows. Good news we are making progress. Most watchable ALMS race since Sebring for that reason.

2. Muscle Milk should take a race or two off. Are they really enjoying winning races the way they are for so long?

3. GT was not its usual competitive self. BMW looking very good right now. Corvette was better though compared to Le Mans. Ferrari is struggling in particular.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3275151)   #156
Ken_T
Rookie

United States
Texas
Ken_T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz22 View Post
I'm not so sure now what to think about ALMS's view on contact after yesterday's ending...Elkins seemed 'not displeased' with yesterday's 'product' when he sat down to speak with the person I had been sitting with. That's when I decided it was a good time to resume my agenda and not nose my way into that conversation...I really wasn't even interested in being the 'fly on the wall' (sorry)...but I'll let you know if it was just small-talk or something else...I had become 'disinterested' in anything related to internal combustion (except for my personal transport) by that time of the weekend. I needed air conditioning and peace & quiet. You would have too...
I used to have a reasonably favorable opinion of Elkins with all of the input he accepted from fans in the early stages of the merger. Now, not so much. Maybe its just an engineer thing. Show me results. Just because you are a nice guy, doesn't mean you can handle the position you have been promoted to.

He is one of two in charge of the upcoming rules product and he appears to be failing miserably. I saw his tweets about the penalties and just like you said, he doesn't seem to have a problem with the contact or leaving the win with Level5. It makes no sense. If I was a team that was not in the points chase, it would seem obvious that if I was in contention, I would move the leader out of the way late in the race. I have the podium picture for my sponsors and would be kept the winner. All within the rules that Elkins made. It is a horrible precedent.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 00:22 (Ref:3275152)   #157
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So was there a Lamborghini race or was it a parade? How'd it go?
Old 8 Jul 2013, 00:37 (Ref:3275154)   #158
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
So was there a Lamborghini race or was it a parade? How'd it go?
Both were basically parades...neat cars though.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 01:41 (Ref:3275160)   #159
gregtummer
Veteran

The #55 BMW GT's fastest race lap of 51.925 was faster than the #2 Starworks DP fastest race lap of 51.965 last year.

And no, the #2 Starworks didn't only compete like 3 laps.

They only finished 2 laps behind overall.

Last edited by gregtummer; 8 Jul 2013 at 02:01.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 02:39 (Ref:3275179)   #160
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
The #55 BMW GT's fastest race lap of 51.925 was faster than the #2 Starworks DP fastest race lap of 51.965 last year.

That's a major problem for the USCR, in prospect. Of course, Lime Rock is so tight I can't see that being in issue in any other race except perhaps Baltimore or Long Beach... that is, if they even run those tracks in the USCR.

I didn't get through the whole race, which is very unlike me. When I heard BMW and Pickett won, I decided to pull the plug. The best Viper was in 5th -
Old 8 Jul 2013, 05:18 (Ref:3275205)   #161
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Wasn't sure what you were getting at here and now I'm even more confused.
The fastest GT time in an ALMS race this year was faster than the 10th fastest DP time at the Grand Am race last year?

Also the fastest DP time last year (49.913) was faster than the slowest ALMS GT time this year (52.947).

Also the fastest WEC P1 quali time at Spa this year was 1:59.961 and the fastest Formula 1 time at Spa last year was 1:47.573.

Not sure why that matters though.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 05:31 (Ref:3275210)   #162
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought the race was pretty good. The P1 battle at the beginning was exciting but after the bungled pit stop that was it for overall. Lime Rock's a tight track so there's bound to be some occasional contact when drivers go wheel to wheel in anything other than a gentlemanly vintage race (and sometimes then too).

I don't understand the penalty against Briscoe not affecting the race results. That makes it not a penalty IMO. At the Grand Am race earlier in the year The Corvette was assessed a time penalty (pit delta +60) and was not declared the winner even though they saw the checkered first.

I didn't mind the late full course caution because I'd rather see asafety car on track than a corner worker struck and killed or a car run under a tractor.

I don't know why the other GT teams aren't up in arms over BMW being allowed to run what appears to be a Group 5 prototype in the series.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 05:46 (Ref:3275215)   #163
gregtummer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
The fastest GT time in an ALMS race this year was faster than the 10th fastest DP time at the Grand Am race last year?

Also the fastest DP time last year (49.913) was faster than the slowest ALMS GT time this year (52.947).

Also the fastest WEC P1 quali time at Spa this year was 1:59.961 and the fastest Formula 1 time at Spa last year was 1:47.573.

Not sure why that matters though.
Yes, because comparing Formula 1 to a Sports Car series is exactly the same as comparing one Sports Car series to another Sports Car series.

But if you want to play that game:

Last year's Formula 1 pole time at Austin: 1:35.657 (and the cars will be faster this year)
DP Pole time this year at Austin: 2:00.179

And by the way, the fastest qualifying lap for WEC at Spa was 1:58.934.

Last edited by gregtummer; 8 Jul 2013 at 06:12.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 08:05 (Ref:3275260)   #164
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The point is GTE is nearly as fast with more weight and less power. And the cars are going to be faster next year surely. So DP needs a performance bump or else they'll be battling GTE cars not the front of the field. Or will they? We don't even know because the people in charge haven't even figured it out.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3275300)   #165
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
Drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Both were basically parades...neat cars though.
Agree Matt...neat pieces, sound good, but those guys are not interested in anything even close to casual contact.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 10:02 (Ref:3275306)   #166
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
I think that's perfectly obvious: You can't run a series where the third fastest class ends up fast enough to run mid-pack of the fastest one.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3275405)   #167
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Don't want to be in an LMP coupe out there, apparently. Guy Smith is spent, and Chris Dyson is back in.
There were many participants, both drivers and crew, that were spent. It just seems that the LRP round somehow always has the most brutal weather every year. I was quite happy to get home after three days of fighting a losing battle to the heat.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 14:37 (Ref:3275407)   #168
John Edwards
Rookie

John Edwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you everyone for the congrats. It was a great effort by Dirk and the team. The BMW is best for a track like Lime Rock, with lots of corners and short straights. The team did a great job all weekend long, and we were fastest in every session leading up to race day. Result was key for us at this race because we're going to go to certain tracks that don't suit us, and we need to be ahead at the tracks we're good at.

With the high ambient and track temps combined with the humidity, it was definitely a hard one to win. I feel sorry for the people that had to be near me during the stint because I was the sweatiest I've ever been. I think my suit was probably six or seven pounds heavier at the end of my stint compared to the beginning. On a day like that, when it's such hard work, these are the day swere a win really means alot. Fantastic job by the team.

Thanks to everyone who braved the heat and came out to the event.

If anyone here follows me on twitter (@jedwardsracing) I'll be doing a Q&A at 6pm eastern to answer any questions about GRANDAM and ALMS so far in 2013. Thanks again for the support!
Old 8 Jul 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3275412)   #169
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Edwards View Post
Thank you everyone for the congrats. It was a great effort by Dirk and the team. The BMW is best for a track like Lime Rock, with lots of corners and short straights. The team did a great job all weekend long, and we were fastest in every session leading up to race day. Result was key for us at this race because we're going to go to certain tracks that don't suit us, and we need to be ahead at the tracks we're good at.

With the high ambient and track temps combined with the humidity, it was definitely a hard one to win. I feel sorry for the people that had to be near me during the stint because I was the sweatiest I've ever been. I think my suit was probably six or seven pounds heavier at the end of my stint compared to the beginning. On a day like that, when it's such hard work, these are the day swere a win really means alot. Fantastic job by the team.

Thanks to everyone who braved the heat and came out to the event.

If anyone here follows me on twitter (@jedwardsracing) I'll be doing a Q&A at 6pm eastern to answer any questions about GRANDAM and ALMS so far in 2013. Thanks again for the support!
Yeah, I agree 100% that the rewards are sweeter when the weather is like that...we picked up the W in PC (after crashing it twice). I didn't weigh my suit but six or seven lbs sounds about right....but equalized by the six or seven that exited the body.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3275424)   #170
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Anyone know what kind of top speeds we see at Lime Rock?
In the GTC cars we're at the top of 5th gear entering turn 1.. around 151-152MPH. Based on the GT cars passing me during the weekend, they're the same.. a few maybe +1-3mph.. and some (BMW's) slower than us.

-mike
Old 8 Jul 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3275426)   #171
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz22 View Post
There were many participants, both drivers and crew, that were spent. It just seems that the LRP round somehow always has the most brutal weather every year. I was quite happy to get home after three days of fighting a losing battle to the heat.
As a friend of mine said, who is originally from Scotland, "I never knew the hottest place on Earth was in Connecticut!"

I've been going the past six years, and the nicest its ever been there for this weekend is when it had rained.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 16:18 (Ref:3275435)   #172
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
First of all, congrats to John Edwards. Great job, even if you do drive for the enemy!
Congratulations, also, to Mike Hedlund on second in GTC.
Thanks!! And congrats to John for the awesome finish all weekend. The BMW's were wicked fast!

I was dizzy when I got out of the car after an hour and 20 minutes of driving, all of which was under green except the last 6 minutes. It's not just the fact that it was hot, but the track is so busy in a GTC car there's absolutely no time to let your guard down. It reminds me of Long Beach, only the lap is half as long.

-mike
Old 8 Jul 2013, 17:22 (Ref:3275457)   #173
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
In the GTC cars we're at the top of 5th gear entering turn 1.. around 151-152MPH. Based on the GT cars passing me during the weekend, they're the same.. a few maybe +1-3mph.. and some (BMW's) slower than us.

-mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Thanks!! And congrats to John for the awesome finish all weekend. The BMW's were wicked fast!

I was dizzy when I got out of the car after an hour and 20 minutes of driving, all of which was under green except the last 6 minutes. It's not just the fact that it was hot, but the track is so busy in a GTC car there's absolutely no time to let your guard down. It reminds me of Long Beach, only the lap is half as long.

-mike
Make up your mind, Mike!

In all seriousness, very good effort by both you and John... our respective ALMS 10 Tenths members!

1st and 2nd in class, not bad for 10 Tenths...
Old 8 Jul 2013, 17:34 (Ref:3275463)   #174
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Make up your mind, Mike!

In all seriousness, very good effort by both you and John... our respective ALMS 10 Tenths members!

1st and 2nd in class, not bad for 10 Tenths...
Lol!! I meant wicked fast in terms of lap time and pace, not top speed! :P

-mike
Old 8 Jul 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3275466)   #175
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
As a friend of mine said, who is originally from Scotland, "I never knew the hottest place on Earth was in Connecticut!"
Yeah, it's uncanny, that place. The hottest I've ever been anywhere on the planet was LRP in 2010. The medics were handing out IV's on race day like candy...in hindsight I should have gotten one too after the checkered...but one didn't want to appear weak in front of one's crew mates....flawed thinking as it were. Maybe the LRP round should be moved to January.