Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Dec 2008, 07:58 (Ref:2359555)   #2276
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
bent65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way some great photos GTR! I have not seen any photos of Noske in Mobil colours. A photo may be able to work out which car he ended up with.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 08:01 (Ref:2359556)   #2277
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Noske was definitely at Symmons Plains and Winton (see photos on pg 30 and 43 of The Great Race 1990)

According to the text he also raced at Phillip Island. This can be confirmed by the TV (The Noske car is the Sierra that takes to the grass around the outside of a stationary Brock in the Southern Loop on lap one).

The Sierra was white with black sign writing. Brock Shop?

Noske became "part-time" team manager from Lakeside onwards with Miedecke stepping into the Noske car.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2359557)   #2278
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bent65
By the way some great photos GTR! I have not seen any photos of Noske in Mobil colours. A photo may be able to work out which car he ended up with.
White car with white roll cage.

The only reference to Mobil I can see was a sticker on the headlight covers.

Last edited by chavez; 22 Dec 2008 at 08:06. Reason: sppeling
Old 22 Dec 2008, 08:10 (Ref:2359559)   #2279
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Brand new Frank Gardner built LHD chassis, from a Rouse kit, but suitably "Frank-ed". Run in 1989 with Mr Longhurst as #25.
Did they get it out of the shed? I would think a fresh car and left hook would be a better choice for bathurst. History proved them right and me wrong!!

Quote:
Mr Crichton stepped into one of the ex-Wolf chassis as #20, which was updated with most of the stuff from the #25 RHD Bathurst winner... as most of the Wolf running gear seemed to have ended up with Mr Mathews when he bought the '88 winner...
Just worked out how to break up quote replies.
I thought the Freeport livery of the B&H/ Mathews/museum was pretty nice its a shame it was only the one car and we will never see it again. It was the first sierra to take a win off DJR.

What happened to the left hook DJR car? Hansford I think? Andy?

Does anyone know the quickest time around Amaroo in a sierra? 50.84?
Old 22 Dec 2008, 08:10 (Ref:2359560)   #2280
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
This is a shot from ATCC but do you know what year? WDJr may be able to answer this but is it possible that this car is either the repaired Sheene shunt car or the first (Advantage Racing) Mobil built car? If their own built car did not appear till Sandown '89 then this should be from (pre DJR wheel) 1990? I would think this is their own built car by the non- motorsport guards and the centre airjack but its possible the Sheene repair required a new front. Does anyone have details/photo of the Sheene damage?
The picture is from 1990.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 08:19 (Ref:2359562)   #2281
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez
White car with white roll cage.

The only reference to Mobil I can see was a sticker on the headlight covers.
This would confirm that Miedecke did roll the Noske car as it was white caged. I did notice the white sierra going around Brock when he got tapped on first lap, but my footage is too grainy to make out. I can only see that its not Mobil livery.

PB dragged a 30 foot camera cable around for a few laps also!

So if the Noske car is the only white interiored Mobil car is it the repaired sheene car or a customer car from Advantage or the other rouse car? The timeline suggests that it be one of the Rouse cars repaired or otherwise.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 08:34 (Ref:2359569)   #2282
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I wonder if the repaired (Sheene) silver caged car is one of these?
The answer to the Barry Sheene 'major major sausage' crash pics...

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 22 Dec 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2359575)   #2283
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Noske car is most likely the repaired/reshelled Sheene car. Barry Lake's writeup in Modern Motor on his test drive of the #05 Sierra has a picture of the car post-crash. The magazine's sitting around here somewhere...

EDIT: Looks like GTRMagic beat me to it! BTW, where on earth did you find those pictures of the Brock Sierra (and the M3 that's on one of the other threads)? I've never seen either of those before!

Noske drove the car at Symmons Plains, Phillip Island, and Winton. The livery of the car isn't very well documented by either Racing Car News or the 1990 ATCC review DVD; the pictures (from Symmons Plains) that chavez mentions in the 1990 Great Race book are the best ones I can find. This is my approximation:

The LHD DJR car went to TrakStar in England for the 1989 BTCC, where the car was driven by Mike Smith.

There were two ex-Wolf Sierras at B&H Racing, originally earmarked for use in the 1988 ATCC by Robbie Francevic. In fact, Robbie drove one of the cars at the Winton round. However, there was a lot of dispute over the legality of the car and, in the end, they didn't see any further use until the two cars were sold at the end of the year to Longhurst.

I'm still working on scanning that picture of Brock unloading the ex-ICS Rouse Sierra.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 10:31 (Ref:2359628)   #2284
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
I think Ron O'Brien wanted $60K for the Caltex car when I saw it, should have bought it in hindsight. The trouble with running them as historic cars is the budget you'd need to keep them running, just ask Bob Tweedie and he's got lots of the stuff, just ask him.
I understood that the O'Brien Sierra was pretty rough when it was eventually put up for sale...

In which livery would you have restored it?

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 22 Dec 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2359645)   #2285
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car 8 livery

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 22 Dec 2008, 11:40 (Ref:2359656)   #2286
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
I think it would have to be Option C: two back-to-back ATCC race wins, giving Bondy an outside shot in the four-way title showdown at Oran Park; surely it would have to be this livery. Plus it looks so good!

Plus, the cars in the first two pictures aren't the car in question. Although it did race in the first livery, a third at Bathurst and front-row starts at Mallala and Winton don't quite cut it compared to what was achieved in the other livery IMHO.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2359667)   #2287
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Did they get it out of the shed? I would think a fresh car and left hook would be a better choice for bathurst. History proved them right and me wrong!!

Notice the Bond-inspired red Ford badge on the front
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 22 Dec 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2359669)   #2288
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
The Noske car is most likely the repaired/reshelled Sheene car. Barry Lake's writeup in Modern Motor on his test drive of the #05 Sierra has a picture of the car post-crash. The magazine's sitting around here somewhere...

This is the car I reckon was the Noske-mobile...

Not to be confused with...

.. which was the 2nd Miedecke Oxo car (after Don Smith rolled the original @ Sandown in '87)
This one was burnd to the ground on the same weekend Mr Finnigan had his fiery shunt!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 22 Dec 2008, 12:38 (Ref:2359674)   #2289
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Was there ever an ugly Sierra livery??

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 22 Dec 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2359725)   #2290
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

same car correct?

Quote:

If that is the case then Noske would have been racing the car while it was still owned by Miedecke. The sale of it to the Brock/Mobil team didn't happen until after Winton, as WDJ posted earlier. Is this a likely scenario.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2360111)   #2291
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
There were two ex-Wolf Sierras at B&H Racing, originally earmarked for use in the 1988 ATCC by Robbie Francevic. In fact, Robbie drove one of the cars at the Winton round. However, there was a lot of dispute over the legality of the car and, in the end, they didn't see any further use until the two cars were sold at the end of the year to Longhurst.
Interesting that the brand new, left hand drive Sierra debuted by Mr Longhurst & Mr Jones at Bathurst in 1990 had a B&H mustard coloured rollcage and interior.... while the Wolf cars were dark grey....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 23 Dec 2008, 11:37 (Ref:2360115)   #2292
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69

same car correct?

If that is the case then Noske would have been racing the car while it was still owned by Miedecke. The sale of it to the Brock/Mobil team didn't happen until after Winton, as WDJ posted earlier. Is this a likely scenario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by From the 1990 Great Race book, P51
Miedecke was now in the ex-Tony Noske Brock Sierra, and his old car had become the team's spare
talking about the Lakeside round.... so the car that got wrecked was the one Mr Noske had run earlier that season
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 23 Dec 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2360150)   #2293
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
talking about the Lakeside round.... so the car that got wrecked was the one Mr Noske had run earlier that season
The pic of #6 on P149 of the Great Race book of 1990 shows the Miedecke car as having a blue cage... so perhaps not the ex-Noske (presumably ex-Miedecke...) rollover car?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 24 Dec 2008, 01:22 (Ref:2360532)   #2294
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:

Not to be confused with...

.. which was the 2nd Miedecke Oxo car (after Don Smith rolled the original @ Sandown in '87)
This one was burnd to the ground on the same weekend Mr Finnigan had his fiery shunt!
The third Miedecke car (after Smith rollover and after BBQ at lakeside) I dont believe can be the Noske car as they have totally different cage configuration.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 02:10 (Ref:2360541)   #2295
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Murray Carters Sierra, was it ex GSR, Lakeside crash ? I know he was always putting windscreens in it from shell movement.

David
Old 24 Dec 2008, 02:58 (Ref:2360556)   #2296
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
I think it would have to be Option C: two back-to-back ATCC race wins, giving Bondy an outside shot in the four-way title showdown at Oran Park; surely it would have to be this livery. Plus it looks so good!

Plus, the cars in the first two pictures aren't the car in question. Although it did race in the first livery, a third at Bathurst and front-row starts at Mallala and Winton don't quite cut it compared to what was achieved in the other livery IMHO.
The car at the top is his '88 ATCC car and whilst similar, the red livery up the side back window is striped instead of solid, different cage etc. This is the car I think is arguably his most successful ATCC car. He poled at Amaroo and was second in title till a few engine dramas at the end when they chased more ponies. He came third in ATCC which is his highest finish in the group A era. He won the 1988 AMSCAR Series in this car. This is also probably the first Austalian built Cosworth sierra, built by Don Smith around sept '86 and the first legal cossie to ever finish bathurst. Would love to find out but may hold quickest sierra lap of Amaroo of 50.84sec. I guess I am a fan of the livery as well.

The second car is the Mathews car that Bondy ran a couple of times in the ATCC and was second car for a couple of Bathursts. Great livery but would always be better in B&H Bathurst winning '88 livery.

The third livery is one of the colours the car in the panel shop photos appeared in. The person that owns the car intends to restore it in its Bathurst '88 livery (similar to top pic) as he sees it as most significant. I guess always a matter of opinion.

WDJr I am still impressed with your knowledge and recall of these touring cars. If you get a chance when you are next looking at RCN's ETC could you have alook at Amaroo sierra times?
Old 24 Dec 2008, 03:08 (Ref:2360557)   #2297
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:

Notice the Bond-inspired red Ford badge on the front
Hi GTR. I meant does anyone know if they got their left hooker out of the garage at Bathurst in '88? I would like to know why Frank or Tony decided to run the RHD car. I was wondering if the LHD car circulated/practiced and wasnt as good at that time???

Thats a great display at the museum.
The car in this photo was sitting in Terry Ashwoods restaurant for awhile after its resto.I was told that B&H/ Amatil bought it and restored it and donated it to the museum. Note the Freeport white engine bay and interior.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 03:20 (Ref:2360560)   #2298
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5
What about Murray Carters Sierra, was it ex GSR, Lakeside crash ? I know he was always putting windscreens in it from shell movement.

David
I would have thought not being as it started life as Black Nettcom and predated GSR sierra days.

Bob Tweedie claims his car was built from a genuine rs500 which would seem incorrect as it doesnt have the correct chassis number for a 500. Also what happened to the second GSR sierra?

To narrow down the Mobil car timeline/ID we need to find a photo of the cars that were offered for sale. Does anyone know who bought the cars/package. Someone mentioned Mike Steele had two?
The Peter Champion Car is Blue inside and Brocky considered it a Rouse car.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 03:32 (Ref:2360561)   #2299
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
Brand new Frank Gardner built LHD chassis, from a Rouse kit, but suitably "Frank-ed". Run in 1989 with Mr Longhurst as #25.

Mr Crichton stepped into one of the ex-Wolf chassis as #20, which was updated with most of the stuff from the #25 RHD Bathurst winner... as most of the Wolf running gear seemed to have ended up with Mr Mathews when he bought the '88 winner...

There was an ad on Truckhub a while ago offering for sale the DAF B&H prime mover that Mr Crichton brought to the B&H team as part of the deal to drive all the way back then....
Thanks for that GTR. I wasnt sure as i read (WDJr I think) that there were two Petch/Francevic Wolf cars and were sitting in a workshop that was broken into but not stolen. There only appeared to be one Petch/Francevic car campaigned so was wondering what came of the other car. Though it might have been acquired by the B&H team and was their first LHD taken but not raced at Bathurst '88. I havent checked the timeline to see if this is possible.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 03:38 (Ref:2360562)   #2300
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
If you get a chance when you are next looking at RCN's ETC could you have alook at Amaroo sierra times?
I'll list the times of the pole sitter, the fastest Sierra (the times when the fastest Sierra isn't on pole), and the time and grid position of the Bond car.

1987 (Sierra RS Cosworth)
Amaroo ATCC:
Dick Johnson, P3, 52.06s

1988 (Sierra RS500 Cosworth)
AMSCAR Rd.1:
Colin Bond, P1, 52.33s

AMSCAR Rd.2:
Tony Longhurst, P1, 51.01s
Dick Johnson, P2, 51.05s
Colin Bond, P3, 51.07s

AMSCAR Rd.3:
Colin Bond, P1, 50.76s (ATCC Rd.8)

AMSCAR Rd.4:
Tony Longhurst, P1, 51.42s
Colin Bond, P2, 51.48s

AMSCAR Rd.1 (ATCC Rd.1):
Dick Johnson, P1, 51.16s
Colin Bond, P9, 52.94s

AMSCAR Rd.2 (wet track):
Brian Callaghan (TWR VL Commodore), P1, 56.32s
Tony Longhurst, P3, 57.26s
Colin Bond, P4, 57.58s

AMSCAR Rd.3:
Colin Bond, P1, 51.40s

AMSCAR Rd.4:
Tony Longhurst, P1, 51.18s
Colin Bond, P3, 53.32s

AMSCAR Rd.1 (ATCC Rd.1):
Alan Jones, P1, 52.14s
Colin Bond, P17, 54.66s

AMSCAR Rd.2:
Tony Longhurst, P1, 51.18s
Colin Bond, P2, 51.30s

AMSCAR Rd.3:
Tony Longhurst, P1, 50.88s
Colin Bond, P2, 51.12s

AMSCAR Rd.1:
Mark Skaife (Nissan GT-R), P1, 50.66s
Colin Bond, P3, 51.58s

ATCC Rd.6:
John Bowe, P1, 50.58s (fastest Sierra qualifying time in my records)
Colin Bond, P8, 51.68s

I don't have any data from any other AMSCAR rounds.

I don't have any qualifying times from the ATCC round.

AMSCAR Rd.2:
Tony Longhurst (BMW M3 Evo), P1, 50.84s
Colin Bond, P2, 50.88s (fastest qualifying time for Bond's Sierra in my records)

AMSCAR Rd.3:
Mark Skaife (Nissan GT-R), P1, 50.88s
Colin Bond, P4, 51.28s

Last edited by William Dale Jr; 24 Dec 2008 at 03:41.