Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Aug 2023, 08:41 (Ref:4174577)   #151
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Grass and gravel works best. Dont need tyre stacks or sausage kerbs or any such thing.
Old 30 Aug 2023, 08:46 (Ref:4174578)   #152
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Grass and gravel works best. Dont need tyre stacks or sausage kerbs or any such thing.
Trouble is track licencing for Trucks and Bikes preclude the use of gravel
Old 30 Aug 2023, 08:48 (Ref:4174579)   #153
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a more serious note, it seems that Team Parker and possibly others had a load of tools taken from the paddock.[/QUOTE]

Donington does have a lot of previous for this over the last ten years or so.
Old 30 Aug 2023, 13:26 (Ref:4174598)   #154
coffinpilot
Veteran

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
On a more serious note, it seems that Team Parker and possibly others had a load of tools taken from the paddock.
Donington does have a lot of previous for this over the last ten years or so.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't help that after qualifying on Sat or Race two on Sun anybody can just walk in and out unchecked without a ticket. Not the case at Brands or Snett if I recall. Nobody to challenge them. Although I guess it's not part of the job description of ticket people to nab thieves of tools or signs anyway....

Plus, I caught race three at the hairpin, what is it with so many people ditching out before the last race? Am I in the minority in being a miserable old so and so in that I want to get my money worth? I know the car parks are a pain - but they still were an hour after the race!!
Old 30 Aug 2023, 14:06 (Ref:4174601)   #155
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Plus, I caught race three at the hairpin, what is it with so many people ditching out before the last race? Am I in the minority in being a miserable old so and so in that I want to get my money worth? I know the car parks are a pain - but they still were an hour after the race!!
I've complained about this multiple times. BTCC Race 3 being the last race of the day is an enormous pain. Instead of having say 50% of the traffic leave at 5 after BTCC Race 3, another 25% after another support race at 5.30 and then finally the last 25% at 6 once racing is done for the day, you end up with 99% of the crowd trying to exit at the same time. The only people this seems to make sense to is ITV.

Last edited by thetool; 30 Aug 2023 at 14:23.
Old 30 Aug 2023, 14:07 (Ref:4174602)   #156
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
I’ve seen been to BTCC rounds at every circuit on the UK apart from Croft and Thruxton and I don’t think I’ve ever stayed for the last race. The car parks everywhere are killer and if you leave after race 2, you’ve probably seen one of every support race.

It’s a risk though, I’ve missed some excellent third races over the years and had to catch up at home.
Old 30 Aug 2023, 21:08 (Ref:4174641)   #157
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess it's the last race because they'd all be trying to pack up and go home when there's still racing going on. I remember they threw a safety car at Mondello one year in the final support race, so the BTCC people could get across the track and off to the airport....
Old 30 Aug 2023, 22:31 (Ref:4174647)   #158
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
I've complained about this multiple times. BTCC Race 3 being the last race of the day is an enormous pain. Instead of having say 50% of the traffic leave at 5 after BTCC Race 3, another 25% after another support race at 5.30 and then finally the last 25% at 6 once racing is done for the day, you end up with 99% of the crowd trying to exit at the same time. The only people this seems to make sense to is ITV.
You obviously don't remember the days of super tourers at Donington. Many people were allowed to park on the infield. Entry and exit were either through the tunnels just before the chicane to start/finish line or the one between Maclean's and Coppice. I used to marshal in those days and it has been known not to move for an hour trying to get out.
Old 30 Aug 2023, 23:29 (Ref:4174652)   #159
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
You obviously don't remember the days of super tourers at Donington. Many people were allowed to park on the infield. Entry and exit were either through the tunnels just before the chicane to start/finish line or the one between Maclean's and Coppice. I used to marshal in those days and it has been known not to move for an hour trying to get out.
I do, and was there for a number of those events. Not saying it was perfect everywhere, but having the departures staggered over the space of an hour/hour and half (as the BTCC feature race was usually done by about 5 and racing usually on until 6.30) meant things were easier. Don't remember it being particularly worse than any other.
Old 31 Aug 2023, 04:56 (Ref:4174665)   #160
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I guess it's the last race because they'd all be trying to pack up and go home when there's still racing going on. I remember they threw a safety car at Mondello one year in the final support race, so the BTCC people could get across the track and off to the airport....
I go to most Mondello events - when was that?
Old 31 Aug 2023, 06:48 (Ref:4174669)   #161
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Yep, we parked right by Goddards in 1999. Took us over an hour to leave the circuit.
Old 31 Aug 2023, 06:57 (Ref:4174670)   #162
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think there are a number of things to consider here.
Although there are support races I would have thought that the majority of spectators going to a BTCC meeting are going primarily for The BTCC races and expect a full day's worth of entertainment. (Or, if that's not their expectation, this is what the organisers are trying to provide). If 'their' day is finished at say ¾ distance, their entrance fee could appear to be overpriced. Plus, having the BTCC race the final one of the meeting where the latest Championship positions are decided is a suitable Grand Finale to the day.
Secondly there is the TV coverage to consider. Again this programme is billed as The BTCC and they proudly say (something like) 'a full day of live BTCC action'. Finishing the meeting at Race Three is also a suitable dramatic conclusion to their programme, allowing the presenters to sum up the days events and also drum up excitement for the following meeting (and their TV coverage).
I admit that I can remember the time where (for example) Touring Car Races were held after the main event (such as the British Grand Prix) in order to keep keen spectators at the event, allowing the more casual (for want of a less complimentary description) race-goers to leave the circuit early in order to stagger the traffic, but that was a long time ago, plus I would expect that crowd numbers then were a lot higher, plus traffic management measures were nowhere near as effective as those used nowadays.
Old 31 Aug 2023, 08:24 (Ref:4174674)   #163
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
I go to most Mondello events - when was that?
02 I think. They interrupted an RT2000 race for it.
Old 31 Aug 2023, 08:25 (Ref:4174675)   #164
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
And then those who cut the corner deposit put muck and gravel all over the track which punishes people who did nothing wrong. Not to mention that they wear huge divots which can wreck cars far more than a tyre wall. Snetterton anyone?
Old 31 Aug 2023, 09:20 (Ref:4174678)   #165
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
02 I think. They interrupted an RT2000 race for it.
Ah the year I missed! The locals know to park on the outside!
Old 31 Aug 2023, 09:46 (Ref:4174681)   #166
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Trouble is track licencing for Trucks and Bikes preclude the use of gravel
I hear this a lot, and dont pretend to have any real knowledge, however there must be some contradictions here because Donington, Brands and even Silverstone (to a small extent) has gravel traps, so I dont know what criteria is being used to stipulate the exclusion of gravel traps for the case of bikes.
Old 31 Aug 2023, 12:34 (Ref:4174683)   #167
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just done a quick bit of reading about bikes and gravel traps. First point to make, is all gravel traps aren't the same - the main factors being the depth and size of stone. Big stones cause big to bikes and the riders. F1 & FIA have campaigned for years for circuits to remove gravel traps to reduce the amount of safety car interruptions but tried to say it was to help bike racing too, but this isn't 100% true. Gravel traps that go right up to the circuit edge can cause a rider to be high-sided when running wide - which is something you want to avoid.

I have just found out that the likes of Moto GP and BSB use a 'long lap' penalty, which typically uses the extreme outside edge of a corner to serve a short time penalty (typically 2seconds) which is served during the race, instead of being applied to the final results.
Old 31 Aug 2023, 12:40 (Ref:4174685)   #168
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I have just found out that the likes of Moto GP and BSB use a 'long lap' penalty, which typically uses the extreme outside edge of a corner to serve a short time penalty (typically 2seconds) which is served during the race, instead of being applied to the final results.
You can see one at the Melbourne hairpin.
Old 31 Aug 2023, 13:05 (Ref:4174686)   #169
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone's one is at Luffield
Old 31 Aug 2023, 13:31 (Ref:4174687)   #170
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In the context of enforcing the inside of a corner (vice tyre stacks), one point to consider is that gravel traps are just that - a 'trap'.
Do we want wheels to be caught in a trap if a corner is cut?
Old 31 Aug 2023, 15:34 (Ref:4174697)   #171
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it just needs a super slippy surface - bit like running over a banana skin in Mario Kart.
Old 31 Aug 2023, 16:32 (Ref:4174703)   #172
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think there are a number of things to consider here.
Although there are support races I would have thought that the majority of spectators going to a BTCC meeting are going primarily for The BTCC races and expect a full day's worth of entertainment. (Or, if that's not their expectation, this is what the organisers are trying to provide). If 'their' day is finished at say ¾ distance, their entrance fee could appear to be overpriced. Plus, having the BTCC race the final one of the meeting where the latest Championship positions are decided is a suitable Grand Finale to the day.
Secondly there is the TV coverage to consider. Again this programme is billed as The BTCC and they proudly say (something like) 'a full day of live BTCC action'. Finishing the meeting at Race Three is also a suitable dramatic conclusion to their programme, allowing the presenters to sum up the days events and also drum up excitement for the following meeting (and their TV coverage).
I admit that I can remember the time where (for example) Touring Car Races were held after the main event (such as the British Grand Prix) in order to keep keen spectators at the event, allowing the more casual (for want of a less complimentary description) race-goers to leave the circuit early in order to stagger the traffic, but that was a long time ago, plus I would expect that crowd numbers then were a lot higher, plus traffic management measures were nowhere near as effective as those used nowadays.

Someone has quoted it before on here but there’s also a minimum time between BTCC races I’m sure. To allow for repairs etc. the rounds with late start times aside I do feel itv is starting the coverage later in the day at least this year. I don’t remember last years coverage start times
Old 31 Aug 2023, 16:36 (Ref:4174704)   #173
thetool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Someone has quoted it before on here but there’s also a minimum time between BTCC races I’m sure. To allow for repairs etc. the rounds with late start times aside I do feel itv is starting the coverage later in the day at least this year. I don’t remember last years coverage start times
Minimum is 90 minutes. It is somewhat understandable at tracks like Oulton Park that can't start racing until midday, but even there it would be possible to have the last BTCC race start at 5ish. Something like: Race 1 12:20, Race 2 14:30, Race 3 16:40, then time for one or two supports whilst everyone gets home in waves.
Old 31 Aug 2023, 16:42 (Ref:4174705)   #174
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Minimum is 90 minutes. It is somewhat understandable at tracks like Oulton Park that can't start racing until midday, but even there it would be possible to have the last BTCC race start at 5ish. Something like: Race 1 12:20, Race 2 14:30, Race 3 16:40, then time for one or two supports whilst everyone gets home in waves.

I was at a BTCC meeting at Oulton a few years ago, when there 2 support races after the last BTCC race and getting out of the circuit was just as bad as it was this year when Race 3 was the last of the day.
Old 31 Aug 2023, 17:16 (Ref:4174709)   #175
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I think it helped years ago when there was only two races. Usually the first race was maybe 2nd or 3rd on the intinery at about 12, then the second race was at about 14:30, which then meant time for 2-3 races after.