Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Sep 2023, 07:51 (Ref:4178471)   #201
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would do the series a power of good to have someone with a strong social media presence such as Scott on the grid.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 11:03 (Ref:4178483)   #202
coffinpilot
Veteran

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post
I suppose here is as good a place as any, watching the Driver 61 podcast from 2021, Karun Chandhok talked about his motorsport bucketlist and BTCC was something he liked a lot, praising Gow highly and ''in a 'couple of years' he'd try and put together a programme for it'', as did host Scott Mansell (he mentioned he'd seriously attempt to join the grid within 4-5 years).

Not saying they are in the frame for 2024 definitely but names to bear in mind in coming seasons and not ones I've seen previously linked.
Chandhok did say that a couple of times, including at Autosport, that BTCC had been looked into, but his Sky F1 and Motorsport UK commitments made it hard. Haven't seen much involvement with F4 since it changed - thought he would have been around to a few races considering his input.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 11:10 (Ref:4178484)   #203
coffinpilot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
It would do the series a power of good to have someone with a strong social media presence such as Scott on the grid.
It is needed across the board - I kind of like the Driver 91 stuff - it's well put together, but I'm still trying to work out how it's so popular. The content is brilliant, the presenting however - somebody get the lad a personality!

Got to say that the BTCC need to be more pro-active to grow again. Silverstone was dire in terms of attendance and atmosphere at the weekend. The amount of empty garages looked terrible there. I was in and out in no time compared to other years. And I can't just accept the weather excuse - there were a lot, lot more people there in say 2019 when it was miserable.

Is it cost of living? Or the reputation of the Silverstone app (which I found worked fine)? I know most rounds seem a bit lower this year in attendance, but the drop off compared to other years was shocking.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 11:15 (Ref:4178487)   #204
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
The amount of empty garages looked terrible there.
huh?
there are always lots of empty garages at silverstone as theres 40 of them!
Old 27 Sep 2023, 11:29 (Ref:4178488)   #205
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Attendance at Silverstone is normally lower than other rounds because spectators are in a different postcode to the track.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 11:48 (Ref:4178490)   #206
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Is it cost of living?
Very very likely. Given that I know marshals who've had to rein in their commitments because of the cost of fuel for weekends at distant circuits, as well as club drivers/teams who've reduced their entries or stopped altogether, the fact that fewer people are spectating isn't too much of a surprise.

My trip to Le Mans earlier this year cost me between 30% and 35% more than previous years. Four full tanks of petrol, hotel at Folkestone on the way out, the Shuttle, the tolls, the cost of food and drink once there... all much higher than they were. I shan't be doing too many long trips next year
Old 27 Sep 2023, 12:15 (Ref:4178493)   #207
coffinpilot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
huh?
In the past they spread them out a bit though - it gave the illusion of more going on.
Moving the HARD hospitality down a bit created a bit of a open spot at the pitlane exit end behind the garages.
Maybe it felt more open because the usual hustle and bustle wasn't going on.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 12:37 (Ref:4178500)   #208
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So - the first table for 2024!!!

Yes, I know it is early, but I'm just trying something out to see if it meets the requirements of 10-10thers for a view that is:
  • Clear.
  • Differentiates between rumours and confirmations.
  • Indicates the reliability of the entry.
  • Is easily updated as we head towards the season.

Any feedback is appreciated.

2023 TBL2024 TeamCarDriverStatus
EXCELR8-1Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N PerformancePearsonConfirmed for 2 years in press release (24&25)
EXCELR8-2Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N Performance???Title sponsor confirmed
EXCELR8-3Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N Performance???Title sponsor confirmed
EXCELR8-4Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N Performance???Title sponsor confirmed
Motorbase-1NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STSutton Confirmed in Press Release
Motorbase-2NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STCammishConfirmed in Press Release
Motorbase-3NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STRowbottom? 
Motorbase-4NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STOsborne? 
Boardley-1Team HARD.Cupra León??? 
Aiden Moffat Racing-1Team HARD.Cupra León??? 
Aiden Moffat Racing-2Team HARD.Cupra León??? 
HARD-1Team HARD.Cupra León??? 
HARD-2Team HARD.Cupra León??? 
HARD-3Team HARD.Cupra León??? 
HARD-4CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall Astra??? 
PMR-1CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall Astra??? 
PMR-2CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall Astra??? 
Speedworks-1Toyota Gazoo RacingToyota Corolla GR Sport??? 
Speedworks-2Toyota Gazoo RacingToyota Corolla GR Sport??? 
Speedworks-3Toyota Gazoo RacingToyota Corolla GR Sport??? 
WSR-1Team BMWBMW 330e M Sport??? 
WSR-2Team BMWBMW 330e M Sport??? 
WSR-3Team BMWBMW 330e M Sport??? 
WSR-4Laser Tools Racing with MB MotorsportBMW 330e M Sport??? 
BTC Racing-1One Motorsport?Honda Civic Type R??? 
BTC Racing-2One Motorsport?Honda Civic Type R??? 
BTC Racing-3One Motorsport?Honda Civic Type R??? 
Team Dynamics-1????????? 
Team Dynamics-2????????? 
Other Rumours    
?????????HamiltonSpoke to ITV stating he is working on a deal
?????????HuffSpoke to ITV stating he is working on a deal

Key:
Green/Bold – Confirmed in a press release since the start of 2023 season
Green – Confirmed in a press release prior to 2023 season
Amber – Indicated as happening by comments from official sources
Blue – Rumoured in multiple sources
Old 27 Sep 2023, 12:47 (Ref:4178503)   #209
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It is needed across the board - I kind of like the Driver 91 stuff - it's well put together, but I'm still trying to work out how it's so popular. The content is brilliant, the presenting however - somebody get the lad a personality!

Got to say that the BTCC need to be more pro-active to grow again. Silverstone was dire in terms of attendance and atmosphere at the weekend. The amount of empty garages looked terrible there. I was in and out in no time compared to other years. And I can't just accept the weather excuse - there were a lot, lot more people there in say 2019 when it was miserable.

Is it cost of living? Or the reputation of the Silverstone app (which I found worked fine)? I know most rounds seem a bit lower this year in attendance, but the drop off compared to other years was shocking.
I can't recall exact costs but when I looked at going to donington it was about 10 quid more than I last paid. Over £30 and I really have to think now whether I want to bother, as when you add in travel costs, food for the day etc, you are getting on for a £150 day out for myself the wife and two kids.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 15:16 (Ref:4178522)   #210
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
huh?
They generally put Porsches in the ones not used by BTCC.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 15:17 (Ref:4178523)   #211
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The empty stands behind the terraces at Woodcote were very apparent on TV. I remember them being pretty full last time I was there in 2013.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 18:50 (Ref:4178532)   #212
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...Got to say that the BTCC need to be more pro-active to grow again. Silverstone was dire in terms of attendance and atmosphere at the weekend. The amount of empty garages looked terrible there. I was in and out in no time compared to other years. And I can't just accept the weather excuse - there were a lot, lot more people there in say 2019 when it was miserable.

Silverstone has been my away weekend every year for quite a while and there was definitely a lack of spectators this year. To my mind it was probably a combination of the cost (no half price Black Friday offers or BOGOFs as there has been in the past), no walk-up tickets (advance purchase only and app only), poor supports (4 Porsche races on the Sunday!) and possibly the closure of the M1/A43 junction putting people off travelling.

For the first time that I can recall, there were no queues to get in and I stayed until the end of the last BTCC race, walked to the car and drove straight out with not a queue in sight.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 19:23 (Ref:4178534)   #213
coffinpilot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post

For the first time that I can recall, there were no queues to get in and I stayed until the end of the last BTCC race, walked to the car and drove straight out with not a queue in sight.
Me too. Third year in a row a friend got hospitality parking - last two years it took 30-45 minutes to get out after watching a bit of the on track podium. This year we headed off during the race three warm down lap, got in the car and were out befor they got to the podium!
Old 27 Sep 2023, 19:41 (Ref:4178536)   #214
JDMROB
Racer

JDMROB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noticed the spectator numbers dwindling for a while.

Tickets are too expensive, food is too expensive and there isn’t enough to do! I remember “the good old days” when going to BTCC was a proper day out. Maybe it was because I was younger and maybe a bit of nostalgia, but there was other stuff to do. There was a variety of good trade stands, lots of freebies being handed out all day, you’d have car owners clubs areas, demonstrations at lunchtime of various cars round the track (drift cars, stunt driving etc), I even remember air displays. The support races used to be much better too, big grids of exciting cars. Nowadays the support races are mainly very dull and the opportunity to have a sleep. You’d never fall asleep during a Clio Cup race in the mid 00’s (or even early 10’s.)

If I ever go a watch now I very rarely last a whole day there due to boredom. I normally head home at lunchtime and watch race 3 on the TV.

I’m not sure what the answer is but feel the whole TOCA package is a bit stale now and needs an overhaul.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 19:45 (Ref:4178537)   #215
Matt_123
Rookie

Matt_123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
So - the first table for 2024!!!

Yes, I know it is early, but I'm just trying something out to see if it meets the requirements of 10-10thers for a view that is:
  • Clear.
  • Differentiates between rumours and confirmations.
  • Indicates the reliability of the entry.
  • Is easily updated as we head towards the season.

Any feedback is appreciated.

2023 TBL2024 TeamCarDriverStatus
EXCELR8-1Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N PerformancePearsonConfirmed for 2 years in press release (24&25)
EXCELR8-2Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N Performance???Title sponsor confirmed
EXCELR8-3Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N Performance???Title sponsor confirmed
EXCELR8-4Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8Hyundai i30 Fastback N Performance???Title sponsor confirmed
Motorbase-1NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STSutton Confirmed in Press Release
Motorbase-2NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STCammishConfirmed in Press Release
Motorbase-3NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STRowbottom? 
Motorbase-4NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STOsborne? 
Boardley-1Team HARD.Cupra León??? 
Aiden Moffat Racing-1Team HARD.Cupra León??? 
Aiden Moffat Racing-2Team HARD.Cupra León??? 
HARD-1Team HARD.Cupra León??? 
HARD-2Team HARD.Cupra León??? 
HARD-3Team HARD.Cupra León??? 
HARD-4CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall Astra??? 
PMR-1CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall Astra??? 
PMR-2CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall Astra??? 
Speedworks-1Toyota Gazoo RacingToyota Corolla GR Sport??? 
Speedworks-2Toyota Gazoo RacingToyota Corolla GR Sport??? 
Speedworks-3Toyota Gazoo RacingToyota Corolla GR Sport??? 
WSR-1Team BMWBMW 330e M Sport??? 
WSR-2Team BMWBMW 330e M Sport??? 
WSR-3Team BMWBMW 330e M Sport??? 
WSR-4Laser Tools Racing with MB MotorsportBMW 330e M Sport??? 
BTC Racing-1One Motorsport?Honda Civic Type R??? 
BTC Racing-2One Motorsport?Honda Civic Type R??? 
BTC Racing-3One Motorsport?Honda Civic Type R??? 
Team Dynamics-1????????? 
Team Dynamics-2????????? 
Other Rumours    
?????????HamiltonSpoke to ITV stating he is working on a deal
?????????HuffSpoke to ITV stating he is working on a deal

Key:
Green/Bold – Confirmed in a press release since the start of 2023 season
Green – Confirmed in a press release prior to 2023 season
Amber – Indicated as happening by comments from official sources
Blue – Rumoured in multiple sources
wait do dynamics still have their TBLs?
Old 27 Sep 2023, 20:05 (Ref:4178542)   #216
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_123 View Post
wait do dynamics still have their TBLs?
Maybe not formally, but a commitment that they would be allowed back:

"Series boss Alan Gow hopes Dynamics returns.

“If they are in a position to come back next year, we’d find a way to help make it happen for them,” he declares."
Old 27 Sep 2023, 20:23 (Ref:4178545)   #217
Matt_123
Rookie

Matt_123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Maybe not formally, but a commitment that they would be allowed back:

"Series boss Alan Gow hopes Dynamics returns.

“If they are in a position to come back next year, we’d find a way to help make it happen for them,” he declares."
ah fair enough. tbf can see NAPA/excelr8 running the 2 dynamics cars as part of a 6 car squad

Last edited by Matt_123; 27 Sep 2023 at 20:48.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 07:04 (Ref:4178588)   #218
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Wow, ticket prices for Silverstone were £43 for Sunday entry. Way way too high. That’s more than a Premier League ticket for my local clubs. These things should be £25-30 tops.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 07:23 (Ref:4178589)   #219
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a ticket for Sunday bought for me as a gift, but just wasn't that enthusiastic as time got nearer. I've loved the BTCC and attend regularly for almost 30 years, but just am not feeling it this year, so when my alarm went off at 0600 Sunday, I went back to sleep instead.

Watching on TV it seemed there was a fair bit of free space around the place come pace day.

Anyone know why one of the Woodcote stands appeared to be closed?

I'm sure Alan Gow will deny there is anything going wrong with the series in general at the moment. If there was just one car going round and 4 people spectating, he'd find some positive spin to throw out about what great health things are in.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 07:41 (Ref:4178590)   #220
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
Anyone know why one of the Woodcote stands appeared to be closed?
I assume it was a cost saving measure. I believe it's a legal requirement to have a stewards in each grandstand open to the public, even if those stewards just sit chatting to each other and never do anything. There were enough other blocks open to accommodate everyone..

Presumably the same reason that the Becketts stand never seems to be open these days.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 07:57 (Ref:4178593)   #221
PeterY
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
PeterY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with lots of series is they are stagnant. The format has been the same for years the circuits don't change the cars are staying the same because of cost of development of a new one. Other than introducing a silly hybrid thing rgs have been the same for quite a few years and don't look like changing anytime soon.

I think it needs mixing up a bit and circuits are a way of doing that, the majority of spectators are on TV so why not use Silverstone GP, Silverstone International as a new layout. I know trackside spectating is not as good maybe as the national but when is Silverstone ever good to spectate at.
Then Anglesey with limited ticket sales as access is an issue but the circuits good and not one thats been used, same with Pembrey. Facilities are limited at both but teams can cater for that and its not like they aren't used to running out of awnings with Thruxton and Knockhill.

Also £43 for a Single day entry ticket is a joke, no wonder less people are turning up to watch
Old 28 Sep 2023, 08:55 (Ref:4178598)   #222
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterY View Post
Also £43 for a Single day entry ticket is a joke, no wonder less people are turning up to watch

I have no opinion one way or another on the rest of post, but as far as the ticket price goes, this all goes back to the problem I raised in another thread (possibly in the F1 section) that Silverstone need to charge high prices to spectators in order to redress the cost of hosting the Grand Prix. I can't find their accounts for the GP in isolation, but it is well known that for years they used to make a considerable loss on just that event.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 09:20 (Ref:4178601)   #223
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I have no opinion one way or another on the rest of post, but as far as the ticket price goes, this all goes back to the problem I raised in another thread (possibly in the F1 section) that Silverstone need to charge high prices to spectators in order to redress the cost of hosting the Grand Prix. I can't find their accounts for the GP in isolation, but it is well known that for years they used to make a considerable loss on just that event.
That may well be the case but the ticket pricing puts people off going - so would they'd be better off charging £25 a ticket and getting 1000 people than charging £43 and getting 100 people (numbers purely for simplicity of maths). Is it a case of by charging more they actually receive less? £43 for a day ticket is definitely in "not a chance" territory for me.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 09:38 (Ref:4178603)   #224
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterY View Post
I think it needs mixing up a bit and circuits are a way of doing that, the majority of spectators are on TV so why not use Silverstone GP, Silverstone International as a new layout. I know trackside spectating is not as good maybe as the national but when is Silverstone ever good to spectate at.
Then Anglesey with limited ticket sales as access is an issue but the circuits good and not one thats been used, same with Pembrey. Facilities are limited at both but teams can cater for that and its not like they aren't used to running out of awnings with Thruxton and Knockhill.
Unfortunately I think the circuits are set in stone for the foreseeable future, Anglesey and Pembrey just don’t have the facilities, infrastructure or pit lane size. Run off areas (probably more at Anglesey) and barriers might not be up to the job either. I think they’d be too narrow and/or tight for BTCC cars anyway.

I’d love to see them try the Silverstone GP circuit as a one-off anniversary-type thing, like they did with the Snetterton Diamond Double, as a longer or two driver race (the latter was recently rumoured). Sadly you go back to the issue of costs, and Gow seems dead against using the full layout in any regard.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 09:40 (Ref:4178604)   #225
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Wow, ticket prices for Silverstone were £43 for Sunday entry. Way way too high. That’s more than a Premier League ticket for my local clubs. These things should be £25-30 tops.
And presumably that’s not including fuel, food and drink, anything like the pit lane passes, grandstand seats, and assuming you’re going on your own…