Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Mar 2007, 20:53 (Ref:1870749)   #176
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is NASCAR that has to worry about being relevant and 'eco-friendly' and not SRO, ACO, and IMSA.

David Phillips on CNN reporter and driver Jeff Burton:

"To hear the reporter or her interview with Jeff Burton, NASCAR is boldly going where no race series has gone before [using unleaded fuel instead of leaded fuel], is so environmentally sensitive as to make the Sierra Club and Greenpeace look like fronts for the “wise use” movement."

- http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/35575/

NASCAR finally uses unleaded fuel:
http://www.the-paddock.net/motorspor...iew/241149/91/
Old 18 Mar 2007, 23:10 (Ref:1870944)   #177
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I do agree on the fact that mankind is poluting this planet,but what annoyes me is the fact that people stare themselves blind on CO2.
For instance,CFK's were(are) a very agressive gas for the ozon layer. The use of which is now brought back so far that the ozon layer is recovering. The same accounts for the use of stuff like DDT,back in the late 60's early 70's,which was also banned quite effectively.

As sad by Davemk7,the efforts made by racing teams will be pushed aside for environmentally friendly racecars simply don't fit into the plans of this huge CO2 lobby. "Racingcars are bad anyhow" is what they'll say.
It's quite obvious that these people will not be stopped by dry facts,they want heads rolling...
Old 19 Mar 2007, 01:32 (Ref:1871007)   #178
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
I do agree on the fact that mankind is poluting this planet,but what annoyes me is the fact that people stare themselves blind on CO2.
For instance,CFK's were(are) a very agressive gas for the ozon layer. The use of which is now brought back so far that the ozon layer is recovering. The same accounts for the use of stuff like DDT,back in the late 60's early 70's,which was also banned quite effectively.

As sad by Davemk7,the efforts made by racing teams will be pushed aside for environmentally friendly racecars simply don't fit into the plans of this huge CO2 lobby. "Racingcars are bad anyhow" is what they'll say.
It's quite obvious that these people will not be stopped by dry facts,they want heads rolling...
Whether or not CFK had anything to do with ozone hole is still scientific theorty, read more, but the same theorists that guessed what was going on with the ozone, now are admitting that the closing of the ozone is part of the reason for global warming.
Read more, and not just the parts you want to read.

I will not give a link, I am not a library, search or go to a real library and read science journals, which the drive-by media is loath to do.

One kudo to NPR, it was there I heard the article mentioned about the ozone and global warming.

Bob
Old 19 Mar 2007, 07:19 (Ref:1871074)   #179
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
If you don't mind,I stay at home and check out all kind of internetsites. Out here in the city were I live,there's a big university which has a pretty good librarysite Imho,one can allways read more.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 12:56 (Ref:1872293)   #180
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In response to the critics of the TV program shown in the UK that debunked the global warming champions, here is the a statment from the film maker.

Quote:
'The global-warmers were bound to attack, but why are they so feeble?'

Last Updated: 11:20pm GMT 17/03/2007

'The Great Global Warming Swindle', broadcast by Channel 4, put the case for scepticism about man-made climate change. The programme sparked a heated debate and charges of scientific inaccuracy. Here, its director, Martin Durkin, responds to the critics.

On March 8, Channel 4 broadcast my programme. Since then, supporters of the theory of man-made global warming have published frothing criticism. I am attacked for using an "old" graph depicting temperature over the past 1,000 years. They say I should have used a "new" graph - one used by Al Gore, known as the "hockey stick", because it looks like one.

But the hockey stick has been utterly discredited. The computer programme used to generate it was found to produce hockey-stick shapes even when fed random data (I refer readers to the work of McIntyre & McKitrick and to the Wegman Report, all available on the internet). Other than the discredited hockey stick, the graph used by us (and published by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) is the standard, accepted record of temperature in this period.
advertisement

A critic claims that one of the graphs cited by us, illustrating the extraordinarily close correlation between solar variation and temperature change, has since been "corrected". It most certainly has not. The graph was produced by Prof Eigil Friis-Christensen, the head of the Danish National Space Centre, who says it still stands. But if the global-warmers don't like that graph, there are plenty of others that say the same thing.

No one any longer seriously disputes the link between solar activity and temperature in earth's climate history. I urge readers to look up on the net: Veizer, Geoscience Canada, 2005; and Soon, Geophysical Research Letters, 2005.

In the film, we used three graphs depicting temperature change in the 20th century. On one there was an error in the dates on the bottom. This was corrected for the second transmission of the programme, on More4, last Monday. It made no difference. Global-warmers can pick whichever graph they like. The problem for them remains the same. The temperature rise at the beginning of the century (prior to 1940, when human emissions of CO2 were relatively insignificant) was as great, most graphs show greater, than the temperature rise at the end of the century.

So what else do they hit me with? Prof Carl Wunsch, of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who appeared in the film, later claimed he was duped into taking part. He was not.

The remarkable thing is not that I was attacked. But that the attacks have been so feeble. The ice-core data was the jewel in the global-warming crown, cited again and again as evidence that carbon dioxide 'drives' the earth's climate. In fact, as its advocates have been forced to admit, the ice-core data says the opposite. Temperature change always precedes changes in CO2 by several hundred years. Temperature drives CO2, not the other way round. The global-warmers do not deny this. They cannot.

During the post-war economic boom, while industrial emissions of CO2 went up, the temperature went down (hence the great global-cooling scare in the 1970s). Why? They say maybe the cooling was caused by SO2 (sulphur dioxide) produced by industry. But they say it mumbling under their breath, because they know it makes no sense. Thanks to China and the rest, SO2 levels are far, far higher now than they were back then. Why isn't it perishing cold?

Too many journalists and scientists have built their careers on the global-warming alarm. Certain newspapers have staked their reputation on it. The death of this theory will be painful and ugly. But it will die. Because it is wrong, wrong, wrong.
Hopefully the critics of global warming theory will be able to build on this.

The problem in the UK at least is that the entire Gov budget is now dependent on squeezing more tax from us based on the warming theory. With the revene falling from tabacco sales it needs to be replaced as I heard someone suggest the other day, and what better, than a tax on fuel under the cover of eco ness.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 18:44 (Ref:1872495)   #181
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good stuff Nordic.

I would think that anytime the brits can rally against the Government to lower taxes is more important then any GW issues.

If and when Governments TAX their citizens to death, then GW is the least of that governments worries. Cival wars have started for less.
Old 20 Mar 2007, 19:30 (Ref:1872526)   #182
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
In response to the critics of the TV program shown in the UK that debunked the global warming champions, here is the a statment from the film maker.

Hopefully the critics of global warming theory will be able to build on this.

The problem in the UK at least is that the entire Gov budget is now dependent on squeezing more tax from us based on the warming theory. With the revene falling from tabacco sales it needs to be replaced as I heard someone suggest the other day, and what better, than a tax on fuel under the cover of eco ness.
the government use anything as a mask to generate more taxes, the press and media and the government are pushing global warming more than ever before.

but people ARE losing interest and are beggining to question, does going green mean having to pay £3 a mile to drive in our cars?, trains and buses are already terribly overcrowded so how the hell are they going to cope with another 10 million from cars into trains and buses and possibly more?.

as well do the government honestly think that road pricing is an option?, its just using the old excuse of "being green, reducing carbon emissions, ooga booga", and as well what the hell do tony blair, gordon brown and that disgusting oaff of a man john prescott know about global warming and climate change.

the answer my friends is NOTHING.

the government got the message when 2 million people protested the road pricing bill, imo just another way of crapping on the working class in this country and helping the so called less fortunate, yeah i want to see my taxes paying for junkies to have shopping vouchers, free car's and free drugs to satisfy their needs.

SO WHAT THE HELL ABOUT MY NEEDS AND GOOD PEOPLES NEEDS!!!!!

rant over phew
Old 21 Mar 2007, 11:01 (Ref:1872989)   #183
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've tried to keep out of political arguments since they can often be nasty. DJ choc ice - I agree 100%.

I can only speak for the UK but all too often it seems, or at least the impression I get, is that the government takes genuine issues and simply spins them around in yet another plot to take money off us all. There is very little that they appear to take seriously besides their own bank balances.

If people really need to use a road then they will do so weather it costs money or not. Charging to use a road isn't going to stop anyone from making their journeys, it'll just anger people a little more instead, whilst the government starts smiling when their pay cheque gets even bigger.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 19:05 (Ref:1873247)   #184
Bob Riebe
Veteran

They just showed Algore babbling asinine BS on Headline News, and they call that news.
The "Earth has a fever", and Algore has dung for brains.

There is a saying about the blind leading the blind, in this case it is the morons leading the fools.
Bob
Old 21 Mar 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1873426)   #185
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
They just showed Algore babbling asinine BS on Headline News, and they call that news.
The "Earth has a fever", and Algore has dung for brains.

There is a saying about the blind leading the blind, in this case it is the morons leading the fools.
Bob
Algore is from Tennessee. The only thing good that came out of Tennessee is Jack Danials, and birth of contry music. Other then that they still inter-marry their . . . . . .
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:17 (Ref:1873439)   #186
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok let us lok at our historical stories as well
before we doom motorsports.
In the 70's the world was going to cool and a big ice age was coming...then deforestation was to blame for rising grennhouse gasses- 80's
90-00's it appears the car and emissions are the new culprit in this.
early racers ran alcohol, methanol, benzene, Nitro whatever to go fast and did so. the alcohols really aren't a problem i think environmentally, and we can adapt technology to make it work well
"bio diesels" are another option for stuff like this.
no one person has a handle on any of this global warming stuff. is it part of the cycle? or is it really man made chaos?
how accurate were our methods for recording data within the last couple of centuries anyway?
well we can go hybrid...but batteries are in the long term worse than regular fuels....
why not compressed air tank piston motors? and at pit stops we fill up the air tank-all from an electric pump. genious! we get the roar of the motor and the enviromental goodness- and no fires
(some french company i believe has developed this tech quite well and our into production for short term driving and municipal vehicles) they get about 200klicks a tank of air and you'd never hear the difference of this and a gas motor...
Old 22 Mar 2007, 10:35 (Ref:1873674)   #187
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done gttouring you have read the question that this thread posed and made some real suggestions instead of the political bickering that has been going on.

Does anyone know anything more about this type of technology, or have other suggestions to make? Sportscar racing as a test bed is where we should look to be, at least some of the time
Old 22 Mar 2007, 17:19 (Ref:1873873)   #188
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
why not compressed air tank piston motors? and at pit stops we fill up the air tank-all from an electric pump. genious! we get the roar of the motor and the enviromental goodness- and no fires
(some french company i believe has developed this tech quite well and our into production for short term driving and municipal vehicles) they get about 200klicks a tank of air and you'd never hear the difference of this and a gas motor...
The Stanley Steamer was decades ahead of its time, let's go steam.
There is pleanty of coal out there and we can develope coal precesses in the deal.
Go Steam!

Bob
Old 22 Mar 2007, 18:15 (Ref:1873913)   #189
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The Stanley Steamer was decades ahead of its time, let's go steam.
There is pleanty of coal out there and we can develope coal precesses in the deal.
Go Steam!

Bob
Steam still uses fossil fuels to produce heat! Ergo same ol' problem with greenhouse gasses!!
Old 12 Apr 2007, 13:40 (Ref:1889716)   #190
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man
The above was my original question in post #1 and the answer would seem to be a firm NO, not our problem!

The fans that read and contribute to this website either don't believe there is a problem or those that do see a problem are happy to leave it to someone else to solve and want to simply keep driving round racing circuits waiting for those in government to "do something".

Believe me, they will
Take a look at this:

http://cde.cerosmedia.com/ef900486dc...fee9f92635.cde
Old 12 Apr 2007, 14:24 (Ref:1889744)   #191
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
p.24 " . . . energy-efficancy will be more important then horsepower."
Old 12 Apr 2007, 14:54 (Ref:1889760)   #192
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
A BS rag hyping their agenda, much like the hollywood leeches who cry for the poor but expect you to feel guilty as they are tucking their multi-millions in the bank.

Big show for profit, nothing more.
It is a bot like Chicken Little crying the sky is falling and theh saying but if you bow to me I can stop it.

Bob
Old 12 Apr 2007, 15:56 (Ref:1889811)   #193
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
p.24 " . . . energy-efficancy will be more important then horsepower."
im sure it is, without horsepower the car wont move, therefore rendering energy efficiency utterly useless
Old 12 Apr 2007, 16:46 (Ref:1889848)   #194
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota have stopped selling sports cars in Britain, no new MR2 or celica's are being sold as part of a ECO image branding. Strange that the huge Amazon 4WD is still available but it points the direction car firms are going to take.

While on Holiday I came across a leaflet for the Eden Project. They are currently having what they call a 'Sexy Green Motor show'. As part of that show there is a Lola P1 car on display, the team behind it are called D1 oils. Not sure if its ever going to race, but its good to see the so called Greens embracing motorsport.
http://www.edenproject.com/files/SGCS_programme.pdf
Old 12 Apr 2007, 17:37 (Ref:1889889)   #195
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
While on Holiday I came across a leaflet for the Eden Project. They are currently having what they call a 'Sexy Green Motor show'. As part of that show there is a Lola P1 car on display, the team behind it are called D1 oils. Not sure if its ever going to race, but its good to see the so called Greens embracing motorsport.
http://www.edenproject.com/files/SGCS_programme.pdf
That's the old Taurus diesel Lola.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1889895)   #196
Bob Riebe
Veteran

And the hypocrisy churns on--in todays newspaper there is an article about what someone here mentioned in one of these threads--turning used frying oil into "bio" diesel fuel.

As the article went on the negatives mainly were that the "subsidies" were less for turning pre-existing oil into fuel, than using green products (from farm land that used to be used for feeding people and animals).

The farm spokesman said they had tried turning fat into fuel and it was not as easy as growing it and converting it--but the "fat" his word, he spoke of was chicken fat, which is a different animal from veggy oil.

His bottom line was the "subsidy" was not as high, reducing "PROFITS". (the sub. for green is 1.00: for used cooking oil--.50)

Of course these so called profits are tax payers money being used to pay people to grow something for a hair-brained gov. scheme; meanwhile, more and more articles are being written about how "bio fuels" (to use a term the ignorant love so well) are causing the price of foods, and feed vital to farmers, to increase drastically.
Some cattle farmers are reducing or totally selling herds as they cannot afford to feed them.

Here iin Minn. they are speaking of farmers planting 100 percent Corn, for the "bio" BS. Let's see that French lady said "let them eat cake", I guess here the cry must be--"let them eat corn meal, or go hungry"!

Bob
Old 12 Apr 2007, 19:07 (Ref:1889949)   #197
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
im sure it is, without horsepower the car wont move, therefore rendering energy efficiency utterly useless
Cheers
Old 12 Apr 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1889955)   #198
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Here iin Minn. they are speaking of farmers planting 100 percent Corn, for the "bio" BS. Let's see that French lady said "let them eat cake", I guess here the cry must be--"let them eat corn meal, or go hungry"!

Bob
an Bob as we know with out yearly crop rotation the soil will go to chit and nothing can be planted and grow.

and has any one ever smelled a bio-deisel running on vegtable or animal fat oil?? ack The smell of leaded fuel is a pleasure after getting a wiff of bio-deisel
Old 15 Apr 2007, 09:58 (Ref:1891658)   #199
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
an Bob as we know with out yearly crop rotation the soil will go to chit and nothing can be planted and grow.

and has any one ever smelled a bio-deisel running on vegtable or animal fat oil?? ack The smell of leaded fuel is a pleasure after getting a wiff of bio-deisel
I for one can be as near as hypnotised be the intense smell of high octany fuel. Sometimes I buy octanebooster for my car,and when I take a whiff of that stuff,my girl has to eventually pull me of it!!
Old 15 Apr 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1891744)   #200
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
I for one can be as near as hypnotised be the intense smell of high octany fuel. Sometimes I buy octanebooster for my car,and when I take a whiff of that stuff,my girl has to eventually pull me of it!!

Ohhhhh the Smell of High Octane race fuel Exhuast from these engines, plus the smell of burnt rubber, brake dust, HEAT coming of the engines and brakes, the flow of testosterone and adrenline in the race paddock.

That is the ULTIMATE RUSH. Then you strap into the drivers seat and take the grid for the GREEN FLAG, installation lap, back the grid, rev the motor up to 2200 rpms, for the standing starts, GLEEN FLAG DROPS, Clutch pops out rear tires splin and OFF goes the race. Ohhh Damn there is nothing like it.

No wonder my wife no longer comes to my events.

a Crack Cocain habbit would be cheaper