Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 2 Nov 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3778176)   #151
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I think you might be missing the point

IN the past those achievements were a big deal for those drivers, but because they have been reached already, someone else doing it is perhaps not as big a breakthrough.

I should add I think he will get a knighthood, that is the way this crap works unfortunately.

he has won more races because there are more races!! What is his win ratio? Any idea
But no Brit has reached 4 titles. No Brit has as many poles. No Brit has as many wins, etc etc. He has reached achievements before many others. What exactly is he meant to do?

Quote:
he has won more races because there are more races!! What is his win ratio? Any idea
Already mentioned that, but if you insist (Brits only) -

Clark - 35%
Hamilton - 30%
Stewart - 27%
Hill (Damon) - 19%
Mansell - 17%
Collins - 9%
Hill (Graham) - 8%
Hawthorn - 7%
Surtees - 5%
Coulthard - 5%

Stopped at this point, because when you reach David Coulthard it's probably not worth listing stats anymore

You literally have to LOOK for records that Lewis isn't leading to get one. % poles and % wins are literally the only things he does not lead, and even then he's a clear second behind Jim Clark. Miles ahead of Stewart, Hill, Mansell, etc. When someone is leading every record board but 2, and in those 2 he is second, using the 2 where he is second to say "Well, look at that, he's not that great!" is a bit ridiculous. So I don't think I've missed the point at all - I think people are deliberately looking for ways to not list Lewis at the top of the record boards.

(Note: Any time I say he's leading a stat or record, etc, I mean only Brits included).

Again, I really don't like Lewis. I think he's a bit of a tool. But he has easily met the criteria for a knighthood as listed on the official website, and compared to other sports stars. This includes charity work, no matter what spin somebody tries to put on that. If given the title Sir, he would most likely act like a complete tool and start demanding he's called that on TV or something (exaggeration!), but that doesn't change that he's met the criteria. If he gets one, it is certainly fully deserved. Maybe he can have it sewn onto one of those silly hats.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3778178)   #152
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
(And just an FYI, my brother got an OBE for saving everyone in this thread who lives in the UK £30. That was appreciation for saving the country a metric f**kton of money, not for charity work, or being good at a sport. Just being really good at his job. He has always said he would have preferred a percentage over the honour. It was presented by Princess Anne)
That's a pretty amazing achievement actually. One person saving that amount of money. May I ask what he did? (no problem if you can't answer on a forum!). A percentage would've been a nice reward for that.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 13:59 (Ref:3778184)   #153
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
That's a pretty amazing achievement actually. One person saving that amount of money. May I ask what he did? (no problem if you can't answer on a forum!). A percentage would've been a nice reward for that.
Well, as he always says, OBE stand for Other Buggers Efforts. He was head of a Army team that did some stuff, some of which was on Top Gear, strangely enough.

1% of the savings, a percentage he would have been happy with, would be about £15M IIRC.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 14:07 (Ref:3778190)   #154
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I have never really seen any evidence of Lewis doing any charitable stuff that's all. Have seen Nando and Button and a few others doing stuff, just not Lewis, whether he does it full on or via a management team in some way doesn't matter, but from a guy who watches a lot of this stuff, I see little of him doing it, doesn't mean he does nothing!
it's almost all publicised via social media, so if you aren't amongst the millions following him on one of the popular platforms you're not going to see evidence of that. people walking through minefields and tending to malnourished children a la 90's royals doesn't make the news any more. the best way of promoting a charity and reaching as many potential donators of time and money as possible is via social media.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3778192)   #155
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I have never really seen any evidence of Lewis doing any charitable stuff that's all.
Some evidence is given below. His profile in the charitable arena may not be as high as some others, and in fact his activities seem to have lessened at the same time as his results have improved?

Lewis Hamilton stays after India Grand Prix to help children left behind

Lewis Hamilton Foundation

Old 2 Nov 2017, 14:32 (Ref:3778193)   #156
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are you his publicist?

Lol
Old 2 Nov 2017, 14:36 (Ref:3778194)   #157
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Exactly what I said in an earlier post. When someone hasn't seen Lewis do anything charitable, they say "He's not doing charity work like Jenson is". When someone shows them it, they say "Well that's just marketing".

In other words, no matter what anyone does, people will find a way to hate Lewis.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm away to crowd surf whilst drinking out a shoe.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3778195)   #158
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Why can’t people just give him credit for doing this? If you haven’t got anything good to say about it, don’t say anything at all
Old 2 Nov 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3778197)   #159
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Are you his publicist?

Lol
I suspect not, just someone who knows how to use a search engine to look stuff up, instead of making stuff up. Sadly, a dying breed.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3778199)   #160
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Exactly what I said in an earlier post. When someone hasn't seen Lewis do anything charitable, they say "He's not doing charity work like Jenson is". When someone shows them it, they say "Well that's just marketing".
Ha! I am not a Lewis fan, but that is pretty spot on! Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Richard
Old 2 Nov 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3778205)   #161
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Ha! I am not a Lewis fan, but that is pretty spot on! Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Richard
TBH, LH is probably not checking out this forum to see what people are saying about him, and instead is living in his Monaco home having a great time doing what he loves. So on the whole, he's probably alright being damned, one way or the other.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 15:56 (Ref:3778208)   #162
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
TBH, LH is probably not checking out this forum to see what people are saying about him, and instead is living in his Monaco home having a great time doing what he loves.
They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

He's regularly spotted catching up with the forum, and even sharing the talk with Alonso....

Old 2 Nov 2017, 15:56 (Ref:3778209)   #163
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I suspect not, just someone who knows how to use a search engine to look stuff up, instead of making stuff up. Sadly, a dying breed.
Thank you, thank you, thrice thank you !

Old 2 Nov 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3778210)   #164
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why would I even want to search social media for that rubbish, For Gods sake what a pathetic argument?

I have no desire to publish other websites trash on here, was simply trying to make a statement.

Seems I have treated on the Hamilton fanboys toes. Get a grip people, he is about as British as a Ford Mustang.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 16:09 (Ref:3778212)   #165
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I didn't know the Mustang was born in Hertfordshire!

We've argued that Lewis hasn't accomplished enough, we've argued he doesn't do enough charity and now we've moved onto he's just not British enough. Maybe if he should be more involved with tea and football violence!
Old 2 Nov 2017, 17:03 (Ref:3778218)   #166
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Why can’t people just give him credit for doing this? If you haven’t got anything good to say about it, don’t say anything at all
I'm critical of his pop star image but as a driver, Lewis is outstanding and that is what he really should be judged on. I've said this before but it was the arrival of Lewis in F1 that rekindled my interest in the sport. During the Schumacher/Ferrari years, I actually stopped watching F1 and followed it very remotely, every so often reading the odd article in Autosport. Even having the US GP at Indy wasn't enough but with Lewis's arrival, that made the difference.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 2 Nov 2017 at 17:09.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 17:24 (Ref:3778222)   #167
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having watched pretty much all of 35 seasons of F1, I have never known a single driver - even Schumacher - have his every single move on and off track dissected in such microscopic detail.

I know, I know, I'm nearly 50 so my opinion doesn't really count, but can we just recognise and accept that drivers (and indeed all other megastar sportspeople) these days aren't like the old ones, that the world has moved on since 1955/1965/1975/whatever year, etc etc?
Old 2 Nov 2017, 20:34 (Ref:3778238)   #168
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Having watched pretty much all of 35 seasons of F1, I have never known a single driver - even Schumacher - have his every single move on and off track dissected in such microscopic detail.
prompted by this, imagine the racing megastars of the past having social media... for some reason i'm fixated by the idea of jim clark posting selfies with his tractor ("today's office") and his favourite sheep. and piquet snr posting passive aggressive quotes about whoever got in his way this week. and jackie stewart getting into a twitter war with the anti-safety brigade.

point is, we don't know who'd be absolutely insufferable because all we ever got to see of them was the occasional tv or radio interview that very rarely gave you a good idea of the race they'd just been in, let alone their state of mind or character in the middle of a fight for the championship.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 22:58 (Ref:3778259)   #169
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
point is, we don't know who'd be absolutely insufferable because all we ever got to see of them was the occasional tv or radio interview that very rarely gave you a good idea of the race they'd just been in, let alone their state of mind or character in the middle of a fight for the championship.
50 years ago, it was completely different. The drivers were, on the whole (and yes there were a few exceptions) far more friendly amongst themselves. Between meetings, groups of them in the UK would meet up socially at places such as the Steering Wheel Club and another one that I can't remember the name of at the moment that was round the corner.

And although there was rivalries within teams, if they were instructed to hand over their cars to their fellow drivers, they did so. Maybe not really happily, but they did so for the team or if finishing the race was more important (points/championship wise).

Furthermore, drivers back then were far more approachable. They didn't hide in huge motorhomes behind miles of steel fences and at races you could mingle with the stars. Try that nowadays more likely a burly personal security brute will hoist you away by the collar.

The truth is that drivers then were far less precious than today's lot of overpaid chauffeurs.

I think the other club was called Mortons, a place were the Bentley Boys had made popular.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 2 Nov 2017 at 23:05.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 23:43 (Ref:3778263)   #170
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
50 years ago, it was completely different. The drivers were, on the whole (and yes there were a few exceptions) far more friendly amongst themselves. Between meetings, groups of them in the UK would meet up socially at places such as the Steering Wheel Club and another one that I can't remember the name of at the moment that was round the corner.

And although there was rivalries within teams, if they were instructed to hand over their cars to their fellow drivers, they did so. Maybe not really happily, but they did so for the team or if finishing the race was more important (points/championship wise).

Furthermore, drivers back then were far more approachable. They didn't hide in huge motorhomes behind miles of steel fences and at races you could mingle with the stars. Try that nowadays more likely a burly personal security brute will hoist you away by the collar.

The truth is that drivers then were far less precious than today's lot of overpaid chauffeurs.

I think the other club was called Mortons, a place were the Bentley Boys had made popular.
Yes to this. Drivers are more alienated from the common folk now, and while it may not be burly personal security brute, it may be a blonde following "sir" Hamilton around everywhere pushing fans away.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 23:45 (Ref:3778264)   #171
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I didn't know the Mustang was born in Hertfordshire!

We've argued that Lewis hasn't accomplished enough, we've argued he doesn't do enough charity and now we've moved onto he's just not British enough. Maybe if he should be more involved with tea and football violence!
Agreed; seems to me that some people will find any old reason to dislike him.
I have my own theory on the real reason, which will go unsaid but doesn't require a great leap of imagination to guess.
Old 2 Nov 2017, 23:56 (Ref:3778267)   #172
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
a lot of them actually socialise now as well, either at home in monaco or in london when they're here for team business. there are loners like sebastian vettel, but on the whole a lot of them cycle together and drink coffee and that sort of stuff. and before anyone attacks the monaco thing, if you're telling me that as a professional sportsman you'd turn down the opportunity to live in a warm, tax free place where you can train outside 12 months a year then you're probably a bit weird

i wouldn't call them precious, more very very busy. sometimes they even get to spend time with the team working on the car
Old 3 Nov 2017, 01:42 (Ref:3778276)   #173
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only reason why I dislike Hamilton is because he's fake, and always gives off a strange vibe.
He doesn't even seem to have much of a personality, or a sense of humor.
Just this weird guy that's desperate to stay famous and relevant after F1, the only thing he's seemingly good at.

I find that to be pretty sad, to be honest.

And I really just want to watch F1 without having to cringe at Lewis.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 3 Nov 2017 at 01:48.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 06:38 (Ref:3778299)   #174
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Agreed; seems to me that some people will find any old reason to dislike him.
I have my own theory on the real reason, which will go unsaid but doesn't require a great leap of imagination to guess.
Lewis Hamilton is like Nigel Mansell. Absolute legend in the car, can be a bit of a chuff outside the car, but both fundamentally decent people.

Please do not interpret having a little joke at the chuff bit as being what you are inferring. It’s just as unfair.

Last edited by Adam43; 3 Nov 2017 at 06:44.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3778321)   #175
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
The only reason why I dislike Hamilton is because he's fake, and always gives off a strange vibe.
He doesn't even seem to have much of a personality, or a sense of humor.
Just this weird guy that's desperate to stay famous and relevant after F1, the only thing he's seemingly good at.

I find that to be pretty sad, to be honest.

And I really just want to watch F1 without having to cringe at Lewis.

You’re entitled to your own opinion of course, but I don’t share it.

At least Lewis has a personality, sure not the greatest sense of humour but he’s a racing driver not a comedian. Whether you interpret his persona as fake when he thanks his fans and congratulates his team, it’s your choice. But at least he does it....he goes to the greatest lengths of any of the drivers out there to do that....you can decide whether it’s fake or not, but at least it’s the correct thing to do
Closed Thread