Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Nov 2005, 22:20 (Ref:1469687)   #176
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re Seat's BTCC plan, Autosport have a story that Jamie Puig is threatening to pull the UK arm out of the series and take the team to the WTCC next year unless TOCA answer's some questions.

But do you really need 8 WTCC cars ??
Old 25 Nov 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1469856)   #177
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think one of Seat's main spurs is TV. WTCC has Eurosport and will now also be on ITV, while the BTCC has not yet confirmed its TV package. So for Seat UK its a case of work out your budget, select the right series and then finalise the drivers.

as for running 8 WTCC cars - exactly how many cars does BMW have out there?????
Old 25 Nov 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1469970)   #178
Lord X
Rookie

Lord X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way I read it was that WTCC hope to be on ITV - there's not been an official announcement yet. I'm not saying it won't happen ... only believe it when you see it. Note all the talk is from the WTCC.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1469984)   #179
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoutsider
as for running 8 WTCC cars - exactly how many cars does BMW have out there?????
This year they had 5 factory cars (2 BMW Germany, 2 BMW Italy-Spain and 1 BMW UK) and several privateers used BMW's. Next year there are probably 5 factory cars again.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1469998)   #180
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be nice to see Mazda return with the 3 or the 6....
Old 25 Nov 2005, 12:52 (Ref:1470014)   #181
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think SEAT has done really well from competing in the BTCC with fantastic exposure to the UK market. It would be silly to pull out now as the BTCC is the only series SEAT can advertise their cars in the UK.

Also remember last year when Alan Gow said there would be more manufacturers in 2006 and the only reason that a certain one wasn't in for 2005 was because it was too short notice? Who is this mystery manufacturer and what are the chances of seeing more than 2 manufacturers next year?
Old 25 Nov 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1470016)   #182
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF
I think SEAT has done really well from competing in the BTCC with fantastic exposure to the UK market. It would be silly to pull out now as the BTCC is the only series SEAT can advertise their cars in the UK.
Is there no SEAT Supercopa next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF
Also remember last year when Alan Gow said there would be more manufacturers in 2006 and the only reason that a certain one wasn't in for 2005 was because it was too short notice? Who is this mystery manufacturer and what are the chances of seeing more than 2 manufacturers next year?
Kia?
Old 25 Nov 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1470059)   #183
newoutsider
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
This year they had 5 factory cars (2 BMW Germany, 2 BMW Italy-Spain and 1 BMW UK) and several privateers used BMW's. Next year there are probably 5 factory cars again.
and the 'privateers' seem to be very close to the factory, so it isn't unreasonable for Seat to counter. current plans are 3 works (Spain) cars, 3 semi-works (Oreca) cars, psobably 2 GR Asia cars (ex-works, not latest spec), so adding 2 maybe 3 works UK cars would simply help maintain the balance - and anyway, without Alfa, the series could do with more front runners to keep BMW honest!
Old 25 Nov 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1470066)   #184
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
The 6 SEAT Sport Leons (3 probably entered by Oreca) are full factory cars.

Tom Coronel said he was optimistec about racing a GR Asia Leon next season. Maybe the 2nd GR Asia car is driven again by local drivers (i.e. from Czech Rep. (Enge?), Brazil (Farfus?), Mexico, Turkey). With Coronel SEAT tries to win the indy championship and the local drivers are for publicity.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 13:53 (Ref:1470071)   #185
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Is there no SEAT Supercopa next year?
The Seat Cupra Championship will run in the UK next, they will use the same cars this year.

Quote:
Kia?
There was something in Autosport or Motorsport News saying that Kia have put there plans on the back burner for the time being.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1470074)   #186
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
The Seat Cupra Championship will run in the UK next, they will use the same cars this year.
So SEAT UK has a series to promote their brand.

Do they not switch to the new Leon?
Old 25 Nov 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1470079)   #187
newoutsider
Racer

not for another year
Old 25 Nov 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1470088)   #188
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Much as I enjoy the Seat Cupra series it is never going to be something that can be used to promote themselves. It has next to zero TV coverage and generally has a very low profile compared to WTCC or BTCC.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1470172)   #189
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And showing a SEAT Leon can beat a SEAT Leon isn't really showing much is it.

Much better for a SEAT Leon to be beating a Vauxhall Astra
Old 26 Nov 2005, 01:35 (Ref:1470460)   #190
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport and crash.net are both reporting VX's official line-up for 2006, so it's all official now!
Old 26 Nov 2005, 02:05 (Ref:1470484)   #191
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Much as I enjoy the Seat Cupra series it is never going to be something that can be used to promote themselves. It has next to zero TV coverage and generally has a very low profile compared to WTCC or BTCC.
But you can brag EVERY TIME that Seat (for the Cupra series) took the top 3 podium places!!

OTOH, how much does it cost to run/promote a one make series versus using the same money to field a BTCC or WTCC team?
Old 26 Nov 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1470666)   #192
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Autosport and crash.net are both reporting VX's official line-up for 2006, so it's all official now!
Interesting to see Giovanardi finally trying his hand in the BTCC. I remember rumours seven years ago that he might switch (and I think he was linked to Vauxhall that time too). He's certainly a quality driver, and will be a good benchmark for the home-grown talents. I have to admit that, for all I like to see young British drivers getting the breaks, I do miss the cosmopolitan nature of the Super Touring era.
Old 26 Nov 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1470671)   #193
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree - I would love to see more top foreign drivers competing in the BTCC. I miss the international level of competition we once had.

Bring back Vincent Radermecker and Peter Kox!
Old 26 Nov 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1470780)   #194
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Fabrizio Giovanardi is a huge coup for the BTCC, and I have no doubt his name will be on the BTCC trophy someday.

I'm scared by the prospect of the VX team next year with Gio and Chilton and what they can do with the Astra!
Old 26 Nov 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1470786)   #195
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BTCC is one of the few title Giovanardi has yet to win. Now if only Aiello could be tempted out of retirement and come back to the BTCC.

Would love to see arguably the best two modern day touring car drivers compete against each other.
Old 26 Nov 2005, 15:33 (Ref:1470790)   #196
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Mike Jordan confirmed
Old 26 Nov 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1470794)   #197
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Wasn't Givonardi linked with a drive in BTCC some years ago with an Alfa project that never appeared? I think it was back in like 1998 or something?
Old 26 Nov 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1470803)   #198
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Alfa's were intending to come over and 'visit' for one or two rounds that didn't conflict. Never happened though.
Old 26 Nov 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1470813)   #199
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Wasn't it down to the Alfa's being damaged and not being able to be repaired in time ?
Old 26 Nov 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1470831)   #200
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yea I remember Alfa entering Giovanardi and Larini in 1998, a shame that never happened. I'm glad Fabrizio is having a crack at the series, but it's perhaps not ideal that Chilton is alongside him - although he's clearly more talented than we all thoguht at first, does he deserve a championship-challenging drive? And will there be a third works car? Might be a good time to update on what is and isn't confirmed?