Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bigger then g.p. i agree to differ
Old 16 Jan 2006, 22:12 (Ref:1502703)   #152
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only reason I say that is because for a number of years when Doohan was winning the GP races the crowd on raceday at Doningont was under 25,000.
For the superbike races the crowd was always bigger and BRands was always the huge one.
In fact in the last year in 99 nearly that many made the pilgrimage to Assen to see him win the title!
It was huge over here back then. We had no real chances to win in GP and a huge world champ in WSB so crowds grew as a result. Fact!
Old 17 Jan 2006, 02:44 (Ref:1502804)   #153
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
I am preusming the Castiglioini brothers have sold up have they? Coz I think they still owned Cagiva and MV.
Proton sold their share to some one else. I forget who though The brothers still have 30% or how much they had...
Old 17 Jan 2006, 02:51 (Ref:1502808)   #154
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Only reason I say that is because for a number of years when Doohan was winning the GP races the crowd on raceday at Doningont was under 25,000.
For the superbike races the crowd was always bigger and BRands was always the huge one.
In fact in the last year in 99 nearly that many made the pilgrimage to Assen to see him win the title!
It was huge over here back then. We had no real chances to win in GP and a huge world champ in WSB so crowds grew as a result. Fact!
So popular that in 2000, you had 2 Brands rounds and a round at Donnington.

I think.

But anyway, most years untill recent times had a round at Donnington and a round at Brands.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 07:46 (Ref:1502889)   #155
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands only got a second round in 2000 due to Imola being cancelled as the season finale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
In terms of overall rider quality 2003 was higher - you had Hodgson and Xaus as well as Lavilla, and at least the top riders were on a variety of bikes rather than almost all Ducatis. The factory Fucati team came close to defeat only because of the tyres not really suiting them, and that their riders were not as talented as Haga or Vermeulen - 2005 somewhat reinforces this feeling.
Variety of bikes in 2003? What was there apart from 2 Foggy's and a Suzuki. In 2004 the variety was the same, just the Ten Kate Honda in place of the Suzuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
As for the wildcards, they were never really be possible on a large scale while we ahve a control Pirelli tyre. Removing that would be a real gamble for the series, as costs would rise and the chance of a team being uncompetitive through no fault of its own also increases.
I agree, but there is one other way, change the control tyre supplier from Pirelli to Dunlop, allowing most of the big names in AMA and BSB to enter.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1503341)   #156
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have gotta say i dont think it is particulaely on that wild cards can come in and get int he way of a championship battle
Look at Foggy in Sugo years ago, he was always getting tripped up by them, and coutless other riders have been to.
I doint really think anyone believes that Shakey was quicker than the likes of Hodgson, Chili et al when he won both rounds, he had a more dialled in setup coz he had maybe raced there twice that year and was a quick rider on a well prepared bike, like Tamada was, like Izutsu was and like the likes of Kitagawa, DuHamal, Gobert and a whole host of others who have scored WSB wins as wild cards.
As I see it you have signed up for that series and got sponsors and various others on board. You get beat by some local which fair enough is great for him but you might finish second. At the end of year you lose the title by four points!
He is not racing in your series and if you were rcing in his you would probably beat him coz you are in a owrld championship not a national one!
Bit controversial but imagine being that bloke! "Yeah i got beat by some bloke who knew his way rounf there blindfold but we lost the championship, hey no worries!
Old 18 Jan 2006, 12:49 (Ref:1503745)   #157
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

the thing with gobert was that he actually won on a factory muzzy kawasaki in 94 i think as a wildcard. interestingly though is the fact that australian wildcards have not really been represented in the last 10 years by "australian factory riders" which is a shame as we never get to see the "local boys" against the wsb players - the same goes for the ama fella's at laguna... guess its because of the different spec bikes & that there is a "domestic" championship on the same weekend as when the wsb circus is in town....

mladin & corser have been testing there ama & wsb suzuki's at the island this week & corser has been fractionly faster - mladin has been whipping the yamaha france boys which is really no suprise
Old 18 Jan 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1503770)   #158
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are there any updates on the 2006 BSB season? The only things I've read about are:

Airwaves Ducati - Lavilla & Haslam
HM Plant Honda - Kiyonari & Rutter
Rizla Suzuki - Emmett & Haydon
Hawk Kawasaki - Thomas & Coxhell
Hydrex Honda - Richards & Mason
Stobart Honda - Rutter, Laverty?
Vivaldi Suzuki - Smart, Wilson, Bridewell

What about Virgin Yamaha? And Emmett/Plater/Hill?
Old 18 Jan 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1503916)   #159
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Just seen on the Autosport site that Biaggi has had a run in the Midland Formula 1 car.
Not sure whether he is putting the feelerd out like Vale has done or if he is just playing the game and trying to get Suzuki to up their price.\
There still has been no announcement from eitehr party about him joining the Alstare team remember!
Old 18 Jan 2006, 19:08 (Ref:1503946)   #160
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

As I remember, Virgin have signed Hill, Kieran Clarke and the R6 cup winner. Rumour has it the latter two had a slight coming together with Clarke ending up with broken bones and currently sitting out testing.

Emmett I believe has signed for Vitrans. No word on Plater yet tho.
Some corrections to your list.

Rutter - Stobart
Harris - HM Plant
Byrne - Cresent Suzuki
Old 19 Jan 2006, 08:21 (Ref:1504225)   #161
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have gotta say i dont think it is particulaely on that wild cards can come in and get int he way of a championship battle
Look at Foggy in Sugo years ago, he was always getting tripped up by them, and coutless other riders have been to.
I doint really think anyone believes that Shakey was quicker than the likes of Hodgson, Chili et al when he won both rounds, he had a more dialled in setup coz he had maybe raced there twice that year and was a quick rider on a well prepared bike, like Tamada was, like Izutsu was and like the likes of Kitagawa, DuHamal, Gobert and a whole host of others who have scored WSB wins as wild cards.
As I see it you have signed up for that series and got sponsors and various others on board. You get beat by some local which fair enough is great for him but you might finish second. At the end of year you lose the title by four points!
He is not racing in your series and if you were rcing in his you would probably beat him coz you are in a owrld championship not a national one!
Bit controversial but imagine being that bloke! "Yeah i got beat by some bloke who knew his way rounf there blindfold but we lost the championship, hey no worries!
Thats just the way it is.

How is it different between having a wildcard, and then having say Lanzi jump on a factory Ducati and suddenly jumping up the front of the field and taking points of the leaders, despite being down the list most of the season. Or a rider from outside the championship replacing a sacked or injured regular rider and immediatly being up the front?
Old 19 Jan 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1504595)   #162
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Er, coz Lanzi was riding in the series anyway!
And replacement riders are there for different reasons and usually do the rest of the series.\
Let me give examples. Lavilla at Thruxton in 2004, taking out Reynolds in BSB. Ruggia half killing Colin Edwards a few years back on a Yamaha! They were wild cards that possibly affected the run of a championship.
When the likes of Borja came in on the factory Duke to replace B Boz, he was already riding in that team. You had guys like Whitham, De Gea, Cadalora etc on the Modenas, Gobert on the Virgin Yam in BSB, I have no problem with replacement riders or wild cards as a whole.
I guess what I should have made clearer is they shouldt take points away, so if Izutsu does the double at Sugo he isnt registered for the series, Bayliss finishes second and gets the double 25. What about that?
Old 20 Jan 2006, 15:21 (Ref:1505287)   #163
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink69
Some corrections to your list.
Rutter - Stobart
Harris - HM Plant
Byrne - Cresent Suzuki
I don't know what planet I was on yesterday - sorry about that. I know Rutter is not at HM Plant Honda anymore and I put him twice too! And I just typed Emmett instead of Byrne for no reason - but they are so similar...you can see how I did it...

Not sure about Emmett at Vitrans (their website doesn't seems to exist). Both Emmett and Plater could go to Dienza (see link) .

Here's an updated list of who we have so far, and to be honest, we have most of the main players sorted. Not a bad field...

Airwaves Ducati - Lavilla & Haslam

HM Plant Honda - Kiyonari & Harris
Hydrex Honda - Richards & Mason
Stobart Honda - Rutter & Laverty

Rizla Suzuki - Byrne & Haydon
Vivaldi Suzuki - Smart, Wilson & Bridewell
Jentin Suzuki - Kirkham

Hawk Kawasaki - Thomas & Coxhell
Dienza Kawasaki - Plater & Emmett?

Virgin Yamaha - Hill, Clarke & McConnell?
Old 20 Jan 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1505379)   #164
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Very sad news today on CRash, and that is to make way for the impending arrival of that notable tigger from Brazil, what do we get out of the way...
One of the most promising riders of last year, Max Neukirchner!
Can you believe this, its almost as bad as Crapdoso getting a GP ride.
I agree that Barros is quality but to get rid of Max is insane!
Apparently HRC are paving the way for Alex and there aint any money left to apy for Max, bloody poor show for me and I hope Barros is a flop (much like Abe!)
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:10 (Ref:1505427)   #165
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yes it is a shame. But can't HRC just pay for Barros and let Klaffi and Neukirchner make other arrangements or whatever they did last year. I don't understand why it has to affect Max!
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1505452)   #166
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Apparently Klaffi were paying a bit for Max last year aswell, they get a bit of assistance from HRC.
I can't really see why Max cant try and get some cash together himself and keep his e seat.
Either that or the team simply cant afford to run two bikes, which really means four of you have to do it properly, thats probably the main thing!
Would be good to see him in the series still, maybe even in supersport.
But after his perfomrances last year must be a sickener, especially as he was never erlly fully fit after THAT fall
Old 21 Jan 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1506199)   #167
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom

I can't say dumping Max in favour of Barros is a great move. Barros is a great racer and all but I can see him retiring in a couple of years where as Neukirchner has years infront of him and he could easily build on his promising season last year. How come Klaffi had the budget to run 2 bikes last year but not this year??
Old 25 Jan 2006, 18:16 (Ref:1508980)   #168
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Just read on Max's officail website that he actually writes on that he is still in discusision with Suzuki.\The deal hinges on technical assurances from the site, what that menas I dont know, whether its Max speak for money or Max speak for getting all the best bits on the bike before Corser I not sure.
He has seen the bikes though and expects to make an announcement after finishing his holiday in the US, maybe the money might have taken him over there to check out the AMA scene!!
Old 25 Jan 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1508985)   #169
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom

Steve Plater has been testing a JJL Racing Honda at the BSB test at Almeria. He ran eighth fastest with a best time of 1min 40.1secs. Looks like he might finally have something sorted, great news!
Old 25 Jan 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1509034)   #170
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink69
Steve Plater has been testing a JJL Racing Honda at the BSB test at Almeria.
Dienza Kawasaki boss Enzo DiClemente has hinted on their official website that Emmett and Plater could ride for them in 2006. They have even put their profiles on the site under the heading of 2006 BSB Race Team, although they are yet to confirm it - but it's weird to do that if they weren't definite!

Could it be Steve Plater?
Could it be Sean Emmett?

Old 26 Jan 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1509588)   #171
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom

I didn't know Sean Emmett was French!
Old 31 Jan 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1512714)   #172
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like we can rule out seeing Biaggi in WSBK, at least with Alstare anyway. The article can be seen here.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 20:03 (Ref:1512987)   #173
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Looks like we can rule out seeing Biaggi in WSBK, at least with Alstare anyway. The article can be seen here.
I have read on other forums that he may do selected WSBK races, preparing for a full 2007 season. And then he could be the Midland F1 3rd driver on Fridays! Seems a bit funny to me - he probably doesn't want to commit to Suzuki if he won't have the same machinery as Corser.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1514205)   #174
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm intruiged to understand why he wouldnt be provided with the same equipment as Corser and kagayama ?

Is it a resources thing as I thought Biaggi would bring sufficent sponsorship wit him to solve such an issue ??
Old 2 Feb 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1514231)   #175
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
One of the conspirisies was that Honda bought Showa and Showa supply suspension parts to Suzuki...(Fill in the gaps).

But as you say, c'mon, Suzuki, it's MAX BIAGGI. Come on, what's the worst that will happen?