Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Jun 2024, 19:27 (Ref:4216186)   #176
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The Mechachrome F2 and F3 engines are 3.4 liter turbocharged V6s, basically the same as the WEC engine. However, the F2 engine is rated at 620bhp for sprint races, not the 670+ that the LMDh/GTP engine is rated for over 24+ hours.

Audi Sport engine designer Ulrich Baretzky said that the most problems that engine designers or tuners run into is getting the last 20 or so HP out of an engine, and he should know from experience--he was also involved in the Brabham-BMW F1 engine program
Old 21 Jun 2024, 02:02 (Ref:4216220)   #177
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, A 50 bhp hole that this engine has, and they tried to meet that demand by taking it farther than the valves could withstand. Wanna bet it's the seals that failed?

When they rebuild these engines, the heads should be redesigned to handle at least 720.
Old 21 Jun 2024, 03:01 (Ref:4216222)   #178
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
Sounds like the valve train isn't engineered to take that increase in volumetric input from forced induction, as this is an N/A based F2 engine. You just can't slap a turbo on an engine, and expect it to just push out to without knowing what the internals can handle, or the rate of possible breakdown.

Kinda makes you wonder what the F1 team's engines have been dealing with over the last couple of years...

Porsche took the N/A RS spyder engine and made it turbocharged for the 963 hypercar but it is a very low boost application. It is not unthinkable.

Also, Renault was the first manufacturer to race a turbo engine in Formula One. It is their tradition and their history. I'm sure there are simple solutions to the problems. Unlike many others, Renault doesn't have their own engine that would suit this category. Mechachrome has been a partner of the Renault F1 engine program for a long time. It makes sense that they have collaborated.
Old 22 Jun 2024, 11:40 (Ref:4216388)   #179
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Could they re bore the engine to make it a larger capacity?
Old 26 Jun 2024, 09:25 (Ref:4216948)   #180
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Steve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It may even be a reliability joker.

But, when the WEC/LM program was announced a few years back it was said that Renault racing engines division at Viry would lead a big development on the engine side so that the original underfunded endurance Mecachrome machine would become a stellar one.
If they really had valve train issues, which is pretty fundamental, did they really do the job they promised ?
Old 26 Jun 2024, 12:09 (Ref:4216953)   #181
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And, in some ways, it sounds like the mid-70's where Renault was establishing both GP and Prototype/Le Mans entries, both using versions of the Renault-Gordini turbo V6 engine. And exactly as it was then, not only did they have small victories, they had major issues that had to be ironed out. Better to find them out now, and do the work to improve them.
Old Yesterday, 13:43 (Ref:4218055)   #182
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
Well I believe we can see what the real issue is, it's the entire PU, not just one component. Similar to the problems with the F1 PU, but minus the MGU-H.
Old Yesterday, 14:48 (Ref:4218070)   #183
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How do we know it’s the whole and not one part of the PU?
Old Yesterday, 15:16 (Ref:4218076)   #184
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We don't (with any decent certainty at least). But guys at Alpine should know (or am I too optimistic?). Myself I'd just use the VRX30A, the Mechachrome even with rework done at Viry is a just a bomb with unknown delay.
Old Yesterday, 15:39 (Ref:4218087)   #185
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
We don't (with any decent certainty at least). But guys at Alpine should know (or am I too optimistic?). Myself I'd just use the VRX30A, the Mechachrome even with rework done at Viry is a just a bomb with unknown delay.
+ 1. In french, when they say Viry Chatillon it means some issues could be fixed (in this case mostly they say its the turbo or a spark plug) when they say Mécachrome it means not Renault. Listening to the live during LM it was obvious that the ICE sounds like a bag of nails each time they start or restart it after a pit stop or long FCY.
Old Yesterday, 17:05 (Ref:4218105)   #186
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post

That would be simpler and probably more effective