Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 14 Sep 2003, 19:21 (Ref:718750)   #201
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry I missed being in the chatroom, but i was still recovering from last nights drinking session and forgot about it, ooops.

Sounds like everything went ok anyway.

I will try and make it to the race on tuesday.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 19:36 (Ref:718767)   #202
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do you have a new wheel yet Tony?
Old 14 Sep 2003, 19:58 (Ref:718792)   #203
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by ozywoodwards
....i was miles behind ayse and miles ahead of whoever was behind me, i didn't see much point in coninuing.

You were 5 seconds behind me with 15 laps to go. All you needed was one off-line moment from me and that would have been it.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 20:00 (Ref:718794)   #204
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
He ditched it a second time (after our coming together) a lap later.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 20:01 (Ref:718798)   #205
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Makes no difference.

I was hugely peeved.

But I'll get over it.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 20:02 (Ref:718800)   #206
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Not justifying it, I felt the same!
Old 14 Sep 2003, 22:11 (Ref:718884)   #207
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm sorry guys but i thought this whole praccy race thing was more just a test session with people trying out different set-ups etc. i didn't think it was a serious race, really just a chance to get some more laps under our belts.

trust me i didnt want to create this ill feeling, i just wasnt looking at the race as any kind of event. thats all.
Old 14 Sep 2003, 22:16 (Ref:718889)   #208
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
about the accident, can i first just point out that i'm not in any way angry about it at all, in fact I'm glad it happened as I feel it is a good opportunity to help clear up some grey areas in the rules.

would it be possible for the officials to say whether or not this incident would have resulted in any kind of action by them if it had happened in the real TTFL race, i.e. damon was at fault, or was I or was it just a racing incident.

i think that would help to clarify the rules and let everybody know where they stand in relation to rules about overtaking and hiting others etc. i would personally say that damon avoidably hit me from behind, although of course completely unintentionally, and would therfore get a minor reprimand as stated in the rules. i must stress that this is my view on the incident as if I was an unaffected observer, and if it had been the other way round and it had been me hitting damon then i would expect myself to be punished in that situation.

what are the others opinions on this?
Old 14 Sep 2003, 22:43 (Ref:718916)   #209
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I'll concede that I doubt I'd have gone for that gap had it been during the race for real, but from my point of view the gap did get somewhat narrower after I had commited to the pass than it was before hand. With these things you can't afford to "drive as if no one was there" as that will cause contact (watch how I gave room to Ayse 3 corners earlier on the off chance he had stayed alongside me under braking into turn one). No hard feelings from me however, I see it as a racing incident and had it been the real race I'd have served my stop-go as set out in the rules. As you say though, it's best this happened now rather than when the season is in full flight.

Just a by the by though, as you can gauge from Aysedasi's reaction, we don't particularly like people disconnecting after a couple of off's, the league was set up as a means of avioding that sort of thing, which smacks a little of throwing your toys out of the pram because things aren't going your way, no matter where people are on the circuit, it's more fun and productive for all concerned to have as many people running as possible. If you do come off with 15 laps to go, why not try running to little quicker or experiment with some new lines?

Anyway, hope that all makes sence and it is in no way meant as a snipe at you or anyone else, lets hope such debates are not needed during the rest of the season .
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:37 (Ref:719128)   #210
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm not a TTFL official, so I can't give you an official line. As far as I was concerned, it was a very typical GPL racing incident. There are so many of these caused by the very limited view that the driver has in GPL - we need to remember that when taking our "line" - there just may be someone there - at T1 on he same lap, I deliberately eased off because I knew Damon was on the line beside me (I had looked left comng down the straight). If I hadn't specifically eased off, we would have touched. In these situations, someone has to do that. If no one does - you have a racing accident.

As far as the end of the race is concerned, Owen, you effectively ended the race, thee was no point in it continuing. I was enjoying it as I guess was Damon. I appreciate it was only the practice race, but it certainly did smack of sour grapes. I don't think you would have disco'd all the time you were in the lead......?
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:38 (Ref:719129)   #211
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I would not have expected anyreprimands for the accident. It is arguable in my mind that you were each to blame to an extent.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 07:11 (Ref:719187)   #212
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Leaving the disco issue totally alone now - I've said enough about that....

I agree with Owen that it's good that this has happened now, rather than in race 1 proper. There are lessons to be learned, I think. It is important to realise that gaps you might go for if you were driving a real car with real mirrors are sometimes not good enough gaps in GPL. I'm not criticising Damon or Owen - as I said, I saw it as a racing accident - although I did think it was going to happen, sooner or later.

There is responsibility here on both drivers when they are going for position. The following driver must recognise that the field of view which the driver in front has is limited. I think back to the practice race at Rouen last year where a similar situation occurred (and to the Mosport race, to some extent). The leading driver, however, cannot always rely on the "I was in the lead and I took my usual line" routine, sometimes you will have to give best.

We all have to be as aware as possible of the positions of the cars around us.

If anyone particularly wants me to, I'll extract a brief replay and send it to Tony, but, to be frank, I really do think it was one of those racing accidents which are bound to occur from time to time.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 15:51 (Ref:719664)   #213
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In an incident as hard to call as the one above, it should always be left to Tony to sort out. He has the last word after all.

On another unrelated note, i had a bit of a scare with the computer last nite. It wouldn't start! Some uninstaller had mucked up and broken it. When it asked for the computer to be restarted, it never started up again completely, just froze.
Luckily a System Restore did the trick, but had it needed anything else, it would have had to have waited till the weekend.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:48 (Ref:719734)   #214
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

From what I can tell about the incident (and without seeing it I cannot fully tell) that it was a 50/50 incident. Yes Damon dived for the inside, but Ozy did seem (from what is written) to close the door. A racing incident.

This is the art of Online racing, overtaking. It is not as simple as diving up the inside of someone, both drivers have to use there brains and give each other room. Then there is the dreaded warp, it could happen to any one regardless of connections, so you as the drivers have to give a bit more room. It does take a bit of practice though.

The aim of the Pracice server is to get an hour of deadicated practice in the cars and on the track for the race. The race part is just there to have fun, try a full race distance, learn how the cars handle on full fuel etc, etc, etc.

As for my wheel, I have not found one that I like yet, I want a good one with a separate shift stick at a sensible price. Plus money has been tight and I'd rather race in Club 100 (2nd in rookie championship atm, 3 rounds to go.) than buy a wheel atm, But I want one soon as the evenings will start drawing in. I will be back. especially as Racing Legends is coming along well.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:54 (Ref:719736)   #215
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hate to say this, but there is some talk Racing Legends could be a hoax
Old 15 Sep 2003, 17:31 (Ref:719765)   #216
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
What is racing Legends?
Old 15 Sep 2003, 17:34 (Ref:719767)   #217
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

I know alot more than most people about this game and I can tell you that if it is a hoax, then lots other issues will be involved.

It will take time but the Wests will get it done. The Wests are putting alot on the line for this, more than you will know, so I can not see them throwing in the towel.

If we want a Racing Legends thread then start one up., and we will leave this to GPL
Old 15 Sep 2003, 18:43 (Ref:719864)   #218
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, I'm not qualified to start one, I know zilch about it. But if anyone else wants to.....
Old 15 Sep 2003, 18:43 (Ref:719866)   #219
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK, so you have already........

A case of look before you post.....
Old 15 Sep 2003, 21:13 (Ref:720057)   #220
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Right, sorry to have got off track there...

Guys, i really wonder the point of racing tomorrow if i know i'm gonna get cut-course penalties due to my connection. It will happen at Zandvoort and Mexico too. And at Silverstone. Those are the only tracks i get effected to my knowledge. Never happened at the Ring, Monaco, Spa, Rouen, Monza, Sarthe, Goodwood, Snett67, glen, and the others i have no idea.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 22:20 (Ref:720109)   #221
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
May as well play it by ear pirenzo. Turn up and see how it goes, the more the merrier I say.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 23:24 (Ref:720158)   #222
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
can you not just continue to race, and we will vouch for you not cutting the corners after the race. we dont necessarially need the official timings.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 23:31 (Ref:720165)   #223
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'd certainly rather you raced.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 07:05 (Ref:720325)   #224
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
So what am i to do?

race, take my penalties, and just live with it?

Race, ignore the penalties?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 07:08 (Ref:720329)   #225
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Again, its really for Tony to say, but I would suggest you race on regardless (unless its obvious that a penalty was rightly imposed for whatever.....).

I'm concerned about turn-out for our first race. Spud seems to have problems, Tony still has his wheel problems, I'm not sure about Rob's position, or whether Simon can make it. Is there anyone else?