Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Feb 2022, 09:07 (Ref:4098583)   #1726
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
No, just feel we have waited long enough and want a better idea at least of the grid this year
Understood - although it is worth remembering that the season is starting about a month later than normal pre-covid seasons.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 09:08 (Ref:4098584)   #1727
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Depends on the title sponsor... Didn't you know that?
I thought that sponsors were mandated by the BTCC fans to change their corporate identity to allow a range of livery colours.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 11:01 (Ref:4098600)   #1728
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I thought that sponsors were mandated by the BTCC fans to change their corporate identity to allow a range of livery colours.
lol
Old 14 Feb 2022, 13:15 (Ref:4098619)   #1729
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In related news, Harry King racing in Porsche Supercup this year. Good for him!

Though with King, Cammish and Hanafin (at least) out of GB, could be a weaker grid there this season.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 13:33 (Ref:4098626)   #1730
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
In related news, Harry King racing in Porsche Supercup this year. Good for him!
It'll be interesting to see how he gets on, his first year in the Porsches was very impressive, his second not so much - the speed was there but the racecraft seemed to have gone awol.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 13:53 (Ref:4098628)   #1731
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
In related news, Harry King racing in Porsche Supercup this year. Good for him!.
Forgot he raced there last year as well...!
Old 14 Feb 2022, 14:09 (Ref:4098630)   #1732
Squiggs
Rookie

Squiggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hampshire venue to welcome fans for final official pre-season test:

The 2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship’s much-anticipated Season Launch will welcome fans to Thruxton Circuit on 13 April as teams and drivers hit the track for the final official test ahead of the campaign.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 14:14 (Ref:4098631)   #1733
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is doubling as the traditional Thruxton tyre test as well. Clearly there are concerns as to availability of all the hybrid parts too as this is at least a week closer to the first race weekend than has been typical recently.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 14:16 (Ref:4098634)   #1734
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool, the most boring circuit on the calendar 3 times this year.
Old 14 Feb 2022, 14:23 (Ref:4098635)   #1735
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Cool, the most boring circuit on the calendar 3 times this year.
Don't think Thruxton is the worst but a bit underwhelming for a third visit there. Plus, there'll be a curve in the pit-straight grid photo!
Old 14 Feb 2022, 14:26 (Ref:4098636)   #1736
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
This is doubling as the traditional Thruxton tyre test as well. Clearly there are concerns as to availability of all the hybrid parts too as this is at least a week closer to the first race weekend than has been typical recently.
Are there concerns - or is this part of the plan that has been in place for a while now?

June 30 2021:

'In addition to the all-important race dates, the BTCC is also planning to host three official pre-season test days at various venues to allow as much time as practical for teams to carry out Hybrid testing.'

This is the last of the three test days, so clearly this timeline was planned over 8 months ago....
Old 15 Feb 2022, 07:31 (Ref:4098742)   #1737
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Does anyone know what the date/s are for the 3 day testing and media days are; I have tried to Google it, but haven't found the answer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Thruxton sent out a list of dates a while back, I think it was for marshal sign-up. That had BTCC media/test day on 13th April and support series test day on 14th April.

According to TSL website:
29th Mar - BTCC test Donington
13th Apr -BTCC test Croft
13th Apr - BTCC test Thruxton

That said, nothing publicly confirmed by TOCA as yet
Hampshire venue to welcome fans for final official pre-season test

The 2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship’s much-anticipated Season Launch will welcome fans to Thruxton Circuit on 13 April as teams and drivers hit the track for the final official test ahead of the campaign.

An exclusive, invite-only evening event on 12 April will precede a full day of testing, utilising the circuit’s state of the art hospitality and conference centre, the Thruxton Centre, for official championship photography, ITV filming duties and more media-related activity.
[...]
The voyage to Thruxton signals the third and final official pre-season test, as teams will also be attending Donington Park and Croft on 29 March and 6 April respectively.
Old 15 Feb 2022, 08:10 (Ref:4098748)   #1738
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chilton confirmed at Excelr8 - https://www.btcc.net/2022/02/15/exce...h-tom-chilton/
Old 15 Feb 2022, 08:36 (Ref:4098755)   #1739
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Glad to see Chilton will be back on the grid this year. Let's hope he can rediscover his mojo
Old 15 Feb 2022, 09:07 (Ref:4098761)   #1740
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Glad to see Chilton will be back on the grid this year. Let's hope he can rediscover his mojo
Good to see him back, but don't we say every year about him rediscovering his mojo?
Old 15 Feb 2022, 09:21 (Ref:4098762)   #1741
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chilton, Lloyd and Ingram - strong line-up.
Old 15 Feb 2022, 09:55 (Ref:4098767)   #1742
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, looks like Excelr8 is going to have one of the strongest lineups on the grid. Hope Chilton will be back to his normal self and contend for some podiums, I believe a return to a FWD car can help him a lot.

What caught my attention is this:
"Further news on EXCELR8’s 2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship programme will be announced in due course."

I wonder is this just about a fourth driver or any other news from them are expected? Remember something about building a Hyundai engine by the team, however maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Old 15 Feb 2022, 10:42 (Ref:4098773)   #1743
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Yeah, looks like Excelr8 is going to have one of the strongest lineups on the grid. Hope Chilton will be back to his normal self and contend for some podiums, I believe a return to a FWD car can help him a lot.

What caught my attention is this:
"Further news on EXCELR8’s 2022 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship programme will be announced in due course."

I wonder is this just about a fourth driver or any other news from them are expected? Remember something about building a Hyundai engine by the team, however maybe I'm reading too much into it.
I think the funding for that Swindon built Hyundai engine may just have arrived...... If you know what I mean.
Old 15 Feb 2022, 11:23 (Ref:4098781)   #1744
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I think the funding for that Swindon built Hyundai engine may just have arrived...... If you know what I mean.
nope

funding for their new engine development programme from one of the sponsors was announced many months ago

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2021...ine-programme/
Old 15 Feb 2022, 11:47 (Ref:4098791)   #1745
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Two lots of funding:
  1. Hansford funding for R&D.
  2. A.n.other funding for implementation.
Old 15 Feb 2022, 12:12 (Ref:4098799)   #1746
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interestingly the BTCC has decided to throw caution to the wind and the autograph sessions are back this year. Will be interesting to see if infected drivers are allowed to compete, not seen any word on that yet.
Old 15 Feb 2022, 12:22 (Ref:4098803)   #1747
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Interestingly the BTCC has decided to throw caution to the wind and the autograph sessions are back this year. Will be interesting to see if infected drivers are allowed to compete, not seen any word on that yet.
Caution to the wind - or just reflecting the current situation across England (where 9 rounds are scheduled to be held)?

Why would they announce the requirements for testing of drivers to the public more than two months before the season starts, and the circumstances may be entirely different by then?

Currently, any circuit will be issuing guidance along the lines of:
'We are following current government guidance and are working with the relevant authorities including Public Health England and the local agencies to ensure we put in place all the necessary policies and procedures to deliver COVID safe events.'
Old 15 Feb 2022, 12:23 (Ref:4098804)   #1748
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
He's been trying to find his mojo with almost every team on the grid. If he doesn't find it soon he'll be running out of places to look.
Old 15 Feb 2022, 12:27 (Ref:4098805)   #1749
thetool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Caution to the wind - or just reflecting the current situation across England (where 9 rounds are scheduled to be held)?

The vast majority of the 2021 season was run under government rules that would have permitted the autograph session to take place, but none did.
Old 15 Feb 2022, 12:37 (Ref:4098807)   #1750
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
He's been trying to find his mojo with almost every team on the grid. If he doesn't find it soon he'll be running out of places to look.
Was it 2018 he was third overall? Seemed to go steeply downhill from there, effectively last overall in ETCR last year too. Would be nice to see him back on a high, though I think Ingram and Lloyd will be quicker.