Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 31 Jul 2004, 11:28 (Ref:1052636)   #201
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Damn I'm looking forward to the NZ V8's this year!! Bloody tragedy that Puke will be closed for much of the season, still, I'll just have to go to Manfeild eh?
I wasn't aware of the latest calendar I must admit, so I was under the impression that the season didn't start until later. I've been moaning for ages that we should have a more spread out season, so I guess I got my wish, eh?

BTW, I still think Russell Coutts is a traitor ;-)
Old 31 Jul 2004, 21:18 (Ref:1052901)   #202
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
Mr Keener should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goat Boy the closing of Puke wont affect the NZV8's.First round is there pre closure and last round in conjunction with the supercar meet.You'll be able to line up at Puke early with Evo,Bazzzz and crew and get your new seasons OTR gear

Last edited by Mr Keener; 31 Jul 2004 at 21:19.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1052906)   #203
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
78 sleeps to go til first race
Old 31 Jul 2004, 21:49 (Ref:1052911)   #204
TKR#1
Rookie

New Zealand
TKR#1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You'll be able to line up at Puke early with Evo,Bazzzz and crew and get your new seasons OTR gear
Mr K, I hope that OTR aren't pinning too much hope on selling heaps of their gear, as I believe you will still see a sea of black around this coming season. If Nick or Evo can't get the TKR gear there then I'll volunteer to drive the little black truck to any N.I. round myself!

Last edited by TKR#1; 31 Jul 2004 at 21:50.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 00:07 (Ref:1052969)   #205
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TKR #1: Without "knowing or naming" numbers, I would have to say that you would be hugely surprised how much merchandise Orix Team Racing actually sell in a season. I don't know what TKR sell in a year, but I would think that they might just struggle to match OTR in merchandise sales and OTR believes that there is more space in the merchandise market for more of their gear.

Perhaps there is some irony that the heads of TKR and OTR were both involved in the BJR/Audi 2-Litre Racing Operation in Australia.

Also everyone, a little history and awareness lesson for you all:
M-A-N-F-I-E-L-D is the name of the racing circuit located on the edge of Fielding township. It was formed by taking the names of the foundation car clubs that helped secure the circuit and its development: M-A-N-uwatu and F-I-E-L-D-ing and combining them.
Absolutely nowhere in the name M-A-N-F-I-E-L-D does the Letter S feature. It never has and never will, but often seems to either because of bad diction, mis-information, poor spelling and grammar, or perhaps ignorance.

Class dismissed

Last edited by Just Do It!; 1 Aug 2004 at 00:10.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 00:38 (Ref:1052980)   #206
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
TKR#1 I totally agree we will see plenty of black as TKR has a lot of grass roots support in NZ.I do wonder though with out a race team locally will that support continue.May not be too much effect if they are only out for a short period of time as suggested by Evo.I personally can't fathom a return though as $ will always be the issue whilst attempting to run in three separate championships.As this season unfolds in NZ new rivalries will form and as the series is getting so much more popular I would imagine new people will naturally follow and support those that are currently racing.

Last edited by Mr Keener; 1 Aug 2004 at 00:39.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 01:18 (Ref:1052991)   #207
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
you might want to wipe some of that egg of your face just do it lol

it's Feilding NOT Fielding
Old 1 Aug 2004, 01:34 (Ref:1052999)   #208
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Goat Boy
Bazzzzzz, I can't beleive that you are so negative.
I'm with Evo 100% here. The trouble is that Kiwis in general can sometimes have negative values like that, and we suffer as a result. If it weren't for the adventurous spirit of mankind, where would we be? I must say the Aussies are quite good at feeling positive about themselves and the things they do, which is probably why they are ahead of us in many respects.

An example I'd like you to think of is the Adelaide street race - the Clipsal 500. People like Brian Rudman in the Herald are always trying to compare the failed Canberra race with the Auckland proposal, but in reality we should be looking to the Adelaide example of just how well it can work. I live in central Auckland, on a main arterial road and I drive to work every day. I don't have a problem with it. I time my run away from when the peaks are, and I arrive at work probably 10 minutes later than I would if I left half an hour earlier. Not everyone is that organized, but with 2 year's notice they should, and will make alternative plans. Just like with APEC.

You may argue all you like, but until the race is actually held (and if) it's all pure conjecture. I say let's be positive and stop complaining - people will think we are a bunch of Poms! I will wager a cyber-beer on my being right!!
So trur Goatboy, I went to Clipsal this year, what an event, It goes to show that with the right planning it can work. Did I mention wifey dropped me off at the gate everyday and there was no congestion. The whole city gets behind it.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 01:39 (Ref:1053001)   #209
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Just Do It!
TKR #1: Without "knowing or naming" numbers, I would have to say that you would be hugely surprised how much merchandise Orix Team Racing actually sell in a season. I don't know what TKR sell in a year, but I would think that they might just struggle to match OTR in merchandise sales and OTR believes that there is more space in the merchandise market for more of their gear.

Perhaps there is some irony that the heads of TKR and OTR were both involved in the BJR/Audi 2-Litre Racing Operation in Australia.

Also everyone, a little history and awareness lesson for you all:
M-A-N-F-I-E-L-D is the name of the racing circuit located on the edge of Fielding township. It was formed by taking the names of the foundation car clubs that helped secure the circuit and its development: M-A-N-uwatu and F-I-E-L-D-ing and combining them.
Absolutely nowhere in the name M-A-N-F-I-E-L-D does the Letter S feature. It never has and never will, but often seems to either because of bad diction, mis-information, poor spelling and grammar, or perhaps ignorance.

Class dismissed
Haha very funny, how much does OTR sell in Australia???
Old 1 Aug 2004, 01:42 (Ref:1053003)   #210
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
bugger all cause as I keep reminding you they are kiwis.Thats like asking how much does TKR sell in
Mongolia.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 01:48 (Ref:1053006)   #211
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Promax: Sorry about that. I knew about the spelling, but used my English skill to mis-spell it. Aaahhh, the anomolies of the English language.

It seems that the "i before e except after c" rule in all f'ed up in the Manuwatu.

Please except my apologies forthwith.

Evo: I don't think OTR need to sell merchandise in Australia, they sell enough in NZ and NZ is where they race.

Do TKR sell much in Oz?
Old 1 Aug 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1053142)   #212
foggy
Rookie

foggy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by promax
you might want to wipe some of that egg of your face just do it lol

it's Feilding NOT Fielding
Also its M A N A W A T U not MANUWATU........
Old 1 Aug 2004, 10:31 (Ref:1053185)   #213
Just Do It!
Veteran

Dear God, please hit me with a bolt of lightening much to the cheer of the 10-10ths folks....Amen
Old 1 Aug 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1053500)   #214
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Keener
Goat Boy the closing of Puke wont affect the NZV8's.First round is there pre closure and last round in conjunction with the supercar meet.You'll be able to line up at Puke early with Evo,Bazzzz and crew and get your new seasons OTR gear
True, Mr Keener, but October to April is a long time between drinks, and an even longer time between races!

Like I said, a trip to Manfeild might just be in order...
Old 1 Aug 2004, 21:09 (Ref:1053533)   #215
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Promax: Sorry about that. I knew about the spelling, but used my English skill to mis-spell it. Aaahhh, the anomolies of the English language.

It seems that the "i before e except after c" rule in all f'ed up in the Manuwatu.

Evo: I don't think OTR need to sell merchandise in Australia, they sell enough in NZ and NZ is where they race.

Do TKR sell much in Oz?
Given the rumoured OTR budget and the fact that I know the total merchandise sales for TKR. I seriously doubt OTR are even in the same ball park. and for the record you sell F all at the race meetings. Also would be interesting to note what stockists throughout NZ sell OTR gear? Can't say I have seen it for sale outside the racetrack.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 21:09 (Ref:1053534)   #216
Rookie

304 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by foggy
Also its M A N A W A T U not MANUWATU........
Who ever said you had to be literate to follow V8's ?

Old 1 Aug 2004, 21:18 (Ref:1053538)   #217
Rookie

304 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Evomike
Given the rumoured OTR budget and the fact that I know the total merchandise sales for TKR. I seriously doubt OTR are even in the same ball park. and for the record you sell F all at the race meetings. Also would be interesting to note what stockists throughout NZ sell OTR gear? Can't say I have seen it for sale outside the racetrack.
YAAWWWWWWWWWWWWN !!!!!!

Hey ! here's an idea.......
Let's actually talk about racing

Keener, give us some goss from the apparently over funded world of OTR. The spies tell me Wayne Anderson was turning a few laps in the #1 car last week. Has Mr Booth been replaced by an older head already?
Old 1 Aug 2004, 21:22 (Ref:1053542)   #218
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by alfasud
The Americas Cup comparison is a red herring. It was never competing with any existing Americas Cup match racing circuit that needed development at Mansfield, Pukekohe or anywere else in NZ. Furthermore, the facilities at Auckland's Viaduct Harbour have not been dismantaled and are available for future watersports events, whether that be powerboats, around the world yachting race or whatever.

Can the same be said about the street race in Auckland - what facilities from the street race will benefit New Zealand motorsport?

Was the Adelaide street race located on one of the major motorway city offramps? If not, it's not a reasonable comparason either.

As for Taupo etc, one of the the reasons these places aren't going ahead is that the sponsorship dollar is going to sucked up by the Auckland street race. The V8 race in Aucklands streets... and the vested interests that are promoting it, are competing for the motorsports sponsorship dollar.... money that should be going into our pemanent circuits. I can understand why people from offshore might favour the street race idea, but I really can't understand why any New Zealand motorsport enthusiast would support the idea.

In this case, I'm biased of course.... I've raced on a New Zealand circuit in the last two years and plan to again. Those that only wish to watch a race on TV probably don't care about the local scene.
Taupo never said they had sponsorship, they said they had the funding in place. The Street Race was announced after the Puke round, and well after Taupo should have started the development. They were to be completed by October so they could hold a PROCAR round. Ross Palmer and Peter Brock visited to make sure (Ultimately PROCAR fell over and it wouldn't have happened anyway) Me thinks there might have been a premature press release about the funding (Much like all the promised development at Puke) Yes I know the drainage is FINALLY being done, but how long have the pipes been sitting there. Years! and for the record I reguarly attend race meetings (Including Alfa Club). The reason I don't race, is because I have been sponsoring others who I believe will make it, this is for the betterment of the sport. and finally would you be happy paying increased entrance fees for upgraded facilities? or do you grumble at the current cost to hire a curcuit?
Old 1 Aug 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1053582)   #219
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
That's an interesting point Evo. I myself would not mind paying a little more for being able to keep my feet dry and sit under cover, not to mention keeping the splashes off my shoes in a decent toilet facility!
The V8 SC entry fee is expensive, sure, but most of that goes to AVESCO and the promoters. It may be a bit different for local racing.

What we don't want I suppose is to put actual teams off racing, so perhaps bigger track sponsorship is required. I hear Emirates have a dollar or two to spare... :-)
Old 1 Aug 2004, 22:56 (Ref:1053600)   #220
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

Do TKR sell much in Oz?
don't worry about it lol
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:35 (Ref:1053823)   #221
Just Do It!
Veteran

I am not worried, Promax.

So is the renewed rumour I heard today of a certain Holden mega team being for sale true or porkies??
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:39 (Ref:1053830)   #222
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a good reason someone could offer me to explain why the teams who have sponsers on board and plans underway, are not making more noise about the upcoming season and therefore giving the sponser some early exposure?

The sponsers plaster the cars with their names, surely they would like exposure for as long as possible?
Old 2 Aug 2004, 10:04 (Ref:1053856)   #223
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
304 dont know about Wayne Anderson doing laps etc.You are obviously closer to the source than me.Evo dont know nuthin about OTR merchandise other than I am surprised you wont be lining up to get some.Blueblood I do know that Ryobi are running a major promotion in hardware stores highlighting their involvement in OTR during August and September so thats pretty good exposure.I also know there is some additional sponsors about to press release their involvement into the sport in NZ so thats good.I have asked all the members of the house of Keen to scrape behind the lounge chair so there should be another injection of funds shortly.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 10:06 (Ref:1053859)   #224
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
By the way this weeks Auto Trader featured a 3 page spread on my favourite team so thats pretty good off season exposure.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1053887)   #225
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Does anybody think that the name V8 Touring Cars sounds a little pedestrian? Considering they are anything but that - it's not like the drivers are just rouring, is it? A certain blonde driver has suggested that perhaps the NZ V8's would inspire more fanaticism...
Not that we are all boofheads like the Aussies, but you know...

Last edited by Goat Boy; 2 Aug 2004 at 10:32.