Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 Sep 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2284765)   #176
Joseph K
Rookie

Joseph K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
............... I only usually travel these ways weekly and dont live there so cant possibly pass judgement.........

Quite right
Old 8 Sep 2008, 15:41 (Ref:2284786)   #177
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
re my statement - there two bands of protesters - those that want a satisfactory solution to the noise - they need to give the circuit a chance to complete the bund etc that was agreed with the council and those that want to see the circuit closed down.
I live close to the circuit and the bund will help my ears as well - especially from the screaming motor bikes on bike track days that are more noisy than the actual racing.
My biggest concern is that MSV donot throw the "towell in" on the planned redevelopment - £15m is too big of an investment to lose for this rural area. Our children etc need local job opportunities etc plus the benefit this will bring to all the area
Old 8 Sep 2008, 16:47 (Ref:2284852)   #178
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO if the devolpment doesn't go through I can see MSV taking the money to a circuit & area that is populated with locals that are not blinkered to a fantastic opputunity to bring work, money & investment to the area.

How much would the land be worth to a property developer? Mind you they would only complain about the noise of the builders then!!! Plus there would also the noise of the extra people living there, extra noise from the schools, extra noise of the breath coming out of their mouths.
Oh dear it seems like it's just extra noise whatever happens.
The world's gone mad & is full of NIMBYs, sad sad state of affiars
Old 8 Sep 2008, 17:16 (Ref:2284870)   #179
snetmarshal
Racer

snetmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be interesting to know how long the people who are raising objections have lived there. The circuit has most likly been there a lot longer, also I would imagine is actually a lot quieter than in the old days when F1,F5000 sports car raced there or not so long ago when Lotus f1 team would turn up to test, with no noise restrictions, how many complaints were received when those cars raced? If they were not aware of the race circuit, well they should have looked into it further before buying, if they were and were told noise wasn't an issue, then prehaps they need to take legal action against the parties that told them this.

In fact every wednesday for the last 6 months I have been within 3 miles of circuit and not heard anything, so been interesting to know what areas the objections come from. I would be quite happy to visit these areas so to see if we are all being unreasonable and the noise is a major issue.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2285616)   #180
MG Racer
Rookie

England
Ipswich
MG Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph K

I'm afraid that diddy has not given a completely truthful picture in this statement. The protesters are calling for a satisfactory resolution for everybody concerned to the huge and very real noise problem, current and future, before any expansion of the actual racing track is sanctioned. The protesters have stated quite clearly that they have no problems whatsoever with the other elements of the proposed expansion, namely the hotel, showrooms, engineering workshops etc.

Those of you who do not actually live in the area so badly affected by the constant noise from the track on an almost daily basis are ill qualified to pass judgement on our particular problem.
Joseph K I am interested to understand your definition of constant noise from the track on a daily basis? Surely the very real noise problem has been reduced over the years as the noise level allowed by the MSA and trackdays has been reduced.

I do live within a mile from a short track circuit which generally operates at times when you are in the garden, bank holiday, weekends and late into the night. Can I hear it, yes I can but its been there a long time and I can hear the local dual carriageway more often and permanently than the track. Surely the A11 makes more noise all of the time than a circuit?

It does strike me that this campaign is a little futile attempt to shut the circuit down because someone has suggested investing and improving it. Ultimately a stance that will see no one benefiting - IMHO
Old 9 Sep 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2286116)   #181
GT3
Racer

United Kingdom
King's Lynn, Norfolk
GT3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Racer
...... and I can hear the local dual carriageway more often and permanently than the track. Surely the A11 makes more noise all of the time than a circuit?
When i've been at a meeting at Snett i've often camped over from the Friday to the Sunday, and I can hear the traffic from the A11. It's not loud, but a dull drone, which i think it worse TBH.

I can understand the noise from unrestricted bikes and cars being a pain, but give MSV a chance to do something about it. I have heard a rumour that JP wants the Touring Cars and FPA at Cadwell Park, wonder if he will look at putting the money there instead? :

So, if MSV take there investment elsewhere, and Snett closes, then what do the 'locals' have to look forward to?. I know, how about a nice, roudy housing estate full of Anti Social behaviour?

Let me think, what would i rather have.... some noise from a Racing Circuit or being told to off, or worse, by the local yob on the Housing Estate.....
Old 10 Sep 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2286319)   #182
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no constant noise at Snetterton or any other circuit. We all know that there are breaks between races, we all know there are lunch breaks, we all know that very few events go on into the evenings. We don't have to live there to know that, we simply are part of the industry and know how it works.
These objections are all part of the increasing view in this country that we are all entitled to total silence when we want it. This is a small country compared with its population and that belief is simply unworkable.
I am sure we all have some noise to put up with when in our gardens, in my case it is the A34, but I am big enough and fair minded enough to accept that normal people like me are making that noise on the A34 and so I must live and let live. The protestors at Snetterton, and other circuits have somehow got to develop a similar open minded approach to the lives of other people and accept that we are all trying to have a reasonable existance on an overcrowded island.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2286496)   #183
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I'm afraid that diddy has not given a completely truthful picture in this statement. The protesters are calling for a satisfactory resolution for everybody concerned to the huge and very real noise problem, current and future, before any expansion of the actual racing track is sanctioned. The protesters have stated quite clearly that they have no problems whatsoever with the other elements of the proposed expansion, namely the hotel, showrooms, engineering workshops etc.

Those of you who do not actually live in the area so badly affected by the constant noise from the track on an almost daily basis are ill qualified to pass judgement on our particular problem.
Just out of interest, and since you arae obviously one affected by the alleged noise, how long have you lived within earshot of the circuit?

James
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 14:49 (Ref:2286522)   #184
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3
I can understand the noise from unrestricted bikes and cars being a pain, but give MSV a chance to do something about it. I have heard a rumour that JP wants the Touring Cars and FPA at Cadwell Park, wonder if he will look at putting the money there instead? :
Cadwell must be too narrow for Touring cars -surely!!??? FPA as well....

Still, with enough cash the track could be widened....£15million should cover it....

Cadwell is my fave circuit though.......
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2286537)   #185
Joseph K
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
Just out of interest, and since you arae obviously one affected by the alleged noise, how long have you lived within earshot of the circuit?

James
27 years. From 1981 till October 2005 the track was scarcely audible, and most times totally inaudible. Since October 2005 it has become intolerable; totally out of order and out of place for a rural environment. There is no "alleged" noise. It is real noise, enough for the local council to have issued a noise abatement notice on the track in January 2007.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 15:45 (Ref:2286544)   #186
Joseph K
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pearson
There is no constant noise at Snetterton or any other circuit. We all know that there are breaks between races, we all know there are lunch breaks, we all know that very few events go on into the evenings. We don't have to live there to know that, we simply are part of the industry and know how it works.
These objections are all part of the increasing view in this country that we are all entitled to total silence when we want it. This is a small country compared with its population and that belief is simply unworkable.
I am sure we all have some noise to put up with when in our gardens, in my case it is the A34, but I am big enough and fair minded enough to accept that normal people like me are making that noise on the A34 and so I must live and let live. The protestors at Snetterton, and other circuits have somehow got to develop a similar open minded approach to the lives of other people and accept that we are all trying to have a reasonable existance on an overcrowded island.
You may be interested in a few facts. In June, July and August 2008 ( 92 calendar days ) the track ran for 86 days. Of these 86 days, a total of 32 ( 37% ) extended into the evening, one until 23.00, and then of course there was the 24 hour race. So far in these 10 days of September, the track has run 10 days with 4 days ( 40% ) encroaching on our evenings. On the track breaks between events are negligible and basically irrelevant in the total scheme of things. When you know you are going to have blocks of solid noise sometimes for hours on end, it is of little comfort to know that there will be a 10 minute pause before the next lot starts up. Of course there should be give and take, but up to now the track has been all take and no give whatsoever. I would also suggest that the A34, A11 or whatever, by and large is creating " useful " noise, delivering goods, getting people to work, ambulances etc. Also this noise is legally silenced.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2286546)   #187
snett fan55
Rookie

United Kingdom
near Norwich
snett fan55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear all,
just registered my support in as forthright a way as I could ,with the gutless people that run Breckland C.C.
I , too,fear that the "nimbys " have a very limited view in this matter,after all MSV are spending a fortune to try to give the residents what they claim to want-peace?
Old 10 Sep 2008, 16:08 (Ref:2286554)   #188
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Limited? I'd say it more "tunnel".But buy the sound of the tame one,it seems more like its down to trackdays as opposed to race days,when was the last race running till 23.00 hours?.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2286555)   #189
snetmarshal
Racer

snetmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been going to snet since the late 70's, I know for certain cars used to make far more noise than they do now. I used to go up to the circuit to watch F1 tests and the they definately far noisier than anything running now. But October 2005 suddenly noise increases.....nothing to do with hearing about plans......

Noise from 24hr... I was involved in meeting at times you can't even hear the cars within the circuit, they were only 2cv's!

But as GT3 stated, I am sure a large housing estate will be far more acceptable. And I am sure all the additional revenue won't be missed by the local businesses, whats a few more companies going to the wall and further unemployment, thats not intolerable to all concerned I am sure.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2286559)   #190
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know why this has all started,its the fresh air opening up the ear canals,only problem is theres nothing inbetween now!.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but dont we have to run better silencers now,I'm going to send mine back because it is obviously not doing what its supposed to do.

Last edited by terence; 10 Sep 2008 at 16:22.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 16:47 (Ref:2286572)   #191
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You may be interested in a few facts. In June, July and August 2008 ( 92 calendar days ) the track ran for 86 days. Of these 86 days, a total of 32 ( 37% ) extended into the evening, one until 23.00, and then of course there was the 24 hour race. So far in these 10 days of September, the track has run 10 days with 4 days ( 40% ) encroaching on our evenings. On the track breaks between events are negligible and basically irrelevant in the total scheme of things. When you know you are going to have blocks of solid noise sometimes for hours on end, it is of little comfort to know that there will be a 10 minute pause before the next lot starts up. Of course there should be give and take, but up to now the track has been all take and no give whatsoever. I would also suggest that the A34, A11 or whatever, by and large is creating " useful " noise, delivering goods, getting people to work, ambulances etc. Also this noise is legally silenced.

Can anyone else smell something??

And it's not carrots!! Something that might help them grow though
Old 10 Sep 2008, 18:34 (Ref:2286645)   #192
Joseph K
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Rugby
Can anyone else smell something??

And it's not carrots!! Something that might help them grow though
Must be on your boots. Try eating carrots, good for eyesight to help you watch where you're walking.

Apart from that which parts of my statements are you actually challenging and what can't you accept about them? Please list.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2286648)   #193
Joseph K
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snett fan55
Dear all,
just registered my support in as forthright a way as I could ,with the gutless people that run Breckland C.C.
I , too,fear that the "nimbys " have a very limited view in this matter,after all MSV are spending a fortune to try to give the residents what they claim to want-peace?
Then why isn't he doing something about it instead of just talking about it?

Last edited by Joseph K; 10 Sep 2008 at 18:46.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 18:44 (Ref:2286653)   #194
Joseph K
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Limited? I'd say it more "tunnel".But buy the sound of the tame one,it seems more like its down to trackdays as opposed to race days,when was the last race running till 23.00 hours?.
I don't think we're all expected to like the same things and maybe Palmer's vision when he took over the track should have included some appreciation of social responsibility to the local residents. Without a doubt the noise interference has increased enormously since his acquisition. You are quite correct; a lot of this is down to track and testing days, and the 23.00 finish was the day / night practice for the 24 hour race, which, incidentally, was perfectly audible on my property, although, in fairness, I have heard worse.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2286658)   #195
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snetmarshal
Noise from 24hr... I was involved in meeting at times you can't even hear the cars within the circuit, they were only 2cv's!
Have to agree there... If I can sleep in a tent withing the circuit with 2cvs driving 50ft away then how do you hear them in the surrounding villages?

Weekends there is a 6:30pm curfew, except for the one weekend a year that the 24hr race happens. Don't know the facts about track days, but any that I've been to also finish by 6:30
Old 10 Sep 2008, 19:16 (Ref:2286684)   #196
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Since October 2005 it has become intolerable; totally out of order and out of place for a rural environment.
So racing circuits are supposed to be in Urban environments, where there are lot's more people living?

The track has been there for years before 1981 as a legitimate enterprise, and as many have said todays cars are no louder than the Unsilenced cars from the 60's & 70's.

If a circuit wants to develop within it's current boundaries why is that a problem? This does not mean that the number of Race weekends and track days will increase. It just means that they will be higher profile and bring more money and jobs to the local area.

But you're not a 16 year old school leaver looking for a job are you, so why should we expect you to care?
Old 10 Sep 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2286704)   #197
Joseph K
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
So racing circuits are supposed to be in Urban environments, where there are lot's more people living?

The track has been there for years before 1981 as a legitimate enterprise, and as many have said todays cars are no louder than the Unsilenced cars from the 60's & 70's.

If a circuit wants to develop within it's current boundaries why is that a problem? This does not mean that the number of Race weekends and track days will increase. It just means that they will be higher profile and bring more money and jobs to the local area.

But you're not a 16 year old school leaver looking for a job are you, so why should we expect you to care?
No need to be abusive, unless this is typical of the track fraternity, which I can't believe. By all means let it develop, no problem, never has been, but with the development install commensurate noise limiting facilities. Not an unreasonable wish. Quoting the 60's and 70's is irrelevant to the problem today. Requirements change. In the 60's you could drive your car without a seat belt, smoke wherever you wanted to and build using asbestos etc. Today you can't. Do you understand? We just want the noise from the track contained better than it is at the moment. Palmer admitted to this problem at a meeting near to here in August 2006, and pledged to do something about it in 2007. Result so far on noise containment? - Zippo.

If you want us off your backs, hold the noise in where it belongs, on the circuit.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2286712)   #198
Joseph K
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Racer
Joseph K I am interested to understand your definition of constant noise from the track on a daily basis? Surely the very real noise problem has been reduced over the years as the noise level allowed by the MSA and trackdays has been reduced.

I do live within a mile from a short track circuit which generally operates at times when you are in the garden, bank holiday, weekends and late into the night. Can I hear it, yes I can but its been there a long time and I can hear the local dual carriageway more often and permanently than the track. Surely the A11 makes more noise all of the time than a circuit?

It does strike me that this campaign is a little futile attempt to shut the circuit down because someone has suggested investing and improving it. Ultimately a stance that will see no one benefiting - IMHO
Constant noise means pretty well just that. The track starts up each day it runs at 9am and normally stops at 5pm, unless it runs into the evenings, normally till 8pm or at weekends till 6.30 ish pm. The noise from the A11 is scarcely audible when the track is not running, and when the track runs the A11 vanishes totally, as do most other sounds. Please note that we are not campaigning to close the circuit down, never have been, but to get the effect of the noise pollution on the local populace significantly reduced, at least to the level it was pre October 2005.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 20:14 (Ref:2286717)   #199
GT3
Racer

United Kingdom
King's Lynn, Norfolk
GT3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
So racing circuits are supposed to be in Urban environments, where there are lot's more people living?:
As long as it gives them peace, and becomes someone elses problem then ...... YES!

Quote:
Or the idiot who scream up and down the A11 with a beancan for an exhaust....

AFAIK, track and test days are noise limited anyway. I think, but not 100% sure, they now run to MSA Noise Regulations. I know they are tested becasue on the Saturday morning some cars have a "MSV Passed Noise Test" sticker on the car, but the Enviromental Scruitneer will check the cars again. Plus, if during the meeting a car is noisy, then they called in and the Scruitneer checks the car again.

BTW, it's not all the circuits fault anyway, the MSA set the limits for race cars, but when different series run at different levels then they will always be noisy. A lot of people go for the sound of a nice V8!

May I ask about the lorry park which is right beside Snet, how much noise do they produce. A fair bit i would say by the size of the place, from dawn to dusk no doubt, but has anyone complained about them, or are they "useful" noise? Think i will complain, get the place closed down.... people will lose their jobs, but at least i can enjoy a cup of earl grey in the garden!

Quote:
Yeah totally agree.

BTW, the 2300 practice is a MSA requirement for anyone racing in the dark.....
Old 10 Sep 2008, 20:20 (Ref:2286719)   #200
Joseph K
Rookie

Yes they are a useful noise. No we never hear them, and you must have dead good hearing all the way from Lynn to Snetterton drinking your Earl Grey tea. Yet again a misconception that we are trying to get the track shut down. What's the matter with you people? Don't you bother to read?