Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jul 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3661702)   #1951
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You might also find the smart one drying their grid slots for the later standing starts as well.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 20:30 (Ref:3661709)   #1952
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not sure if this was covered in your links but saw this in an adam cooper article on FoxSports:

'They also discussed putting a stop to track limit penalties on the basis that it is hard to judge if an advantage has been gained. If that is confirmed for this weekend, then in effect there will be a free for all.'

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story...-starts-072816

seriously wow!!!

i'll hate myself for saying this, but i wish BE wasnt otherwise and understandably preoccupied and could have been at this meeting because the lunatics should not be allowed to gather without their doctor present!
Old 28 Jul 2016, 21:02 (Ref:3661714)   #1953
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
This should improve things

The restrictions on radio messages have been significantly reduced with no apparant restriction during the races from this weekend. The only restriction will be on the green flag lap.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125502
That's a bit galling for Rosberg and Button, particularly Rosberg.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 21:09 (Ref:3661717)   #1954
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have often wondered why circuit owners go to the trouble of laying expensive tarmac when a lot of the drivers seem to prefer spending most of their time driving on the grass.

Forget about this idea of whether drivers gain an advantage by driving outside the track limits everywhere should outside of the white lines should be punishable.

Maybe F1 should use the Monaco definition of track limits, where they have a very effect way of dealing with anybody outside them.

Last edited by wolfhound; 28 Jul 2016 at 21:14.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 21:42 (Ref:3661722)   #1955
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
not sure if this was covered in your links but saw this in an adam cooper article on FoxSports:
I just read that article from your link. I find it hard to believe track limits will be completely abandoned. I mean seriously where are the limits? Just do donuts over the start/finish timing loop! "Lap" times may be sub-second!

Richard
Old 28 Jul 2016, 22:50 (Ref:3661743)   #1956
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I just read that article from your link. I find it hard to believe track limits will be completely abandoned. I mean seriously where are the limits? Just do donuts over the start/finish timing loop! "Lap" times may be sub-second!

Richard
Ah Richard, but you would have to travel backwards on the circuit which is still, I hope, not on!
Old 28 Jul 2016, 22:52 (Ref:3661744)   #1957
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
i'll hate myself for saying this, but i wish BE wasnt otherwise and understandably preoccupied and could have been at this meeting because the lunatics should not be allowed to gather without their doctor present!
Very good Chilli!
Old 29 Jul 2016, 00:59 (Ref:3661761)   #1958
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Ah Richard, but you would have to travel backwards on the circuit which is still, I hope, not on!
Who says I am going backward? I am just cutting a lot of corners! I am leaving the classic definition of the circuit with each revolution of my circle.

Richard
Old 29 Jul 2016, 05:18 (Ref:3661787)   #1959
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
3 metres of grass minimum at the white line edge would sort out all this nonsense about "track limits". Funny how this totally wasn't an issue 10 years ago, only since the FIA on their crusade to tarmac over the entire planet, has it become such.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 06:34 (Ref:3661791)   #1960
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

'They also discussed putting a stop to track limit penalties on the basis that it is hard to judge if an advantage has been gained. If that is confirmed for this weekend, then in effect there will be a free for all.'

seriously wow!!!

They've finally spotted the problem, (judging if an advantage is gained) but got the wrong solution. The object is to drive on the track, If you go four wheels off anywhere unless you are forced off by another car you should be penalised, simple. Better of course if the circuits are designed so that oenalty is just a natural consequence then no rule is required.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 08:40 (Ref:3661805)   #1961
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
There is something strange happening.

Another piece of sense from the strategy group a return to standing starts in wet conditions. This will happen after a number of laps behind the safety car so that driver can get to know what the conditions are like.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125505
However, this still doesn't address the complaints from various people that the safety car tends to be kept out too long. If the FIA's observers maintain their present attitudes to what constitutes a safe surface on which to race, the safety car will still trundle around for the same number of laps. And the only really "exciting" bit will be for those sat on the startline or viewing at the first few corners.

Oh, and for those watching on their gods, the TVs.

So, maybe 1 minute of raised pulses before an hour and a half of slumber.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 08:42 (Ref:3661806)   #1962
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You might also find the smart one drying their grid slots for the later standing starts as well.
They will also be drying (or moving the standing water from) the grid slots of their competitors, whether they are travelling in a straight line or weaving.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 18:21 (Ref:3661897)   #1963
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I see where they are going to red flag rather than display double yellows in qually from now on. I wonder how many spins we will see that cause red flags.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125512

I suspect qually will end up being a complete mess and they will end up having to change it again.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 02:48 (Ref:3661968)   #1964
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

seriously wow!!!

I think from what we saw of qualy it's safe to say that Charlie had to wait for direction from Beccles to show him the way....
Old 30 Jul 2016, 08:30 (Ref:3661989)   #1965
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
If a driver regularly goes beyond the track limits I assume he has a reason to do so, I am pretty sure this is not because it is a slower way round the track.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3662008)   #1966
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If a driver regularly goes beyond the track limits I assume he has a reason to do so, I am pretty sure this is not because it is a slower way round the track.
Absolutely.......either it allows a quicker exit from the corner, or its because the car can't be held within the track limits at the speed the driver took the corner - ie he was travelling faster and therefore at least potentially gained an advantage......

Its a no-brainer, club competitors in UK are routinely being penalized for exceeding track limits - even in many cases given a pretty picture to prove the point (fortunately when I was given one it was my race-partner who was driving ) - so if it can happen at that level, I don't see any reason why the "pinnacle" of our sport struggle to enforce the limits.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3662012)   #1967
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I see where they are going to red flag rather than display double yellows in qually from now on. I wonder how many spins we will see that cause red flags.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125512

I suspect qually will end up being a complete mess and they will end up having to change it again.
Another complete nonsense......every other level of the sport can cope with the concept that double-waved yellows means "danger, slow down and be prepared to stop" - its only the arrogance of the odd individual that translates this into "I know better, I can just lift momentarily then go flat out again before passing any green".

Simple solution, that was tacitly, at least, understood until last weekend - you can't set personal best times in a sector if you've passed yellows to do so. That means its a rule, not a personal opinion - just like we can all argue that its safe to do 90+ on a quiet motorway, but it doesn't alter the fact that its an offence if caught.......
Old 6 Aug 2016, 21:27 (Ref:3663884)   #1968
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Toto Wolff wants track limits to be abolished letting the drivers use any tarmac they want.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wo...n-offs-805694/

So that means that Copse at Silverstone will probably be half way to Towcester,
turns 3,4&5 at CoTA will be a straight and Les Combes at Spa will be some place called Malmedy (did they not go that way a few years back?).
Old 6 Aug 2016, 21:37 (Ref:3663889)   #1969
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Grass, gravel or astroturf.

How is this made into something this complicated? No doubt an overly complex "solution" will be thought up and then unceremoniously dumped when it doesn't work and everyone hates it.
Old 7 Aug 2016, 00:30 (Ref:3663903)   #1970
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i thought i was good at twisting a point around to make my case about this or that....but wolff's point is a true master class of logic bending.

he would do well on this forum!

i guess if i have an issue with his view its that as sports fans, regardless of which sports we follow, we all have an innate understanding of what constitues the playing surface.

i dont think when we see a player go out of bounds we are confused that it leads to a penalty. we actually expect it to happen. when it does and it goes unpunished then we get confused.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 04:13 (Ref:3664234)   #1971
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Grass, gravel or astroturf.
Why can't we use those stingers that the police use for stolen or speeding vehicles. Lay them just on the far side of every kerb and as if by magic after 2 practice sessions every driver be able to keep their car on track.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 09:04 (Ref:3664283)   #1972
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
One suggestion is to separate the bike tracks from the GP tracks. However they only mention F1 and Moto GP and most tracks oper with more series than these two.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/op...limits-804954/

It was interesting to note the differences in lap times at CoTA between the WEC and IMSA sanctioned events for the same cars where different track limit rules apply.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 14:27 (Ref:3664356)   #1973
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Quote:
One suggestion is to separate the bike tracks from the GP tracks. However they only mention F1 and Moto GP and most tracks oper with more series than these two.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/op...limits-804954/

It was interesting to note the differences in lap times at CoTA between the WEC and IMSA sanctioned events for the same cars where different track limit rules apply.
Regarding the differing curbing requirements for motorcycles vs. four wheels. Here is the quote from the article...

Quote:
However, the track limits must then be enforced by substantial kerbing – and this is where the true problem lies. Because the motorcycle fraternity has pushed for lower kerbs to help the safety of its ultra-exposed riders, the requirement is now diametrically opposed to the four-wheeled brigade.
If you read the closed cockpit thread you will see I am very much an advocate for safety improvements. An argument that is commonly tossed out is the inherent dangers of racing. One variation of that argument is that MotoGP racers have it much worse so basically shut up. I find the irony interesting in that the bike group wants lower curbs for safety purposes. My point being that everyone somewhat acts as if all is equal except for cockpit protection when it is not. The point of the quote and the idea of separate tracks is that it's not quite easy to treat bike and cars as "apple to apple" with respect to safety concerns. To be clear, I am NOT asking the bike group to suck it up and deal with high curbs.

I do find the option of separate bike and car tracks silly. It's hard enough to financial justify one track let alone two in which each might get half of the normal usage (twice the cost, half the value).

Richard
Old 8 Aug 2016, 23:10 (Ref:3664461)   #1974
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expect this picture will induce much foaming of the mouth, and gnashing of teethes among some of you guys.
To millions of others it is perfectly normal.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 06:22 (Ref:3664517)   #1975
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
I expect this picture will induce much foaming of the mouth, and gnashing of teethes among some of you guys.
To millions of others it is perfectly normal.
How can something that happens less than 6% of the time during the NASCAR season be normal?