Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 19 Jun 2011, 17:10 (Ref:2901919)   #176
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I like it alot.

Using the first image you posted as a reference, I think Dylan has a good suggestion.

I'd use the first 2 turns of the uphill mountain section, then bring the track down on to the floor running along the south of the track. Yes - it'd be a tight squeeze, but with a straight and a short complex at the end, you could definitely have a good little track there!

Great stuff. Imo it's not your flat out 'best' track design, but I appreciate that's because you've built this in to an environment and therefore given yourself some limitations, which, tbh is alot more admirable and challenging.

I rekon the addition of the shorter/ground track would really top this one off. Looking forward to seeing what you can do!

I'm starting to try and get my head round the elevations etc on BTB now so you never know, this might be a possiblilty!

I like the look of your last one, too.

Selby
Old 20 Jun 2011, 14:38 (Ref:2902406)   #177
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive read the comments and updated the track. The improvements ive made are -shorter S/F straight to allow more space for club circuit, T2 becomes a proper corner, T4 chicane has been altered to allow for club circuit hairpin and improved safety, new two tiered grandstand and longer gravel trap for final turn. No changes have been made to the mountain section of the track.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1.png   Picture 2.png   Picture 3.png  

Picture 4.png  
Old 3 Jul 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2917314)   #178
moeom2005
Rookie

moeom2005 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man, your tracks are so sweet i would just love to race in them. Good work mate. That last one is just insane by the way. The elevation on the 'Canyon' might be the best part as you drive around and see everything under you. The view would be the important part of this track and its well done.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 13:49 (Ref:2941735)   #179
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, now that would be exiting to race. And imagine the view you have from a hillsite. Well done.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 02:03 (Ref:2941930)   #180
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the circuit a lot!

I only get too scared by the cliffs! Hope you put real barriers on the perimeter!
Old 10 Sep 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2953461)   #181
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
September 1

Thanks for the comments. 3.5mi Clockwise S/F-T3 20m T3-T4 20m
Attached Thumbnails

Picture 4.png  
Old 11 Sep 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2954097)   #182
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OMG, that looks fabulous. And I think the first half is a blast to drive. Especially if you enjoy a technical challenge. After turn 11, it gets a bit boring, with only hairpins and square corners. Why not replace the 12-15 complex with a wide open hairpin, that halfway marks the start of the climb, and at the end of the climb a wide open fast righthander directly onto the straight. It will shorten the lap quite a lot, but it is quite long now, so no problem for me.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 07:15 (Ref:2954828)   #183
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. You really got the 'midas touch'.

It'd be such a shame if you didn't put this to good use..!!! I'd quite like to make another of your tracks again.

Selby
Old 13 Sep 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2954838)   #184
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you already know what I'm going to say, but if you don't I'm going to say it anyway.

I have concerns about the pit exit. it shouldn't be right on turn in, and instead should be placing the cars on the middle of the corner, like at Jerez, but a little shallower.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2954947)   #185
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I share your concern about the pit exit, but I'd go the other way, and suggest that the long pit exit is not required.

Instead I'd go for a short exit, just far enough after the apex of T1 to be safe, whilst the other cars are on the outside of the circuit, before the racing line brings them back across to where the current pit exit is.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 13:18 (Ref:2954961)   #186
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathrim View Post
I think you already know what I'm going to say, but if you don't I'm going to say it anyway.

I have concerns about the pit exit. it shouldn't be right on turn in, and instead should be placing the cars on the middle of the corner, like at Jerez, but a little shallower.
I had the same concerns when designing it. I was originally going to have the pit lane on the other side of the track with the main stand having a view of the rest of the track, however i ran into problems with both entry and exit, so that wasnt a solution. I was then thinking of having a Abu Dhabi style tunnel going under the kink and exiting after T1 but then the exiting cars would be on inside line of T2, plus it would be expensive to build in real life.

So what ive done is put a yellow line on the track which cars exiting and cars on the track cannot cross. That yellow line stops and is replaced with a gap and then a diagonal and perpendicular yellow line. This is for cars that are exiting the pits and can carry on as if the first yellow line carried on to T1 if the track is full and to stop cars crossing the line if theyre not exiting the pits. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
It'd be such a shame if you didn't put this to good use..!!! I'd quite like to make another of your tracks again.

Selby
On you go. You, infact anyone who wants to create my tracks for rFactor or whatever please feel free to do so since i dont have the tools to do it myself. If you need any help just PM me, i'll be happy to help. (Although i might be doing a update of this track with a Turn 8 style long right hander after the climb.)
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 5.png  

Last edited by SpeedingTortoise; 13 Sep 2011 at 13:23.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2954992)   #187
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingTortoise View Post
I had the same concerns when designing it. I was originally going to have the pit lane on the other side of the track with the main stand having a view of the rest of the track, however i ran into problems with both entry and exit, so that wasnt a solution. I was then thinking of having a Abu Dhabi style tunnel going under the kink and exiting after T1 but then the exiting cars would be on inside line of T2, plus it would be expensive to build in real life.

So what ive done is put a yellow line on the track which cars exiting and cars on the track cannot cross. That yellow line stops and is replaced with a gap and then a diagonal and perpendicular yellow line. This is for cars that are exiting the pits and can carry on as if the first yellow line carried on to T1 if the track is full and to stop cars crossing the line if theyre not exiting the pits. Hope that helps.
That doesn't avoid the problem. there is still a risk of collision at that point in the circuit. Overextension is the only solution unless you tunnel.

A better solution IMO would be:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pit correction.png
Views:	16
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	35074

Where the thin black line is where I THINK the racing line is, and the thick line being the route of the pits as I would do it (make the thicker line slightly more towards the right on exit, it's a basic concept that can be modified).
Old 14 Sep 2011, 00:44 (Ref:2955214)   #188
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A graphic of my suggestion for the pit exit.

The Yellow line is obviously an approximation of the racing line.

The length of the white don't cross line is dependant on scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1 copy.jpg  
Old 20 Sep 2011, 14:00 (Ref:2958531)   #189
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
September 2

Thanks guys for the comments. I decided not to do an update of my last track because i couldnt quite get the last section right and thpught the section i had was good enough. Anyway heres my latest
Full - 3.6mi Short - 2.8mi +Final chicane +0.1mi Clockwise No Elevation Run off at last corner goes under grandstand
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1.png   Picture 2.png   Picture 4.png  

Old 20 Sep 2011, 18:56 (Ref:2958696)   #190
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Quote:
Thanks guys for the comments. I decided not to do an update of my last track because i couldnt quite get the last section right and thpught the section i had was good enough. Anyway heres my latest
Full - 3.6mi Short - 2.8mi +Final chicane +0.1mi Clockwise No Elevation Run off at last corner goes under grandstand
this screams of TI Aida, but it's far better.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 23:04 (Ref:2958827)   #191
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The Exit of the link road needs the wall pushed back, either quite a bit if just grass, or not as much if gravel.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2962920)   #192
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
September 3

Thanks again for the comments. Full 3.3mi Short 1.6mi Anticlockwise Elevation -Highest (T7+8)-Lowest (T3+T16) 80m
S/F-T3 -20m T3-T4 +40m T6-T7 +20m T8-T9-T10 -20m T13-T14-T15 -20m T15-T16 -20m T16-T17 +20m
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 5.png   Picture 7.png  
Old 9 Oct 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2968216)   #193
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Full - 4.3mi Short - 2.2mi Anti-clockwise Bridge Elevation 15m
Attached Thumbnails

Picture 4.png  
Old 11 Oct 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2969497)   #194
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh! *stunned look on face*

September 1 is really amazing. I do understand what the pitlane exit problem is all about but nevertheless, this is one of the best tracks posted on this board ever.

September 3 is pretty good as well. And it would flow well in both directions. In fact, I'd like it even better clockwise. Its blot shape makes it a cousin of the Nürburgring GP Circuit, but September 3 is the better one.

September 2 could do well without that Mickey-Mousey section atop of the paddock. Please think about a kinked straight in its place. It would fit the character of the track much better.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2972909)   #195
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
September 1 Update

After seeing the Rosberg/Algersuari incident in Practice 2 of the Korean GP and hearing the amount of criticism afterwards, i decided to do an update after thinking a similar situation could happen. The update includes a new final section and S/F straight, the pit lane and grandstand swapping sides and an Abu Dhabi-style tunnel for the pit entrence. This has reduced the lap length to 3.1mi.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 17 Oct 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2972928)   #196
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another way to solve the problem would be to put in a right hand kink after the last corner and have the pit entrance slightly after the kink.
This may mean changing the last corner to leave the straight in the same position.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2973000)   #197
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Rather than the tunnel, why not just have a Malaysia type pit entry on the outside of the final corner, after the apex.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 16:38 (Ref:2973350)   #198
Wild Dog
Rookie

Denmark
Denmark
Wild Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some very nice tracks here. What program do you use?
Old 18 Oct 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2973512)   #199
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
Some very nice tracks here. What program do you use?
I use Google Sketchup. Theres a good tutorial in these forums tht helped me make my first few tracks. http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120325
Old 19 Oct 2011, 07:34 (Ref:2973704)   #200
Wild Dog
Rookie

Denmark
Denmark
Wild Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I use Google Sketchup. Theres a good tutorial in these forums tht helped me make my first few tracks. http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120325
Thanks