Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 5 Nov 2017, 04:11 (Ref:3778713)   #201
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I screen out most of the media. I don't buy newspapers and the like so my exposure to 'celebrity Hamilton' is limited. I like it that he has some appreciation of the history of the sport and from what I've seen of him he's become more gracious and dignified in recent years. I think he's more interesting than Nico Rosberg but less interesting than Alonso, Verstappen and Kimi. He's doesn't annoy me nearly as much as Red Bull era Vettel did. So that's kinda my take on him - he's OK and not a bad lad. I don't see the soccer player arrogance that some seem to be seeing?

Does he deserve a knighthood? Tbh, honours systems don't carry much moral weight with me; they just seem to be a device to raise the popularity of the establishment. So I'm indifferent to the matter. I suppose if you take it all at face value you'd weigh up his contribution to the industry and any charitable work he's done and give him an award proportionate to that.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 06:38 (Ref:3778736)   #202
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
This thread is going round in circles.
Does it have the lap record?
Old 5 Nov 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3778777)   #203
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
No, but track limits have been violated a few times ....!
Old 5 Nov 2017, 11:10 (Ref:3778781)   #204
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I mean he was British, but does he actually live here at all anymore? Other than to visit his team and the British GP?

Some people ahve an issue with it, that's all
Old 5 Nov 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3778784)   #205
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
Old 5 Nov 2017, 11:17 (Ref:3778785)   #206
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I seem to remember reading Jim Clark was only allowed to visit Britain a few days in 1967, because he lived abroad in France. Plus ca change as they say at Le Mans
Old 5 Nov 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3778792)   #207
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I mean he was British, but does he actually live here at all anymore? Other than to visit his team and the British GP?

A lot of British people don't live in Britain. I never once heard anyone say that about Jenson, or DC, or anyone else for that matter. People just love to hate Hamilton.

Vettel lived in the UK for some of his Red Bull years. I guess he was a Brit, and not German. The red top newspapers would have your head for having the German as a Brit.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3778797)   #208
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Guess that means that Jackie Stewart wasn't British, neither was coulthard, button rosberg wasn't German OR Finnish, Mo Farah is American as is David Beckham. I guess we will have to disown quite a few of our sports stars and Sirs if you want to judge if someone is British, depending on wether they still live in the country.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3778800)   #209
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Guess that means that Jackie Stewart wasn't British, neither was coulthard, button rosberg wasn't German OR Finnish, Mo Farah is American as is David Beckham. I guess we will have to disown quite a few of our sports stars and Sirs if you want to judge if someone is British, depending on wether they still live in the country.
Yeah, but I tell you what, the second Usain Bolt steps foot in Scotland, we're kidnapping him and claiming him. He can live in Glasgow somewhere. This changes everything.

Also Adam. There's clearly something wrong with your location and flag. Normally I would suspect this is an attempt at some sort of humour, but that is unlike you.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3778801)   #210
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Yeah, but I tell you what, the second Usain Bolt steps foot in Scotland, we're kidnapping him and claiming him. He can live in Glasgow somewhere. This changes everything.
Haha...yeh but can you imagine him with a Scottish accent 😜

Haha believe it or not, I have a sense of humour....I just shake my head in utter bemusement at some people's blindness and bias against anything pro Hamilton. Hell Im not saying he's the messiah...but some on here really do need to take their heads out of their asses and give credit where it's due

Ps it's not all that bad on here.,,,don't ever go onto the BBC website post GP.....that REALLY brings the freaks out 😂
Old 5 Nov 2017, 12:09 (Ref:3778802)   #211
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Good one!

Richard
Old 5 Nov 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3778805)   #212
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Also Adam. There's clearly something wrong with your location and flag. Normally I would suspect this is an attempt at some sort of humour, but that is unlike you.
Not an attempt at humour, it is to make sure people can't have a little joke at my expense. So no one laughs at me I'm also going to get a dog and record some music.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 12:32 (Ref:3778808)   #213
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
No, too much oversteer, it makes the corners a little tricky.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 12:33 (Ref:3778809)   #214
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Old 6 Nov 2017, 06:25 (Ref:3778946)   #215
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:

Quote:
For Gods sake what a pathetic argument?
Old 6 Nov 2017, 06:26 (Ref:3778947)   #216
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
but some on here really do need to take their heads out of their asses
100% agree. I've said exactly that before too.
Careful though, you might receive a red dot for speaking the truth.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3778958)   #217
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK tell yourself this.

Do you feel ANY pride in him winning as a Briton?

If you do fair enough. But I do not, to me he is simply an international person who grew up here, like a David Beckham or Nick Faldo, they spend all of their time on planes or living in tax havens, and cling to their nationality as a link to their past and to their fans who they hope to sell merch to.

I feel no pride as a Briton in Lewis winning, he does not represent me.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but that is just how I feel.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3778962)   #218
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great driver. I just don't like his personality. Same as I didn't like Senna's personality, I don't need to justify my position. So, if he gets the knighthood then fine, but there are many others who should have got that (John Surtees for one) and didn't.

As to living in a tax haven? Jim Clarke and Jackie Stewart, to name two, are also "guilty" of that. Doesn't/didn't make them less British.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3778963)   #219
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow Chunder that's a pretty sad view of the world. Let's open our eyes a little wider. All those OAPs having a great time in their retirement on the Costas (I don't mean the coffee shop!), by your definition they're not British. There are several members here who work overseas and can only come back a certain number of days for tax reasons who aren't the super rich - are they less British than you?

What about the other way round? Aussies, Europeans, Africans, Americans, all living in the UK and earning money here. Should they revoke their nationality?

Chunder, you've said some pretty provocative things in the past to stir up a hornets' nest but that's just plain daft to suit your prejudices.

Should Hamilton be given a knighthood? Frankly I don't give a ****, the best part of it is that all this keyboard fury is generating AdWords revenue for the site owners so this excellent forum can keep going. Apart from that, it really doesn't matter. If he feels good about getting it and people enjoy bestowing it, then why not? It really doesn't affect 99.9% of us.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Nov 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3778965)   #220
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
and cling to their nationality as a link to their past
This statement sits a little uncomfortable with me. Not offended as such, but feel it is a slightly cynical view.

My wife could be considered International', having been born outside the UK and not living there until later in life, although registered as British. When we talk about visiting 'home' nowadays, I know she always has a tinge of sadness as I feel that I am a Salopian having grown up there, whereas she feels no links to any particular place.

I haven't lived in Shropshire for many years, including a lot of time outside the UK, but still see myself as a Salopian Brit. I don't see how it should be different for Lewis - part of who he is will come from where he was born and raised, which makes him British to me and his achievements give me a sense of national pride.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 09:20 (Ref:3778969)   #221
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Nigel Farage isn't British because he spent too much time in Belgium.

Old 6 Nov 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3778981)   #222
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Do you feel ANY pride in him winning as a Briton?
Yes.

Next.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 10:05 (Ref:3778982)   #223
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
MG, If you are inferring anything to do with race or colour then that says more about you then me and is rather embarrassing for your yourself.
Hypocritical don't you think??? You bought up the race card and tried to turn it around on MG. Truth of the matter is, it is YOU who has issues with his race and nationality. Says more about you, and rather embarrassed yourself.

I figure you're not alone on this forum in having an issue with Hamilton's race/heritage. But at least you can admit it, while others will find every and any excuse they can to dislike/hate him, while hiding behind their bigotry.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3778997)   #224
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Hypocritical don't you think??? You bought up the race card and tried to turn it around on MG. Truth of the matter is, it is YOU who has issues with his race and nationality. Says more about you, and rather embarrassed yourself.

I figure you're not alone on this forum in having an issue with Hamilton's race/heritage. But at least you can admit it, while others will find every and any excuse they can to dislike/hate him, while hiding behind their bigotry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Agreed; seems to me that some people will find any old reason to dislike him.
I have my own theory on the real reason, which will go unsaid but doesn't require a great leap of imagination to guess.
No, this is the guy who brought up race, but in your words, "hid behind his bigotry and didn't admit it".
Old 6 Nov 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3778998)   #225
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I bought up the race card as there was an unspoken hint in a post that was why I did not like him, I have no idea if that is what was meant, as no-one would ever admit accusing someone of that either on here or privately. As is the case with that poster.

I have absolutely no problem with it, but I do not feel any pride in him winning, not because he is black or of mixed race, but because he doesn't live in Britain and likely never will again. I am not patriotic at the best of times but struggle with false Britness a little that's all. People with money from sport or any other profession like to use tax havens and tax dodging routinely, It annoys me, and motorsport is full of them.

You can try and spin my words around me as much as you like to suit yourself laddo, but I have no issue whatsoever with him being of mixed race or having Grenedan heritage or anything.

My issue is basically that he is an ex pat waving flags in my face and being a pseudo Brit while living abroad for tax reasons, would be the same with Button, Coulthard, anyone who did it. Toseland, Crutchlow etc. Some of them do it in a way that seems almost OK, and others don't wave flags at all or play that card.

The rich have their own rules, we all know that, and for that reason alone most knighthoods are a farce when you consider that for me most people who served in the military for life or life long NHS nurses deserve them far, far more.

On basic terms he deserves it, he has done something no other Brit has done, won 4 world titles. Did Steve Davis or Stephen Hendry get them for winning multiple snooker world titles? Or Phil Taylor for winning countless darts titles? Are they less deserving than Chris Hoy, or Steve Redgrave? Stirling won one for not even winning it!

Some will say they are, but I think the ability to be that good for that long deserves recognition. They don't have car advantages, power advantages, people to chalk their cue for them or take their darts out of the board.

Last edited by chunder; 6 Nov 2017 at 11:52.
Closed Thread