Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Jul 2016, 06:28 (Ref:3657617)   #176
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
4pm on friday on telstra just sent me their weekly email, telling me about all the awesome things they can do for me

Stupid marketing hacks at Telstra, no idea about marketing. They really need to call in the experts from ten tenths forums

Last edited by peckstar; 8 Jul 2016 at 06:37.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 06:38 (Ref:3657620)   #177
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
Now that Supercars are in charge I wonder if they are going to put supp regs etc on the web site or not? Entries have opened but there are no regs on the site, maybe they are not as transparent as the previous promoters
They put the regs up for the v8s so i see no reason they wont do it for the 12 hour.

But yes, in the past the info was there on July 1. Entries are open but there is no link to enter on the website
Old 8 Jul 2016, 06:59 (Ref:3657623)   #178
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
4pm on friday on telstra just sent me their weekly email, telling me about all the awesome things they can do for me
What you have referenced is Direct Marketing.

We are currently talking about mass marketing via a press release to multiple markets and consumers. Note the difference.

No issue with B12HR emailing or contacting teams and drivers directly to deliver information at any time. This information remains with the party and can be consumed at an appropriate time........

But this isn't what occurred here.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 07:10 (Ref:3657626)   #179
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin993 View Post
Thanks much - we're doing our own trip. The biggest thing that would be helpful is to get advice on physically getting around the track itself. Viewing places, parts that are inaccessible, barriers that might prevent you from walking the perimeter, how much time it takes to get from point to point, photo locations, etc. I recognize that one doesn't bounce back and forth from the paddock to the top of the mountain, but don't have a great handle on the landscape. We'll be there for all of practice and qualifying, so we'll have the full three days to poke around.
One of the great things about this race is the access to just about everywhere on the circuit that matters. There is pedestrian access down at the bottom of the circuit from the chase, round to turn one, on both sides of the track. There is access in the paddock, up behind all the pit garages, and on top of the pit area along the front straight. Up at the top of the mountain, you can get down to just above the cutting (T4) and from there, back up across the top, all the way down to Forrest Elbow (T18). I'm guessing that if you were to walk non-stop from the cutting all the way around the top and down to T18 it would be approx 45 minutes at a brisk pace, taking into account the climb back up from T5 and the climb down to T18. There's a roadway down to to T18, but the preferred trek down is via the track adjacent to the fence line, which offers some truly brilliant photo ops. It's mountain goat country on some parts of the walking track, but well worth it. Over the last few years the powers that be, have installed the dreaded catch fencing along a lot of the parts of the circuit across the top, but that doesn't necessarily stop the more inventive types among us, in relation to picture taking. I've said it before, but I don't think it is possible to take a bad photo at this place. You can't get access to the inside of the track across the top of the mountain, but when you get there you'll see why, and I don't think there would be any great benefit in getting there anyway IMO.
The only no go areas for the great unwashed are Conrod straight from T18 down to the chase, and mountain straight up to the cutting.
We tend to move about during the race, so having your own car (I assume you'll be having a rental) is pretty important. There is a bus going up and down all day, I've never used it so I can't comment. Some stay in one spot for the whole day. I've never seen the point in that, but even with the increasing crowd size over the last few years, there's still great accessibility to just about anywhere.
You won't be walking up from the bottom. You actually have to leave the circuit and drive up to the top, but it's no big deal, and is only a few minutes drive to get up there. They've started charging a one off access fee of about $5.00 (from memory) per car, which upset a few people, but again, it's no big deal. It gets fairly warm in February in Australia, bring plenty of water, and a stash of food. The food they are selling all over the circuit is rubbish. The Bathurst CBD is about 5 minutes from the circuit, so food and drink is easily available.
Dud photo spots-- None.
Best photo locations- Just about anywhere on the track, although my favorites are, just around the exit of turn 1, all the spots coming down the hill and Forrest Elbow.
Sorry for being a bit long winded, hope this helps.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 07:13 (Ref:3657630)   #180
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
What you have referenced is Direct Marketing.

We are currently talking about mass marketing via a press release to multiple markets and consumers. Note the difference.

No issue with B12HR emailing or contacting teams and drivers directly to deliver information at any time. This information remains with the party and can be consumed at an appropriate time........

But this isn't what occurred here.
So what you are saying is that entries opened on July 1as per previous years and when informed people were expecting it ie teams with an interest. But they should have stayed quiet and said nothing because it was Friday.

Sure that makes a lot of sense!
Old 8 Jul 2016, 22:44 (Ref:3657723)   #181
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
One of the great things about this race is the access to just about everywhere on the circuit that matters. There is pedestrian access down at the bottom of the circuit from the chase, round to turn one, on both sides of the track. There is access in the paddock, up behind all the pit garages, and on top of the pit area along the front straight. Up at the top of the mountain, you can get down to just above the cutting (T4) and from there, back up across the top, all the way down to Forrest Elbow (T18). I'm guessing that if you were to walk non-stop from the cutting all the way around the top and down to T18 it would be approx 45 minutes at a brisk pace, taking into account the climb back up from T5 and the climb down to T18. There's a roadway down to to T18, but the preferred trek down is via the track adjacent to the fence line, which offers some truly brilliant photo ops. It's mountain goat country on some parts of the walking track, but well worth it. Over the last few years the powers that be, have installed the dreaded catch fencing along a lot of the parts of the circuit across the top, but that doesn't necessarily stop the more inventive types among us, in relation to picture taking. I've said it before, but I don't think it is possible to take a bad photo at this place. You can't get access to the inside of the track across the top of the mountain, but when you get there you'll see why, and I don't think there would be any great benefit in getting there anyway IMO.
The only no go areas for the great unwashed are Conrod straight from T18 down to the chase, and mountain straight up to the cutting.
We tend to move about during the race, so having your own car (I assume you'll be having a rental) is pretty important. There is a bus going up and down all day, I've never used it so I can't comment. Some stay in one spot for the whole day. I've never seen the point in that, but even with the increasing crowd size over the last few years, there's still great accessibility to just about anywhere.
You won't be walking up from the bottom. You actually have to leave the circuit and drive up to the top, but it's no big deal, and is only a few minutes drive to get up there. They've started charging a one off access fee of about $5.00 (from memory) per car, which upset a few people, but again, it's no big deal. It gets fairly warm in February in Australia, bring plenty of water, and a stash of food. The food they are selling all over the circuit is rubbish. The Bathurst CBD is about 5 minutes from the circuit, so food and drink is easily available.
Dud photo spots-- None.
Best photo locations- Just about anywhere on the track, although my favorites are, just around the exit of turn 1, all the spots coming down the hill and Forrest Elbow.
Sorry for being a bit long winded, hope this helps.
Great post.
Old 9 Jul 2016, 02:54 (Ref:3657731)   #182
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed. Thank you very much - this is just the kind of info I was looking for! Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Great post.
Old 9 Jul 2016, 03:35 (Ref:3657736)   #183
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
One of the great things about this race is the access to just about everywhere on the circuit that matters.

etc etc
Great post! Very informative and a great guide to where one can and can't view the action at the circuit.

If you're in the paddock campgrounds and you have a four wheel drive or a van etc, I've seen people making platforms on the roof so they can watch the cars going up mountain straight too.

Its great to be able to walk around the track at night. The walk down the mountain is fun but the walk back up to the top if your camping up there isn't
Old 10 Jul 2016, 12:48 (Ref:3657975)   #184
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They put the regs up for the v8s so i see no reason they wont do it for the 12 hour.

But yes, in the past the info was there on July 1. Entries are open but there is no link to enter on the website
There's a new site coming soon.. I'm sure the regs will be up there at some point. It's not a state secret.

As for the other (non) issue.. How is that worth that many posts??
Old 10 Jul 2016, 13:59 (Ref:3657994)   #185
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Craill View Post
There's a new site coming soon.. I'm sure the regs will be up there at some point. It's not a state secret.

No not a state secret but it doesn't appear like an integrated communication plan. Shouldn't information be made as easily accessible as possible? Wouldn't a new website have been planned and timed for the event launch/announcements on July 1?

One of the 'sells' to a worried fan base was the additional resources and professional approach that the new promoter could and 'would' bring.

Yet as of 11th July we have a semi updated website & promotional video without relevant information. Compare that to where YeeHah events were at a similar time in 2015

It appears from the outside only, that it's all a little bit of a shot gun approach. "Oh we'll figure it all out in December"

Fingers crossed for the best.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 22:42 (Ref:3658183)   #186
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Craill View Post
Because it's in the Forum rules somewhere that D.R.T. and Peckstar are not to agree on anything whatsoever. To do so is a ban-able offence.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 00:25 (Ref:3658205)   #187
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Maranello and Vilander set for Bathurst tilt

Good news, even though the press release went out on the friday before an election at 4pm, Maranello got the message and will be fielding a new ferrari and possible another car as well.

Vilander coming back as well which is awesome
Old 11 Jul 2016, 09:12 (Ref:3658252)   #188
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Maranello and Vilander set for Bathurst tilt

Good news, even though the press release went out on the friday before an election at 4pm, Maranello got the message and will be fielding a new ferrari and possible another car as well.

Vilander coming back as well which is awesome
Thats great news to hear that Vilander is coming back, hopefully Salo returns also. Was pretty surreal when those two and Denyer gate crashed the tenths dinner this year

As much as I like the new car, audibly its no patch on the 458 sans boost. I hope someone enters a 458 just so we can hear that engine one last time-mind you it has been getting quieter over the years, or maybe its just my hearing thats been going south over the years

This is just first announcement, there are many more to come, hoping for some pleasant surprises.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 09:13 (Ref:3658253)   #189
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They've started charging a one off access fee of about $5.00 (from memory) per car, which upset a few people, but again, it's no big deal.[/IMG]
The only big deal was they had a couple hundred cars trying to get up the top Saturday afternoon and only had 2 staff there to cater for it. Plus the booth to buy the pass was in a stupid place that caused everything to back up worse.

The other issue with having so little staff is as soon as it got busy they stopped scanning tickets out, then they give you 20 questions when you tried to get back into the circuit, again slowing everything up more......
Old 11 Jul 2016, 10:44 (Ref:3658262)   #190
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Great post! Very informative and a great guide to where one can and can't view the action at the circuit.

If you're in the paddock campgrounds and you have a four wheel drive or a van etc, I've seen people making platforms on the roof so they can watch the cars going up mountain straight too.

Its great to be able to walk around the track at night. The walk down the mountain is fun but the walk back up to the top if your camping up there isn't
Did it one night back around 1990. Took 4 beers to get around the track.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 11:20 (Ref:3658269)   #191
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Thats great news to hear that Vilander is coming back, hopefully Salo returns also. Was pretty surreal when those two and Denyer gate crashed the tenths dinner this year

As much as I like the new car, audibly its no patch on the 458 sans boost. I hope someone enters a 458 just so we can hear that engine one last time-mind you it has been getting quieter over the years, or maybe its just my hearing thats been going south over the years

This is just first announcement, there are many more to come, hoping for some pleasant surprises.
do Maranello have 2 of the new 488?
In my mind i was assuming the would run the 488 in the pro class and the 458 in the pro/am but that was based on the assumption they only had 1 488
Old 11 Jul 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3658282)   #192
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Did it one night back around 1990. Took 4 beers to get around the track.

On Saturday night this year I took three beers with me and only had one left by the time I got to the bottom of Conrod. I need to learn how to get into fuel save mode

Quote:

In my mind i was assuming the would run the 488 in the pro class and the 458 in the pro/am but that was based on the assumption they only had 1 488

I'm assuming they only have one also-so far. I'd be highly surprised if they haven't got another 488 by years end.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 22:16 (Ref:3658420)   #193
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
I understand the 488 they currently have is owned by Edwards - so that is going to be in the Pro/Am class regardless.

Considering the factory drivers, the support of Ferrari and their previous success at the event that their would more than likely be a 2nd 488 in the Pro class come February
Old 12 Jul 2016, 00:40 (Ref:3658434)   #194
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
NSX GT3

Im assuming that this wont be able to race in the 12 hour next year
Old 12 Jul 2016, 04:13 (Ref:3658455)   #195
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I tell you what - If I win lotto, ill enter a 2011 Spec 458, with no ******* catalytic converters the later cars were forced to run, and although i'd probably qualify behind the BMW 335i making its 234th start, at least it'd sound fantastic and vibrate your body as we go past !

Anyone want to start a syndicate for Powerball ??

The only thing annoying about GT3 is, as you say each year the 458 got quieter and quieter - that first year with no cats, will stick in my mind forever as one of the greatest sounds...

488 sounds ****y ... but it's fast and will be competitive come February. Bloody turbo chargers
Old 12 Jul 2016, 19:04 (Ref:3658583)   #196
velly4
Racer

Australia
I still think the best sounding Ferrari was the 355 Challenge from the mid 90s.

We just before the kink going into the chase and hearing that an the Viper at full load and full noise was brilliant
Old 13 Jul 2016, 06:24 (Ref:3658650)   #197
velly4
Racer

Australia
Quote:
NSX GT3

Im assuming that this wont be able to race in the 12 hour next year
Considering it isn't even homologated.......
Old 13 Jul 2016, 07:35 (Ref:3658653)   #198
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by velly4 View Post
Considering it isn't even homologated.......
but it will be in September, 5 months before the 12 hour
Old 13 Jul 2016, 10:44 (Ref:3658667)   #199
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
but it will be in September, 5 months before the 12 hour
Won't be on the 2016 Blancpain BoP sheets though, which is what the 12 Hour will be using.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 10:53 (Ref:3658668)   #200
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Won't be on the 2016 Blancpain BoP sheets though, which is what the 12 Hour will be using.
that was my assumption