Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Sep 2008, 02:32 (Ref:2286176)   #2101
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wanna buy the 888 merchandise truck? Here
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Sep 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2287111)   #2102
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I always wondered what happened to Mr Waldock's Playscape Sierra...

A Ruapuna Club meeting in 2006 provides the answer.....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Sep 2008, 03:10 (Ref:2293533)   #2103
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to the John Clinton Jaguar XJS Group A car,it raced maybe once at a NSW enduro,at the end of the Group A period?
Old 19 Sep 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2293619)   #2104
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oil Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey
What happened to the John Clinton Jaguar XJS Group A car,it raced maybe once at a NSW enduro,at the end of the Group A period?
Died from chronic oil leaks?? No eye deer Rob, but good to see you on the "other" great Motorsport forum
Old 19 Sep 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2293632)   #2105
holden51
Rookie

holden51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Ok a tough one;

One of the HDT A9X's went to New Zealand at the end of 1979 to run in some races over there. Brock drove it at a meeting, Jim Richards piloted it at another meeting or two (Graeme Whincup's Monza was over there as well). Which Torana was sent over there, one of the Bathurst winners? Harvey's car?
This car is still here in NZ it was run in a class over here called super gt until the wner upgraded to an 07 camaro. It has since been since running in some classic meetings.

Still running a 308 but dry sumped no other changes... http://www.jri.co.nz/racing.asp photo here...
Old 20 Sep 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2294042)   #2106
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It must be around.
I'm on Ferrari Chat Line a lot.
Sorry talking about the XJS.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2294165)   #2107
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey
It wasn't the jag that was shown covered in dust sitting in a shed in AMC a few issues back was it?
Old 20 Sep 2008, 20:02 (Ref:2294357)   #2108
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort
It wasn't the jag that was shown covered in dust sitting in a shed in AMC a few issues back was it?
well that is what I'm thinking.
Looks as if it might have run in other events?
Maybe Sports Sedans or a relay race?
I think Roley Walker Jag built it?
Old 20 Sep 2008, 21:39 (Ref:2294386)   #2109
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I vaguely recall seeing that Jag or one similar in a pic from the AROC 6 hr race at Eastern Creek in an old Auto Action.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2296013)   #2110
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mr Tweedie has been trying to sell this car for a while
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 23 Sep 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2296023)   #2111
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It certainly is a quick car but how was the reliability record of the Sierras during their heyday? He's entered Sandown in November with his son in another Sierra.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2296240)   #2112
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I presume this car was the 'other' Sierra?

I would doubt that the PJ car cost $365k to build... although the provenance is very good
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 24 Sep 2008, 00:20 (Ref:2296545)   #2113
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
It certainly is a quick car but how was the reliability record of the Sierras during their heyday? He's entered Sandown in November with his son in another Sierra.
The Seton team always managed to find new ways for their Sierra's to breakdown (especially at Bathurst), but even the most reliable of cars can be dogs in the wrong hands, eg the Mobil BMW M3's.

Although to be fair it wasn't only the Brock team that found the M3 to be an unreliable dog at Bathurst. The JPS team and the B&H team had pretty poor results at Bathurst in the M3.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 01:55 (Ref:2296585)   #2114
holden51
Rookie

holden51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez
The Seton team always managed to find new ways for their Sierra's to breakdown (especially at Bathurst), but even the most reliable of cars can be dogs in the wrong hands, eg the Mobil BMW M3's.

Although to be fair it wasn't only the Brock team that found the M3 to be an unreliable dog at Bathurst. The JPS team and the B&H team had pretty poor results at Bathurst in the M3.
speaking of the B & H m3's. one turned up at a show over here in NZ on the weekend. if its geniune of course... didnt get to see it in the flesh

http://www.theboss.co.nz/forum/index...req=si&img=885
Old 24 Sep 2008, 07:56 (Ref:2296683)   #2115
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
The ex Alan Jones/Denny Hulme Bathurst car, the car Denny died in.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2296710)   #2116
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I presume this car was the 'other' Sierra?

I would doubt that the PJ car cost $365k to build... although the provenance is very good
Interesting that there seems to be more interest in Group A cars in Australia/NZ than in the UK- didn't another ex-BTCC RS500 (ex-Graham Goode Listerine car I think?) go to Australia a while back?

I guess part of the reason may be that there doesn't seem to be as much opportunity to race them over here, and interest in historic touring cars seems to be skipping a generation from 60's/70's cars to Supertouring- there's a historic ST race planned for one of the major UK historic meets at Silverstone next year...
Old 24 Sep 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2296760)   #2117
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Absolutely and there's something inherently wrong there.....

I am sure that if a Group A race got the go ahead many Antipodean owners would be quite tempted to bring their cars over and join the fray. David Towe has 2 such cars off the top of my head? Right David?

Actually now for an outright question!!

David, would you be interested in bringing the JPS BMW's to the Silverstone Classic if an event was organised?
Old 24 Sep 2008, 11:18 (Ref:2296813)   #2118
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pick me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Actually now for an outright question!!

David, would you be interested in bringing the JPS BMW's to the Silverstone Classic if an event was organised?
I am a mean hand on a polishing rag, know some electrics and grudgingly learning my metric spanners sizes Dave
Old 24 Sep 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2296923)   #2119
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Man would I be interested?...hell yes! The trouble is that I seem to have a problem fairly uncommon in motor racing, lack of money. I struggle to get the car to Phillip Island each year let alone Silverstone. The thought of racing there excites me on so many levels and add to that the fact that I haven't seen my home town (Deal in Kent) for 41 years now and you've got some serious desire. Too bad about the lack of money. How much are you willing to pay me to let you use the polishing rag Mick?
Old 24 Sep 2008, 12:46 (Ref:2296934)   #2120
racer2_uk
Rookie

United Kingdom
racer2_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi KA and all, the championship that would cover the Group "A" RS500 does not allow them to compete, the reason I was given was cost, I feel the real reason is that all the other cars in the class would be beaten and grids would fall due them going elsewhere, their dominance in the day was so great the rules were changed as we all know.

Andy
Old 24 Sep 2008, 13:31 (Ref:2296967)   #2121
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Deal?????

Quote:
Man would I be interested?...hell yes! The trouble is that I seem to have a problem fairly uncommon in motor racing, lack of money. I struggle to get the car to Phillip Island each year let alone Silverstone. The thought of racing there excites me on so many levels and add to that the fact that I haven't seen my home town (Deal in Kent) for 41 years now and you've got some serious desire. Too bad about the lack of money. How much are you willing to pay me to let you use the polishing rag Mick?
$3.50 Dave....is that OK???

(But seriously), if that Black Beauty were to go into a container....count me in

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 24 Sep 2008 at 13:36.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2296975)   #2122
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden51
speaking of the B & H m3's. one turned up at a show over here in NZ on the weekend. if its geniune of course... didnt get to see it in the flesh

http://www.theboss.co.nz/forum/index...req=si&img=885
Good to see NAC can actually take photos of something other than gridgirls...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 25 Sep 2008, 03:58 (Ref:2297416)   #2123
Mr Walker
Rookie

Australia
Mr Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Doesn't this play into the Sierra's hands these days in historic Group A racing? The races are quite short so reliability shouldn't come into it. All you need to do is turn the 'winscreen wiper' knob to full boost...right?
Old 25 Sep 2008, 07:43 (Ref:2297466)   #2124
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Walker
All you need to do is turn the 'winscreen wiper' knob to full boost...right?
What do you do if it rains?
Old 25 Sep 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2297505)   #2125
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Walker
Doesn't this play into the Sierra's hands these days in historic Group A racing? The races are quite short so reliability shouldn't come into it. All you need to do is turn the 'winscreen wiper' knob to full boost...right?

I thougth it was the inboard fire extinguisher knob....