Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jan 2024, 14:53 (Ref:4191454)   #151
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
but you wonder how much interest Gene is putting in.
Being as he flies in to almost every race, and takes an active part at the track, I'd say he is quite interested.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 14:58 (Ref:4191456)   #152
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Race.com has quite an indepth article on Komatsu.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/w...-ayao-komatsu/
Old 11 Jan 2024, 14:58 (Ref:4191457)   #153
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think what S griffin was referring to (please correct if I'm wrong) is that Komatsu is an unknown qty as a team principal.

When he made the statement 'they would have been better keeping what they know, rather than an unknown like that' - I took it as meaning he thinks they would be better with team principal who has done the role before (a known) rather than someone taking it on for the first time (an unknown).

And when broadrun96 responded with 'Can you provide sources to support his team management skills are a known commodity, ie when was he team principal before' - this again was to the question of whether his abilities as a team principal are known, not whether anyone in the paddock has heard of the guy.

Unless I've caught the wrong end of what the posters were saying?
Old 11 Jan 2024, 15:04 (Ref:4191459)   #154
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Being as he flies in to almost every race, and takes an active part at the track, I'd say he is quite interested.
It's reasonable to question his long term interest (not how many races he attends) based on his own comments 4 years ago:

"I'm just kind of waiting to see how this season starts off," he said when asked about what his thoughts were for the future.

"If we have another bad year, then it would not be that favourable [to stay]. We did five years. That was really the test – we're going to do this for five years, see how it goes and evaluate it and then we'll decide whether to go forward. I'm not saying we won't be back. It has to be evaluated. To do it for another five years, though, that would be a big commitment."
"It's just a challenge. It's a difficult sport. It's extremely expensive. It's time consuming and it puts a huge amount of stress on the teams to compete. It's not really beneficial to the teams that aren't in the top four or five."

We're coming up to the next 5 years he refers to. I guess it could have been phrased "but you wonder how much long term commitment Gene has"?
Old 11 Jan 2024, 15:58 (Ref:4191469)   #155
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And of course William Storey (via the Rich Energy Twitter account and not his own!) takes the opportunity to have a kick at Steiner while he is down on the ground.

https://twitter.com/rich_energy/stat...52189276819834

Quote:
Auf Wiedersehen 'Herr Vanker'.
An astute move from Gene Haas. Steiner was incompetent & duplicitous.
There is vastly more performance potential to be tapped with Ferrari as partners. Engineering can now be the focus #Haas #Steiner #F1
Richard
Old 11 Jan 2024, 17:23 (Ref:4191489)   #156
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
* Haas remains a believer in the current structure of strong partnership with Ferrari. And that is likely to continue into and through 2026.
given the history of performances by small teams which have significant ties to Ferrari for both parts and support...do they ever do well?

that one time Haas 5th in the championship (which to some may have sort of asterisk next to it) and i suppose Alfa in 2022 but otherwise being a Ferrari customer team doesnt really conjure up images of success.

one way or another, long term success or improvement probably needs that issue to be address more so than the TP situation?
Old 11 Jan 2024, 18:11 (Ref:4191494)   #157
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
And of course William Storey (via the Rich Energy Twitter account and not his own!) takes the opportunity to have a kick at Steiner while he is down on the ground.

https://twitter.com/rich_energy/stat...52189276819834

Richard
Can't we just ignore this idiot?
Old 11 Jan 2024, 18:31 (Ref:4191500)   #158
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Can't we just ignore this idiot?
Being serious here... maybe I shouldn't post anything he says?

I mostly do because usually he is just saying something dumb and I post here for entertainment value. But by reposting it is expanding the reach of what he says. I am actually surprised he didn't take a bigger swing at Steiner.

Richard
Old 11 Jan 2024, 21:01 (Ref:4191509)   #159
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Is there some sort of rule that says a person can't be promoted into a role before they've done that role elsewhere? Seems like a recipe for a shrinking closed shop to me.
My workplace is very much like this. Started as a small 'family' company. Now has grown to over 200 staff.

They have promoted and developed from within, which I am all for when the circumstances dictate - but now we have a bunch of 22-25yr olds with no leadership experience - or would even know what that word truly means - in leadership roles.

Their qualifications? "my mum knows the director's mum so I got a job here straight after school and have have grown up as the company has".

And believe me. It does not work.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 21:03 (Ref:4191510)   #160
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
given the history of performances by small teams which have significant ties to Ferrari for both parts and support...do they ever do well?

that one time Haas 5th in the championship (which to some may have sort of asterisk next to it) and i suppose Alfa in 2022 but otherwise being a Ferrari customer team doesnt really conjure up images of success.

one way or another, long term success or improvement probably needs that issue to be address more so than the TP situation?
Sauber 2001 was probably the most impactful season for a Ferrari customer team
Old 11 Jan 2024, 21:04 (Ref:4191511)   #161
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Haas are a serious team
They are? I just don't see it.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 21:41 (Ref:4191517)   #162
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
And believe me. It does not work.
I once had an extremely painful conversation with a senior manager at my workplace where I patiently explained that what they were good at was *management*, not leadership.

They really were an excellent manager - from the perspective of procedures and adherence thereto.

They couldn't, however, have lead their way out of a wet paper bag when it was raining.

It felt simultaneously very very satisfying and nerve-wrackingly awkward having to explain the difference between the two. As you may imagine, it was not well received.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 22:29 (Ref:4191523)   #163
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I once had an extremely painful conversation with a senior manager at my workplace where I patiently explained that what they were good at was *management*, not leadership.
When mentoring new employees (particularly those right out of college or nearly so) I will tell them that you don't have to be in a managerial position to be a "leader". As you say... Leadership and Management ARE two different things. ANYONE can be a leader or provide leadership.

I can't speak to if Steiner is/was a good leader or not, but I expect we all have worked under poor leadership before and it can be soul crushing.

Richard
Old 12 Jan 2024, 00:21 (Ref:4191532)   #164
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
He’s hardly an unknown!
What’s he known for? Perhaps talk about him a bit and maybe venture an opinion on whether this translates to team principle of Haas for this discussion forum!
Old 12 Jan 2024, 00:49 (Ref:4191535)   #165
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
What’s he known for? Perhaps talk about him a bit and maybe venture an opinion on whether this translates to team principle of Haas for this discussion forum!
For me he was one of those "oh yeah he's that guy" that I've always seen at F1 races on the tele and clips and pit walls and stuff. Knew his name and knew he's been around for a while but not much else past that.

Like that guy from Ferrari that's been around since MSC days and that tall guy at Red Bull in the garage when Max wins.

Guys that always just seem to be there
Old 12 Jan 2024, 01:28 (Ref:4191538)   #166
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And the podium watch guy.

I too don’t know much about him, not much is widely known about him.

Which would be why it would be interesting to hear someone’s view on him. If nothing else there must be some stories from the longevity.
Old 12 Jan 2024, 09:11 (Ref:4191548)   #167
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They are? I just don't see it.
Quote:

Which would be why it would be interesting to hear someone’s view on him. If nothing else there must be some stories from the longevity.
Is he still doing it? I hardly notice him anymore. The podium watch and cap guy that is
Old 12 Jan 2024, 16:32 (Ref:4191612)   #168
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What I don't understand in this Haas affair is why the car hasn't been developed? Where they so lost at sea they didn't even know where to start? The update they did roll out didn't work at all.

Gene Haas claims they operate quite close to the spending limit, so clearly they are inefficient, but then why didn't they throw money at the car? What did they do with their money?
Old 12 Jan 2024, 16:33 (Ref:4191613)   #169
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
For me he was one of those "oh yeah he's that guy" that I've always seen at F1 races on the tele and clips and pit walls and stuff. Knew his name and knew he's been around for a while but not much else past that.

Like that guy from Ferrari that's been around since MSC days and that tall guy at Red Bull in the garage when Max wins.

Guys that always just seem to be there
Woody Allen made film called Zelig. You've just described the premise behind it.

Quote:

Who?
Old 12 Jan 2024, 19:15 (Ref:4191649)   #170
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alexandre Molina, FIA employee from 1997 and former Podium Ceremonies Manager for F1. Now the CEO of the FIM E-Bike championship.

I dare say he's got some F1 stories to tell eventually!
Old 12 Jan 2024, 20:15 (Ref:4191660)   #171
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
What I don't understand in this Haas affair is why the car hasn't been developed? Where they so lost at sea they didn't even know where to start? The update they did roll out didn't work at all.

Gene Haas claims they operate quite close to the spending limit, so clearly they are inefficient, but then why didn't they throw money at the car? What did they do with their money?
Yes, they seem short of ideas about what to do to get better results and it seems they are making decisions in the panic mode.
Old 13 Jan 2024, 07:21 (Ref:4191701)   #172
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie View Post
Yes, they seem short of ideas about what to do to get better results and it seems they are making decisions in the panic mode.

In addition, doing too little. I think Gene is correct in that they need to work better with what they've got. But, he doesn't give the impression to have much visions.

I already miss Binotto and I will miss Steiner.
Old 13 Jan 2024, 10:03 (Ref:4191716)   #173
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just a thought,given that Gunther Steiner has such a high profile,courtesy of Drive to Survive,would it be a smart move for Andretti to hire him as an adviser?
Old 13 Jan 2024, 14:57 (Ref:4191734)   #174
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, and that's because you should never pick around in others' trash, thinking that you will find something of value.

Andretti (father and son) have a lot of experience in dealing with Formula 1, both past and present unlike Haas which was more of a whim than anything else. They know whom they will hire when the time comes, so that's not an issue.
Old 13 Jan 2024, 18:49 (Ref:4191746)   #175
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
On reflection it's something of a gamble from Gene Haas.

I am sure Guenther is expensive and also rather grabs the headlines, which could be a double-edged sword. He's certainly experienced, and a cult figure, but actually wasn't massively rated before Haas.

While he's well known and experienced in F1, putting Komatsu-san in charge is a risk in that he is a senior engineer and the team failings seem to have primarily been in engineering.

Having said that, if you're last you really can't get too much worse.