Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Nov 2006, 07:42 (Ref:1766453)   #151
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
The AGP is primarily an event, a social occasion, an excuse to get dressed up & partake of your favourite liquids.
V8 only followers wont be missed.

If you dont understand an event in Melbourne check out the Spring Carnival - people partying in the car park, not a horse in site - record crowds this year.

The Boxing Day test is a sell out - 95000+ at the MCG - the place to be.
Agreed (sort of). It is similar to The Lexmark Indy which is a party for 300,000 people with a couple of races in the middle of it but if you delivered a crappy programme there like they are at the GP next year I would say the same thing.

As for the comment that tickled your mate DRT's fancy about "not missing V8 only lovers" where was it written that this the opinion of V8 only fans??
Old 15 Nov 2006, 07:50 (Ref:1766454)   #152
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And Robert how do you know the issue isnt a one thing with Bernie. Wouldnt be the first time
Well they needed to iron out those issues anyway, before making any committments.
Quote:
They didnt announce anything, it was outside parties who started talking.
They were the FIA GT3 and the local Australian GT people. At least they had something going, so would gather from that, the AGP people gave their approval for FIA GT3 as a support for the F1 race. As I said earlier someone had not contacted Bernie about it, this would have saved the embarrassment of having to cancel the support event.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 08:15 (Ref:1766463)   #153
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
Agreed (sort of). It is similar to The Lexmark Indy which is a party for 300,000 people with a couple of races in the middle of it but if you delivered a crappy programme there like they are at the GP next year I would say the same thing.
I would say there is a large difference in terms of the AGP and Lexmark. They act under the idea of a large event. It has been argued that half the attendance at Indy wouldnt even know a race was on, the same could not be said about the AGP.

Baz I understand your cut aboot the v8s not being at AGP and you feel that the world is going to end however there are a lot of similarities between the categories at Indy and the AGP. Swap ChampCar for F1 and ditch the v8s and you have got the same programme so its a pretty big jump to a "crappy programme" as you so delicately put it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
They were the FIA GT3 and the local Australian GT people.
Apologies I was referring to the AGP never announcing GT3. However neither party you mentioned announced anything, they definately spoke of the possibilities but refrained from announcing news.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 08:32 (Ref:1766479)   #154
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Apologies I was referring to the AGP never announcing GT3. However neither party you mentioned announced anything, they definately spoke of the possibilities but refrained from announcing news
So who announced the coming of the FIA GT3, if FIA GT3 , the AGP and Terry Little did not mention it? I know Terry said on a inpitlane interview, they had FIA GT3 coming as support to the AGP. Stephane Ratel? also mentioned it.
Quote:
It has been argued that half the attendance at Indy wouldnt even know a race was on, the same could not be said about the AGP.
Why would that be ? if as Cavvy said:
"The AGP is primarily an event, a social occasion, an excuse to get dressed up & partake of your favourite liquids."
Old 15 Nov 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1766485)   #155
dolmio
Rookie

Australia
N.S.dub
dolmio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So who announced the coming of the FIA GT3, if FIA GT3 , the AGP and Terry Little did not mention it? I know Terry said on a inpitlane interview, they had FIA GT3 coming as support to the AGP. Stephane Ratel? also mentioned it.
Ratel in Autosport. Little on inpitlane. AGPCorp said nothing.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1766489)   #156
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Ratel in Autosport. Little on inpitlane. AGPCorp said nothing
Thanks that confirms what I thought
Old 15 Nov 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1766498)   #157
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Robert Ryan]So who announced the coming of the FIA GT3, if FIA GT3 , the AGP and Terry Little did not mention it? I know Terry said on a inpitlane interview, they had FIA GT3 coming as support to the AGP. Stephane Ratel? also mentioned it.

Terry Little certainly said it was a goer but nobody had officially announced anything. That was what Monday was for. The question is why, if they were not running FIA GT3 did they borrow Rusty's car, paint it in Zagames colours (the naming rights sponsor?) and why did they suddenly send 2 Grand Prix officials out to Sandown on Sunday to take a last second look at F5000 after originally telling them they were not interested.
As for the Bernie connection that came from now 4 seperate sources one from inside the AGP. I also think Mr Bamford's reaction to the question on In Pit Lane last night indicated a degree of discomfort over the line of questioning. I'll try and stick it up on the podcast as well as the F5000 story when I get time.
Perhaps it wasn't Bernie who scarpered it but whatever it was only happened last week. Also notice that apart from the Grand Prix itself and the Utes there are no naming rights sponsors for supports as yet and no Manufacturer support for the Celebrity race.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1766506)   #158
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The celebrity race is well past it's use by date and is nothing more than a giggle for television viewers. Does nothing for anyone on track. Still next yr will stll be better than alot of the other GP's that have bugger all for support events.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1766511)   #159
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes they all said in print that they were talking and things were progressing nicley, which it did as inpitlane says untill a week before the launch. But never was anything 100% confirmed by any party which was the point of my post now and a earlier today.

Quote:
Why would that be ? if as Cavvy said:
"The AGP is primarily an event, a social occasion, an excuse to get dressed up & partake of your favourite liquids."
Dare I say the AGP is more of a place to be seen at where as Indy is an event when at its best you dont seem to remember it a few days after.

Throw in names like Ferrari, Schumacher, McLaren, Alonso, Webber and its hard not to know a race is going on at Melbourne.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1766528)   #160
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
except one of them wont be there next year will he?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1766540)   #161
D.R.T.
Veteran

The name will be through Ralf and what Michaels involvement with Ferrari turns out to be but you are correct.

Shall be fascinating to see how Schumachers exit effect Formula 1 not only in Australia but across the world.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1766548)   #162
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
who's Ralf

thats sounds like out the back of a corporate tent
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1766562)   #163
D.R.T.
Veteran

The other schumacer will be the answer.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1766571)   #164
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
didnt eddie irvine quite. there are no more leprechauns (shoemakers) racing
Old 15 Nov 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1766597)   #165
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Throw in names like Ferrari, Schumacher, McLaren, Alonso, Webber and its hard not to know a race is going on at Melbourne
To the small group of motorsport fans attending, the bulk of the others wouldn't know or care less.
Quote:
Yes they all said in print that they were talking and things were progressing nicely
Bit more than that as far as Terry Little and Stephane Ratel were concerned it was a done deal. Stephane would not be mentioning it on Autosport if he thought it was a "maybe"
"Terry Little certainly said it was a goer but nobody had officially announced anything" Something does not add up here.
Quote:
The celebrity race is well past it's use by date and is nothing more than a giggle for television viewers
At least the Queensland lot took their "celebrity" race out that back and gave it the coup de gras
Old 15 Nov 2006, 10:46 (Ref:1766618)   #166
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
To the small group of motorsport fans attending, the bulk of the others wouldn't know or care less.
Maybe so but I reckon they are still aware a race is on.

Quote:
Bit more than that as far as Terry Little and Stephane Ratel were concerned it was a done deal. Stephane would not be mentioning it on Autosport if he thought it was a "maybe"
I am sure they were confident it was a done deal but they never said it was a done deal. Ratel mentioned he was talking to AGP Corp and was confident of the deal coming off but I dont recall him confirming anything.

Isnt this all a little irrelevant now Robert ?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1766649)   #167
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Isnt this all a little irrelevant now Robert ?
Far from it. The fact that both Ratel and Little were led to believe that the "it was a done" deal, but all that was needed was an official anouncement, suggests to me that there is something awfully wrong with the AGP organising committee. Not only that but they have not organised sponsorship for other categories on the program and also were in the process of changing their decision on F5000. Sounds like the Captain is not at the helm.
Quote:
Maybe so but I reckon they are still aware a race is on.
Not to the point that they would try to save it, if it was scratched from the F1 Calender.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 15 Nov 2006 at 11:11.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1766671)   #168
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Not to the point that they would try to save it, if it was scratched from the F1 Calender.
You feel that it at risk of being scratched from the F1 calender ?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:39 (Ref:1766688)   #169
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
You feel that it at risk of being scratched from the F1 calender
You missed my inference, I was saying they could not care less if it was or not, as long as the party goes on.
On the other hand, there has been talk of it being eliminated from the F1 calender.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1766738)   #170
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
You missed my inference, I was saying they could not care less if it was or not, as long as the party goes on.
Without the AGP there is no show or party, same with any hallmark event such as those who Cavvy mentioned. So I think there are enough people who care.

Quote:
On the other hand, there has been talk of it being eliminated from the F1 calender.
Could you direct us to a source Robert ?

Last edited by D.R.T.; 15 Nov 2006 at 12:43.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1766787)   #171
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The launch story from the In Pit Lane news on Tuesday is now on line on the In Pit Lane podcast at feed://feed.feedburner.com/inpitlane or via iTunes or Democracy.
Also included is the F5000 report from the Sandown Historic.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1767071)   #172
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Without the AGP there is no show or party,
If they are only interested in "partying" then they will go to the next "carnivale" type event...

It does not take much for Bernie and his crew to drop a F1 event...surely D.R.T. you would have known about this? I think everyone else on these boards does.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...958156151.html
Old 15 Nov 2006, 19:03 (Ref:1767092)   #173
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Surely you would have known as well this years eventwas in doubt over the clash with the Commonwealth games., so it does not mean the event is written in stone.If Melbourne losted it's "Opener" it lost the AGP.
Quote:
Australia will return to the top of the F1 calendar in 2007.

Despite fears that high-rating Bahrain would retain the slot after Melbourne hosted the Commonwealth Games this year, organisers said in a statement that Albert Park will run its opener on March 18.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 15 Nov 2006 at 19:07.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 21:22 (Ref:1767186)   #174
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are more officials at the historics than the 500.Ask them why..
A few thousand people with open minds to believing more than a holden and ford are the greatest car in the world.The holdens and Fords that are there are by far and away better than what is available now.
A few thousand people who enjoy stylish innovative cars of their period presented in showroom condition with many valued in their millions.
No outrageous entry fee's
Pit lane access
No drunks
Etc
Old 15 Nov 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1767211)   #175
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
a 3 day grandstand ticked for PI is $115 or 70 for a 3 day general admission a sunday ticket is $50

a sunday ticket is $99 for the GP or $175 for four days. grandstands start at over $300 and go up to $600

you get alot better value from your v8 ticket.
you get about 3 races on the sunday and maybe 4 on the saturday at the GP, buy you do get to here an F1 at full noise (although in my opinion a v8 turbo is a much sweeter sounding machine)
That's about the same price as Silverstone, only that's in £, not Aus$. In other words, your prices are a little under half of ours.