Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Jan 2012, 07:26 (Ref:3018415)   #151
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A solid ~5 cars per class average.

Exceptional.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 12:14 (Ref:3018500)   #152
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who's Starworks? Isn't that a Grand-Am team?
Old 29 Jan 2012, 14:07 (Ref:3018522)   #153
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hehe, starworks in lmp2, i like that rumor hopefully next year it will happen
Old 29 Jan 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3018562)   #154
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The latin american version of the SPEED channel has their own personnel at Daytona, they just interviewed Giuseppe Risi and he confirmed the team will be in ALMS full time this season, he also seems to think Ian Dawson will enter with Lotus.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3018664)   #155
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
The latin american version of the SPEED channel has their own personnel at Daytona, they just interviewed Giuseppe Risi and he confirmed the team will be in ALMS full time this season, he also seems to think Ian Dawson will enter with Lotus.
Well, the Ferrari 458 Grand-Ams stank big at Daytona (Porsches 1-2-3 in GT), so I guess they didn't feel Grand-Am had more to offer than ALMS. Good to see them back!
Old 29 Jan 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3018676)   #156
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Well, the Ferrari 458 Grand-Ams stank big at Daytona (Porsches 1-2-3 in GT), so I guess they didn't feel Grand-Am had more to offer than ALMS. Good to see them back!
Porsche 911s have been running around Daytona for years so they have reams of data to work with. The Ferraris had none of that.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 29 Jan 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3018679)   #157
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Porsche 911s have been running around Daytona for years so they have reams of data to work with. The Ferraris had none of that.
I guess that's partially what I'm getting at. Risi has at least 1 year of experience running the 458 GTC in ALMS, so that's still more than Grand-Am where they would have to fight hard against the entrenched teams. The Ferraris won't get good till they get more experience, but because of that teams may not want to run them. Thus, only 1 full-season Ferrari vs. the 4 one-off Ferraris at the 24.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 07:09 (Ref:3018745)   #158
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Thats great news! Hopefully it'll be two cars although I'll be happy just to see them in ALMS.

I aint doubting Mr Risi, but as for Ian Dawson I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 08:08 (Ref:3018761)   #159
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I aint doubting Mr Risi, but as for Ian Dawson I'll believe it when I see it.
Ian Dawson might show up (whether with the Radical LMP2 and/or Lotus Evoras), but the bigger question with Ian Dawson is if the cars will be total rubbish or not. It's probably more of a concern with the Radical than the Lotuses as I guess we can assume a certain amount of quality from the Lotus program. We saw what happened with Ian's Radicals in 2010. They showed up, but I don't even know why they bothered to do so. I know people have said things will be different this time, but that is the point where I'll believe it when I see it!
Old 30 Jan 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3018791)   #160
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
On the other hand, in the past he's been involved in some competent programmes that haven't been a total shambles- Ascari and the original Taurus Lola, before he started messing around with biofuels and diesels, were both fairly respectable efforts.

What happens might just depend on whether there's proper funding behind this rumoured Lotus effort, if there's decent support from the factory, and what development work has been done on the Evora over the winter. If he's sticking with the Radicals, then I guess it'll hinge on whether there's any money behind it, and whether he's put a sensible engine in the back this time round.

Time will tell...
Old 30 Jan 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3018815)   #161
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The latin american version of the SPEED channel has their own personnel at Daytona, they just interviewed Giuseppe Risi and he confirmed the team will be in ALMS full time this season
The only logical choice, full-season GA would've been kind of a waste.

I'm anxious to see their drivers now, seeing how awesome their Daytona line-up was.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 12:21 (Ref:3018879)   #162
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Stank at Daytona? Risi finished 5th, and had a fast lap of just four tenths off the fastest lap for GT. They were on the lead lap late in the race. I'd suggest this was a rather spectacular debut for a brand new car, that hasn't had much sorting out by it's teams.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3018903)   #163
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Stank at Daytona? Risi finished 5th, and had a fast lap of just four tenths off the fastest lap for GT. They were on the lead lap late in the race. I'd suggest this was a rather spectacular debut for a brand new car, that hasn't had much sorting out by it's teams.
I thought the one Risi car did quite well at Daytona, but I would be happier to see them compete in the ALMS against the Vettes, Lizards, and Bimmers. I just hope the Lizards and Risi can stay off each others fenders this year.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 15:40 (Ref:3018959)   #164
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Ian Dawson might show up (whether with the Radical LMP2 and/or Lotus Evoras), but the bigger question with Ian Dawson is if the cars will be total rubbish or not. It's probably more of a concern with the Radical than the Lotuses as I guess we can assume a certain amount of quality from the Lotus program. We saw what happened with Ian's Radicals in 2010. They showed up, but I don't even know why they bothered to do so. I know people have said things will be different this time, but that is the point where I'll believe it when I see it!
oh what a surprise to see Ian being slammed for trying yet again!!!......each to their own.......I just spoke to Ian briefly on e-mail about 20 minuted ago and he and his team are currently installing a new LMP2 engine in the back of the Radical Chassis, its not for me to reveal the new engine supplier, but I can say they are a very reputable bunch indeed and I'm sure it will create lots of interest and be in the mix, I cant imagine the new engine supplier would supply a half job - no way, they really are very reputable.......plan is to be at the Sebring test this weekend for sure with the LMP2 car.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3018970)   #165
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I'd suggest this was a rather spectacular debut for a brand new car, that hasn't had much sorting out by it's teams.
Maybe so but there's more performance balancing in GA, which is probably one of the main reasons Risi chose ALMS instead
Old 30 Jan 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3019050)   #166
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
..and yet today, Risi claims they can't confirm yet what they will be doing for the balance of the year. As the World Turns.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 19:51 (Ref:3019054)   #167
Deleted
Veteran

Instead of being cheeky it would be great if you provided the source of this claim.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 20:11 (Ref:3019065)   #168
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Cheeky?

It's on their Facebook page.

FWIW, while the performance balancing was a nuisance to Risi, I don't believe it is the major decision maker.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 20:26 (Ref:3019074)   #169
Deleted
Veteran

Well besides funding and their personal preference, I think it is one of the deciding factors. If we are to believe this article from early January that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Risi

" -- I wasn't thrilled at ALMS towards the end [of last year] because I think they had a lot of rule changes. It's like everything that was being done was trying to slow the Ferrari down and help everyone else. It was very evident and clear. Anybody who knows anything about racing could see that was going on. So that was upsetting because we put our best foot forward to come to these races. Then to have things changed and waivers thrown at us, and all the other teams being helped... We never had a waiver. The Ferrari doesn't have one single waiver. When you look at the BMW has something like 18 [waivers] and Corvette has thirty-something [waivers]."

-- GRAND-AM, quite honestly, I think some of the things they say and do are a little petty sometimes. But the format of what this is, with everyone running on the same tires and you have to make the tires work for you... I think is great because it equals everything out. My concern is that you make a car competitive and it's going to be the same for everybody. We just don't want to be somebody waking up one morning and saying, 'We have to do something about these guys.' Because you're going to run us off.”
Old 30 Jan 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3019141)   #170
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
oh what a surprise to see Ian being slammed for trying yet again!!!......each to their own......
I don't think anyone is slamming them for trying, but I for one am a little less than optimistic about the execution based on the success of some recent projects. There's a saying in stick-and-ball sports that "you're as good as your record says you are," and Ian's recent record is pretty dang bad. Hopefully this new proposed P2 program will be much, much better than what happened the last time that P2 Radical ran.

So what is the status of the Lotus Evora program that Ian is/was involved with? We have not heard much about that lately.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 22:48 (Ref:3019156)   #171
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
So what is the status of the Lotus Evora program that Ian is/was involved with? We have not heard much about that lately.
With the rumor that AJR were going to be in GT with something new, I wonder if they will run the Lotus?
Old 30 Jan 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3019158)   #172
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
With the rumor that AJR were going to be in GT with something new, I wonder if they will run the Lotus?
I was wondering about that too. I suppose that could be the case. I figure that if Job would come back with a Porsche if he did come back, but maybe Lotus could be involved there. There is also a rumor that a former factory driver of some sort may be forming a new ALMS GT team, but I don't know any details about that.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 22:55 (Ref:3019160)   #173
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
There is also a rumor that a former factory driver of some sort may be forming a new ALMS GT team, but I don't know any details about that.
Melo?
Old 30 Jan 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3019175)   #174
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Melo?
I'm not sure. Is Melo wealthy? Maybe someone like Beretta, O'Connell, or Fellows? I'm not sure. I would just be guessing and I'm not sure if the rumor is reliable.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 23:45 (Ref:3019189)   #175
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
I am not sure any of them are wealthy either--Melo has a following in Brazil, so maybe he can raise money. He can get Rubens on the team instead of in Indy cars, although I would rather see Rubens in a proto.