Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Aug 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3114896)   #176
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
New anyway... but used is a different story. Typically GTE-Am are year old cars, and the price to purchase should be lower... unless it is a Ferrari with significant history.
Unless you pull a Tracy Krohn and have them built a new car to last year's specs.

IDK, but that's a loophole that really should be closed if it hasn't already.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3114984)   #177
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't Panoz crank out a few cars to put into LMP1 to help fill the ALMS grid?

That is what I would be doing if I were him.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 00:24 (Ref:3115007)   #178
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post

That is what I would be doing if I were him.
Panoz Group really doesn't have the capabilities anymore.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 00:56 (Ref:3115014)   #179
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Not LMP1. Some things are in the works.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 00:58 (Ref:3115015)   #180
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you mean more DeltaWings?
Old 2 Aug 2012, 00:59 (Ref:3115016)   #181
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Not LMP1. Some things are in the works.
I hope it is a return of the Abruzzi! or better yet a Panoz DP!

but it is probably just some Deltawings.....ho hum!
Old 2 Aug 2012, 01:20 (Ref:3115020)   #182
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry guys, can't say.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 12:14 (Ref:3115215)   #183
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

but it is probably just some Deltawings.....ho hum!
wat
Old 2 Aug 2012, 12:49 (Ref:3115238)   #184
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Sorry guys, can't say.
But is it for ALMS?
Old 2 Aug 2012, 15:39 (Ref:3115289)   #185
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

BTDT.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 17:15 (Ref:3115318)   #186
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry guys, can't say.
http://www.thestar.com/wheels/articl...ll-speed-ahead

I think the ideal fit is just to put this thing in LMP2
Old 2 Aug 2012, 18:51 (Ref:3115342)   #187
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post

Dig a hole and stick it in, seems to be a better fit to me.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3115425)   #188
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post

Look, Don. It's great that you did something that looked different and got some media attention. Neat. But the world doesn't need the Deltawing. There are far more attractive ways to package a car that has half the drag, half the horsepower and half the weight of a typical LMP1/LMP2 car (and it's actually only about 3/4 of LMP2 horsepower, so no wonder it was near P2 pace).

The American Le Mans Series, which you own, is in dire need of some interesting competition in its main class. Dyson Racing is struggling with a car that is for the moment the last of its breed, while the single-car effort from Muscle Milk Pickett Racing wags its tail and eventually runs away with the races, likely under-performing due to the lack of competition.

A cool project in lieu of the Deltawing would be to take a trio of Dome S102.5, shoe-horn an Elan (or perhaps Chevrolet) V8 in them (say that you're doing engine development for the 2014 rules) and go back to Panoz Auto's roots and run two cars in the ALMS P1 class. Doing something "relevant" in this climate means putting cars in your big class.

Chris
Old 3 Aug 2012, 00:54 (Ref:3115446)   #189
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post

Look, Don. It's great that you did something that looked different and got some media attention. Neat. But the world doesn't need the Deltawing. There are far more attractive ways to package a car that has half the drag, half the horsepower and half the weight of a typical LMP1/LMP2 car (and it's actually only about 3/4 of LMP2 horsepower, so no wonder it was near P2 pace).

The American Le Mans Series, which you own, is in dire need of some interesting competition in its main class. Dyson Racing is struggling with a car that is for the moment the last of its breed, while the single-car effort from Muscle Milk Pickett Racing wags its tail and eventually runs away with the races, likely under-performing due to the lack of competition.

A cool project in lieu of the Deltawing would be to take a trio of Dome S102.5, shoe-horn an Elan (or perhaps Chevrolet) V8 in them (say that you're doing engine development for the 2014 rules) and go back to Panoz Auto's roots and run two cars in the ALMS P1 class. Doing something "relevant" in this climate means putting cars in your big class.

Chris
Yep. Well put.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 01:03 (Ref:3115447)   #190
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd rather see them put their focus behind the Abruzzi rather than the DeltaDick, now that is a unique car!
Old 3 Aug 2012, 04:41 (Ref:3115468)   #191
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well here's what I think...

You guys all are correct in saying that the ALMS is struggling. Factory/private P1's are not just going to get beamed down from the sky into the class...And the Abruzzi is just ugly. Not sure it brings people to the track.

But the DeltaWing is something unique. It looks cool and a class of 4-5 of them would draw more people to the track to see this thing in action. Heck I want to buy tickets to a race the Delta Wing races in and actually watch this thing take corners in real life. I have to see it to believe it!! . TV broadcast of Le Mans wasnt enough

Don Panoz is not saying the DeltaWing is the future prototype. It looks totally interim to me. Bring in more fans and prospective sponsors.. Hope that a P1 class develops for 2014.

the GT class is full and Panoz does not have the resources to get the Abruzzi up to speed. They dont even have the road cars.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 04:50 (Ref:3115470)   #192
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
I'd rather see them put their focus behind the Abruzzi rather than the DeltaDick, now that is a unique car!
Agreed on the Abruzzi, but it would be placed on the GTE class unless it was reworked as a front-engined LMP car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Don Panoz is not saying the DeltaWing is the future prototype. It looks totally interim to me. Bring in more fans and prospective sponsors.. Hope that a P1 class develops for 2014.
I would like to see that... as a P2 car. But what's the point of putting it to P1 when that class is occupied by WEC?
Old 3 Aug 2012, 06:03 (Ref:3115480)   #193
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
So according to another forum Tim Pappas has bought a Corvette for next year.

Good for him and GT-Am, I guess, but one less potential prototype entry, so overall I am not all that thrilled about it.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 06:24 (Ref:3115481)   #194
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
So according to another forum Tim Pappas has bought a Corvette for next year.

Good for him and GT-Am, I guess, but one less potential prototype entry, so overall I am not all that thrilled about it.
Sadly Tim was upset with his P2 experience and the fact that there isn't yet a proven Coupe (what with Lola's problems) he was going to race in GT (GT-Am).

I'm glad we'll have one extra ground-pounder on the track. It's only one, but at least for the first time since Pacific Coast Motorsports in 2005 a Corvette has been sold into America. You'd think Corvette would be the first options prospective GT teams would look at... maybe the cost is prohibitive?

Chris
Old 3 Aug 2012, 06:46 (Ref:3115486)   #195
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Sadly Tim was upset with his P2 experience and the fact that there isn't yet a proven Coupe (what with Lola's problems) he was going to race in GT (GT-Am).

I'm glad we'll have one extra ground-pounder on the track. It's only one, but at least for the first time since Pacific Coast Motorsports in 2005 a Corvette has been sold into America. You'd think Corvette would be the first options prospective GT teams would look at... maybe the cost is prohibitive?

Chris
Running with factory equipment against a factory team tends to be a mixed bag, I think.

Cf Dyson's situation with the Spyders, etc.

The factory teams will make sure that they aren't upstaged by the privateers, so they always tend to have an advantage in terms of development parts, etc.

Having GTE-Am really helps here as it puts the customer out of contetion with the factory team.

(I still dislike the idea behind the class, though)
Old 3 Aug 2012, 06:53 (Ref:3115488)   #196
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Agreed on the Abruzzi, but it would be placed on the GTE class unless it was reworked as a front-engined LMP car.

I would like to see that... as a P2 car. But what's the point of putting it to P1 when that class is occupied by WEC?
I meant that hopefully a P1 class ( of P1 cars) for 2014. Not inclusive of the Delta Wing. The Delta is jsut an interim car in its own class to boost viewership and leverage a better TV package.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 08:04 (Ref:3115502)   #197
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
Quote:

Chris

I'd say he's picked up one of the 2009 or 2010 chassis' that P&M will have updated to 2011 or even a 2012 build car. Really great to see another Vette in the competition anyway and the car should look great in BSR livery.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 08:33 (Ref:3115514)   #198
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now that I think about it, I remember that I saw a Corvette Z06 GT3 in Shift 2 Unleashed with a silver and green livery. Maybe it will look similar?
Old 3 Aug 2012, 08:38 (Ref:3115517)   #199
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia

Will likely just be this on the Vette...
Old 3 Aug 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3115527)   #200
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I guess it's not that similar but same thought...